Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

Default Canadian Fall 2010 TV Schedules

The Canadian TV networks have begun their upfronts and are now set to unveil their fall lineups for September of 2010. Global and CTV will have theirs next week. CBC was first off the mark with their upfront presentation yesterday and here is what they have to offer:

CBC - Fall 2010 Primetime Schedule

As usual, the network was absent at the US upfronts last week and will continue to function without any US imports in primetime. This season will see 2 new shows added to the schedule:

"Men With Brooms", a comedy about Canada's 2nd-most popular winter sport, curling, based on the movie from 2002 which starred Paul Gross and Leslie Nielsen. The other series is untitled and will feature popular Canadian designer Debbie Travis.

Among the returning series will be:

"Being Erica", now in its third season, which has also been picked up by SOAPNet in the US.

"Battle Of The Blades" (2nd season): The only reality series I've ever bothered to watch. It brings together former stars from hockey and figure skating in a freestyle pairs competition. The fun part is watching the hockey stars put on figure skates---toe picks and all---and some interesting costumes that they wouldn't normally be caught dead with and try to learn a different sport. Some of them actually do a great job at it. The viewers seemed to be impressed too. A few episodes were getting higher ratings than "Hockey Night In Canada" (also coming back, naturally) which is a sure sign of success in Canadian TV.

Other returning series of note include "The Rick Mercer Report", "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", "Just For Laughs", the long-running "The Nature Of Things" and the award-winning newscast "The National" with Peter Mansbridge.

For more info, here are a few links from the CBC website:

CBC Homepage

Videos On Demand --- Full Episodes and Clips of CBC series

Hockey Night In Canada

Stay tuned. There's more to come next week.

Recently added:

Gilligan's Island
The Bill Cosby Show (1969)
Three's Company (Complete Series)

Updated with new links:

Bewitched
I Dream Of Jeannie
Hogan's Heroes
The Brady Bunch
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

Today it was Global's turn to unveil their fall 2010 schedule and the primetime lineup looks like a very strong one with each night having at least one established hit show from one of the US networks and new series which round out the lineups for each night. The full schedule is found here:

Global TV Fall 2010 Schedule

The primetime schedule begins each night with both the US and Canadian versions of "Entertainment Tonight". Unlike CBC, Global only has 2 other homegrown series scheduled: "Shattered" and "Ice Pilots NWT". Among the many US imports there are 6 new series: "Lonestar", "Hawaii Five-O", "NCIS Los Angeles", "Outsourced", "Love Bites", and "Outlaw". The first 2 have a little irony involved. "Lonestar" used to be the name of one of Global's more popular specialty channels which now exists under a new name. Global is also counting on the new 2010 version of "Hawaii Five-O" to be a hit while at the same time announcing that the original 1960s series will be airing on DejaView later this fall. I'll have more details on that later this week.

Returning shows include: "Glee", "Survivor", "The Simpsons", "House", "The Office", "Family Guy", and the original "NCIS".

Links:

GlobalTV.com Homepage

Videos on Demand - Full Episodes Added Daily

Tomorrow: CTV
Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

Today, we will look at the fall schedule for CTV, which for many years now has proclaimed itself to be Canada's #1 network, and a look at the new schedule will show you why. CTV continues to be the home for both "American Idol" and "Dancing With The Stars" as well as the Canadian version of "So You Think You Can Dance". Other popular US imports returning this fall include "CSI:NY", "Law & Order:SVU" and "The Big Bang Theory", now on Thursday nights. New series added will be: "Law and Order: LA", "Blue Bloods", "The Defenders", "No Ordinary Family", and one new comedy, William Shatner's oddly-titled "S--- My Dad Says", which I personally can't wait to watch.

As impressive as this sounds, there's even bigger news ahead. At last week's upfronts, CTV announced that they will carry Conan O'Brien's new late-night talk show starting in November. As you may know, the show will be on TBS but the channel is no longer available in Canada. Instead, we now get Peachtree. So, to avoid shutting out his many Canadian fans (of which I am clearly NOT! one of them---I've always been a Leno fan and proud of it) he has agreed to let the show air on the main CTV network and on the specialty channel The Comedy Network.

