Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery


Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds


New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default

Here's what I found summarized:
Lucy in London = #1 (tied with three others)
Happy Anniversary and Goodbye = #4
Lucy Gets Lucky = Not in Top 20
Three for Two = #8
What Now Catherine Curtis = #16
CBS Salutes Lucy = #2
Lucy Calls the President = #12
Lucy Comes to Nashville = Not in Top 20
Lucy Moves to NBC = #52 (her lowest)
All Star Party for Lucille Ball = #8
Stone Pillow = #9

When is Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, What Now, Catherine Curtis, and Lucy Moves to NBC going to be out by MPI? DO you think Lucy comes to Nashville will ever be released?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

I saw a 1980 newspaper article about Lucy's move to NBC that referred to her last CBS special as a disaster. I'm assuming they were referring to Lucy Comes to Nashville. I remember being unaware of that special until sometime after it aired, and I subscribed to TV Guide and always looked for Lucy-related stuff. So I don't know how I missed it. I'm assuming they did a poor job publicizing it.

As for Lucy Moves to NBC, it's not hugely surprising it didn't do well, though 52nd place is really low. But NBC was really, really struggling back in those days. During the 1970-80 season, NBC only had four shows in the top 30. And their top show (Real People) was only in 15th place. Most NBC programs at that time were in the lower rankings. They were looking to Lucille Ball and Mel Brooks to save the network, but ultimately it was Bill Cosby several years later who pulled that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
Here's what I found summarized:
Lucy in London = #1 (tied with three others)
Happy Anniversary and Goodbye = #4
Lucy Gets Lucky = Not in Top 20
Three for Two = #8
What Now Catherine Curtis = #16
CBS Salutes Lucy = #2
Lucy Calls the President = #12
Lucy Comes to Nashville = Not in Top 20
Lucy Moves to NBC = #52 (her lowest)
All Star Party for Lucille Ball = #8
Stone Pillow = #9

When is Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, What Now, Catherine Curtis, and Lucy Moves to NBC going to be out by MPI? DO you think Lucy comes to Nashville will ever be released?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default 2nd airing much better

The second airing of Lucy Moves to NBC aired October 28, 1980 and was #20 (tied)! That's more like it. I cannot find oon Google News Archive the other airing, when was it? Did any other of Lucy's 70s specials get reran?

NEW TV SHOWS FALL SHORT IN NIELSENS
Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Nov 5, 1980

... blazing start in the ratings the A.C. Nielsen Co reported TuesdayLadies Man ... and MarriageEight Is EnoughFantasy IslandMASHReal PeopleThe World's Most Spectacu lar StuntmanThe Body Human Sexes IIFather Damien The Leper Priest the Lucille Ball special andThat's Incredible.

2 Sexually Oriented Films Propel CBS to Top Rating; TV RATINGS
$3.95 - New York Times - Nov 5, 1980
CBS defeated ABC by 1.5 ratings points, and NBC by 3 points. ... aec 13 21.1 Fantasy Island aec 14 21.1 MA'SH ces 15 20.8 Real People (P] [R]epeat [s]pedal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
The second airing of Lucy Moves to NBC aired October 28, 1980 and was #20 (tied)! That's more like it. I cannot find oon Google News Archive the other airing, when was it? Did any other of Lucy's 70s specials get reran?

NEW TV SHOWS FALL SHORT IN NIELSENS
Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Nov 5, 1980

... blazing start in the ratings the A.C. Nielsen Co reported TuesdayLadies Man ... and MarriageEight Is EnoughFantasy IslandMASHReal PeopleThe World's Most Spectacu lar StuntmanThe Body Human Sexes IIFather Damien The Leper Priest the Lucille Ball special andThat's Incredible.

2 Sexually Oriented Films Propel CBS to Top Rating; TV RATINGS
$3.95 - New York Times - Nov 5, 1980
CBS defeated ABC by 1.5 ratings points, and NBC by 3 points. ... aec 13 21.1 Fantasy Island aec 14 21.1 MA'SH ces 15 20.8 Real People (P] [R]epeat [s]pedal.

Oh wow, thanks for digging up that information. That's very interesting that the rerun of this special did so much better in the ratings than the original broadcast! I have a couple theories on why it did so poorly the first time around, then did so well on the second airing. I'm assuming that the original February 1980 broadcast was not promoted enough. As I mentioned before, NBC was doing horribly in the ratings at that time, with only four shows in the Top 30 during the '79-'80 season. So for most of the timeslots where NBC might have been running promos, nobody would have seen the promos in the first place because they weren't tuned into NBC to be able to see the promos! And Lucy Moves to NBC aired on a Friday night, which was dominated by CBS back then with The Incredible Hulk, The Dukes of Hazard and Dallas, and Fantasy Island on ABC. In fact, with a Family Circus cartoon special as the lead in, Lucy Moves to NBC didn't come on until 8:30, a half hour after The Incredible Hulk (on CBS) and Fantasy Island (on ABC) began. So unless they were really lousy episodes of The Incredible Hulk and Fantasy Island, most people watching it wouldn't change channels in the middle.

