Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Rhoda links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Rhoda Photo Gallery

Rhoda - Season One

Buy Rhoda - Season One on DVD
Rhoda - Season Two

Buy Rhoda - Season Two on DVD
Rhoda - Season Three

Buy Rhoda - Season Three on DVD
Rhoda - Season Four

Buy Rhoda - Season Four on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Rhoda
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ION Television Expands Hours in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of December 22, 2014)
FXX to Launch New Late Night Animation Block; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Star to Host Fox Show
Bounce Acquires Sitcoms for January 2015, Roc, Different World, Parent 'Hood, Hughleys; ABC Family Picks Up New Drama Recovery Road
Nick at Nite Adds Everybody Loves Raymond January 1; George Lopez Hosts CW Dog Show
NBC Midseason 2015 Schedule with One Big Happy, Undateable, etc; FX Orders Donald Glover Pilot
Week 12 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Must See TV on NBC Officially Dead; Enlisted and Back in the Game on MOD DVD

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - The Exes - Seasons 1 & 2
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/06 - Kenan & Kel - The Best of Seasons 3 & 4
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dharma & Greg - The Complete Season 2
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Broad City - Season 1
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/02 - The Simpsons - The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - Family Guy - Volume 13
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
OOliver
Forum Regular

Default "Rhoda" theme song really "The Yama Yama Man"?

On youtube, someone wrote that the theme music for Rhoda is actually "The Yama Yama Man" from 1908 - only without the lyrics. The music was written by Karl L. Hoschna. The writer also pointed out that on the TV show, they only give credit to Billy Goldenberg, who was born in 1936...some 28 years after this song was written.

On youtube you can see Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers performing this song from 1939's "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle". Pretty fascinating find!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
On youtube, someone wrote that the theme music for Rhoda is actually "The Yama Yama Man" from 1908 - only without the lyrics. The music was written by Karl L. Hoschna. The writer also pointed out that on the TV show, they only give credit to Billy Goldenberg, who was born in 1936...some 28 years after this song was written.

On youtube you can see Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers performing this song from 1939's "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle". Pretty fascinating find!

Small world here, I wrote that. Actually, someone else had pointed out somewhere before me that it sounded like the same tune. I looked into it and then checked out the credits for Rhoda and noticed they gave all the credit to Goldenburg. I believe someone owes the Hoschna family some royalties! But that's just my opinion. What do you think, Oliver?

It's funny you posted this tonight because I was just thinking about that song about an hour ago. Very weird; feels like the Twilight Zone. Here's the link so others can hear the song and offer their opinions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YdSRmGGT50
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
OOliver
Forum Regular

YOU'RE the mystery man with all the knowledge! I spent most of the night on google trying to find some kind of available CD of the music (I heard a long recording of this about five years ago in the Times Square HoJo - read my other post!) and just found Mp3 downloads, which doesn't help me. Most of the renditions are New Orleans jazz productions, as well.

If you have any info on any CDs I can get (without the 'NO jazz' renditions) let me know! A big thank you to you for giving that info at youtube - it seems like a 30 year "cold case" has been solved!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
LittleRickyII

Wow, one day after this topic comes up here, that Ginger Rogers link on Youtube vanishes. Did we tip someone off? That clip had been up a couple years. It seems very bizarre that it's gone just like that. Well, for those who didn't get a chance to hear the song, here's another link:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...a%20Man&page=1

Here you can listen to a number of different versions. And here's another, one of the original recordings:

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=...Yama+Man+(1909)

This one is is from 1909. As it's 101 years old, the audio quality isn't great. But you get a good enough idea, at least.

Quote:
YOU'RE the mystery man with all the knowledge!

Well, I've got to give credit where credit's due. I actually had not been aware of this song until I saw this link:

http://www.mobilemastee.com/desi_vid...n-1-Theme.html

That person "bearcub" (his name, not mine ), with his July 11 comment -- that's the first I had ever heard about this song and its Rhoda connection. I was intrigued when I read his comment and immediately went to Youtube and tracked down that Ginger Rogers clip, now gone (:. And, of course, Wikipedia to find out the history of the song. Even more intrigued after hearing it and reading about it, I had to check the end credits of Rhoda to see if they gave Hoschna credit for the music, and as we know, the answer is no.

Quote:
I spent most of the night on google trying to find some kind of available CD of the music (I heard a long recording of this about five years ago in the Times Square HoJo - read my other post!) and just found Mp3 downloads, which doesn't help me. Most of the renditions are New Orleans jazz productions, as well.

If you have any info on any CDs I can get (without the 'NO jazz' renditions) let me know! A big thank you to you for giving that info at youtube - it seems like a 30 year "cold case" has been solved!

I'm not sure what you mean about a "no jazz" rendition. Are you saying you want to hear something that isn't a jazz version? If so, that's pretty much all I've been able to track down myself (other than the 1909 version above with the surface noise). I've looked at cduniverse.com and cdnow.com, and the only versions that were available to listen to, that I could find, were pretty much jazz. But check that Amazon link. I think all of these are sort of jazzy, but some less so than others (like the Studio Group and Danny Welton versions). Here it is again:

Click on "preview all songs" and you can hear snippets of each of these versions consecutively.

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 03-12-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
ClassicTVGal
Federal Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Wow, one day after this topic comes up here, that Ginger Rogers link on Youtube vanishes. Did we tip someone off? That clip had been up a couple years. It seems very bizarre that it's gone just like that.

How freakin' weird!!

Oh, btw, I tried that song link and it doesn't seem to work.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicTVGal
How freakin' weird!!

Oh, btw, I tried that song link and it doesn't seem to work.

Did you try this one to hear the song?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
snowpeck
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to snowpeck Send a message via Yahoo to snowpeck

There's some slight resemblance at the beginning of the chorus, but that's it. Certainly not the same song.

Greg
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpeck
There's some slight resemblance at the beginning of the chorus, but that's it. Certainly not the same song.

Greg

I'm not saying it's the same song, but it definitely sounds like the main portions of the theme were heavily influenced by Yama Yama Man, in the same way that Eric Carmen's only two big hits were influenced (ripped off of) works of Rachmaninoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJBlkL8_noA

Carmen mistakenly believed those pieces were too old for there to be a copyright and that he was safe using them, but he wound up being sued by the family and, ever since, the Rachmaninoff family has been receiving royalties from Eric Carmen recordings. Hoschna died at age 34 in 1911. I haven't seen any information that he had any descendants, so I don't know if a copyright for his work was maintained as late as the 1970s whereby Goldenburg could have been sued. But if the George Harrison could be sued (and he was) for his song My Sweet Lord by the composer of The Chiffon's He's So Fine, which isn't that similar, I personally could see how Goldenburg could have been sued for the Rhoda theme, if there had been anyone alive with standing to do that.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
OOliver
Forum Regular

I agree with you LittleRickyII.