Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres
TBS Orders 22 More Episodes for American Dad!; Hulu Orders Amy Poehler Comedy
Pop Launches Jan. 14, 2015 with 90210, Melrose Place; Mike & Molly Returns Monday, Dec. 8 on CBS
Honeymooners on Thanksgiving on WPIX in NY; Bounce TV Sitcom Family Time Striving in 2nd Season
Week 8 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Millers Gets the Axe; Dharma & Greg Returns to DVD; New Carol Burnett DVDs of Early Years
Boy Meets World Holiday Reunion on Girl Meets World Dec. 5; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 17, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Biggrin Then & Now: Former Soap Star Marcy Walker Smith!

Far removed from show business, she is now director of children's ministries at a church in Charlotte, NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0_422a1_ba4fdcf6_L.jpg (34.8 KB, 0 views)

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I didn't realize Marcy had left the show business world and is now living in Charlotte. Hope she's happy & healthy!

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Biggrin

Yup - here are some articles about it:

http://marcywalkeronline.tripod.com/pages/press014.htm

Marcy Walker Chooses Faith Over Soaps

Jamaica Gleaner News
published: Saturday | March 4, 2006

MARCY WALKER (ex-Liza, All My Children; ex-Eden, Santa Barbara; ex-Tangie, Guiding Light) faced a choice: Stay on soaps, where her characters schemed and bed-hopped their way around the morality gamut, or find a better place to put her gift for communicating with people.

Walker chose the path that she believes was waiting for her to take for a long time, and now she says she couldn't be happier.

Divorced three times (one of her exes is Days of Our Lives star Billy Warlock), she's been married since 1999 to Doug Smith and is known to her fellow parishioners in the Lake Forest Community Church in Cornelius, N.C., as Marcy Smith, the director of children's ministries.

Smith had grown up in a religious home and carried her faith into her adult life. For example, she taught Sunday school while working on the New York soaps, and also filled in at bible school. But it was the death of several colleagues over the past few years that made her question why she was working as a performer when she could be doing something she felt was more important with her gift for reaching people, and that was helping children understand God.

After leaving her role as Liza Colby on AMC in 2004, she and her husband moved to Huntersville, N.C., in 2005, where she began her new life. She says her agent still calls her, and she still takes a peek at the soap magazines in the supermarket. But she believes her path is set, and she intends to stay on it.

Meanwhile, Colby Chandler, Liza's daughter with Adam (David Canary), is coming back to Pine Valley as a teenager. Word is Liza may also return at some point, but Marcy Walker (Smith) is not expected to reprise the role.

She's found her 'Guiding Light'
Former soap star will talk about faith at home and garden show
By LAUREN WILLIAMSON
Record Staff Writer

Thursday, March 2, 2006

HICKORY - Marcy Walker Smith has an impressive acting resume - "All My Children," "Guiding Light," "Santa Barbara" and several made-for-TV movies.

But it’s her latest job that’s set the stage for her to be the featured guest at the 2006 Carolina Home and Garden Show.

Smith, 44, is director of children’s ministries at Lake Forest Community Church in Cornelius.

She bid the soap opera world goodbye in 2004 and moved to Huntersville last August with her husband Douglas and their 16-year-old son, Taylor.

It’s a far cry from portraying a soap opera character who was married and divorced multiple times, suffered a brain tumor that pushed her over the edge and had the same taste in men as her vixen mother.

Smith will be at the show at 2 p.m. March 11 to talk about her new career and share ways to inspire children as they grow in their faith.

"I would love to encourage kids/parents that none of us are perfect, (not even those really pretty people on the covers of magazines and in television shows) and that we could spend the rest of our lives just trying to ‘love our neighbor’ and not get it right," Smith said. "So, you start with what you have.

"Relationship. A little time. Read a book together. Laugh. Show your children what integrity is by keeping your promises as much as you can. Invest your best - your best laughter, smiles, advice, words, gestures. Parents really are a child’s first look at a loving heavenly father."