Speaking of The Comedy Network, earlier this year they announced a major coup when they received permission to distribute nearly the entire online content from their US counterpart Comedy Central. That means that full episodes from series like "South Park", "Stephen Colbert", and "Jon Stewart", which also air on Comedy Central, can be seen in Canada without those annoying disclaimer messages that you see on sites like Hulu. For CTV, this is good news all around and they'll be hoping to continue celebrating as Canada's #1 network for at least another year.

Full details and links:

CTV Fall 2010 Schedule

CTV Homepage

Full Episodes and Video Clips

Conan O' Brien on CTV
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

Last week, I posted the schedules for the 3 major Canadian networks: CBC, CTV, and Global. Today, I will do the same for the other minor networks: CityTV, A Channel, and OMNI. These networks operate on a smaller budget and have a smaller viewing range and the overall selection of programming is fairly limited as well, but if you look hard enough, you may see something you like. While CTV and Global continue to roll out the big hits like "Glee" and "American Idol" every night, these networks end up with what's left over. Here's a brief look at each one:

A

The 'A' network is part of the CTV family of networks and specialty channels. The channel can be seen across Canada in Toronto (through channel CKVR in Barrie, Ontario), London (Ontario), Ottawa, Windsor, Vancouver, and the Maritime provinces. Their fall primetime lineup will feature only 3 new series: "Mike & Molly" from CBS, the only sitcom on the list; and new dramas "Hellcats" and "Nikita" (an updated version of "La Femme Nikita") from CW. Another CW series, "The Vampire Diaries" will also be seen this fall on A along with returning series "Two and a Half Men", "Law & Order:SVU", "Dateline NBC", and "Criminal Minds", which will be seen at 10 pm five nights a week. The primetime lineup kicks off at 7 pm each night with reruns of "Corner Gas" and new episodes of "Access Hollywood".

Fall Schedule For A --- Sept. 2010

CITY-TV

The once-powerful CITY-TV, a small independent station in Toronto from which grew a vast media empire, is now reduced to 5 local affiliates operating from Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton. It is currently operated by Rogers Communications. The fall primetime schedule will have 4 new dramas: "The Whole Truth" from ABC, "Chase", "The Event", and "Undercovers", all from NBC. Returning series will include "The Biggest Loser", "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", "How I Met Your Mother", "Modern Family", "Cougar Town", and "30 Rock".

CITY-TV Primetime Fall Schedule

Videos On Demand

OMNI

Like City-Tv, the OMNI channels are owned by Rogers Communications and are seen in limited viewing areas scattered across Canada in Calgary, Edmonton, British Columbia, and Ontario. The primetime lineup and much of the daytime schedule is made up of multicultural programming from many different languages. The English-language lineup includes daytime game shows "Let's Make a Deal", "The Price Is Right", "Deal Or No Deal", and "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" and syndicated reruns of series such as "The Simpsons", "Family Guy", "King Of The Hill", "Everybody Loves Raymond", "Two and a Half Men", and, beginning this fall, "How I Met Your Mother", which enters the rerun cycle for the first time. Here are the English-only series that will be seen on the 5 OMNI channels this fall, with each one being slightly different:

OMNI 1 (Toronto)

Weekdays

9:00 AM Nancy Grace
10:00 Maury Povich
11:00 The O.C.

5:00 PM Nate Berkus (Who???)
6:00 The Simpsons
6:30 How I Met Your Mother
7:00 Two and a Half Men
7:30 The Office

10:00 Law & Order:CI
11:00 Metropia (Local drama series)
11:35 David Letterman
12:35 AM Poker
1:30 Home Improvement (Thur.)/Everybody Loves Raymond (Fri.)

On Sundays, OMNI 1 will have "Home Improvement" at 5:00 and 5:30 pm and will simulcast that evening's episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos" with ABC at 7 pm. The rest of the lineup will have various multicultural programming.

