Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Designing Women links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Designing Women Photo Gallery

Designing Women - The Complete First Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete First Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Complete Second Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Complete Third Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Designing Women - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Designing Women - The Final (Seventh) Season

Buy Designing Women - The Final (Seventh) Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Designing Women

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 24, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mark-Paul Gosselaar Cast in black-ish Spinoff; Urkel Makes a Return in Scooby Doo
Fri-Yay: The Amazing Superstore Season 4 Finale; Netflix Has Healing Powers
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Returns with "Modern" Twist; Showtime Is Back to Life For New Comedy
truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Dixie Carter Dies at 70

Link

LOS ANGELES — Dixie Carter, the "Designing Women" star who used her Southern charm, quick wit and stately beauty in a host of roles on Broadway and television, died Saturday. She was 70.

Publicist Steve Rohr, who represents Carter and her husband, actor Hal Holbrook, said Carter died Saturday morning. He would not disclose where she died or the cause of death. Carter and Holbrook lived in the Los Angeles area.

"This has been a terrible blow to our family," Holbrook said in a written statement. "We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy."

A native of Tennessee, Carter was most famous for playing wisecracking Southerner Julia Sugarbaker for seven years on "Designing Women," the CBS sitcom that ran from 1986 to 1993. The series was the peak of a career in which she often played wealthy and self-important but independent Southern women.

She was nominated for an Emmy in 2007 for her seven-episode guest stint on the ABC hit "Desperate Housewives."

Carter's other credits include roles on the series "Family Law" and "Different Strokes."

She married Holbrook in 1984. The two had met four years earlier while making the TV movie "The Killing of Randy Webster," and although attracted to one another, each had suffered two failed marriages and were wary at first.

They finally wed two years before Carter landed her role on "Designing Women." Holbrook appeared on the show regularly in the late 1980s as her boyfriend, Reese Watson.

The two appeared together in her final project, the 2009 independent film "That Evening Sun," shot in Tennessee and based on a short story by Southern novelist William Gay.

The middle of three children, Carter was born in 1939 in McLemoresville, Tenn.

Carter was the daughter of a grocery and department store owner who died just three years ago at 96. She said at the time of his death that he taught her to believe in people's essential goodness.

"When I asked him how he handled shoplifting in his new store, which had a lot of goods on display, making it impossible to keep an eye on everything, he said, 'Most people are honest, and if they weren't, you couldn't stay in business because a thief will find a way to steal,'" Carter said. "'You can't really protect yourself, but papa and I built our business believing most people are honest and want to do right by you.'"

Carter grew up in Carroll County and made her stage debut in a 1960 production of "Carousel" in Memphis. It was the beginning of a decades-long stage career in which she relied on her singing voice as much as her acting.

She appeared in TV soap operas in the 1970s, but did not become a national star until her recurring roles on "Different Strokes" and another series, "Filthy Rich," in the 1980s.

Those two parts led to her role on "Designing Women," a comedy about the lives of four women at an interior design firm in Atlanta.

Carter and Delta Burke played the sparring sisters who ran the firm. The series also starred Annie Potts and Jean Smart.

The show, whose reruns have rarely left the airwaves, was not a typical sitcom. It tackled such topics as sexism, ageism, body image and AIDS.

"It was something so unique, because there had never been anything quite like it," Potts told The Associated Press at a 2006 cast reunion. "We had Lucy and Ethel, but we never had that exponentially expanded, smart, attractive women who read newspapers and had passions about things and loved each other and stood by each other."

Carter appeared on the drama "Family Law" from 1999 to 2002, and in her last major TV appearance she played Gloria Hodge, the surly mother-in-law to Marcia Cross's Bree on "Desperate Housewives."

Carter said the role was far from the kindly woman she played on "Designing Women."

"It's a vast difference," Carter said while filming the series. "Gloria Hodge doesn't have any redeeming qualities except her intelligence."

In addition to Holbrook, Carter is survived by daughters Mary Dixie and Ginna.

Last edited by Zoneboy; 04-11-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Oh my God...this one is a shocker. So horribly sad.

HuntingtonM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

OMG. I'm just in shock. This is so unexpected. My prayers go out to Hal Holbrook and his family.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Unhappy

Dixie Carter

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

ILUVO&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

So sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed her performances.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
wayman
Frequent Poster

So sorry to hear this. I just got got Season 2 of "Designing Women" this week and I've been watching episodes both last night and today. Was very surprised to hear this.
wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Jude The Obscure
Retired

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............was not expecting this at all..........
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Kristen

Send a message via ICQ to Kristen Send a message via AIM to Kristen Send a message via MSN to Kristen Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen

Tottaly wasn't expecting this. I haven't gotten DW S3 yet, but now I sort of think I should. I forgot until I read this article about Hal. This is definitely a shame.

- Kristen
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
James"Thunder"Early
Whoever's In New England

I was shocked when I read this as well, it's so sad. May she rest in peace.

Peggy Mitchell: Get outta my pub!

You better pray you get the last laugh, it's a kick in the teeth when you don't get it.
James"Thunder"Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Unhappy

Oh my goodness - I did not see this coming at all!!! Dixie and may God be with Hal and her children at this hard time. How sad!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

The title of her autobiography is rather chilling now.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ When did that book come out?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
^ When did that book come out?
I don't own it, but it appears the 1st edition was released in 1996.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonM15
I don't own it, but it appears the 1st edition was released in 1996.
Ah, I see. I'll have to check it out one of these days. Thanks for the info. Did you get her autograph?