The Carolina Home and Garden Show is celebrating its 10th year. Hickory Mart Shows Executive Director Jamie Treadway said he wanted elements of faith and family weaved into this year’s event.

The Carolina Home and Garden Show runs from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. March 10, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 11 and noon to 6 p.m. March 12 at the Hickory Metro Convention Center.

http://marcywalkeronline.tripod.com/...ss001.htm#From Soaps to Serving God*

From Soaps to Serving God
Former `All My Children' star now a youth minister in Cornelius

KEN GARFIELD
Religion Editor

The new director of children's ministries at Lake Forest Community Church in Cornelius has recovered from the brain tumor that made her so paranoid she pushed someone out a window. She's through with the power-hungry older man she married and divorced three times. She was so mad during Marriage No. 3, she had an affair, got pregnant, got caught cheating and miscarried after a shoving match with her husband at his mansion.

She and her mother are over the fact they had an affair with the same guy at the same time. But wait! We left out the most incredible part of Marcy Smith's life story. All this made-up dirt went down on TV, when she was soap opera star Marcy Walker. Proving once again that life can take some crazy turns, she has walked away from the soaps, taken her married name (Smith) and embraced her most meaningful role yet: Sharing the joy of faith with children.

They might not let Liza Colby -- her "All My Children" character who endured all that misery and more -- near a church. Marcy Smith is welcome any time. On the A list.

To those for whom soap operas have been a constant, comforting companion, it doesn't get much bigger than Marcy Walker.She still gets recognized regularly as Colby of "All My Children," where she began as a confused kid in 1981 and grew up to become a vixen by the time she went off the show in 2004. "Santa Barbara" loyalists still love her as good-girl Eden Capwell Castillo from the 1980s, even though the soap was canceled. To "Guiding Light" fans, she'll always be Tangie Hill, the woman with the mysterious past.

Sweet one moment, a schemer the next -- Smith, 44, was so good at it all that she won a Daytime Emmy, not to mention Best Death Scene in some distant soap-opera honor, the details of which now escape her.

Among the stars with whom she worked: On "All My Children," soap icon Susan Lucci (Erica Kane, of course), and Regis Philbin's pal, Kelly Ripa. On "Santa Barbara," movie actress Robin Wright Penn (Sean's wife), who played her sister. Lynn Leahey, editorial director of Soap Opera Digest in New York, called Smith an A-list soap star, someone with the talent to infuse even the easy-to-loathe Liza Colby with humanity.

"You really could feel sorry for Liza and the horrible things she did," Leahey said.

Smith -- possessing a pastor's heart way back when -- tried to portray Colby as a character in need of what most everyone needs. "The heart of who she was," Smith said, "was someone who desperately wanted to be loved." But after years of filling fans' afternoons with lust and intrigue, and getting the fame and other perks that go with it, Smith began yearning for more.

`Straw that broke my back'

Smith said she grew up in a home where religion played no part. It was during her years filming in New York that she began moving in another direction. She became active at Hope Evangelical Free Church in Wilton, Conn., teaching children in Sunday school, helping with vacation Bible school, starting to see another side to her life. She said they'd sometimes shoot soap scenes out of order so she could participate in Bible study.

"God," she said, "opened a door."

What moved her to burst through the door was the death of several show-biz colleagues over the years -- "actors, directors, writers" -- from causes including AIDS and drugs. When a dear friend from "Santa Barbara" died a year ago from liver failure, that did it.

"The straw that broke my back," Smith called it.

She prayed for God to come into her life and take it. She prayed for a new direction. She left "All My Children" in 2004. Her character, Liza, snatched her daughter and ran away, never to be seen again except in flashbacks.

Having already risen to the job of director of children's ministry at her Connecticut church while continuing to act, she knew what she wanted to do full-time. Then she learned about an attractive job opening: A young, fast-growing congregation in north Mecklenburg with a heart for drawing people back to church was seeking someone to work with its children. She was hired from a field of 60 candidates.

Smith and her husband, Douglas, and their 16-year-son, Taylor, moved to Huntersville last August. The next act had begun.