OMNI 2 (Toronto)

Weekdays

10:00 AM Let's Make A Deal
11:00 The Price Is Right
12:00 PM Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
12:30 Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
1:00 Deal Or No Deal

6:00 Don't Forget The Lyrics
6:30 Don't Forget The Lyrics
7:00 Family Guy
7:30 The Simpsons

10:00 Two and a Half Men
10:30 King Of Queens
11:00 Cold Case

12:00 AM Home Improvement (Wed)/Everybody Loves Raymond (Thu)/The
O.C. (Fri/Sat)

12:30 Home Improvement (Wed)/Everybody Loves Raymond (Thu)

OMNI Alberta (schedules for both Calgary and Edmonton channels)

Weekdays

10:00 AM Maury Povich
11:00 The Price Is Right
12:00 PM Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
12:30 Everybody Loves Raymond

4:00 Nate Berkus
5:00 T.B.A.
5:30 King Of Queens
6:00 Don't Forget The Lyrics
6:30 How I Met Your Mother
7:30 The Simpsons

10:00 Two and a Half Men
10:30 The Office
11:00 Metropia
11:30 T.B.A
12:00 AM Poker
1:00 The O.C.

Saturdays

6:00 and 6:30 pm The Office

Sundays

6:00 and 6:30 pm Two and a Half Men
7:00 and 7:30 pm How I Met Your Mother
8:00 America's Funniest Home Videos

12:00 and 12:30 am Frasier
1:00 The O.C.

OMNI BC (British Columbia)

Weekdays

10:00 AM The Price Is Right
11:00 Nate Berkus

2:00 PM Maury Povich
3:00 Don't Forget The Lyrics
3:30 Don't Forget The Lyrics
4:00 Law and Order: SVU
5:00 T.B.A.
6:00 The Simpsons
6:30 Friends
7:30 Two and a Half Men

10:00 Law and Order: CI
11:00 T.B.A.
11:35 David Letterman
12:35 AM Poker
1:30 Home Improvement (Mon-Thu)/Friends (Fri.)

Saturdays

1:00 and 2:00 AM Cold Case

Sundays

7:00 PM America's Funniest Home Videos
12:00 AM Cold Case

Note: All times are local.

Later this week: The specialty channels.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
"Battle Of The Blades" (2nd season): The only reality series I've ever bothered to watch. It brings together former stars from hockey and figure skating in a freestyle pairs competition. The fun part is watching the hockey stars put on figure skates---toe picks and all---and some interesting costumes that they wouldn't normally be caught dead with and try to learn a different sport. Some of them actually do a great job at it. The viewers seemed to be impressed too. A few episodes were getting higher ratings than "Hockey Night In Canada" (also coming back, naturally) which is a sure sign of success in Canadian TV.

Other returning series of note include "The Rick Mercer Report", "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", "Just For Laughs", the long-running "The Nature Of Things" and the award-winning newscast "The National" with Peter Mansbridge.

I watch The National and can't wait for the second season of Battle of the Blades.

The new show looked like a winner on paper, and turned into must-see TV for me after I saw the Tie Domi and Bob Probert promo.

Message Board
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra 3
I watch The National and can't wait for the second season of Battle of the Blades.

The new show looked like a winner on paper, and turned into must-see TV for me after I saw the Tie Domi and Bob Probert promo.

It was a great show. As usual, Domi came out ahead of Probert on the ice.

For Season 2, you can expect to see stars like Wendel Clark and Russ Courtnall and a few surprises along the way. I don't know the full roster yet but I'll post it when I find it.

What I can tell you about this fall is that two stations have been rebranded and will look significantly different next year. The first is SUN TV, a local independent channel which is found in the Toronto area. Its ratings have been dismal from the start and so now it will try again having failed twice before as SUN TV and Toronto 1. It will now be an all-news channel as of Jan. 1, 2011 called SUN TV News. It will try to present the news with a harder edge and more controversy than other Canadian news channels. Its new direction has already created a little controversy in the media and has drawn mainly unfavorable comparisons to the Fox News channel. Just what we need around here, right guys?

