Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Jacqueline Courtney 1946-2010

Link

Soap Opera Digest has reported that beloved soap star Jacqueline Courtney (born Sharon Courtney) has passed away of metastatic melanoma at age 64. Courtney was half of the iconic coupling of Alice and Steve (George Reinholt) on ANOTHER WORLD and played the role from 1964-1975, and again from 1984-1985. After ANOTHER WORLD, Courtney starred as the popular character of Pat Ashley on ONE LIFE TO LIVE from 1975-1983. She retired from acting in 1987 after making a brief appearance on LOVING but did appear on ANOTHER WORLD's 25th Anniversary Week of episodes in 1989. She also returned a month later for Mac's funeral, her final appearance.

Courtney appeared in 1994 in a special CBS tribute to daytime drama's first 50 years. Enjoy this clip of her work on ANOTHER WORLD and reunion with George Reinholt
Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

So sad to hear of her passing...

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

So, so sad!!! I've seen some of her work online. She was a beautiful and talented lady. God bless her!! All love and prayers to her loved ones.
Attached Images

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart EXCLUSIVE: George Reinholt Responds To Jacqueline Courtney's Passing

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/12/g...acqueline.html

Thursday, December 30, 2010 Posted by Damon L. Jacobs

George Reinholt played "Steve" on ANOTHER WORLD opposite Jacqueline Courtney's "Alice" from 1968-1975. Their pairing was extremely popular is considered by many historians to be one of daytime's first "supercouples." He played opposite Courtney again on ONE LIFE TO LIVE from 1975-1977. Earlier today he shared his feelings of Courtney's tragic passing with We Love Soaps TV:

"I am shocked and very upset and disturbed. I know death comes to us all but I think she died too young. Much too young. I loved her. Truly. She was wonderful to work with. And I think of her often."
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart Linda Dano Responds To Jacqueline Courtney's Passing

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/12/l...acqueline.html

Thursday, December 30, 2010 Posted by Damon L. Jacobs

Daytime veteran Linda Dano, who worked with Jacqueline Courtney on ONE LIFE TO LIVE from 1978-1980, and during Courtney's 1984-85 return to ANOTHER WORLD, shared these words with We Love Soaps TV in response to the beloved Courtney's passing.

"Jackie and I became great friends at ONE LIFE TO LIVE. She was an extraordinary talent in daytime, a good friend, and an extraordinary human being. We are all saddened by her untimely death."
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart AW & OLTL Soap legend, Jacqueline Courtney has passed away

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/...ay/2010/12/29/

Very sad news to report as we close out 2010 from Soap Opera Digest today. Soap opera superstar of the 60′s, 70′s, and 80′s, Jacqueline Courtney (pictured here in a scene from OLTL with Erika Slezak) who made Alice Frame a household word on NBC’s Another World has passed away. Apparently the reports say that Jacqueline passed away on December 20 of metastatic melanoma.

“Any letter that she wrote to people recently ended with, ‘Stay out of the sun. Wear sunscreen,’ ” her daughter, Jennifer, told Soap Opera Digest. “She was very healthy her whole life and then suddenly everything just started snowballing. She went really quickly. She had just turned 64, so she was still pretty young.”

Courtney was half of the supercouple of Alice and Steve Frame, opposite George Reinholt on Another World. Jackie played the role from 1964-1975, and again from 1984-1985. Big news happened for One Life to Live, when the show lured Courtney, after she was dismissed from AW over to Llanview, and Reinholt followed shortly thereafter to try to rekindle their magic on the ABC network. At OLTL, Courtney played Pat Ashley and later her evil twin, Maggie, and Reinholt played Tony Lord, Viki’s brother. Pat was also one time romantically involved with Bo Buchanan, who is still played today by Robert S. Woods. Courtney retired from acting in 1987.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jacqueline’s family and friends as she was one of the most widely recognized heroine’s in the daytime soap opera medium.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Unhappy

Jacqueline Courtney

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Soap Icon Dies

Jacqueline Courtney (ex-Pat, OLTL et al), best known to viewers as ANOTHER WORLD's über-popular Alice, passed away on December 20 of metastatic melanoma. "Any letter that she wrote to people recently ended with, 'Stay out of the sun. Wear sunscreen,' " her daughter, Jennifer, tells Digest. "She was very healthy her whole life and then suddenly everything just started snowballing. She went really quickly. She had just turned 64, so she was still pretty young." Jennifer reports that her beloved mother still kept up with the goings-on in daytime. "She still read Soap Opera Weekly. She loved her Soap Opera Weekly!"
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

