Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 25, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Without Roseanne is Official; Is a Revival of The Nanny in the Works?
Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123
Default Barbara Billingsley - RIP

I just received a message on Facebook from Stu Shostak at Shokus Radio saying that Barbara Billingsley passed away around 2am last night. I looked on line and did not see anything about this yet, but below is the message he sent from the Skokus Radio Page on Facebook:

Quote:
Just received word that America's favorite TV mom, Barbara Billingsley (June Cleaver on "Leave it to Beaver") passed away peacefully last night around 2 a.m.

I had the pleasure of working with Barbara on an episode of "Silver Spoons" back in 1984, right before she and the rest of the Beaver cast were to start work on the new "Still the Beaver" series. She was a warm, delightful lady and will be sorely missed. Unfortunately her health over the past few years made it impossible for her to appear on any of our radio broadcasts with Tony Dow, Ken Osmond, Frank Bank, and Jerry Mathers, but we discussed her in each and every program...and we also have the wonderful Shout! Factory DVD box set of the series that I had the good fortune to work on this past year. It contains one of the last interviews Barbara did regarding the classic program.

I'm told the funeral will be this coming Wednesday. Barbara leaves behind her two sons and millions and millions of fans everywhere.

Stu .
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

They did have her death listed on wikipedia a few minutes ago but now it's gone. I noticed a lot of the twitter pages on google saying she died. I'm sure it'll be up soon if it's true.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
They did have her death listed on wikipedia a few minutes ago but now it's gone. I noticed a lot of the twitter pages on google saying she died. I'm sure it'll be up soon if it's true.
I checked Wikipedia also and saw nothing.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
I checked Wikipedia also and saw nothing.
I don't know how reliable Twitter is but it does have a headline over there but that's it.

http://twitter.com/BreakingNews
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Another source:

Link

The actress who some believe to have personified the quintessential TV mom has died. Barbara Billingsley, star of Leave It to Beaver, passed away early this morning at the age of 94. The exact cause of death is not known but she had been in poor health for some time.

Born in Los Angeles to Robert Collyer Combes, a police chief, and Lillian A. Combes, she was the youngest of three children. Billingsley’s parents divorced while she was still a child and she fell in love with drama in school.

After spending a year at a Los Angeles junior college, Billingsley went to Broadway as part of the Straw Hat revue. It quickly closed but she stayed in New York and worked as a fashion model. In 1945, she landed a contract with MGM and appeared in a number of small roles in movies until the mid-1950s. Those led her to be cast in several TV programs of the day.

In 1957, Billingsley was signed to play June Cleaver, the mother on the Leave It to Beaver sitcom, and received top billing over Tony Dow, Hugh Beaumont, and Jerry Mathers. The show initially aired on CBS but, after one season, moved to ABC and ran for five more years. The series ended on its own terms and was one of the few of that era to have a series finale. In the last episode, June is cleaning and comes across a photo album. The Cleaver clan ends up recounting experiences they’ve had together via clips from earlier episodes.

Barbara BillinglseyAfter that, Billingsley was typecast as the perfect mother and found it difficult to land other roles for several years. She guest-starred on a number of shows over the years, sometimes in her Leave It to Beaver persona. Billingsley also voiced the “Nanny” caretaker of the Muppet Babies characters on that animated series for 107 episodes. Billingsley found new notariety by playing the “jive lady” in the first Airplane! movie.

In 1983, she joined most of the original Beaver cast for the Still the Beaver reunion movie on CBS. That led to a whole new Beaver sitcom called The New Leave It to Beaver. That lasted for 104 episodes and Billingsley’s character was now an active widowed grandmother who became a member of the Mayfield City Council.

One of Billingsely’s last on-screen roles was in a cameo as Aunt Martha in 1997′s Leave It to Beaver feature film. Other original TV castmembers, Ken Osmond and Frank Bank, had small roles as well.

Billingsley was married three times and her last husband died in 1981. She is survived by two sons, several grandchildren, and generations of grateful TV viewers.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Unhappy

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/le...ey-died-18768/

The actress who some believe to have personified the quintessential TV mom has died. Barbara Billingsley, star of Leave It to Beaver, passed away early this morning at the age of 94. The exact cause of death is not known but she had been in poor health for some time.