I am also a little sad to report that it was announced today that the digital channel TV Land Canada (which I know some of you liked better than the US version) will no longer exist after August 2, 2010. On that date, it will be rebranded under the new name Comedy Gold. The new channel (owned by CTV) will be all sitcoms, all the time and will feature comedy series from the 70s to the 90s that will include "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "Murphy Brown", "Fresh Prince", "The Bob Newhart Show", "Newhart", "Night Court", and "SCTV" among others. Now if only I could find a station that has shows from the 50s and 60s, I'd be very happy. I will have the full schedule ASAP. These are the only series that have been announced so far.

Another new channel will launch in a few weeks and it will be called Global Reality Channel. The Canwest/Global company will present the first (and hopefully the last) channel in Canada which will be devoted to all reality TV series. That means a full day of reruns of stuff like "Survivor", "The Apprentice", "Real Housewives", "Big Brother", "Hell's Kitchen", and more, all starting on Canada Day, July 1, 2010.

Global Reality Channel --- Fall 2010 - As of July 1, 2010

I know...sickening, isn't it?

I can also give you the fall schedules for a few other channels that you may like that have been announced and are all official. The links are all here:

TVTropolis --- As of August 30, 2010

DejaView --- As of August 30, 2010

Global TV Classics --- Full Episodes Of Classic Shows From DejaView

More news to come. Stay tuned.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
DSfan

Why are you sad about it becoming Comedy Gold? While I would have preferred to see the old TV Land logo and name stay, the fact that it will be all sitcoms is very nice.

Also, they already are going to have sitcoms that we haven't seen on Canadian TV in quite some time.

To announce on June 21 the rebrand, and launch on August 2 gives them about 6 weeks to acquire shows and produce a schedule. Isn't that just a little bit rushed? They have the 7 sitcoms that you mentioned but in the press release, it said more were to come.

Do you know if Happy Days or any of the TV Land Canada shows will carryover?

Are they, like Dejaview and other channels, going to have to air a specified amount of Canadian content? If so, how many hours and would it be shows like Whatever Happened to? or will they air rare Canadian sitcoms?

Please post the schedule whenever you get it. I will be checking Channel Canada closely for any updates as well.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
DSfan

Sal, I thought you'd be interested: On the Channel Canada forum, some of us came to the realization that it is very likely all of Comedy Gold's sitcoms will be coming from the Warner or FOX libraries. Here is my post from there...

So far, Fresh Prince, Murphy Brown, and Night Court are coming from Warner Bros.
Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, Bob Newhart are from FOX.

If the assumption is correct that most of the titles will be coming from Warner and FOX (in addition to whatever sketch comedy programs, probably Canadian ones, that they have), I can see them possibly adding some of the following:

From Warner: ALF, Alice, Chico and the Man, Eight is Enough, Family Matters, Full House, Growing Pains, Hangin with Mr. Cooper, Head of the Class, Hogan Family, Mama's Family, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step, Welcome Back Kotter, Wonder Years (above someone mentioned it's owned by Sony???),

From FOX: Evening Shade, In Living Color (soooo likely), MASH, Mr. Belvedere, Phyllis, Rhoda, Small Wonder, WKRP In Cincinnati.

-------------

Although these are less likely, good to still have an idea what shows come from which company so that, should they ever strike a deal with these companies, we know what the possiblilties are: (ps. in the press release, they did mention having more shows coming so maybe that's because they ARE working on a deal with, for example, Paramount. Otherwise, they could have simply announced the other shows from Warner or FOX. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.)

From Paramount: Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Taxi, Bosom Buddies, Joanie Loves Chaci, Family Ties, Cheers, Webster, Wings, Frasier.

From Universal: Charles in Charge, Saved by the Bell, Punky Brewster.

From Carsey-Werner: Cosby Show, A Different World, Grace Under Fire, Roseanne.

