Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All in the Family (Sitcoms Online) / All in the Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / All in the Family Photo Gallery

All in the Family - The Complete First Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Series

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > All in the Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season DVD Review

Archie, Edith, Gloria, and Meathead--err Mike--are back once again for the seventh season of All in the Family! Norman Learís classic sitcom that wasnít afraid to tackle the most controversial of issues returns to DVD, this time from Shout! Factory (the previous releases were all from Sony) in a three disc set containing all 25 episodes of the 1976-1977 season of the series. The series ran for nine years on CBS and was essentially a spin-off machine, spawning other series that were just as popular (if not more so), including The Jeffersons, Maude, and Good Times.

By now, Archie and Edith have taken on a boarder with Teresa, as Mike and Gloria have moved in to the Jeffersons old house next door with little Joey with them. The seventh season begins with a revelation that could break up Archie and Edithís long-running marriage and Archie facing the prospect of being unemployed. Will they keep it all in the family and grow together? Find out in The Complete Seventh Season of All in the Family!

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/allinth...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

Sounds good I gotta get this one. I have all the others that have been released.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Robert 13

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. I hope there is a short wait for Season 8 which has some of the best episodes including "Edith's 50th Birthday", "Edith's Crisis Of Faith", "Cousin Liz" and "Archie and the KKK".

- Dolcenera
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Kasey
Forum Regular

Yes Robert, those are the exact episodes I am waiting for, too. I don't think I will bother will Season 9. I didn't care much for the turn the series took with the addition of Stephanie, and the focus on Kelsey's Bar.

For me AITF really ended when Mike and Gloria moved to California. I sort of consider Season 9 more an "Archie Bunker's Place" show.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Robert 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
Yes Robert, those are the exact episodes I am waiting for, too. I don't think I will bother will Season 9. I didn't care much for the turn the series took with the addition of Stephanie, and the focus on Kelsey's Bar.

For me AITF really ended when Mike and Gloria moved to California. I sort of consider Season 9 more an "Archie Bunker's Place" show.
That's funny. I've heard people say that about Season 9. I, actually, love Season 9, believe it or not. One of my all-time favorite episodes is the Christmas episode "Bogus Bills" (absolutely hysterical). Also love "Edith Versus the Bank" and "Barney, the Gold Digger" (with the wonderful Peggy Rea).
Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
thebigcookie

Before Shout releases Season 8 of All in the Family, they need to acquire The Jeffersons and release Season 7 of The Jeffersons.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
HelloLarry
Forum Regular
Meathead

Season 9 has some good eps like you mention "Oh my Dog"...classic line in Bogus Bills and again it continued the trend of the show becoming more of a sitcom with dramatic elements. I think that has to do more with the change in culture and the behind the scenes changes. You're so comfortable with these characters. The show still holds my interest even until the bitter end of season (13) in Archie Bunkers Place. I kind of consider season 9 of AITF to be one long pilot episode for Archie Bunkers Place. If they keep releasing them, I'll keep buying them.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
ikhuri
Forum Regular

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but there seems to be a scene missing, which takes place in the opening of "Archie's Brief Encounter Part 1". I remember seeing it when TV Land first aired the show in 1999. To the best of my memory, it goes like this. Archie's friends Whitey and Joe are sitting in the coffee shop, while Archie is in the restroom and they discuss Archie dragging them to the coffee shop several times to see the waitress Denise. She then approaches their table and referring to Archie, asks "Where's my Superburger with everything, and I mean EVERYTHING". Anyone care to elaborate on that?

Imad
Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
HelloLarry
Forum Regular
Meathead

While my bubble is intact you are correct!

I just popped my copy in that I burned off of tv and the scene goes like this. Can you tell us where the cut is at.

Right after credits in the diner:

Foley: Hey how do you like this Bunker eh? You know Whitey it's the third time this week he's dragged us over here to have lunch. He acts like he's got an interest in this joint.

Whitey: He has Foley man hey and here his interest comes now baby.

Denise: OK you're the BLT, Whitey you are the ham and cheese on onion roll. Where's Archie my super burger with everything and I do mean everything.

Whitey: Oh he's in the mens room making himself gorgeous just for you.

Foley: Hey Denise, what's Archie got that we ain't got eh?

Denise: What's Archie got that you ain't got eh? My Daddy's big blue eyes. (HEY NOW!*)

Cut to Archie in the bathroom...

Now when this episode aired on the network it was originally an hour, why it is split up in two parts is unknown on the DVD unless both of these are the syndicated episodes.

Similarly on season 1 of Archie Bunkers Place, the first episode originally aired as an hour and it too is split up in two parts on the DVD. The first part of that episode has little snippets of dialog missing here and there (I did have them in my off-air recording of that episode off of a local station so I do have it complete). I wonder if it will be a similar situation here with this episode.

