Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery


Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director
 
Pavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 17, 2000
Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Posts: 26,233
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default SitcomsOnline Digital Digest: Lucy Calls the President (4/6/10) DVD Review

See our review for Lucy Calls the President by Skees53:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...ident-dvd.html
__________________
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog -- The best news out there!
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Benno123
Senior Member
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!
 
Benno123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan
See our review for Lucy Calls the President by Skees53:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...ident-dvd.html

Excellent, excellent review! I have this preordered and can't wait to see it, though I'm holding off until the week after it arrives because that is my birthday and I want to watch it then. Great to hear the quality is excellent, no more of the old, faded, generational-loss dubs of this special.

One question that I have is about the comment about the show being on tape. I believe Lucy's final series, Life With Lucy, was also shot on videotape or was it filmed? Just curious for my own knowledge.

I agree with Skees53, "Lucy Calls The President" is probably the best of Lucy's post-series specials. Though "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye" is also very enjoyable. These two, along with her 1964 "Mr. and Mrs." special are some of my favorite non-series work that Lucille Ball ever did.

Here's wishin' April 6 would hurry up and get here!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
skees53
Forum Regular
Reviewer/Digital Digest Blogger
 
Join Date: May 27, 2000
Posts: 947
Send a message via AIM to skees53
Default

You may be correct about Life With Lucy... I've only seen the show once and it has been over 10 years. James Brodhead mentioned in his interview that it was the only Lucy project done on tape, although it is possible that he could be wrong about that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like "Mr. and Mrs." is going to be included in the releases from MPI (as they appear to be doing just the 70s ones produced by Lucille Ball Productions), but maybe it'll be part of a future release of The Lucy Show. But that is pure conjecture, I don't know for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
Excellent, excellent review! I have this preordered and can't wait to see it, though I'm holding off until the week after it arrives because that is my birthday and I want to watch it then. Great to hear the quality is excellent, no more of the old, faded, generational-loss dubs of this special.

One question that I have is about the comment about the show being on tape. I believe Lucy's final series, Life With Lucy, was also shot on videotape or was it filmed? Just curious for my own knowledge.

I agree with Skees53, "Lucy Calls The President" is probably the best of Lucy's post-series specials. Though "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye" is also very enjoyable. These two, along with her 1964 "Mr. and Mrs." special are some of my favorite non-series work that Lucille Ball ever did.

Here's wishin' April 6 would hurry up and get here!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skees53
You may be correct about Life With Lucy... I've only seen the show once and it has been over 10 years. James Brodhead mentioned in his interview that it was the only Lucy project done on tape, although it is possible that he could be wrong about that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like "Mr. and Mrs." is going to be included in the releases from MPI (as they appear to be doing just the 70s ones produced by Lucille Ball Productions), but maybe it'll be part of a future release of The Lucy Show. But that is pure conjecture, I don't know for certain.
life with lucy was shot on film
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
skees53
Forum Regular
Reviewer/Digital Digest Blogger
 
Join Date: May 27, 2000
Posts: 947
Send a message via AIM to skees53
Default

Thanks, I thought it was but I wasn't totally sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Benno123
Senior Member
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!
 
Benno123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123
Default

Thank you as well. I wasn't sure if LWL was taped or filmed, and I was too lazy to dig out the DVDs and take a look at the credits!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skees53
Thanks, I thought it was but I wasn't totally sure.
your welcome
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skees53
Thanks, I thought it was but I wasn't totally sure.
your welcome
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
70s show watcher
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
Thank you as well. I wasn't sure if LWL was taped or filmed, and I was too lazy to dig out the DVDs and take a look at the credits!!!
your welcome as well
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default Lucy's Best Special