I really don't see them getting any Universal or Carsey-Werner shows either.
Hopefully they can get from Paramount because I think many of those would fit quite well.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

DSFan, you've made some good points and I'll try to answer them as best as I can:

The reason I'm sad about TV Land Canada leaving and Comedy Gold taking its place is as follows. Comedy Gold will be airing sitcoms from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, which is good because the '70s and '80s was a great era for sitcoms and many of my favorites aired during this time. What I'm really sad about is that they won't be showing anything from the 1950s or 1960s, the true golden era of TV comedy and the time that I enjoy visiting most through TV. This means that while we might see more of "Mary Tyler Moore", "Newhart", "Night Court", and more to follow, there won't be any "I Love Lucy" or "Leave It To Beaver" or "The Phil Silvers Show", now winding down on TV Land Canada, and you can forget about "Bewitched", "Beverly Hillbilllies", "Dick Van Dyke" or other classics from the same period, and that for me is simply bad news. I have no doubt that Comedy Gold will succeed, and they should be a lot better than DejaView, but they could have been better.

I honestly have no idea what other shows will be on Comedy Gold other than the ones that have been announced or from what companies they will be bought from. There will be some Canadian content on there in addition to "SCTV" but I don't know what might follow since there have been very few Canadian sitcoms that have lasted long enough to be considered classics, except for "King Of Kensington" and "Corner Gas". Expect a few SCTV-styled sketch comedies to go on instead, most likely "Bizarre" and maybe "Super Dave" and "Kids in The Hall" as well. What I don't expect at all, and this I would consider a strength for the channel, are time-wasting filler programs like "Whatever Happened To?", "Tube Tales", "Carlawood" and others that take up a lot of wasted time slots on many of the Global specialty channels. What you also won't see are programs that are on the US TV Land that they used to replace the classic sitcoms that should never have left in the first place, like, for example, the TV Land Awards. But there is an exception and CTV has big plans for it, just not on Comedy Gold.

If you follow the Channel Canada website like I do, one of the biggest announcements about this fall's schedule that was posted on there that you may have seen concerns TV Land's newest smash comedy hit "Hot In Cleveland" starring Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli. From the minute that the series was announced by TV Land, there was great concern from Canadian viewers that they may not get to see this potentially great new show since it isn't on any of the major US networks. But CTV listened to the viewers' concerns and quickly stepped in to fix the problem by making a slight adjustment to their schedule. The show will now officially make its Canadian debut on the main CTV network Monday July 5 at 8:00 PM, bolstering an already strong Monday night lineup, and Friday July 9 at 8:30 pm on the Comedy Network. If you miss the series on either day, you can catch the full episodes again online on CTV's website the next day.

This is all I know for now. I'll post the official info when it happens. For now, I'll just take a shot and guess what might be added to the Comedy Gold lineup this fall. Let's see...I'll guess "The Cosby Show", "Cheers", "WKRP In Cincinnati", "Bizarre", "Family Ties", "Happy Days", "Benson", and "Designing Women". If you want to play along and make a few guesses yourself, go ahead. This sounds like a lot of fun! I'll bet your schedules will be better than the real one, but only time will tell. See you later!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
DSFan, you've made some good points and I'll try to answer them as best as I can:

The reason I'm sad about TV Land Canada leaving and Comedy Gold taking its place is as follows. Comedy Gold will be airing sitcoms from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, which is good because the '70s and '80s was a great era for sitcoms and many of my favorites aired during this time. What I'm really sad about is that they won't be showing anything from the 1950s or 1960s, the true golden era of TV comedy and the time that I enjoy visiting most through TV. This means that while we might see more of "Mary Tyler Moore", "Newhart", "Night Court", and more to follow, there won't be any "I Love Lucy" or "Leave It To Beaver" or "The Phil Silvers Show", now winding down on TV Land Canada, and you can forget about "Bewitched", "Beverly Hillbilllies", "Dick Van Dyke" or other classics from the same period, and that for me is simply bad news. I have no doubt that Comedy Gold will succeed, and they should be a lot better than DejaView, but they could have been better.

