Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Silver Spoons Online / Silver Spoons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Silver Spoons Photo Gallery

Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season

Buy Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Silver Spoons
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ION Television Fall 2014 Schedule with Rookie Blue, Blue Bloods; The Totally Awesome Goldbergs Marathon
TV Marathons on Labor Day 2014; SitcomsOnline Book Club - Danielle Fishel's Normally, This Would Be Cause for Concern
Summer 2014 Week 14 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Could Full House or The Greatest American Hero Be Revived as New Series?; Spenser: For Hire Now on DVD
FamilyNet Fall 2014 Schedule with Sony TV Classics; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 1, 2014)
Antenna TV Acquires 11 Classics for 2015, Includes One Day at a Time, Small Wonder; Amazon Prime Gets Jeffrey Tambor/Judith Light Comedy
ABC Family Fall 2014 Schedule; Long Island Blood & Babes Comic Con Sept. 12-14 in New York

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/16 - About a Boy - Season 1
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (Mill Creek)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Nodsmiley Jason Bateman Became the Shining Star of 'Silver Spoons'

Now, being as fair as possible, Jason Bateman was a better actor than Ricky Schroder. Heck, Jason Bateman was an extremely strong young actor, period. He was what you would call a “scene stealer.”

So when Bateman was written off the show after two seasons, the rumor began that it was because Schroder hated being upstaged by Bateman. In fact, one rumor was that Schroder’s mother specifically requested Bateman’s removal.

Now, honestly, I couldn’t tell you for sure that Schroder WASN’T irritated by Bateman’s presence. The character of Derek HAD gotten quite popular, and Derek definitely WAS the sort of character who stood out, which presumably WOULD irritate the supposed lead teen actor on the show.

However, I think there are two notable points that would tend towards this theory not being correct - one a bit anecdotal, the other a bit more substantive.

The first, more anecdotal, evidence is the fact that Ricky Schroder was clearly more popular than Jason Bateman during the show’s first two seasons. Besides both appearing in NBC “One to Grow On” public service announcements, Bateman did basically ZERO public appearances during his first two seasons on the show. Schroder, on the other hand, in that same time appeared on Star Search, Dean Martin’s Celebrity Roast, Family Feud, Circus of the Stars, he NBC All Star Hour and the Battle of the Network Stars. Not to mention magazine covers and merchandise.

So that’s the anecdotal evidence - Schroder really wasn’t in any danger of being eclipsed by Bateman in the popularity department during their two seasons together.

Now as to the more substantial bit - the producers of Silver Spoons GAVE BATEMAN HIS OWN SHOW!!!

It’s Your Move debuted in the fall of 1984 and ran for a season and starred Bateman as a young con artist living with a sister and a single mother who seemed to meet his match when a journalist (played by David Garrison, who would go on to co-star in another show by the same producers, Married…With Children) moved in across the hall and began dating his mother (and who seemed to be on to all of Bateman’s character’s schemes).

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertain...ds-revealed-9/

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

I think Ricky was just pissed because Jason wouldn't hook him up with his sister Justine! I know that would piss me off!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I think Ricky was just pissed because Jason wouldn't hook him up with his sister Justine! I know that would piss me off!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
old grouch

They both did pretty good for themselves and both have made the transition to adult roles, Schroder with 'NYPD Blue' and Bateman with 'Arrested Development'. What is their relationship like now as adults?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

Jason Bateman wasn't even on every episode so I don't think Rick was feeling irritated by him. There was no doubt that Rick was the star. Jason though was extremely talented and his scenes on SS were great. I always enjoyed watching him. When NBC cast him in It's Your Move, I followed. It was a good show. I don't know why it never caught on.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grouch
They both did pretty good for themselves and both have made the transition to adult roles, Schroder with 'NYPD Blue' and Bateman with 'Arrested Development'. What is their relationship like now as adults?
I don't know, but it sure would be interesting to find out!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
adultescent
Forum Regular