The past is the past. With the occasional soap-opera flashback, TV movie reruns, an agent who still calls and an Internet that makes old photos available at the click of a mouse, Smith can't escape her past.

Many folks at church know what she used to do for a living. She gets recognized on the street. People will come up to her and say they met their spouse at college while watching one of her old soaps between class. She loves the way soaps have been a friend to so many people, though she does urge people to watch them with caution, especially with kids around. She still picks up a soaps magazine in the checkout line every now and then.

Sometimes a fan will bring up one of her failed pilots (she played a lawyer in "Bar Girls") or old TV movie. Her body of work includes a 1996 offering that fell short of an Oscar -- "Sudden Terror: The Hijacking of School Bus #17." She played Lt. Kathy Leone, a "SWAT Team Barbie," she called her, with a ponytail. But she recalls it all with a laugh, comfortable that the past is the past and now is now.

Today, she's fulfilling the role of a church leader willing to share her "bumps in the road," as she calls them, for the higher purpose of convincing people it's never too late for faith to blossom.
For life to change.

For Marcy Smith, it's no act.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

She was still on AMC when this article was written, a bit of foreshadowing, if you will (from the same website):

Marcy Walker's Serpentine Journey Through Life Has Brought Her...Peace & Joy

Joy is a word used frequently by Marcy Walker these days. Moreover, it's a state of being she strives to inhabit constantly and consistently. The flaxen-haired, husky-voiced daytime favorite who originated the role of All My Children's Liza Colby in the early 1980s and returned in 1995, eagerly discusses why she feels at peace, both personally and professionally. First and foremost is her relationship with God. "Without that, I'm nothing," she insists. "The source of my strength and peace and joy is God. What gives me joy? There's so much. Every day there's always something. And you have to seek it out. Joy comes in silence and stillness and peace. It comes to us in relieving ourselves of burdens. It comes in the act of someone else reaching out to us and saying, 'Let me take care of that for you.' There's great joy in forgiveness, and great joy in serving. Knowing that you've done something that day to brighten someone's day can give you great joy."

Another avenue of delight in Walker's life is her marriage this past December to ex-Marine Doug Smith, whom she met last year at a Bible study class at the church they attend near her Connecticut home. What prompted her to walk down the aisle for the fourth time? "In the past I was always the one in the center, the pivotal one in the relationship. I was very strong-willed. I realized ultimately that none of that meant anything. I had to put aside my will and ask God to be at the center of everything in my life. I have so much more peace now, and I've grown enormously. The life I have now is not the same one I had. I don't know quite how to explain that except that it's by the grace of God. Each day I'm so appreciative. It's been an emotional transformation."

"Doug was a Type-A personality," she adds. "Both of us have experience with lots of the same kind of issues. We have the strength to do whatever we want, individually and combined. But we have made a commitment that God is at the center of our lives, and that has made all the difference in the world."

Don't get the wrong impression, Walker has not turned into Mother Marcy Teresa, or some proselytizing religious radical who's convinced that hers is the only road to take. Actually, her sharp wit and hearty laugh - often at her own expense - are on display frequently, and you get the feeling she doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Thanks in part to her Christian faith, Walker has learned to roll with the punches. "I really believe it all starts individually," she says. "You start with your own heart, and then you reach out to the people around you with graciousness and kindness. You then can go out from there to your community, to your state, and to the country and the world. To make a difference is an inside job. You have to be willing to be judged the way you're willing to judge everyone else. It's actually very easy, day by day, to make the right choices. It's more difficult to make the wrong choices and have to live with the backlash."

"Maybe once I became a mom I became more aware of how I feel about things, because as a parent you have to be aware of where you stand," Walker surmises. Her son, Taylor, or Tay, turns 11 this year, and it's obvious how crazy this mother is about her boy. "A very valuable lesson I learned early on with my son is that I am wrong a lot, and that there's great value in apologizing. I have that kind of accountability to my son, and I've earned his respect because of it."

