Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Dick Van Dyke Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Dick Van Dyke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Dick Van Dyke Show Photo Gallery

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season One

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season One on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Two

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Two on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Three

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Three on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Four

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Four on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Five

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - Season Five on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series (DVD)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series on Blu-ray
The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete First Season on Blu-ray
The Dick Van Dyke Show - 50th Anniversary Edition - Fan Favorites

Buy The Dick Van Dyke Show - 50th Anniversary Edition - Fan Favorites on DVD
The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book (Revised and Updated Edition)

Buy The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book (Revised and Updated Edition)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Dick Van Dyke Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Steve Coogan Tapped for Happyish Pilot for Showtime; Lifetime's Lizzie Borden Movie Turning Into Limited Series
CBS to Launch Decades, A New Digital Subchannel; The CW Orders Full Seasons of The Flash, Jane the Virgin
COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs
Friends Coming to Netflix in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 20, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
McGillicuddy

I never knew why Dick left The Carol Burnett Show. I remember reading somewhere that The New Dick Van Dyke Show was filmed in Arizona, at least the first 2 seasons.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
JudgeGarth
Forum Regular

I don't know why he joined it in the first place. It's tough going from a top banana to a supporting player.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeGarth
I don't know why he joined it in the first place. It's tough going from a top banana to a supporting player.

Well, there's the press reason and there's the real reason. Dick Van Dyke already had the experience of commuting from Arizona to Los Angeles for a TV show when production of The New Dick Van Dyke Show moved to Los Angeles in 1973. I think Van Dyke and Company was produced there as well. So that commuting excuse is kind of bogus. The fact is Harvey Korman had left The Carol Burnett Show and Dick Van Dyke was brought on in his place. It simply didn't work; the right chemistry wasn't there. And the show was suddenly and quickly sinking in the ratings after years as a major hit. Van Dyke abruptly left, but the show continued to sink in the ratings and Carol herself quit at the end of that season. Here's a little more on the subject:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+ratings&hl=en

I guess Van Dyke just needed some more time, and another stumble or two, before Diagnosis: Murder fell in his lap.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
hume
Frequent Poster

Just came back from the bookstore where I picked up a copy of Carol Burnett's book, "This Time Together." There is no index in the back of the book, so I couldn't look up Dick Van Dyke's name. The only mention I could find of Dick was in the one chapter describing the last season of "The Carol Burnett Show" and how she felt it was best to leave the party before the host shut the lights. Incorrectly, she says that the show replaced Harvey Korman with a series of guest stars (Dick, Ken Berry, Steve Lawrence, James Garner). Actually, Dick had co-star status to begin with; the show alternated between Berry and Lawrence for the remainder of the season.

I sure hope that Dick will clarify what happened with The Carol Burnett Show in his autobiography, due soon. There was an interview done with Dick that can be viewed only at a museum of television in Manhattan, and I distinctly remember that interview, when asked about the debacle at the Carol Burnett Show, Dick says the fault was with both the producers and with himself, that he should never have joined the cast in the first place.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

I loved The Carol Burnett Show but the problem was two-fold with Van Dyke: First, Burnett had been on the air for eleven years and the show was winding down, as any show that has been on that long usually does. Korman's departure was a devastating blow and no one really could take his place. So, Van Dyke was brought in when the show was on its last legs anyway. Maybe they hoped Dick would spark life into it? But it was ready to bow by that time.

Second, You really can never bring another major star onto someone's else show. Van Dyke was a major star and he was brought in to play second banana to Burnett. It was almost like a "demotion" for him, I think.

I also thought I read that it was about this time that Van Dyke was battling alcoholism or about to get over it. This probably wasn't a good time to commit to a series for him.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Dick goes into the Carol Burnett situation a bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoDLcSzy4dQ

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

The show was just never the same after Harvey left. As great of a comedian as DVD is, he just didn't fit in.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I know this is a bad example, but it's like Charlotte Rae leaving FOL and Cloris Leachman, a terrific actress/comedienne in her own right, taking over. That's another show that was past its prime when the cast change took place. So, yeah, I can see what you mean.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
PJudith
Frequent Poster

I read Dick van Dyke's new book and he mentions doing the Carol Burnett Show. He basically admits that it just didn't work out and he wasn't right for the show.

The Burnett Show did sketch comedy with quirky characters. No one could do those characters better than Harvey Korman. imho Dick an Dyke was more of a leading man type. On his sitcom the other characters were the quirky ones and Rob Petrie was the 'normal' one.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I think that replacements CAN work, as long as they are early enough so that the character they are replacing hasn't had a chance to get an indelible hold on the audience, and render anyone trying to replace them as "the outsider".

An exception is MASH, of course, where you had two beloved leads, Stevenson and Rogers, replaced by actors who successfully created their own popular characters. But even there, the two men that left had only been there for three seasons. When you get into the late stages of a show, it's hard to ever generate the kind of popularity that the original star did, because there's just not enough time to do so. I think that Monika's example of the Rae/Leachman thing falls under this category.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

What some people may not remember is that Tim Conway was not an original cast member. He became a regular in 1975 after Lyle Waggoner left.

But Conway was such a frequent guest star (and one who mixed in so well with the cast) that when he did come on board, it wasn't jarring. In fact, it seemed like he'd been there all along.

I don't remember Dick Van Dyke's tenure on the show, but he does come off as more of a "straight arrow" than the others and with Korman gone, that chemistry that existed between the group had been changed.

And Tim Conway lost his partner-in-crime. Those two were magic together.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

I have never seen "The New Dick Van Dyke Show". What I have read about it was that Dick was living in Arizona and did not want to leave for California, so the show went to him. The show was a moderate hit, but DVD lost interest and the producer Carl Reiner got mad at CBS for nixing a bedroom scene with DVD's character and wife. It seemed like a convenient excuse for everyone, including DVD to get out of the whole enterprise.

Like everyone said, probably DVD did not like or felt comfortable being a supporting player, and he was a much bigger star than Harvey Korman or Tim Conway, and was actually a star before Carol Burnett was (Carol did not break out until the mid 60's)

When they were casting the Mary Tyler Moore show, they wanted Jack Cassidy in the Ted Baxter role, and supposedly he refused it because he did not want to play second banana to a woman. Now Jack was somewhat of an egotistical a-hole, but I think it came down to was men of that generation did not want women bosses.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I'd be willing to bet that Jack Cassidy later regretted not taking the Ted Baxter role.

While Cassidy made several guest appearances on '70s TV shows, I think he was more known for being a Broadway star.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
Yong Fang
Forum Regular

From what I have read about Jack Cassidy in the past, he had an ego the size of Texas and his poop didn't stink. He was a star of some note, but not a huge star, and arguably his two sons eclipsed him, with David and Shaun (Shaun because the dude was on every teen magazine cover in my childhood, that guy was the face of the 1970's!) being the bigger stars.

Coupled with that, he was an alcoholic. Probably would have lasted on the show for a season or two and then written out. Maybe or maybe not.

Ted Knight was a better choice. Knight actually complained to the show several years in that the general public disliked his character and he wanted to change the character to be more lovable, to which they brought in Georgia Engel. Cassidy could have played jerwad because he was one in real life.