I honestly have no idea what other shows will be on Comedy Gold other than the ones that have been announced or from what companies they will be bought from. There will be some Canadian content on there in addition to "SCTV" but I don't know what might follow since there have been very few Canadian sitcoms that have lasted long enough to be considered classics, except for "King Of Kensington" and "Corner Gas". Expect a few SCTV-styled sketch comedies to go on instead, most likely "Bizarre" and maybe "Super Dave" and "Kids in The Hall" as well. What I don't expect at all, and this I would consider a strength for the channel, are time-wasting filler programs like "Whatever Happened To?", "Tube Tales", "Carlawood" and others that take up a lot of wasted time slots on many of the Global specialty channels. What you also won't see are programs that are on the US TV Land that they used to replace the classic sitcoms that should never have left in the first place, like, for example, the TV Land Awards. But there is an exception and CTV has big plans for it, just not on Comedy Gold.

If you follow the Channel Canada website like I do, one of the biggest announcements about this fall's schedule that was posted on there that you may have seen concerns TV Land's newest smash comedy hit "Hot In Cleveland" starring Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli. From the minute that the series was announced by TV Land, there was great concern from Canadian viewers that they may not get to see this potentially great new show since it isn't on any of the major US networks. But CTV listened to the viewers' concerns and quickly stepped in to fix the problem by making a slight adjustment to their schedule. The show will now officially make its Canadian debut on the main CTV network Monday July 5 at 8:00 PM, bolstering an already strong Monday night lineup, and Friday July 9 at 8:30 pm on the Comedy Network. If you miss the series on either day, you can catch the full episodes again online on CTV's website the next day.

This is all I know for now. I'll post the official info when it happens. For now, I'll just take a shot and guess what might be added to the Comedy Gold lineup this fall. Let's see...I'll guess "The Cosby Show", "Cheers", "WKRP In Cincinnati", "Bizarre", "Family Ties", "Happy Days", "Benson", and "Designing Women". If you want to play along and make a few guesses yourself, go ahead. This sounds like a lot of fun! I'll bet your schedules will be better than the real one, but only time will tell. See you later!

Yeah, that's true. I agree about it being unfortunate that they are leaving out the 50s and 60s sitcoms. They didn't need to make it the focal point of the channel but would've been nice to have I Love Lucy, Honeymooners, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Beverly Hillbillies, etc.

It seems that those shows are truly becoming a dying breed but at least they will live on with the DVD sets. (PS I don't know what provider you have but on my videotron illico channel 27 called TAC, I think, they show I Love Lucy and Perry Mason randomly).

Oh no, I really hope we don't have to deal with King of Kensington again. I remember around 2003 when TV Land Canada would air the commercials for it nonstop! I never even watched it but the commercials made me hate that show so much. Check It Out! could also be a candidate for Comedy Gold; it aired at the same time as King of Kensington on TV Land Canada.

I just really hope that they reach a deal with Paramount because they have a lot of the shows I want to see like Family Ties, Taxi, Bosom Buddies, etc. However, Warner has some of my all-time favorites in Step by Step, Family Matters, Full House, and also ALF.

As long as Comedy Gold has a unique lineup that doesn't show anything from Dejaview I'll be satisfied. If they even think about airing Golden Girls, I may go insane.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

The new Comedy Gold schedule is out today and I have to admit that it is a big improvement over TV Land Canada but overall I would still consider it slightly below average---not terrible, just disappointing. However, I am very pleased that "Andy Griffith" and "Phil Silvers", the only pre-1970s shows on the schedule, have remained from the TV Land lineup. The only other shows that I would want to watch on a regular basis are "Mary Tyler Moore" and the 2 Bob Newhart series and that surprises me because the channel's announcement last week came with much fanfare and excitement that I was expecting a better---and more varied---lineup. Instead we get something like Dejaview 2. I think if the bosses at CTV took more time to plan the schedule instead of rushing it just to make it look better than Global---whose new Global Reality Channel debuts tomorrow---they might have come up with something better. As it is, we might have to wait about a year or two before we see some improvement, unless CTV completely ignores it like they did with TV Land. If that happens, they should change its name again to Tragedy Gold. Here's the full schedule which takes effect August 2, 2010:

Comedy Gold --- Fall Schedule --- As of Aug. 2, 2010
Old 07-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
DSfan

About the schedule:

-They said, in the press release, that they would be airing SCTV and Night Court, but they are nowhere to be found on the schedule.

