Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
TeeVeeCloset

Default Happy Days "Again" opening airs on The Hub

For those who don't know, there was a time if a series was still in production it couldn't be syndicated with the same title...this practice went on for nearly 20 years....Happy Days was retitled "Happy Days Again" and the other night through the odd and wonderful world of syndication, The Hub aried an episode with that opening title, it has been nice to see The Hub air the series with the music and "Rock Around The Clock" still continuing into season 2 when they practically played the entire song...the opening lasts over 2 minutes compared to these days when series barely have openings.....luckily I was taping the opening, it is a novelty....but I also have a Christmas episode back from 1983 from WTAF-TV Channel 29 with the "Again" opening......BTW....Laverne & Shirley at a time was known as "Laverne & Shirley & Company"
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I'm sure this has to do with the set of prints The Hub obtained--obviously this is an older set where a few episodes still have the syndicated title.

I remember seeing just once the opening to TAGS as "Andy of Mayberry".
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Funny, because in the fall of 1979, when Happy Days debuted in syndication, M*A*S*H and All In The Family did as well...and they retained their original titles.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Funny, because in the fall of 1979, when Happy Days debuted in syndication, M*A*S*H and All In The Family did as well...and they retained their original titles.
that's right, I was just thinking that. I wonder if some shows were an exeption, because now that I think of it; reruns of "THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW" debuted in sydnication and kept the same title' while original episodes were still neing shown on CBS. Also, "THAT GIRL, "BEWITCHED", "THE ODD COUPLE", "LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE" and others. Now that I think about it, a few series did, "ALICE" and "THE JEFFERSONS" are two more.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."

Last edited by treky : 01-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
thebigcookie

Could you please post that opening on YouTube? I really want to see some openings of Happy Days from the Hub, as I don't even have cable and haven't gotten a chance to watch it on the Hub yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I just set my reminder because I have forgottten Happy Days comes on at 10pm. I guess when you get used to a show not being on air you tend to forget it's actually on cable again
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Moondance
MCR

I love The Hub!!! I've missed watching "Happy Days"!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

I have a couple episodes on VHS with the "Again" title from the FOX-11 channel in Los Angeles when it was airing it in the late 90s. I specifically remember "Home Movies Part 2" having this title, so we'll see if it's on the Hub airing of this episode. (That ep. is from '81, they are currently in eps from '78 and airing two eps a night.)

I have NEVER got to see the "Laverne & Shirley & Company" title. I have an old TV guide from Nov. '81, and sure enough the syndicated reruns of the shows are listed as "Happy days Again" and "Laverne & Shirley & Company," while the new eps. had the regular titles.

Also of note, is that the Hub airings of HD have the original Paramount blue mountain, while the L&S episodes have the plastered '90s Paramount mountain. I am also glad that they retain the original opening themes (and period music in the episodes), I won't buy any of the DVDs of either series beyond season 1 because they got rid of both. (Oddly, I did notice at least two episodes of HD that plastered the season 3 "Happy Days" theme over the season 2 "Rock around the clock" theme, this was strange because all the other episodes I've seen didn't do this. It was definately strange, and I would have been mad if I'd bought the season 2 DVD and found this!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

As for the season 2 DVD and the theme music switch, apparently, Paramount wasn't willing this time out to pay for the original "Rock Around The Clock" music, so the season 3 music was substituted.

I would have preferred the original music, but it's not the end of the world, either.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

yep, the "Home Movies Part 2" episode had the "Happy Days Again" opening on the hub.

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

Default Happy days again sing

52274.2108143.1173033923&theater
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac81s
yep, the "Home Movies Part 2" episode had the "Happy Days Again" opening on the hub.

Yes it did.

I wonder if they will do that again Monday...
Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
CaliforniaKid
Frequent Poster

thats cool i seen one other episode in December I think it was when they did the same thing
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #14
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

when they get to season 10, I remember there are a couple eps that still had the "again" in the opening. we should probably see those on the hub too.