This is a shame. I'll just hang on to my off air copy of this one so I have the scene (and any others yet to be determined that are missing). When Columbia House released the episodes they had the full hour lenght eps of Archie Gets the Business and California Here We Are from seasons 8 and 9. Hopefully they will be included in their original configurations if and when Shout! releases them.

I would not blame Shout! for this, they are only receiving what has been provided to them by Sony and unless you are really familiar with these episodes as hardcore fans like myself are, you probably wouldn't know these little bits were missing.

Overall however the series has been complete so while annoying, this won't keep me up at night. There is an episode in season 2 or 3, Archie and the Mob that has a little section cut out on the DVD yet was complete when it was part of the Columbia House tapes. I don't know why so many versions of things are out there.

*editorial comment, line not delivered in episode.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
ikhuri
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLarry
While my bubble is intact you are correct!

I just popped my copy in that I burned off of tv and the scene goes like this. Can you tell us where the cut is at.

Right after credits in the diner:

Foley: Hey how do you like this Bunker eh? You know Whitey it's the third time this week he's dragged us over here to have lunch. He acts like he's got an interest in this joint.

Whitey: He has Foley man hey and here his interest comes now baby.

Denise: OK you're the BLT, Whitey you are the ham and cheese on onion roll. Where's Archie my super burger with everything and I do mean everything.

Whitey: Oh he's in the mens room making himself gorgeous just for you.

Foley: Hey Denise, what's Archie got that we ain't got eh?

Denise: What's Archie got that you ain't got eh? My Daddy's big blue eyes. (HEY NOW!*)

Cut to Archie in the bathroom...

Now when this episode aired on the network it was originally an hour, why it is split up in two parts is unknown on the DVD unless both of these are the syndicated episodes.

Similarly on season 1 of Archie Bunkers Place, the first episode originally aired as an hour and it too is split up in two parts on the DVD. The first part of that episode has little snippets of dialog missing here and there (I did have them in my off-air recording of that episode off of a local station so I do have it complete). I wonder if it will be a similar situation here with this episode.

This is a shame. I'll just hang on to my off air copy of this one so I have the scene (and any others yet to be determined that are missing). When Columbia House released the episodes they had the full hour lenght eps of Archie Gets the Business and California Here We Are from seasons 8 and 9. Hopefully they will be included in their original configurations if and when Shout! releases them.

I would not blame Shout! for this, they are only receiving what has been provided to them by Sony and unless you are really familiar with these episodes as hardcore fans like myself are, you probably wouldn't know these little bits were missing.

Overall however the series has been complete so while annoying, this won't keep me up at night. There is an episode in season 2 or 3, Archie and the Mob that has a little section cut out on the DVD yet was complete when it was part of the Columbia House tapes. I don't know why so many versions of things are out there.

*editorial comment, line not delivered in episode.

The DVD version cuts to Archie in the restroom, singing "You're too Marvelous".

Imad
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
HelloLarry
Forum Regular
Meathead

So what is the last part of the dialog at the table between Whitey and Foley before the cut to Archie in the bathroom?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Robert 13

If this is true, then this really stinks. I'm not blaming Shout but it is definitely disappointing to see this happen. This series hasn't caught a decent break on dvd since Season 1. Definitely not one of the better tv-on-dvd productions I've seen.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
retroTVfan4ever

How about the episode Mike, The Pacifist? This episode runs under 24 minutes on the DVD. Anything cut from this one?

DVD edits aside, the seventh season will be the last one for me. I lost interest in the show from the eighth season forward, the final straw was the two parter where Edith is locked in the house with a rapist on her 50th birthday. Very depressing, I didn't like that at all. While there are a few good episodes in seasons 8 and 9, the last "classic" season of AITF is season 7.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
HelloLarry
Forum Regular
Meathead

I haven't received my copy yet so I couldn't comment on that. I wonder though. In syndication they episodes run about 22 minutes and change right? By 1977 wasn't network tv trimming back the amount of actual content time to make way for more advertising? Mike the Pacifist is a few seconds shy of 24 minutes which is the low end of running time for that set. (pt. 1) of Archie's Brief Encounter runs 25:01 according to the review and a cut line has already been identified. Who knows?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
retroTVfan4ever

There may be little edits scattered thruout the episodes, someone who knows the series very well would know for sure. I have seasons 1-7, as far as I can tell the majority of episodes seem to be complete. I agree that All In The Family hasn't received the best treatment on DVD, edits aside, compressing 8 or 9 episodes per disc isn't a good thing. HelloLarry, please post here if you discover edits in any more episodes.