-Also, in the press release, they said the focus would be on 70s-90s sitcoms. They obviously didn't fully follow that restriction as Andy Griffith and Phil Silvers will air. Also, Ready or Not should not be classified as a sitcom either.

-Sad to see Happy Days and Love, American Style gone.

-Comedy Gold isn't really that much of a "new" channel. To me, it is just as if TV Land Canada announced a new Fall schedule. The rebranding hasn't gone to the lengths that I envisioned it would upon hearing the news in the initial press release.

-Nice to see Full House appear on the schedule since it wasn't one of the shows included in the press release.

-There really isn't anything wrong with any of the shows they are airing. It's just that, to me, the problem is all of the repeating. If you wanted to sit down and watch the channel for 12 hours straight (not that you'd do that, but still) you'd end up re-watching the same episodes of the same shows about 3 times. I would have much rather seen more variety and less repetition. That, and nothing else, is what makes this channel such a disappointment. The whole rebranding idea gave us hope but really it is just a new schedule for TV Land Canada with a different name for the channel. There hasn't really been much of a rebranding at all. In fact, it seems that the channel is repeating more often than TV Land Canada.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Sal
Future NHL Commissioner

To DS and other Canadian TV fans,

As a fan of classic/vintage/retro sitcoms I am upset at the fact that Canada hasn't produced a half-decent classic TV channel in the last dozen years, before reality shows ruined every channel's lineups, before PRIME became TVTropolis, and there weren't a million digital channels with the same 6 series on them scattered around the TV landscape. But, even in the worst of times like we're seeing now, I do believe that some hope is on its way, and soon.

If we can't enjoy our favorite classic sitcoms, then why not our favourite cartoons? Why wait until Saturday mornings when you can watch Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones every day? For the last 3 years, these and other great characters have been seen on Teletoon Retro, Canada's first classic cartoon station. There will be more great shows to follow this fall, but the station has yet to officially announce their fall schedule and isn't expected to do so for a few weeks yet. So let's see if we can do it for them!

Today, while going through the Channel Canada Fall Preview site, I noticed they had a sample of what might appear on Teletoon Retro this fall. They announced that 3 series will definitely be returning: "The Smurfs", "Batman: The Animated Series", and best of all "Yogi Bear". Nothing else was mentioned as far as other returning series or possible new shows so I had to look elsewhere for clues just like Scooby Doo would do! So I stumbled upon the Teletoon Retro page on Wikipedia and I'm glad I did. On their page, it listed all series that currently air on the channel, and, there is a section called "Coming Soon" which listed 7 other series which could become future attractions. I know that Wikipedia is supposed to be infamous for not being a very reliable source but then again look what happened when Comedy Gold made their official announcement last week. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that at least half of these shows will make it to air shortly after Sept. The lucky 7 are: "Tom and Jerry", (no surprise there) "Wacky Races", "Casper and Friends", "The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show", "Underdog", "Looney Tunes", and "Mister Magoo". All this in addition to what they already have. I wonder now, if we're getting "Wacky Races", can "Penelope Pitstop" and "Dastardly and Muttley" be very far behind? Hmmm... I think I mentioned this last year at this time and I'll emphatically repeat it today:

In my opinion, Teletoon Retro is the best television channel in Canada today, period, or rather, make that, exclamation mark!

Channel Canada Fall Preview --- Teletoon Retro Programming Highlights

Wikipedia --- Teletoon Retro Programming List

Th-th-th-that's all folks!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
DSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
To DS and other Canadian TV fans,

As a fan of classic/vintage/retro sitcoms I am upset at the fact that Canada hasn't produced a half-decent classic TV channel in the last dozen years, before reality shows ruined every channel's lineups, before PRIME became TVTropolis, and there weren't a million digital channels with the same 6 series on them scattered around the TV landscape. But, even in the worst of times like we're seeing now, I do believe that some hope is on its way, and soon.