Ricky Schroder was always the star of the show for me... Any other cast member could have come and gone, and it wouldn't have bothered me, as long as Ricky was still there... I'm about a year younger than Ricky (he'll never be 'Rick' to me, sorry lol), so pretty much the same age, and was a massive fan of his when the show originally aired (I'm still a fan, of course), and I'm sure a lot of the show's audience was just like me, and mainly watched it to see Ricky... Jason Bateman really was memorable (and very funny) as Derek on the show, but if Ricky Schroder left the show, I probably would have too (I obviously kept watching when Jason left)...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
glickmam
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
Jason Bateman wasn't even on every episode so I don't think Rick was feeling irritated by him. There was no doubt that Rick was the star. Jason though was extremely talented and his scenes on SS were great. I always enjoyed watching him. When NBC cast him in It's Your Move, I followed. It was a good show. I don't know why it never caught on.

The show had received criticism that Bateman's character was too much of a negative role model, and as a result, his schemes were almost completely removed from the show, and the show became just your average sitcom. Apparently the retooling made it too similar to other sitcoms airing at the time.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
crakker_jakk
Frequent Poster
~~~~~~~~~~~

You all must be kidding!!?!? Jason Bateman OWNED the show whenever he was onscreen. I guess I'm the only one who was in love with Jason, but I honestly couldn't have cared less about Ricky Schroder when the show was on the air (I was also in love with Eddie Haskell watching 'Leave it to Beaver' reruns, so I'll admit I was a twisted kid). I found Ricky mildly amusing at times, but I basically just spent the first 2 seasons white-knuckling it between Bateman's appearances (and quickly lost interest after he left). I remember sticking around for a while during season 3, but after it became obvious that not only Jason Bateman, but also Bobby Fite (the other big love of my pre-teen life) wasn't coming back, I was done. Nothing against Ricky Schroder and Alfonso Ribeiro, but they just couldn't hold a candle to Jason Bateman and Bobby Fite as far as I was concerned.

I did follow Jason over to 'It's Your Move', and I remember liking the show, but I also distinctly remember sometime midway through that season he hit a growth spurt and suddenly went from looking 12 to 16 within the span of one year (to an 11/12 year old like me that was just the ultimate betrayal). I hadn't outgrown him, but he had obviously outgrown me, and things were never the same for me after that. I was too young to follow the industry "rumors" about how/why Bateman had left 'Spoons', but looking back on it now, I would guess the creators/producers probably realized they had another "star" on their hands, and just decided to double their ad-revenue by splitting Schroder and Bateman into two separate series.

Anyway, here's a better copy of the same pic and another from the same photo-shoot. I don't even remember where I found these, but I think these are the only two photos I've ever seen of Bateman during his years on the show.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #10
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Keep Calm & Write Fan Fiction

Location: Seattle-Home to "Frasier" and the Superbowl 48 Champion Seattle Seahawks

I used to LOVE this show and I had forgotten that Jason Bateman was a cast member. I was more enamoraed with Ricky Schroder. But both of them have done very well for themselves.

Rick was amazing on NYPD Blue and the only reason he left the show (according to what I've read) is because they wouldn't give him the extra time off he asked for to be with his family.

As for Jason Bateman, I hadn't heard about any of this "controversy/feuding" on the Silver Spoons set, but it would be interesting to see what their relationship is like now.

I would imagine that since this is the first I'm hearing about this that there aren't any hard feelings. After all, they were both kids back then and they may not have had any say in the matter.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

He must have been a RIOT on screen because he work on this show led to the show...It's Your Move in 1984 where he was a main cast member
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
crakker_jakk
Frequent Poster
~~~~~~~~~~~

Another rare 'Spoons' era pic I just found in my files. There seemed to be plenty of pictures of him a couple years later after he became a "teen idol" on 'It's Your Move' and 'Valerie', but pictures of him during the 'Spoons' years are hard to find..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jason-Bateman-1983.jpg (64.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Rich3
Forum Regular

Nothing against Bateman. I think he's a fine comedic actor.

But I think that Schroder was clearly the best actor to ever appear on the series. Even more so than the regular adults. The only exception might be the grandfather who appeared on occasion. But Scroder had been acting with some of the greatest actors in the industry up to that point. He had already made several great and acclaimed feature films.