I agree that Lucy Calls the President is the best of her TV specials. I find it very great how the cast works together and all get great moments to shine. I hope Mr. and Mrs. (The VCR ate my copy which also had Happy Anniversary and Goodbye.), Lucy in London and Lucy Comes to Nashville will be released because they are not by MPI. I love country music and never saw Lucy in Nashville (Wasn't it produced by Lucille Ball Productions? Probably too many royalities drive up cost on this release but its cross appeal should sell it. I don't think this was a planned CBS special because Lucy Calls the President was supposed to be the last. Why did CBS get sick of Lucy and let her leave to NBC and later ABC. What a dumb mistake, though Stone Pillow aired on CBS.) I have Lucy in London. I like most of ti but the dumb wax museum and especially dumb Shakespeare scenes. I found Mr. and Mrs. good but choppy and I love Happy Anniversary and Goodbye. (This was so modern and I love how Lucy mixed comedy with drama though the critics (Who after the Lucy Show I don't think generally gave her raves.) didn't.) I went on Google newspaper and got from their the ratings for some of Lucy's specials and Lucy Calls the President was #12. (Three for Two was #8, Catherine Curits #16, CBS Salutes Lucy #2, Stone Pillow #9, the rest ?) So, us, her fans and the public, still loved Lucy in 1977, which was in the middle of a 1950s nostaglia craze.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
I agree that Lucy Calls the President is the best of her TV specials. I find it very great how the cast works together and all get great moments to shine. I hope Mr. and Mrs. (The VCR ate my copy which also had Happy Anniversary and Goodbye.), Lucy in London and Lucy Comes to Nashville will be released because they are not by MPI. I love country music and never saw Lucy in Nashville (Wasn't it produced by Lucille Ball Productions? Probably too many royalities drive up cost on this release but its cross appeal should sell it. I don't think this was a planned CBS special because Lucy Calls the President was supposed to be the last. Why did CBS get sick of Lucy and let her leave to NBC and later ABC. What a dumb mistake, though Stone Pillow aired on CBS.) I have Lucy in London. I like most of ti but the dumb wax museum and especially dumb Shakespeare scenes. I found Mr. and Mrs. good but choppy and I love Happy Anniversary and Goodbye. (This was so modern and I love how Lucy mixed comedy with drama though the critics (Who after the Lucy Show I don't think generally gave her raves.) didn't.) I went on Google newspaper and got from their the ratings for some of Lucy's specials and Lucy Calls the President was #12. (Three for Two was #8, Catherine Curits #16, CBS Salutes Lucy #2, Stone Pillow #9, the rest ?) So, us, her fans and the public, still loved Lucy in 1977, which was in the middle of a 1950s nostaglia craze.

Thanks for looking up the ratings for all those specials. I remember Stone Pillow being #9, but I never knew where any of those specials placed. As for the Lucy in London, the wax museum and Shakespeare scenes were my two favorites in that special.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
nvtlover
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 32
Default

I found the following two ratings
Lucy in London = #1
Lucy Moves to NBC = #52 (out of 68 programs. It was against #2 The Dukes of Hazzards.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
McGillicuddy
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2002
Posts: 5,092
Default

Don't you think Lucy in London will be an "extra" on Season 5 of The Lucy Show? It would make sense since there is an episode of TLS, Lucy Flies to London, which was the lead in to the LIL special, and considering that the Lucille Ball Comedy Hour special was included on the Season 2 release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtlover
I found the following two ratings
Lucy in London = #1
Lucy Moves to NBC = #52 (out of 68 programs. It was against #2 The Dukes of Hazzards.)

Which broadcast of Lucy Moves to NBC did you look up? NBC actually aired that special three times (!!!) that season. If I remember correctly the first airing was in February 1980. Then it aired again later in the spring or summer of 1980. Then it aired a third time in October 1980. I don't think NBC would have aired it three times if it did that poorly during the initial broadcast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
LittleRickyII
Senior Member
Member
 
LittleRickyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 22, 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Which broadcast of Lucy Moves to NBC did you look up? NBC actually aired that special three times (!!!) that season. If I remember correctly the first airing was in February 1980. Then it aired again later in the spring or summer of 1980. Then it aired a third time in October 1980. I don't think NBC would have aired it three times if it did that poorly during the initial broadcast.

Oh wow, I just found it. That WAS the first broadcast that wound up in 52nd place!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+ratings&hl=en

I wonder why NBC ran this special two more times after that weak showing the first time around?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.