When it was rebroadcast in October of that year, there was a writers strike going on that affected almost all of television. Every TV show that had writers (in other words, practically everything but news and sports) was out of production for several months as this strike went on. There wasn't much of anything on the air in primetime that was fresh. So a Lucy special that nobody had seen the previous February would have been about the freshest option to watch when it was rebroadcast in October.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default

Bad' rocks into Nielsen top 10
[FINAL Edition]

USA TODAY (pre-1997 Fulltext) - McLean, Va.
Author: Karen Ridgeway
Date: Sep 11, 1987
Start Page: 03.D
Section: LIFE
Text Word Count: 388

Abstract (Document Summary)
ABC's Making of a Male Model was the lowest of the three Sunday movie offerings at No. 49. But its competition didn't score high, either: NBC's Dirty Dozen: The Last Mission, starring the late Lee Marvin, was No. 40; CBS' Stone Pillow, with Lucille Ball as a New York bag lady, was No. 38.

Looks like Saturday nights are horrible for ratings. No wonder Life With Lucy had no chance. I thought it was interesting the Stone Pillow movie was rerun and won its slot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
Bad' rocks into Nielsen top 10
[FINAL Edition]

USA TODAY (pre-1997 Fulltext) - McLean, Va.
Author: Karen Ridgeway
Date: Sep 11, 1987
Start Page: 03.D
Section: LIFE
Text Word Count: 388

Abstract (Document Summary)
ABC's Making of a Male Model was the lowest of the three Sunday movie offerings at No. 49. But its competition didn't score high, either: NBC's Dirty Dozen: The Last Mission, starring the late Lee Marvin, was No. 40; CBS' Stone Pillow, with Lucille Ball as a New York bag lady, was No. 38.

Looks like Saturday nights are horrible for ratings. No wonder Life With Lucy had no chance. I thought it was interesting the Stone Pillow movie was rerun and won its slot.

Actually, all three of those movies were reruns. I wonder what was going on that night that all three networks would put on movie reruns?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #22
Benno123
Senior Member
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!
 
Benno123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
Bad' rocks into Nielsen top 10
[FINAL Edition]

USA TODAY (pre-1997 Fulltext) - McLean, Va.
Author: Karen Ridgeway
Date: Sep 11, 1987
Start Page: 03.D
Section: LIFE
Text Word Count: 388

Abstract (Document Summary)
ABC's Making of a Male Model was the lowest of the three Sunday movie offerings at No. 49. But its competition didn't score high, either: NBC's Dirty Dozen: The Last Mission, starring the late Lee Marvin, was No. 40; CBS' Stone Pillow, with Lucille Ball as a New York bag lady, was No. 38.

Looks like Saturday nights are horrible for ratings. No wonder Life With Lucy had no chance. I thought it was interesting the Stone Pillow movie was rerun and won its slot.

I wouldn't say in the 1980s that Saturdays were horrible for ratings. The Golden Girls aired on Saturdays and did fairly well for NBC on Saturday nights, back in the day when TV on Saturday night was worth watching.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
McGillicuddy
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2002
Posts: 5,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
I wouldn't say in the 1980s that Saturdays were horrible for ratings. The Golden Girls aired on Saturdays and did fairly well for NBC on Saturday nights, back in the day when TV on Saturday night was worth watching.
Yeah, that was before cable TV had scripted television, plus before dvds, the internet etc. etc. And the '70's has the memorable classic Saturday night Line-up of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett! Times just have changed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
Benno123
Senior Member
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!
 
Benno123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markway895
Yeah, that was before cable TV had scripted television, plus before dvds, the internet etc. etc. And the '70's has the memorable classic Saturday night Line-up of Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett! Times just have changed.

To this day my parents still talk about Saturday nights in the 1970s when CBS had its line-up of:
1) All In The Family
2) M*A*S*H
3) Mary Tyler Moore
4) Bob Newhart
5) Carol Burnett

Yes, times have changed .... a lot!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default Lucy #1 again

Lucy got #1 again but nowadays with so much shows with what a lower rating of 1.4

TV Ratings: CBS' 'I Love Lucy' Christmas Special Leads Friday

CBS special colorized broadcast of the I Love Lucy Christmas special kicked off the evening with the top showing among adults 18-49. The one-hour episode of the classic comedy averaged a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49. Hawaii Five-0 (1.2 adults) held the previous week's score, and Blue Bloods (1.1 adults) dropped a tenth. CBS topped the night with total viewers (9.4 million) and shared a demo victory with ABC (1.2 adults)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
rjt100
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2006
Location: Elmsford, New York
Posts: 85
Default Lucy Comes To Nashville

was not a Lucille Ball Special. It was not produced by Lucille Ball Productions. CBS just stuck her name to it hoping to get viewers. It aired opposite ABC's War & Remembrance which got huge ratings. However, since it was not a Lucy special, it didn't do too badly. It received a 20.2 rating and 28% share of audience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #27
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default

Sunday December 7, 2014
CBS' "I Love Lucy" special averaged 9.36 million viewers for second and a 1.4 key demo rating in fourth.

Wednesday December 24, 2014
On CBS, I Love Lucy Christmas Special scored a 0..7 adults 18-49 rating, even with last year's Christmas day telecast.
This was second for the night with 3.58 million viewers
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.