Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

Default Potsie and the Finale

Something I always wondered, anyone know why Potsie (Anson Williams) wasn't in the last episode of the Happy Days?

I know he wasn't in very many episodes that last season, but he was still a cast member, an original one at that dating back to the pilot that aired on Love, American Style so I always found it odd and sad that he wasn't in the last episode.
ILUVO&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
caladon

I'm not sure where I read this; could have been here; but I remember reading that when asked why he wasn't in the final episode Anson Williams replied "Because I wasn't asked."
caladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Smartboy

I would think that, because of how good a friend Potsie was to the Fonz, the Fonz would have been insulted in Joanie and Chachi did not invite him.
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caladon
I'm not sure where I read this; could have been here; but I remember reading that when asked why he wasn't in the final episode Anson Williams replied "Because I wasn't asked."
I think that was in reference to Donny Most, not Anson Williams. It is very possible, though, that the same could be true for Williams.
anglemark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

for me it is normal that lacked Potsie and Ralph in the final

I never felt that Joanie and Chachi were friends Potsie or Ralph. so that the center with their marriage ?
Chachi'88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

i feel bad for both of them they was in the original happy days and deserved to be in the final it not the joanie chacie show its happy days
Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Julius Cepeda
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi'88
for me it is normal that lacked Potsie and Ralph in the final

I never felt that Joanie and Chachi were friends Potsie or Ralph. so that the center with their marriage ?
Actually I always thought Joanie and Potsie had a special friendship because of the crush she had on him. In one of the best Happy Days episodes ever, she had a crush on Potsie. See season 3, episode #53- They Call It Potsie Love (12/2/75).

I think it was not fitting that Potsie and Ralph were not in the final episode, and this shows how far the writers and producers had lost touch with the original concept of the series.
Julius Cepeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

Anson Williams quit midway through production of the final season. Happy Days' lag between production and airing of episodes was on the long side (the finale was filmed in November of '83) and episodes were broadcast way out of the order in which they were produced. Hence Potsie appeared throughout the final season, making his absence from the finale more apparent and mysterious at the time. Yes, I remember this very same subject as water cooler conversation in May, 1984.

Potsie would turn up again in first-run episodes later in the summer that were supposed to air prior to the finale, but ABC ran out of time prior to Sweeps week.
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Thanks for all of the great info. This is another good case in favor of watching episodes in the production order rather than the original broadcast order. I know there are many who prefer the opposite, but sometimes production order viewing seems far preferable.

It also helps in an earlier season, so that we don't end up seeing the "old" Arnolds Drive-In in an episode originally aired after the place had burned down (held until later)!!
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
ILUVO&H
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDRyan
Anson Williams quit midway through production of the final season. Happy Days' lag between production and airing of episodes was on the long side (the finale was filmed in November of '83) and episodes were broadcast way out of the order in which they were produced. Hence Potsie appeared throughout the final season, making his absence from the finale more apparent and mysterious at the time. Yes, I remember this very same subject as water cooler conversation in May, 1984.

Potsie would turn up again in first-run episodes later in the summer that were supposed to air prior to the finale, but ABC ran out of time prior to Sweeps week.
Thanks for the information! I didn't know Anson had left the show midway through the last season. Can't blame him, they didn't use him at all. It was a shame how they kept dumbing down Potsie year after after. They wrote him as dumb as Lenny and Squiggy yet he was in graduate school. And a shame that after all that time he leaves the show, an original cast member and they don't even acknowledge it or give him a farwell episode.

I remember those last few first run episodes being aired during the summer of '84. I know one of them was the episode where Chachi has diabetis.
ILUVO&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
tmac81s
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=biffbronson]Thanks for all of the great info. This is another good case in favor of watching episodes in the production order rather than the original broadcast order. I know there are many who prefer the opposite, but sometimes production order viewing seems far preferable.
[QUOTE]

I agree. Production order is the way I prefer to see them. Since, for the most part, that is usually the way they were intended to be seen! (with some exceptions here in there, usually to to an actor's schedule, etc.)

Networks usually air the episodes featuring a big event/guest star/etc. during sweeps weeks, it has no bearing on how episodes were intended to be viewed. (The original Star Trek series was also aired greatly out of order--the second pilot with different costumes, actors and sets aired as the third episode!) Sadly, with many DVD releases,they put them in airdate order, but syndication generally shows them in production order. (Also, since many of us watched these shows for the first time in syndication--the original airdate order has little meaning!)

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Well how the hell should I know?”~~Thelma Harper, “Mama’s Family”/“Carol Burnett Show”
tmac81s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I think it would have been very appropriate to have Potsie sing a solo at Joannie and Chachi's wedding like he did at Ritchie and Loribeth's wedding. It's disappointing that it never happened.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
cleverfun3000

cleverfun3000 is offline   Reply With Quote