She also marvels at the changes and growth Taylor has undergone since Doug came into their lives. "Doug is incredible with my son. Because of the unconditional love showered on him, Taylor's self-esteem has been rising incredibly. Doug and I both knew that if Taylor wasn't in love with Doug, it wasn't going to work. It was Taylor who chose for it to happen. They are amazing together. Doug just took him on a Boy Scouts white-water rafting trip. I see that Taylor now has a balance in his life. It had to come from us and through us. I look at him and think he's going to be a good man someday. I stand back in amazement every day at the path he is on."

Walker's own path in life has been illuminated for a long time by the glare of daytime stardom. By the time she was 18 she was already gaining notoriety and fans as AMC's Liza, a child of privilege. "I was raised so differently," Walker points out. "Our family (including two younger brothers) camped out together. Liza would never think of camping; there's bugs." Thanks to her father's engineering career, the family lived an itinerant lifestyle, including a stint in Iran, which saw them escaping that country just before the collapse of the shah's reign more than 20 years ago. Moving so often, she says, helped develop her adaptability. "New experiences didn't scare me; strangers or odd circumstances didn't shake me. But I don't think it contributed to my being a better actor. Until I was on All My Children I didn't know what it meant to be an actor. I learned from watching David Canary, Susan Lucci and Julia Barr (Adam/Stuart, Erica and Brooke)."

Walker, of course, aided her own cause with her innate talent, looks, instincts and hard work. Two years after landing the part of Liza, she moved to the West Coast and took on the role of Santa Barbara's Eden Capwell - a role that earned her the 1989 Outstanding Lead Actress Emmy, along with legions of fans who cherished SB and her work on it. In 1989, she gave birth to Taylor (his father is Walker's third husband, Stephan Collins; he is not involved in Taylor's life). In 1993 she came back to New York to play Tangie Hill on Guiding Light, a two-year interlude that ultimately proved dissatisfying. "I was not in a position where I could wrap my arms around the show," she recalls. "I didn't really deserve to be there any longer. It just didn't work. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. I keep thinking about what I could have done to make it different, but it didn't click. It's not anybody's fault. There was frustration on my part, which wasn't fair on my part to talk about after I left. It was just as much my responsibility as anyone's else's."

Then, in 1995, the invitation to reprise her role at AMC came her way. "I really wanted to come back and I was very grateful that they asked me back. There didn't seem to be any other choice. It felt like a homecoming." Asked if she's completely content with her lot on the show, she responds, "Absolutely. I have no reason not to be. It's been very fulfilling and the job is very challenging. I feel loved and appreciated because they're always giving me great things to do, and I work with great people. I'm extremely happy. Any great gift I've been given is because of what people taught me."

Told that Michael E. Knight (Tad) once called her "the most intuitive actress I've ever worked with," Walker squeals with delight. "Ah, isn't he the sweetest guy? Boy, it's a constant quest. I hope I bring passion to what we do. I hope I can rise to the level of my partner in a scene, and that I can give everything I have in me unconditionally. We all have our days when we're on the money, and those when we're not. You really count on each other. A favorite quote of mine that I keep posted on the mirror in my dressing room reads: 'Life expands and contracts in proportion to one's courage.' I like to think I'm intuitive, and I certainly strive to be the best actress I can be."

She accepts that "after all these years I have a pretty good grasp of what I can do well and what I can't do well. I believe iron sharpens iron. Here, at this place, you're around people who are the best at what they do, and you can shine yourself up pretty good." As for career aspirations, she went through what she dubs her "twisting in the wind time, trying to find out if I should really reach higher, raise the bar, so to speak. I put myself in the running (a number of made-for-television movie roles; a short-lived prime-time series, Palace Guard) and didn't enjoy it. I felt I was fed by this genre. There's something about the repertory feeling, the family feeling of being in daytime. People's minds work faster here and they assimilate quicker. There's that working-without-a-net feeling you get when you work every day and want to achieve the scene in one take that makes me think, why would I want to be anywhere else?"

