Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Family Matters links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Family Matters Photo Gallery

Family Matters - The Complete First Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete First Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Second Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Third Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Family Matters - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Family Matters - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Family Matters
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Family Matters - The Complete First Season DVD Review

At long last the popular ‘90s sitcom Family Matters is now on to DVD! Warner Home Video has released the complete first season on DVD (streets June 8, 2010) with all 22 episodes on a nice three-disc set! Family Matters aired from 1989-1998 on ABC’s popular TGIF block on Friday nights. The sitcom is a spin-off of the ABC series Perfect Strangers (1986-1993), which had Harriette as the elevator operator at the Chicago Chronicle (where Larry and Balki worked). This spin-off focuses on her family, the Winslow’s. The Winslow family consists of Harriette’s husband Carl, who is a police officer, and their kids Eddie, Laura and Judy. Also living with them are Harriette’s sister Rachel and her infant son Richie. But what will happen when Carol invites his mother to move in with them?

Then midway through the first season, Jaleel White made a one-shot appearance as neighborhood nerd Steve Urkel. With oversized glasses, undersized body, screechy voice and indomitable self-confidence, Urkel proved irresistibly funny, turning White into an overnight sensation and a new star of the show as his role grew more and more by the end of the season.

Family Matters stars Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow, JoMarie Payton-France as Harriette Winslow, Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow, Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow, Kellie Shanygne as Laura Winslow, Jamiee Foxworth as Judy Winslow, Joseph Julius Wright as little Richie, and Telma Hopkins as Rachel. Jaleel White recurs as Steve Urkel. Note: Valerie Jones played Judy Winslow in the first episode.

Read our review by Pavan here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/familym...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
At long last the popular ‘90s sitcom Family Matters is now on to DVD! Warner Home Video has released the complete first season on DVD (streets June 8, 2010) with all 22 episodes on a nice three-disc set! Family Matters aired from 1989-1998 on ABC’s popular TGIF block on Friday nights. The sitcom is a spin-off of the ABC series Perfect Strangers (1986-1993), which had Harriette as the elevator operator at the Chicago Chronicle (where Larry and Balki worked). This spin-off focuses on her family, the Winslow’s. The Winslow family consists of Harriette’s husband Carl, who is a police officer, and their kids Eddie, Laura and Judy. Also living with them are Harriette’s sister Rachel and her infant son Richie. But what will happen when Carol invites his mother to move in with them?

Then midway through the first season, Jaleel White made a one-shot appearance as neighborhood nerd Steve Urkel. With oversized glasses, undersized body, screechy voice and indomitable self-confidence, Urkel proved irresistibly funny, turning White into an overnight sensation and a new star of the show as his role grew more and more by the end of the season.

Family Matters stars Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow, JoMarie Payton-France as Harriette Winslow, Rosetta LeNoire as Estelle Winslow, Darius McCrary as Eddie Winslow, Kellie Shanygne as Laura Winslow, Jamiee Foxworth as Judy Winslow, Joseph Julius Wright as little Richie, and Telma Hopkins as Rachel. Jaleel White recurs as Steve Urkel. Note: Valerie Jones played Judy Winslow in the first episode.

Read our review by Pavan here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/familym...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.

I don't even remeber the opening teasers from 1989 so I don't think it's that big of deal. Like you said teasers have nothing to do with the extended ep so it's not too bad
Old 05-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Right. Still, I wish Rachel's First Date had the original opening teaser, instead of the added Urkel one. Not a big deal, though, as the other 3 are the original opening teasers.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan
Right. Still, I wish Rachel's First Date had the original opening teaser, instead of the added Urkel one. Not a big deal, though, as the other 3 are the original opening teasers.

I think I will be purchasing the DVD set as soon as it comes out. Any word on if it will also be released June 8 in Canada as well?

I agree about the cold open issues. If they put it for 3 out of 4 it doesn't really make sense why they would do that. Also, shouldn't they have used the syndicated open for the 10th as opposed to the 4th episode? Sort of strange.

Too bad they couldn't use the original opening theme song but at least they are using the full version of "As Days Go By."

Seems to be a pretty good release. I'd really like to see a special feature from the producers or something explaining all of the complicated issues like the changing of theme song, Urkel's addition to the show and how they remade certain scenes of the show, and other similar issues. It stills seems to be a gray area even for the biggest fans of the show.

This has to be one of the more complicated releases a season of a show has ever had. Maybe that's why it took so long to release. Maybe if it sells well the remaining seasons will see quicker releases.

On a semi-related note, Pav, do you think it would be a good time to release the next season of Diff'rent Strokes? Everybody has been talking about Gary Coleman's death the last few days. Maybe that would help drum up sales for the show.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

What do you mean use the syndicated opening on the 10th episode? All of them have the full "As Days Go By" theme that runs like 1:20. I would assume it is out June 8 in Canada as well and I hope Sony does continue Diff'rent Strokes, but even if they announce it now...it wouldn't be out until late summer/early fall.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
DSfan

Quote:
What do you mean use the syndicated opening on the 10th episode? All of them have the full "As Days Go By" theme that runs like 1:20. I would assume it is out June 8 in Canada as well and I hope Sony does continue Diff'rent Strokes, but even if they announce it now...it wouldn't be out until late summer/early fall.

