Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hogan's Heroes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hogan's Heroes Photo Gallery

Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Sixth & Final Season on DVD
Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection

Buy Hogan's Heroes - The Komplete Series - Kommandant's Kollection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hogan's Heroes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Question Was It A Bad Idea To Make Nazis Likeable On 'Hogan's Heroes?'

Was it a bad idea to make the Nazis actually funny likeable characters? Do you think that has hurt its longevity in syndication and dvd sales?

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
tv star collector
I Love Susie

TV

Klink was certainly funny (usually unintentionally), but Schultz is the only one
that I would describe as likeable.

#1 Susan Silo Fan

The Susan Silo Fan Club now has a page on Facebook
... check it out!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
cocytus
Forum Regular

When the show was on the air, WWII was only a few years in the past and it was still a very "sore" point for many people. Given that fact, unless the show was mostly a comedy and didn't touch on the Holocaust at all...it wouldn't have even been made.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

They didn't make the Nazi's likeable so much as they made them idiots. That allowed us as viewers to feel oh so superior to them and able to laugh at them and at how Hogan and the other POW's outsmarted them week after week. And that was what made this series work. It clearly defined Hogan and company as the good guys and the Nazi's as the bad guys. It told us who to cheer for and who to jeer. I think it was a very smart choice by the producers to depict the Nazi's that way.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
(...) but Schultz is the only one that I would describe as likeable.
And Schultz wasn't a Nazi...

The PC Brigade over at TV Guide now attack this Emmy winning sitcom.

Message Board
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
When the show was on the air, WWII was only a few years in the past and it was still a very "sore" point for many people. Given that fact, unless the show was mostly a comedy and didn't touch on the Holocaust at all...it wouldn't have even been made.
A FEW YEARS???

Try 20 years!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
A FEW YEARS???

Try 20 years!

Yes, it was 20 years. However, while that may seem a long time for you, there were cities in Europe that still had bombed out buildings from the war and there were people for whom the war seemed like only yesterday.

If they hadn't made the Nazi's somewhat "inept" and "comical" it's doubtful w/ WWII being such a recent event that this show would have succeeded.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Sitcom Collector
Frequent Poster

Mel Brooks said once that if you want to insult your enemy, slap him in the face. But if you want to vanquish him, turn him into a buffoon.
Certainly "The Producers" did that to the Nazis as did Hogan's Heroes. HH was a spoof on the various WW2 POW/commando movies and TV shows that were popular at the time.
What I find interesting is nobody (in the US anyway) fusses over the Britcom "Allo Allo", which went much farther than HH in humanizing the Germans. I have both shows on DVD and love them. Watch them side to side sometime. You will see the difference, and I don't mean the sex humor. Nazis on HH got KILLED. Allo Allo was far kinder to them.
Interestingly Allo Allo was also a spoof of a dramatic WW2 series "Secret Army".
BTW, the first to spoof the Nazi regime was the Three Stooges, pre-dating Charlie Chaplin's Great Dictator by six months.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
Bonsai
Forum Regular
Gilligan Ambassador

Exactly right-----the use of farce to make the Nazis buffoons was the key element. Remember that the real-life Germans in the cast were Jewish and had to flee the Third Reich.

Robert Clary was in a concentration camp---something he now does speaking engagements about to raise awareness. (Check out his multi-part video "Robert Clary and the Holocaust" on Youtube)

The fact that they felt comfortable doing the show speaks volumes.

Besides, it could be easily argued that Klink and Schultz were not ideological nazis at all. Klink was just a spineless idiotic career officer and brown-noser------and Schultz was about as apolitical as one could get. The actual dedicated nazi characters were neither likeable nor sympathetic.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

When I watched this as a young kid, I had no concept of WWII or the Nazis. So I just watched and enjoyed it. However, as an adult, it is kind of tasteless to do a sitcom about POWs at a Nazi concentration camp.

But on the other hand, they did make the Nazis into cartoonish buffoons.

It is what it is. I'm still on the fence about the tastelessness factor, though.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Bonsai
Forum Regular
Gilligan Ambassador

Just to clarify------Hogan's Heroes was NOT set in a concentration camp. It was set in a P.O.W. camp.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
TV Knowledge Fan

Default "HOGAN'S HEROES"...

...was basically a satire of "Stalag 17" (which the original authors later sued Bing Crosby Productions and CBS for being too close to the original play and movie; a settlement was eventually reached out of court). In that sense, the only "bad Nazis" were the military officers and Gestapo agents unfortunate enough to be pitted against Col. Hogan- they were either captured by Allied forces, or dispatched off-screen by explosions and the like. Obviously, Col. Klink and Sgt. Schultz were "nice people" who were "caught up" in World War II, and forced into military service....

Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

in, I think 1973,Paramount-the studio that made "STALAG 17-brought suit against CBS and Bing Crosby productions, because in-I think-1961 Paramount offered them a scrift for a pilot based on "STALAG 17" but CBS refused it; then in 1965 they came out with "HOGANS HEROES".

Like "TV knowledge fan" said; the suit was settled out of court though.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I just realized, some people here may not know what "STALAG 17" was. It was a comedy/drama about a group of american officers in a German prison camp during world war 2. It's a good movie!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Sitcom Collector
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I just realized, some people here may not know what "STALAG 17" was. It was a comedy/drama about a group of american officers in a German prison camp during world war 2. It's a good movie!

Stalag 17 was a straight drama with a few funny scenes. Bill Holden, who won an Oscar for that role is unforgettable. It was far more realistic and rougher than HH. The final scene in which they throw the German spy (Peter Graves) out into the compound, with cans attatched to him, to get gunned down by his own fellow Germans is powerful.
In HH all the Germans were killed offscreen.