It's a truly serpentine path that's brought Walker to this joyous and fulfilled juncture in her journey. Centered and focused, her priorities in place and happy with the two main men in her life, she's come to embrace acceptance - and has found peace of heart in the process. As she says, "Relationships are not any one person's dominion; they really are a partnership. It's a wake-up call to realize that you've had relationships in which you were clueless. I look back on some that I've had and say, 'What did I do?' There's regret that I could have been so small, that I could have hurt someone's feelings. Yet, that's part of the learning experience, I suppose. Everyone has their own journey." SOW 5/30/00
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

I really admire Marcy for walking away from a successful Soap career because she believed God had something more important to do. And I do believe what she is doing is important. I have been involved in children's ministries at my church for over 20 years. I know how challenging it can be but I also know how rewarding it is and what an awesome privilege it is to be part of molding young lives! God bless Marcy for her commitment to obey God's leading in her life!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Biggrin

^ Amen!!! Here is a blog about her adventures leading VBS:

http://mikemoses.typepad.com/purple_...s-moments.html

May 29, 2008

Guestblog: Marcy Smith's 'top 10 VBS moments'
I invited our Children's Ministry Director, Marcy, to guest blog today:

Every year around Christmas I get my first "VBS" postcard. It's usually right after we have survived the latest "Christmas Pageant" or embarrassing gift exchange. (See future blogs about our staff 'white elephant' party-it's quite the competition. How IS that giant football crock pot, Rusty?) We have done so many zany and wild things so we could talk about God with kids. And honestly, I am blessed beyond measure to see how God works through the carpet tubes and mentos. He has used those things to build important friendships between kids. He has drawn parents of those kids into an authentic community where they can explore and sometimes re-discover intimacy with their Heavenly Father. So, to all of you VBS heroes out there-thank you for being a significant reason why we can give this to our community! I look forward to playing with you in a few weeks.

Below are a few of my favorite VBS moments. Enjoy! Oh, and here's a scoop for ya. Back by popular demand this year... Pastor Mitch White as a new character-"Professor Pepper". (get it?) He'll be amazing us each day with experiments designed to become part of next years "Best VBS Moments". I'm sure we can count on Mitch to be careful with the bowling balls and vats of bubble liquid. I am a little nervous about the dry ice. Stay tuned.

Best VBS moments:

1. Finishing the week and THEN finding out that at least three children don't speak English.

2. One particular 5th grader who, when told that he couldn't throw his craft (a bejeweled, over-'elmer'-ed construction paper hand with sharpie drawn name on it) ATE it. The whole thing.

3. The year I thought that hatching REAL butterflies out of their cocoons would be really cool for our "Bug Safari" theme. All 175 of them hatched the week BEFORE in my laundry room because of the heat of my dryer. It was like a bad Hitchcock movie.

4. Games outside. Unforseen fire-ant habitats. One child in 550 with a fire ant "allergy". One Games leader running wildly toward me "A child got bit by a fire ant" "What crew?" "33" Look at roster. Yep. What are the odds?!

5. Other church leaders who troll during your VBS week because they are doing the same theme....and can they have your stuff when you're done? HAPPY to do it. But being the first VBS out of the gate is a little like being pecked to death by wild birds.

6. Watching our beloved senior volunteers trying to do the "motions" to "Life is a Highway".

7. Parents who play VBS-lotto by seeing if the online registration of their 11 month old will go through without them having to volunteer.

8. Theme based "snacks" using colored twizzlers to represent the 'tongues of fire' at Pentacost.

9. Realizing that I had no more nose hair after learning how to "hot-knife" styrofoam for our "Avalanche Ranch" set. Realizing that if you use the hot-knife too much, you can actually see Smurfs.