If we can't enjoy our favorite classic sitcoms, then why not our favourite cartoons? Why wait until Saturday mornings when you can watch Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones every day? For the last 3 years, these and other great characters have been seen on Teletoon Retro, Canada's first classic cartoon station. There will be more great shows to follow this fall, but the station has yet to officially announce their fall schedule and isn't expected to do so for a few weeks yet. So let's see if we can do it for them!

Today, while going through the Channel Canada Fall Preview site, I noticed they had a sample of what might appear on Teletoon Retro this fall. They announced that 3 series will definitely be returning: "The Smurfs", "Batman: The Animated Series", and best of all "Yogi Bear". Nothing else was mentioned as far as other returning series or possible new shows so I had to look elsewhere for clues just like Scooby Doo would do! So I stumbled upon the Teletoon Retro page on Wikipedia and I'm glad I did. On their page, it listed all series that currently air on the channel, and, there is a section called "Coming Soon" which listed 7 other series which could become future attractions. I know that Wikipedia is supposed to be infamous for not being a very reliable source but then again look what happened when Comedy Gold made their official announcement last week. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that at least half of these shows will make it to air shortly after Sept. The lucky 7 are: "Tom and Jerry", (no surprise there) "Wacky Races", "Casper and Friends", "The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show", "Underdog", "Looney Tunes", and "Mister Magoo". All this in addition to what they already have. I wonder now, if we're getting "Wacky Races", can "Penelope Pitstop" and "Dastardly and Muttley" be very far behind? Hmmm... I think I mentioned this last year at this time and I'll emphatically repeat it today:

In my opinion, Teletoon Retro is the best television channel in Canada today, period, or rather, make that, exclamation mark!

Channel Canada Fall Preview --- Teletoon Retro Programming Highlights

Wikipedia --- Teletoon Retro Programming List

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Sooooo true! I actually love that channel. I used to watch a lot of those shows on YTV and Teletoon in the golden ages of when they were 2 of the best channels around. I also saw that annoucement on Channel Canada and I'm wondering (hoping) that the 3 shows they mentioned aren't the ONLY cartoons returning come fall. I'd love for them to add those 7 shows you mentioned and not get rid of anything (or not as many as they're adding at least). I like how with Josie & the Pussycats, etc they don't give it a daily timeslot so as to be capable of airing more shows. Hopefully, the same sort of thing will happen this fall although I think it's inevitable that some of the cartoons will be removed but none of the big ones like Scooby, Flintstones, Jetsons, Bugs Bunny, will be I don't think.

I agree, best channel in Canada (and maybe the world?) hahah. No, seriously, even though they repeat some of their shows throughout the day they have so many programs to air and different ones on different days, etc.

They still need to one day, in my opinion, air Charlie Brown & Snoopy, Garfield & Friends, Wally Gator (come on!), different Scooby-Doo series (A Pup Named Scooby Doo, etc), Adventures of Tintin, hmmm what else can you think of?

They should get rid of Reboot, who cares loolll. That's the odd man out of all of their programs and maybe Fraggle Rock too, a little bit.

Also, forgot to say, look at Wikipedia under former programming - it's 7 shows! They currently air around 30 (how crazy is that?) and appear to be adding 7 more. PS, Wikipedia was right about future programming for them in the past. Glad you spotted that because I checked there just a couple days ago and that future programming section wasn't there.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Anyone know why the entire series of some shows is/was not shown?

On TVland Canada, only the first 3 season of the Andy Griffith Show are shown. AG ran for 8 years. Only the first couple of seasons of Love, American Style are shown.

Currently on Deja Vu, only the first 4 seasons of the Golden Girls are being shown. When Deja Vu had One Day at a Time, also only the first 4 seasons were shown.

Back to TVLand where on weekends they show Ready or Not, we are seeing the same episodes over, over & over since RON was a short series.