Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

UP TV Acquires Growing Pains for January 2015; USA Network Orders Hacker Drama Starring Christian Slater
Week 13 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Charlie Sheen to Appear in The Goldbergs, and Possibly Two and a Half Men?; Becker Finished on DVD
ION Television Expands Hours in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 22, 2014)
FXX to Launch New Late Night Animation Block; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Star to Host Fox Show
Bounce Acquires Sitcoms for January 2015, Roc, Different World, Parent 'Hood, Hughleys; ABC Family Picks Up New Drama Recovery Road
Nick at Nite Adds Everybody Loves Raymond January 1; George Lopez Hosts CW Dog Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Default How many "Producers" does a show need...?

This can be directed at dramas as well, but how many "producers" does a show need...?

It seemed like some of the old shows might have had one or two producers (sometimes including an "executive producer") and that was it.

Now, it seems that every show has 10 "executive producers" as well as about the same amount of "producers." There are also "co-producers" as well.

I mean, is "producer" just a title they hand out to writers to appease them so they can get an onscreen credit in each episodes. Also, in many shows, the stars of the shows are often credited with a "producer" title as well.

Does anyone here know why the rash of "producers" on these shows...?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Bump.

Anyone got anything on this one?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well let's see...

We'll begin with the Executive Producers. The Executive may not really do anything in regards to the run of the show but will act as overseer of his/her investment. Most of the time, they put up the money for the show. Then you have some executives that may also contribute somebody or something extremely significant in exchange for the executive credit. Then you have the executive producer that actually WORKS ON SET. LOL. They will oversee and sometimes act as director of a scene that is being filmed and make sure everything is dandy.

Producers are multiple because of different segments. Sometimes a lot of footage is used and you may need a co-producer to share the work with at times.

Associate Producers are the umbrellas of the producers where they get the elements used for the producers to create a quality piece of work.

Junior Associate Producers work underneath Associate Producers and basically take on tasks of the things the AP can't do at a particular time and help to create a segment.

I know Brian Austin Green from 90210 got a producer credit in his last few seasons of the show so he must have had a minor contribution to the show. Melrose's Heather Locklear got a producer's credit as well. I wonder what contributions these guys made to receive the credit? I recently worked on a pilot for a reailty show. I found a bee farm for the crew to film at and was given a "Segment Producer" credit by the end of the day. LOL. So, Dr. Thong. The credit can be passed around but there are only a select few that actually do the work. I feel where you're coming from.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Thanks. Your answer shed some light on my question. Like I said before, old shows might have one or two producers total, sometimes including an executive producer.

It seemed that older shows had a lot less people with the "producer" title.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well now adays, many want to have the title of the producer. When I worked on the Michael Vick Project for BET, Michael Vick got a credit, his fiancee got a credit, his agent got a credit, the owner of the production company got a credit and then there is the co exec who was the one that ran the show and directed. You have many executives with titles. LOL.