10. Last but not least.......watching kids run toward me during the week-and kneeling down so they can whisper LOUDLY into my ear, "I asked Jesus into my heart".
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
^ Amen!!! Here is a blog about her adventures leading VBS:

http://mikemoses.typepad.com/purple_...s-moments.html

May 29, 2008

Guestblog: Marcy Smith's 'top 10 VBS moments'
I invited our Children's Ministry Director, Marcy, to guest blog today:

Every year around Christmas I get my first "VBS" postcard. It's usually right after we have survived the latest "Christmas Pageant" or embarrassing gift exchange. (See future blogs about our staff 'white elephant' party-it's quite the competition. How IS that giant football crock pot, Rusty?) We have done so many zany and wild things so we could talk about God with kids. And honestly, I am blessed beyond measure to see how God works through the carpet tubes and mentos. He has used those things to build important friendships between kids. He has drawn parents of those kids into an authentic community where they can explore and sometimes re-discover intimacy with their Heavenly Father. So, to all of you VBS heroes out there-thank you for being a significant reason why we can give this to our community! I look forward to playing with you in a few weeks.

Below are a few of my favorite VBS moments. Enjoy! Oh, and here's a scoop for ya. Back by popular demand this year... Pastor Mitch White as a new character-"Professor Pepper". (get it?) He'll be amazing us each day with experiments designed to become part of next years "Best VBS Moments". I'm sure we can count on Mitch to be careful with the bowling balls and vats of bubble liquid. I am a little nervous about the dry ice. Stay tuned.

Best VBS moments:

1. Finishing the week and THEN finding out that at least three children don't speak English.

2. One particular 5th grader who, when told that he couldn't throw his craft (a bejeweled, over-'elmer'-ed construction paper hand with sharpie drawn name on it) ATE it. The whole thing.

3. The year I thought that hatching REAL butterflies out of their cocoons would be really cool for our "Bug Safari" theme. All 175 of them hatched the week BEFORE in my laundry room because of the heat of my dryer. It was like a bad Hitchcock movie.

4. Games outside. Unforseen fire-ant habitats. One child in 550 with a fire ant "allergy". One Games leader running wildly toward me "A child got bit by a fire ant" "What crew?" "33" Look at roster. Yep. What are the odds?!

5. Other church leaders who troll during your VBS week because they are doing the same theme....and can they have your stuff when you're done? HAPPY to do it. But being the first VBS out of the gate is a little like being pecked to death by wild birds.

6. Watching our beloved senior volunteers trying to do the "motions" to "Life is a Highway".

7. Parents who play VBS-lotto by seeing if the online registration of their 11 month old will go through without them having to volunteer.

8. Theme based "snacks" using colored twizzlers to represent the 'tongues of fire' at Pentacost.

9. Realizing that I had no more nose hair after learning how to "hot-knife" styrofoam for our "Avalanche Ranch" set. Realizing that if you use the hot-knife too much, you can actually see Smurfs.

10. Last but not least.......watching kids run toward me during the week-and kneeling down so they can whisper LOUDLY into my ear, "I asked Jesus into my heart".
I had a blast reading through Marcy's list! It brought back so many memories from past VBS's at our church! I glad we're not the only one's who have had to deal with unique challenges!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I had a blast reading through Marcy's list! It brought back so many memories from past VBS's at our church! I glad we're not the only one's who have had to deal with unique challenges!!

She's on Facebook under Marcy Walker Smith. She added me, so it's worth a try!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
She's on Facebook under Marcy Walker Smith. She added me, so it's worth a try!!
Thanks for the info.!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

Marcy and her husband Doug recently moved to Edmond, OK. She just took on the duties of LifeKIDS Pastor at LifeChurch.tv.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

Quote:
Marcy and her husband Doug recently moved to Edmond, OK. She just took on the duties of LifeKIDS Pastor at LifeChurch.tv.
I pray that God will bless her as she begins this new ministry and she and her husband start their new lives in their new home.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Nodsmiley

Absolutely.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Hometown of Frasier and Niles Crane, KACL and Cafe Nervosa

That's awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

You're welcome!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I am glad that she's content and following the path that God has for her. I think that is great. I read that she had the conservative look on AMC during her later years because of spiritual reasons. I kind of noticed that too with her business suits that she would wear. I say do your thing!