What I meant to say was the cold open. Sorry for the confusion. Saying why they would choose to use only one with Urkel and, at that, at one of the earlier ones when they used the original cold opens on episodes 7, etc like you mentioned in the review.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Lorimar Television
Forum Regular

This sounds like a good release. Very disappointed about Rachel's First Date being the Urkel cold open, but at least the others are original. Episode eight's cold open features a scene in the extended theme song. The one of Laura, Eddie, and Judy playing pictionary, so it's good we get that back.
I have a few questions though:

1. Is Jaleel White credited during the end credits of Rachel's First Date ?

2. Was What a Wonderful World used in the first episode on the dvd? If not, does it have Jaimee Foxworth in the credits or Valerie Jones?

3. You said, "We get a nice cast photo of the Winslow family, but not Judy for some reason. Show credits are on the right side." Is "show credits" mentioning the cast? If so does it at least say Jaimee Foxworth plays Judy?

4.You also said, "We start off the menu with the closing theme music (instrumental version of “As Days Goes By”)", is it the end theme like this:
http://www.retrojunk.com/tv/videos/2...rs/2719/#intro or is it something different?

5. Are the end credits the original, without Reginald VelJohnson's voice over?

6. Is Jaimee Foxworth featured at all in the episode guide booklet?

Last edited by Lorimar Television : 05-30-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Lorimar Television
Forum Regular

Ok, so I just did a little research by watching both versions of the Urkel added cold opens. It seems that in the three episodes the originals are used, they run the exact same time as the the ones with Urkel added. But Rachel's First Date's original cold open is 25 seconds and the Urkel added is 46 seconds. Maybe they wanted to use the longer one? Or maybe they couldnt find the original in decent quality?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

rebafan1, see answers to your questions below:

1. Is Jaleel White credited during the end credits of Rachel's First Date ?
A: Yes, he is.

2. Was What a Wonderful World used in the first episode on the dvd? If not, does it have Jaimee Foxworth in the credits or Valerie Jones?
A: No, as stated in the review "What a Wonderful World" is not on the DVD at all. I'll check if Foxworth was credited in this theme, but I don't think she was. Jones was I think.

3. You said, "We get a nice cast photo of the Winslow family, but not Judy for some reason. Show credits are on the right side." Is "show credits" mentioning the cast? If so does it at least say Jaimee Foxworth plays Judy?
A: Yes, the names of the cast. Foxworth is listed and Jones. Jones says: pilot episode only.

4.You also said, "We start off the menu with the closing theme music (instrumental version of “As Days Goes By”)", is it the end theme like this:
http://www.retrojunk.com/tv/videos/2...rs/2719/#intro or is it something different?
A: Yes, exactly.

5. Are the end credits the original, without Reginald VelJohnson's voice over?
A: No voiceover. That is only for syndication.

A:. Nope, only a picture of Valerie.

Last edited by Pavan : 05-31-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Lorimar Television
Forum Regular

Thanks for the answers. Please tell me when you get a chance about the pilot opening, and if Valerie is credited, do they have different scenes when they show clips from episodes, or do they still have Jaimee, like when she and Laura are feeding the birds, or when she and Mother Winslow high five, or singing stop in the name of love? And during the bridge scene when the family's riding bikes, does it say "Producer Paula A. Roth"? Because that was only used in the pilot. Is it like this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjU-98TW4A Is Valerie's credit longer than that version, like do you see her putting the doll in the dollhouse, or does she just sit down?
Quote:

A:. Yes, as indicated in a previous question.

Are there any pics of her in the guide? Thanks again for answering all these, and I'm sorry if I'm bugging you with all of the questions.

Last edited by Lorimar Television : 05-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

1. Please tell me when you get a chance about the pilot opening, and if Valerie is credited, do they have different scenes when they show clips from episodes, or do they still have Jaimee, like when she and Laura are feeding the birds, or when she and Mother Winslow high five, or singing stop in the name of love?
A: Valerie is indeed credited. They have different scenes when they show clips from episodes. Valerie and Kellie are feeding the birds.

2. And during the bridge scene when the family's riding bikes, does it say "Producer Paula A. Roth"? Because that was only used in the pilot. Is it like this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjU-98TW4A Is Valerie's credit longer than that version, like do you see her putting the doll in the dollhouse, or does she just sit down?
A: Paula A. Roth is indeed credited when the bridge is shown. The theme is longer than the one you linked. It runs about 1:20. Valerie just sits down.

No pictures of Jamiee in the guide. There is a cast photo with Valerie Jones, though. And by the way, the credits are on the case, not the guide.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
Lorimar Television
Forum Regular

Thanks so much! Is Valerie's scene playing with her dollhouse longer than the one I linked? And do you know what scenes are shown in the opening credits, are they from the Wonderful World version?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Her credit is the same length. The scenes from episodes at the end make the opening longer. As for those scenes during the opening credits for the pilot opening, you'll have to watch on the DVD. You need something of a surprise for yourself It's unedited at about 1:20, so you can be assured of that in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

rebafan1 I thought I was picky about new dvd releases but you have me beat-lol Some questions for you

1. Did you watch the show on ABC in 1989?

2. If Not where were you able to see Uncut Openings?

3. Do you have Origina Airings of Family Matters in your own collection?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Lorimar Television
Forum Regular

No, to all your questions. I wasn't even born in 1989 lol. I've seen the uncut cold openings on youtube in German if that's what you meant. And thanks Pavan, you're right I do need a surprise, I just wanted to know what to expect so i wont be too disappointed, but this sounds like a great release.