Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #46
rcbrad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchmans
If you have a computer that writes DVDs, you can also buy a VHS to DVD adapter/converter. CHEAP. I use one of these. Its a USB adapter with RCA jacks to hook between your computer and VCR. Since flash drives are so cheap now, you can record Your shows onto your PC and store them on a flash drive. I have many TV series stored on flash drive. I did this because I have 2 DVD recorders, and that have many times rejected new DVD +-Rs. My PC rarely ever does that. It cost about the same to put good quality onto DVD-Rs as it does a flash drive, and it's easier to store, plus you can copy allot faster onto another DVD from flash drive. Here is an eBay link. And one more thing. There is allot of free editing software u can get online, or buy if you want, that is far superior to the editing programs in these DVD recorders. But if u have a dVD recorder I would still keep it because its good for copying off of TV.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this info. It was helpful and informative. I was not aware that this was so easy to do. I have a DVD recorder and it takes a lot of time. Making the menus is a pain and the thumbnail photo feature does not always work either on my machine for some reason and some words end up being split up.

I have a ton of tv shows from trading that I would like to preserve. As each year goes by, the tapes are probably getting worse and worse. Already some of the tapes have a rolling picture and other problems that I cannot correct.

I like the idea of just transferring a whole VHS tape of shows that you want to transfer and then going in to edit out stuff you do not want and then you can make the menus. (I assume) If you have a few minutes, could you recommend some free DVD editing software that is easy to use for this purpose for a newbie?

Are the adapters/converters pretty much the same or would they vary in the quality of the sound/picture that is being transferred?

I hope that I can make menus and hopefully have photo thumbnails to go with the menus. I really need to continue transferring as, I have let too much time go by.

Thanks again the info, which has helped me get back in gear!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #47
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

I transferred as many of my VHSs to DVD as I could. Also many of my store-bought TV show VHSs were duplicated by much better DVD versions. I only have about 10 VHSs now. Because I live in a studio apartment, the VHSs took up too much space. Also they are much more fragile. I lost 4 or 5 of the cassettes when they ripped in my combo recorder. My opinion on VHS: good bye and good riddance. The less VHSs I have these days the better!

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #48
Furienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
My opinion on VHS: good bye and good riddance. The less VHSs I have these days the better!
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, they take up a bit more space than DVDs, but I still use VHS, and I see no reason why I shouldn't.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #49
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, they take up a bit more space than DVDs, but I still use VHS, and I see no reason why I shouldn't.

Different strokes for different folks. I find VHSs cumbersome: inefficient in terms of storage space. I live in a small apartment and VHSs take up A LOT more space than DVDs. I really see VHSs as an (almost) obsolete media. I've also had trouble with the tape coming of the spool - and always on a cassette I REALLY wanted to transfer over to DVD. Next to impossible to repair too. Ugh, I hate VHS!

But if you like them fine. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. But for me, VHS's are God awful - I prefer DVDs FAR FAR more.

Last edited by OH Nuts! : 06-17-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #50
Furienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Different strokes for different folks. I find VHSs cumbersome: inefficient in terms of storage space. I live in a small apartment and VHSs take up A LOT more space than DVDs. I really see VHSs an an (almost) obsolete media. I've also had trouble with the tape coming of the spool - and always on a cassette I REALLY wanted to transfer over to DVD. Next to impossible to repair too. Ugh, I hate VHS!

But if you like them fine. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. But for me, VHS's are God awful - I prefer DVDs FAR FAR more.
I just don't understand why the old technique has to be considered "obsolete", just because a new technique has emerged. Why can't you use both VHS and DVD?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #51
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
I just don't understand why the old technique has to be considered "obsolete", just because a new technique has emerged. Why can't you use both VHS and DVD?

