Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Exclamation John Ratzenberger Campaigning NBC for a Cheers Reunion

THAT famous bar where everybody knows your name could soon be open for business again.

The cast of the hit American television show Cheers are pitching for a reunion series.

The comedy, which notched up 270 episodes between 1982 and 1993, made household names of Ted Danson, Kelsey Grammer, Kirstie Alley, Shelley Long and Woody Harrelson.

For another series the cast would need the go-ahead from NBC, the American network behind the much-loved programme which was broadcast by Channel 4 in Britain.

The main push for a reunion run comes from regular cast member John Ratzenberger, 62, who played Cliff Clavin, the postman who was famed for his know-it-all attitude. His character could always be found sitting next to his drinking partner and best friend Norm, played by George Wendt.

In London to promote the DVD of Up, the animated film for which he provides voices, John said: “I know for a fact that every single cast member would love to revisit it.”

He said it was still not clear whether NBC executives were behind the idea. But he added: “It’s up to the network. I know the cast members will do it.”

Asked whether scripts for a new series existed, he said: “I don’t know about scripts but how they take it forward would be up to the creators, James Burrows, Glen Charles and Les Charles. It would be their decision. Then we could get a script together.

“It would be a great thing to do. It was a terrific time in all of our lives. We just sat around in a bar cracking jokes for 11 years – and we got paid.”

Unlike the casts of many other long-running series, John said all the regulars had all rubbed along famously.

“Don’t forget, it was set in a bar,” he said. “It’s not like it’s an emergency room in a hospital. It wasn’t like there was a lot of tension. Despite appearances, we didn’t have a drink. It was all fake beer. We’d have been falling around all over the place.”

Asked whether Cheers would still be popular, he said: “I don’t know about now but I remember when we held a parade in Boston we drew more people than the Pope. It was big.”

Since leaving Cheers, John has provided voices for characters in animation films like Up, Toy Story, A Bug’s Life and Finding Nemo.

Ted Danson, who gained an Emmy nomination for his role in the TV drama Damages in 2007, still insists that his time on Cheers was “the happiest of my life – it was like an extended family”.

A spokeswoman for NBC said: “There’s nothing on the slate at the moment that we know of. We don’t show Cheers on the network any more. It was like 20 years ago, wasn’t it?”

The final episode of Cheers was seen by 80 million people, the second most watched finale in television history behind the 106 million who saw the end of M*A*S*H 10 years earlier.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ing-for-return
Attached Images

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend
Now on the good ship lollipop

Typical response from NBC. They don't know what Michael J. Fox looks like and they're not sure when Cheers was on their network. I'd love to see a Cheers reunion but the NBC that aired Cheers doesn't exist anymore.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

I'd love to see a Cheers reunion. I would definitely watch it.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Chocoholic
Banned!!
Forum Veteran
Banned

I'd love to see a Cheers reunion too, as well as for Wings and a couple of other NBC shows, but like Sonny said, the NBC that aired Cheers has ceased to exist
Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
PrettyinPink55
Forum Veteran

I would LOVE to see a Cheers reunion!!

If NBC won't do it, can they pitch it to another network?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
oldguywithsticks
Frequent Poster
Frasier/Jane Leeves Fan 4 Life

This would probably be the coolest thing ever were it to happen. I'm down for it!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Chocolate Moose

Sounds like ole Cliffy didn't save his money !!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Cliff Barnes
Frequent Poster

It would be awesome to do one, I have wanted one for years. That is a real jerk response from NBC, clearly it is a different regime now. I would think the main decision would be made by Viacom since they own it, they could try to put it on another channel-while I doubt it might get a new series, at the very least a reunion movie would be fun. I don't think John has money problems, he seems like he's the most active one-I think he honestly just feels like the rest of us, we'd love to see them again, while they're all still with us.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
yankeesrj12

NBC should air this to help pump some life into their other comedies.

How will they perform? Check out my predictions: http://goo.gl/kJhmAH
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
samanddiane4eva
Forum Regular
Icon credit: Me

Brian, this article inspired me to do a twitter campaign for a Cheers reunion.

Tired of waiting for a Cheers reunion like I am? Please tweet the following message on Twitter then ASAP and be heard:

" Please RT this. "Dear The Powers That Be, Please make a Cheers reunion TV movie!" #cheersreunion "

Be sure to include the hashtag or a variation of it: #cheersreunion . I really want this to trend and I can't do this without your help. Thanks so much!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Kristen

I'd be curious to see this. Esp. if Shelley Long came back, and they somehow revived the whole Sam/Diane saga. I'm not sure what kind of premise could be used, but I bet someone could come up w/ one. I hope someone listens to John's idea!

- Kristen

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
McGillicuddy

I suggest someone start a Facebook Page. They got Betty White on Saturday Night Live, so why not this? While you're at it start a Facebook Page to promote hiring some new folks at NBC, that spokeswoman sounds like an uninformed idiot!

Last edited by McGillicuddy : 03-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
samanddiane4eva
Forum Regular
Icon credit: Me

Done.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-wan...e/395769579492
Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
oldguywithsticks
Frequent Poster
Frasier/Jane Leeves Fan 4 Life

While I'd again love to see this happen, the chances are HIGHLY unlikely. I just think it'd be too difficult to get everybody to agree to do this. I'll keep my hopes up though.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
McGillicuddy

Though I'd love to see the Cheers gang return to their roles, I could see a retrospective show as being more feasible.