Here is Ms. Courtney with OLTL co-star Robert S. Woods on a location shoot in Paris circa 1980. Also, here she is with her AW love interest, George Reinholt from the early/mid 70s.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

Here is another tribute to the late Ms. Courtney, from her former AW & OLTL co-star, Robin Strasser:

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/01/s...rcourtney.html

EXCLUSIVE: Robin Strasser Responds To Jacqueline Courtney's Passing
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 Posted by Damon L. Jacobs

Emmy winning legend Robin Strasser played opposite of Jacqueline Courtney on ANOTHER WORLD from 1966-1971, and again briefly in 1972. Their on-screen rivalry as Rachel and Alice set the soap world on fire and sent ANOTHER WORLD to the top of the ratings. In this exclusive statement, Strasser pays tribute to the beautiful Courtney, who passed away on December 20th.

"I met Jacquie Courtney when I was cast as Rachel on Another World.

"During the years the show was at it's all time height, and set industry-wide standards, it was due in large part to Jacquie Courtney's indelibly romantic incandescence.

"Lucky for me...because, as it turned out Rachel was all about shadow and darkness trying to steal Alice's light.

"Alice and Steve...and mean and jealous Rachel. That was a triangle with edges...and like the show during the time the great Agnes Nixon was Head Writer, it had an edgy, unpredictable quality to it.

"Jacquie's Alice had grace and beauty, delicacy and strength, that made her a joy to watch.

"She was still going to High School when we met, but she was already a seasoned professional, having worked as a child.

"She would do her own make-up. She had fabulous bone structure, those cheek bones, her perfect nose and full lips. And the bluest eyes...she could connect immediately with her emotions, and I'd envy that she could cry and still look pretty, pretty, pretty.

"She was the girl you wanted to be...if only. She was the sister/daughter you wished you had. She was the friend you wanted to have.

"I am grateful to your website for posting this significant tribute, which gives her fans, and former colleagues the chance to recognize and celebrate the life and contributions of this wonderful woman."

Here are pics of AW-era Ms. Courtney and Ms. Strasser, along with actors George Reinholt (Steve Frame), Sam Groom (Russ Matthews) and Cathy Greene (Sally Frame):
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
JT

Those are great pictures, catlover. The one with them all at the restaurant makes me wish that tapes from that era were available.

JC's passing is definitely one to be mourned by the whole soap community. She was a visible figure through daytime's glory years and represented it very well. The thing about Steve and Alice, and you can see this in that all-too-short 1973 clip of them on YouTube, is that Reinholt and Courtney had the sort of chemistry that honestly made you feel like you were intruding on people...it's almost uncomfortable how realistic they are in the conversation. That's damn good acting and damn good writing, and it's the type of thing that makes me furious that the suits thought so little of this incredible soap opera to just destroy episode after episode for year after year...thank god there's YouTube because we wouldn't even be able to see the little that was saved without it!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

Yes, thank goodness!! I've discovered many a Santa Barbara clip through YouTube and have totally enjoyed it. Too bad there isn't nearly as many clips available of Ms. Courtney, but I did find one of her and Mr. Reinholt on OLTL, at the 6:10 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTKVQZs4_k

Here's another all too brief clip of them from AW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whWqS...eature=related

Here they are reunited in 1994 at the 50 Years of Soaps special, which was supposedly Ms. Courtney's very last television appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIrnu...eature=related
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

Finally, a few more photos:
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
JT

That whole episode of OLTL is online (it aired as part of the A Daytime to Remember block on ABC back in the late 90s). When the news of JC's death broke, I had some time, so I went straight there to watch it again because you just can't beat 70s soap opera.

Just search "One Life to Live 1976" and it should come up. I say "whole," but it's edited a bit. It was originally 45 minutes, but the rerun slot it aired in was 30 minutes. But even with the cuts, it's worth it! You get to see the original Dorian (the actress and Jacquie were very close friends) and Viki with her original love interest, Joe.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

The most recent issue of Soap Opera Digest has a 5-page tribute to Ms. Courtney and also her iconic AW character, Alice Matthews. Sharing their memories of her are her AW/OLTL co-stars George Reinholt, Robin Strasser, and Linda Dano, plus fellow OLTL actors Robert S. Woods and Brynn Thayer.
Attached Images