Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January
The Detour Back on TBS in January; I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas on CBS
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 13, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Louie (and Other Projects with Louis C.K.) Cancelled; CBS Colorizing More Dick Van Dyke Episodes; More Diff'rent Strokes DVDs
Fri-Yay: Bob's Burgers Tops Sunday Night on Fox; WGN America Gives Thanks with M*A*S*H and More!

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

Default Potsie and the Finale

Something I always wondered, anyone know why Potsie (Anson Williams) wasn't in the last episode of the Happy Days?

I know he wasn't in very many episodes that last season, but he was still a cast member, an original one at that dating back to the pilot that aired on Love, American Style so I always found it odd and sad that he wasn't in the last episode.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
caladon

I'm not sure where I read this; could have been here; but I remember reading that when asked why he wasn't in the final episode Anson Williams replied "Because I wasn't asked."
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Smartboy

I would think that, because of how good a friend Potsie was to the Fonz, the Fonz would have been insulted in Joanie and Chachi did not invite him.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
I'm not sure where I read this; could have been here; but I remember reading that when asked why he wasn't in the final episode Anson Williams replied "Because I wasn't asked."
I think that was in reference to Donny Most, not Anson Williams. It is very possible, though, that the same could be true for Williams.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

for me it is normal that lacked Potsie and Ralph in the final

I never felt that Joanie and Chachi were friends Potsie or Ralph. so that the center with their marriage ?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

i feel bad for both of them they was in the original happy days and deserved to be in the final it not the joanie chacie show its happy days
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Julius Cepeda
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi'88
for me it is normal that lacked Potsie and Ralph in the final

I never felt that Joanie and Chachi were friends Potsie or Ralph. so that the center with their marriage ?

Actually I always thought Joanie and Potsie had a special friendship because of the crush she had on him. In one of the best Happy Days episodes ever, she had a crush on Potsie. See season 3, episode #53- They Call It Potsie Love (12/2/75).

I think it was not fitting that Potsie and Ralph were not in the final episode, and this shows how far the writers and producers had lost touch with the original concept of the series.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Anson Williams quit midway through production of the final season. Happy Days' lag between production and airing of episodes was on the long side (the finale was filmed in November of '83) and episodes were broadcast way out of the order in which they were produced. Hence Potsie appeared throughout the final season, making his absence from the finale more apparent and mysterious at the time. Yes, I remember this very same subject as water cooler conversation in May, 1984.

Potsie would turn up again in first-run episodes later in the summer that were supposed to air prior to the finale, but ABC ran out of time prior to Sweeps week.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Thanks for all of the great info. This is another good case in favor of watching episodes in the production order rather than the original broadcast order. I know there are many who prefer the opposite, but sometimes production order viewing seems far preferable.

It also helps in an earlier season, so that we don't end up seeing the "old" Arnolds Drive-In in an episode originally aired after the place had burned down (held until later)!!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
Anson Williams quit midway through production of the final season. Happy Days' lag between production and airing of episodes was on the long side (the finale was filmed in November of '83) and episodes were broadcast way out of the order in which they were produced. Hence Potsie appeared throughout the final season, making his absence from the finale more apparent and mysterious at the time. Yes, I remember this very same subject as water cooler conversation in May, 1984.

Potsie would turn up again in first-run episodes later in the summer that were supposed to air prior to the finale, but ABC ran out of time prior to Sweeps week.

Thanks for the information! I didn't know Anson had left the show midway through the last season. Can't blame him, they didn't use him at all. It was a shame how they kept dumbing down Potsie year after after. They wrote him as dumb as Lenny and Squiggy yet he was in graduate school. And a shame that after all that time he leaves the show, an original cast member and they don't even acknowledge it or give him a farwell episode.

I remember those last few first run episodes being aired during the summer of '84. I know one of them was the episode where Chachi has diabetis.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

[quote=biffbronson]Thanks for all of the great info. This is another good case in favor of watching episodes in the production order rather than the original broadcast order. I know there are many who prefer the opposite, but sometimes production order viewing seems far preferable.
[quote]

I agree. Production order is the way I prefer to see them. Since, for the most part, that is usually the way they were intended to be seen! (with some exceptions here in there, usually to to an actor's schedule, etc.)

Networks usually air the episodes featuring a big event/guest star/etc. during sweeps weeks, it has no bearing on how episodes were intended to be viewed. (The original Star Trek series was also aired greatly out of order--the second pilot with different costumes, actors and sets aired as the third episode!) Sadly, with many DVD releases,they put them in airdate order, but syndication generally shows them in production order. (Also, since many of us watched these shows for the first time in syndication--the original airdate order has little meaning!)

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Victory Shal Be Mine!"~~Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I think it would have been very appropriate to have Potsie sing a solo at Joannie and Chachi's wedding like he did at Ritchie and Loribeth's wedding. It's disappointing that it never happened.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
cleverfun3000