The old technique (VHS) is cumbersome and inefficient for my needs, that's why I dislike VHS. All TV shows and movies now come out on DVD or Blue-Ray. They don't even make stand-alone VHS players or recorders anymore. The only reasons I can see keeping VHS cassettes are (1) you don't want to spend the extra money to get the show or movie on DVD (2) coding prevents you from dubbing a VHS cassette over to DVD (3) the cassette can not be transferred over for some other reason. So I have 7 VHS tapes: 2 that can't be copied over to DVD and 5 spares if I need extra recording time (like for a marathon - so I can get extra recording time on top of my DVDs.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #52
Vahan

I still use both VHS and DVD.

And let's not forget: There are so many movies on VHS, but not on DVD.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #53
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Did everybody used to complain about VHS tapes before the DVD was invented? I don't remember it.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #54
Furienna

Nope, I don't think anybody complained. VHS must have seemed awesome back when it first came out, and I doubt anybody dreamed of a "better" technique. DVD emerged approximately a decade ago and started taking over the market, but I still use VHS for home recording. Something happened, who knows what, so I can't even record anything on my DVD player anymore. Well, nothing but a black silence, that is.

My brother also belongs to the "new technique always beats old technique" crowd. He was really quick to transfer everything, that he wanted to keep, from VHS to DVD and throw his tapes away. And I've never understood why, as I've never seen VHS as "cumbersome" or "obsolete".
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #55
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Nope, I don't think anybody complained. VHS must have seemed awesome back when it first came out, and I doubt anybody dreamed of a "better" technique. DVD emerged approximately a decade ago and started taking over the market, but I still use VHS for home recording. Something happened, who knows what, so I can't even record anything on my DVD player anymore. Well, nothing but a black silence, that is.

My brother also belongs to the "new technique always beats old technique" crowd. He was really quick to transfer everything, that he wanted to keep, from VHS to DVD and throw his tapes away. And I've never understood why, as I've never seen VHS as "cumbersome" or "obsolete".
I don't even have a DVD recorder. I have a combo and if I want to tape something off of the tv I use the VCR. If I want a show on DVD then I'll buy it...same as for movies. I spent years taping shows on the VCR. It took a lot of time. I just can't put that same time into converting them all to DVD. I'd be in my 70's by then and then the DVD would probably be extinct.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #56
Regulus

Since today is Fathers Day I decided to watch a movie about Dads and their Kids. The Movie I selected was The Rescue which deals with kids rescuing their dads after a hostile foreign force captures them. For some reason this movie was never released on DVD but it's available on VHS You can get a used copy from the Big River for $9.79 (Including Shipping). A new copy? You'll need at least $40.43! Or you can find as copy of this movie at a Garage Sale, hopefully the seller will accept the $.50 you offer them.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #57
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahan
I still use both VHS and DVD.

And let's not forget: There are so many movies on VHS, but not on DVD.

True. But I was lucky with mine. All were esoteric, but ones I was fond of. All but two were able to be transferred over to DVD.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #58
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
Did everybody used to complain about VHS tapes before the DVD was invented? I don't remember it.

I don't think anyone complains when there isn't anything better. But for me, DVDs are much better, for the reasons I stated.

Last edited by OH Nuts! : 06-17-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #59
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
I don't even have a DVD recorder. I have a combo and if I want to tape something off of the tv I use the VCR. If I want a show on DVD then I'll buy it...same as for movies. I spent years taping shows on the VCR. It took a lot of time. I just can't put that same time into converting them all to DVD. I'd be in my 70's by then and then the DVD would probably be extinct.

Maybe I've just had bad luck with my taped VHSs, but 5% became damaged. And things I really wanted. I have a combo unit too that can record and transfer to either medium. I transferred over about 100 cassettes to DVD and it wasn't so bad - every time I left the house I dubbed 2 hours. But I admit I was motivated to get rid of my VHSs; they were just taking up too much space in my studio apartment.

Yes, something better will always come along. And it already has actually: Blue Ray. But I'm so wowed by DVDs I'll probably stay with them for a LONG time.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #60
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I wonder if our ancestors had problems like this. Victrolla player, record player, cassette player, cd player, ITUNE player.
You have to advance for the old stuff goes out of date fast.