Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Diff'rent Strokes Online / Diff'rent Strokes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Dana Plato Yahoo Group / Diff'rent Strokes Photo Gallery

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Diff'rent Strokes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default Todd Bridges Book Reveals Affair with Dana Plato & How She Introduced Him to Drugs

Bridges claims Plato - who died from a prescription drug overdose in 1999 - introduced him to drugs, which led to his long battle with cocaine and crystal meth addiction.

However, the actor - who has been sober for 17 years - insists he has taken responsibility for his actions. He writes in the prologue, "Seriously, I would not change a single thing about my life."

Explaining why he's writing the book, he adds, "I really wanted to tell what really happened... They always want to make me blame Hollywood. That's just not the truth. You know how they say Hollywood throws childhood stars away? That wasn't true in my case."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....out_troubled_c

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I put a request in for this book at the library - it sounds fascinating.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
OOliver
Forum Regular

I just finished this book (took one day to read), which I borrowed from my library. Not an interesting book in any respect.

Sorry folks, but Bridges comes off as the professional victim - everyone was out to get him from 'day one' (starting with his father). Though at the end he says he takes responsibilities for most of his poor decisions, he really doesn't get that message across in the book - it's just the opposite. Everyone (from his dad, to Coleman, to the LAPD) was 'out to get him', and he plays the victim rather well. Some of his 'memories' don't add up, which makes me question the validity of his statements.

It's too bad, because I have always liked Bridges. I really was interested in his life story, and was looking forward to this book. I liked him the best on DS, and always thought he was one of the most talented child actors of my childhood (he's just a couple of years younger than I). I've often wondered how far his career would have gone if he made some better decisions....but we'll never know since everyone conspired against him (so he says).
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Larenz09
Forum Regular
Gary Coleman, we'll miss you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
I just finished this book (took one day to read), which I borrowed from my library. Not an interesting book in any respect.

Sorry folks, but Bridges comes off as the professional victim - everyone was out to get him from 'day one' (starting with his father). Though at the end he says he takes responsibilities for most of his poor decisions, he really doesn't get that message across in the book - it's just the opposite. Everyone (from his dad, to Coleman, to the LAPD) was 'out to get him', and he plays the victim rather well. Some of his 'memories' don't add up, which makes me question the validity of his statements.

It's too bad, because I have always liked Bridges. I really was interested in his life story, and was looking forward to this book. I liked him the best on DS, and always thought he was one of the most talented child actors of my childhood (he's just a couple of years younger than I). I've often wondered how far his career would have gone if he made some better decisions....but we'll never know since everyone conspired against him (so he says).

People are supposed to be able to forgive and forget, so they say.

I didn't really condone what Todd did in the past.

But since he has decided to clean himself up, get off drugs, turn his life around and began trying to help others do the same, I congratulate and condone him wholeheartedly for sharing his past experiences with others and for him trying to help others to stay away from the very controversial lifestyle that HE once lived.

R.I.P..

Last edited by Larenz09 : 08-22-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larenz09
People are supposed to be able to forgive and forget, as they say.

I didn't really condone what Todd did in the past.

But since he has decided to clean himself up, get off drugs, turn his life around and began trying to help others do the same, I congratulate and condone him wholeheartedly for sharing his past experiences with others and for him trying to help others to stay away from the very controversial lifestyle that HE once lived.
That's pretty much how I feel. I just hope he can continue with it. He's the only one of the main kids left.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
That's pretty much how I feel. I just hope he can continue with it. He's the only one of the main kids left.

There is still the one who played Danny, or whatever the character name was after Mr Drummond got married.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
There is still the one who played Danny, or whatever the character name was after Mr Drummond got married.
Yea but that's when the show jumped the shark. lol I know and Dudley, Robbie and Lisa are still around.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
Yea but that's when the show jumped the shark. lol I know and Dudley, Robbie and Lisa are still around.

Yes they are. Forgot about them.

Shavar (Dudley) Ross has his own production co, has a son and daughter, is married and is doing well. He also became a priest or minister at one time. HE ALSO, began appearing on Strokes when HE was a little boy as well.

He later went on to to do guest appearances in such sitcoms as Amen, Fresh Prince of BelAire and others. He also appeared in one of the Friday the 13th sequels - the 5th one.

He was later asked by the producers to do another sequel to the film in which his character was going to be killed off, but he respectfully decined it. I'm so glad that he chose not to do it, because I didn't want to see him get "killed" off!

Miraculously, he was able to successfully avoid the pitfalls, trials and tribulations that Dana, Todd and Gary went through with their turbulent lives. I commend HIM as well and wish him continued success in what he does!!

Last edited by Larenz09 : 11-13-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Here are some pics of Shavar Ross, some of them are from when he was a little boy. The first one is of Shawn Harrison, who looks almost like his son, Seven.
Attached Images

Last edited by Larenz09 : 11-13-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Some more.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I guess I'd respect Bridges more if he hadn't included all that stuff about Plato.

I am totally against levelling charges against dead people, since they are no longer around to give their side of the story. It's indecent and unfair. And as others have said, it smacks of abrogating his own responsibility for what happened in his life.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
I guess I'd respect Bridges more if he hadn't included all that stuff about Plato.

I am totally against levelling charges against dead people, since they are no longer around to give their side of the story. It's indecent and unfair. And as others have said, it smacks of abrogating his own responsibility for what happened in his life.
I can understand that. I like Dana. I always have. She was messed up though. All 3 of them were. If it happened then it happened. It doesn't really make me think less of her. I haven't read the book or anything so I don't know how hard he came down on her but if he's just being honest then I have no problem with it. If he's really going after her then I would. I think Dana's life was a real tagedy. DS gave a lot of happy moments to so many people. It's just too bad that the kids on that show didn't share that many.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
DSfan

Quote:
Here are some pics of Shavar Ross. The first one is of his son, Seven.

That first picture looks exactly like Shawn Harrison (Waldo on Family Matters)!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSfan
It really does. They could be twins. And Shavar did co-star with Shawn on Family Matters for a time too.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
Larenz09
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSfan

Sorry, my bad.

It IS Shawn Harrison. He DOES in some way, look like Ross's son, Seven.

I just Googled his name and found that same pic there. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Larenz09 : 11-13-2010 at 03:00 PM.