Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Mary Tyler Moore Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Mary Tyler Moore Show Photo Gallery

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Mary Tyler Moore Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD Review

Join all of your favorites in the WJM-TV newsroom for the hilarious, heartfelt sixth season of the comedy classic that turned the world on with a smile now on DVD from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment! This time, love is all around and while the ever-independent Mary falls head over heels and rekindles an old flame, the level-headed Murray pines away for a secret love of his own. And thatís just the beginning -- from Louís outrageously unlikely date with Sue Ann to Ted and Georgetteís uproarious wedding, itís time to share the love, the lunacy, and the laughter with all of the gang in this timeless Emmy Award-winning classic.

Read our review by Seth here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/themary...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

Great review!

Suggestion for season 7: On the final episode, include the original "last call" of the actors that aired over the credits. Then for a bonus include the "syndicated" end credits.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
scotsguy
Forum Regular

Great review,I don't have an issue with the picture quality on MTM DVDs,if you want to see bad picture quality check Rhoda season1 by Shout Factory,lots of episodes cut,too.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Great review, Seth! Can't wait to watch this.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
likewow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
Great review!

Suggestion for season 7: On the final episode, include the original "last call" of the actors that aired over the credits. Then for a bonus include the "syndicated" end credits.

Great suggestion! I emailed Fox but got no satisfaction. They sent back an email saying something like "We don't know anything about your request."

So I have my doubts we'll see this
Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
McGillicuddy

I am going to be majorly disappointed if the "last call" is not included in the last season. I wish they could show even more footage, but I won't be holding my breath. But the last call, as originally broadcast, better be on there!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
scotsguy
Forum Regular

I emailed Fox to request "Phyllis" on DVD and Fox didn't even bother to reply,the money I've spent on MTM DVDs over the years and they can't even bother to reply,charming!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Benno123

Quote:
Originally Posted by likewow
Great suggestion! I emailed Fox but got no satisfaction. They sent back an email saying something like "We don't know anything about your request."

So I have my doubts we'll see this

I have no answer to that!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsguy
I emailed Fox to request "Phyllis" on DVD and Fox didn't even bother to reply,the money I've spent on MTM DVDs over the years and they can't even bother to reply,charming!
Why would Fox respond to an inquiry about Phyllis, when they licenced Rhoda out and didn't seem to care about finishing off The Mary Tyler Moore Show, until after years of solicitation from hard-core fans.
The only way Phyllis will see the light of day is if Shout! releases it. Lets all keep after Shout! Factory!!!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Benno123

My personal opinion is that Fox really has no interest in releasing MTM, and the only reason seasons 5 & 6 were released was from the fans requesting. Had they cared, the boxes and sets would have matched those from the first 4 releases. (At least in season 6 they included episode titles and some decoration inside the case, unlike season 5 with it's ultra-generic looking white.) I think they were burned by their own doings with the talk of possibly just releasing the entire series in one set (which I think was the way they would be able to say "There, here it is .... the entire show is there.") but was taken aback from the outcry from fans who had already spent x-amount of money to buy the first 4 seasons, and then have to rebuy those to get the final 3. (And I know that there are fans who would have rebought those 4 years, and I know that there are some who are waiting for an entire series release and that is fine ... to each their own.) That's why I think the quick "We don't know anything about your request" answer pretty much matched their attitude.

It was pointed out to focus on Shout! on releases of Phyllis. As long as Fox would provide clean, unedited episodes (including what now must be the missing two from syndication) I think this would be a good idea. With a show that lasted only two seasons, they could do a delux release with both seasons and have the series out in one big release. (And did I read it or dream it that when asked by Shout with the first episode of Rhoda about the missing opening scene with Mary and Rhoda in the airport, the reply was that the footage does not exist anymore. Considering that I just saw that clip on New Year's Day when American Life started rerunning the show, that should show how much little thought or research has gone into these series.)

And when will the final two season of The Bob Newhart Show be released????
Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Benno123

And let me add one more thought on season 6. I have watched the first 2 discs, and even though I've said it before I think it needs repeated. When a show reaches season 6 its quality starts to decline. For MTM it seems that the series just keeps getting better and better with each passing season. I remember seeing "Mary's Aunt" when it was on Nick at Nite and not really caring for that episode. In fact, I almost skipped it but I watched it Friday evening and really, really enjoyed it a lot!!!!

When season 7 comes out, Fox should look into including the two "reunion" specials with the MTM cast that aired in 1991 and in 2002 (I think). And does anyone remember that series Inside TV Land that was on TV Land? They did an hour on MTM that I use to have, but the tape broke so I haven't seen it since it aired That would be a great bonus, too.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
McGillicuddy

I'm still holding on to the hope that (if or when) Fox releases the complete series, that they'll be some more extras. Seasons 1 and 2 box sets had some great ones. Moore on Sunday was a documentary of the filming of the opening sequence for the first season, shot on location in Minneapolis. I kept thinking wow, this show's going to have some great stuff for extras, but it stopped after season 2. I want to see some more behind the scenes stuff, the bloopers reel, the '91 reunion, or any other reunions,
the honor at the TVland awards.......anything!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
scotsguy
Forum Regular

Benno,I couldn't agree with you more about the rubbish Shout came up with,for the reasons regarding for missing scenes and edited episodes on "Rhoda" season1.
It was just a case of shoving out edited,syndicated episodes with no though to Rhoda fans,I hope season2 is better.