Born in Los Angeles to Robert Collyer Combes, a police chief, and Lillian A. Combes, she was the youngest of three children. Billingsley’s parents divorced while she was still a child and she fell in love with drama in school.

After spending a year at a Los Angeles junior college, Billingsley went to Broadway as part of the Straw Hat revue. It quickly closed but she stayed in New York and worked as a fashion model. In 1945, she landed a contract with MGM and appeared in a number of small roles in movies until the mid-1950s. Those led her to be cast in several TV programs of the day.

In 1957, Billingsley was signed to play June Cleaver, the mother on the Leave It to Beaver sitcom, and received top billing over Tony Dow, Hugh Beaumont, and Jerry Mathers. The show initially aired on CBS but, after one season, moved to ABC and ran for five more years. The series ended on its own terms and was one of the few of that era to have a series finale. In the last episode, June is cleaning and comes across a photo album. The Cleaver clan ends up recounting experiences they’ve had together via clips from earlier episodes.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Here's another one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=11898270

Barbara Billingsley, Beaver Cleaver's TV Mom, Dies
Barbara Billingsley, best known as the 'perfect mom' on TV's 'Leave it to Beaver,' dies at 94
The Associated Press

By BOB THOMAS Associated Press Writer
SANTA MONICA, Calif. October 16, 2010 (AP)

Barbara Billingsley, who gained the title supermom for her gentle portrayal of June Cleaver, the warm, supportive mother of a pair of precocious boys in "Leave it to Beaver," has died. She was 94.

Spokeswoman Judy Twersky says Billingsley died early Saturday at her home in Santa Monica. She had suffered from a rheumatoid disease.

She acted in a number of roles in movies from the mid-1940s to the mid-1950s, but it wasn't until "Leave it to Beaver" that she became a star.

When the show debuted in 1957, Jerry Mathers, who played Beaver, was 9, and Tony Dow, who portrayed Wally, was 12. Billingsley's character, the perfect stay-at-home 1950s mom, was always there to gently but firmly nurture both through the ups and downs of childhood.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

So very sad. She was the perfect tv Mom. I started watching LITB reruns in the 1970's and it became one of my favorite shows at the time.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
McGillicuddy

They just reported her passing on NBC News. RIP Mrs. Cleaver.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Unhappy

Loved her as Mrs. Cleaver, Nanny in the Muppet Babies, and of course the Jive Lady in Airplane. God bless you, Barbara Billingsley - you will be deeply missed!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/16/barbar...-it-to-beaver/

The Beaver 'Saddened' by Death of Barbara Billingsley

10/16/2010 3:15 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Jerry Mathers, who played The Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver" just gave this statement to TMZ on the passing of Barbara Billingsley:

1016_jerry_mathers_barbara_billingsley_getty_ex
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend and lifetime mentor Barbara Billingsley. She will live in the hearts of her fans as a wonderful actress and be remembered by her friends as a gracious lady. Barbara was a patient advisor and teacher. She helped me along this challenging journey through life by showing me the importance of manners, and respect for others. She will be deeply missed by all of her family, friends, fans and most especially by me."

As for Jerry, he also tells TMZ he's "excited to be getting married in January at the Waterfront Hilton in Huntington Beach."
Old 10-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Rezny@gmail.com

And the last scene in 1983's CBS/Universal TV movie "Still the Beaver",where June (Billingsley)says she is going to sell the house(the house used in the 1959-1963 years of the series)to Beaver,(Mathers)and his kids,and the two of them embracing each other happily tells it all.RIP ,Miss B.
Rezny@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

To paraphrase Eddie Haskell:

"Gosh, Mrs. Cleaver...you were certainly a great mom and friend in all of those episodes".

R.I.P.
Cincy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
VirginiaCreeper
Occasional Poster

This is the only celebrity death in recent times that made me want to cry.
VirginiaCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
ABlairican Pie
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Unhappy

June Cleaver was always the mom we never had. She was the coolest.