Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

I lost mines in Katrina
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #17
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS combo.

I have a ton of VHS that I have saved over the years and most I have transferred onto DVDs. I haven't gotten rid of any of my tapes as well.

My first priority was to transfer things that never got released on DVD or stuff that had extras not found on the DVD. I wanted to have these saved so when VCR/VHS really become extinct down the road that the material hasn't been lost.

I have things, like the TV-movie Babes in Toyland, that has never been put to DVD but had a VHS release.

Also, some movies contain some things that never made it to DVD; like with the film The Crow. At the end of the The Crow VHS there was a feature at the end, a Brandon Lee interview, that was different from the one found on the DVD.

So I wanted to make sure I had things like this saved so I worked on transferring those first.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #18
Furienna

I still use VCR tapes, even though my brother calls therm "obsolete".
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
ekkostar
Coffee, Tea & Larroquette!

Send a message via Yahoo to ekkostar

I still have all my VHS tapes. I stopped using them to record things after I got my wi-fi connection. With the internet you don't have to worry about having hard copies of guest apperences and things like that.
I'm not going to have to worry about CD-Rs or DVD-Rs very soon, either. I just got a computer that is completely for backup, audio and video, I need to hook it up to my TV and stereo.

"All my sitcoms had an audience, with four or five cameras, so working this way has always been appealing to me." - John Larroquette

A living legend, five Emmys and a Tony award! Your favorites could never...

Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

I have a VCR hooked up to the computer and have transferred all of my VHS tapes(and laser discs) that aren't available on DVD. Plus I'm still buying used VHS movies that have yet to be released on DVD and transferring them over.

The only VHS I'm getting rid of are those I've been able to replace on DVD, plus I'm keeping my collection of VHS that are in the oversized clamshell cases.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I have about 100 vhs tapes of movies and tv shows from the past 20 years that I have taped from the tv. Then I have about 10 -8 mm camcorder tapes that I took of the family. My mom, my dad, older friends who have passed away. I should look at the family tapes for it is family.That would be hard to part with although when I am gone, someone will. The movies well I can live without. I do occassionaly look at them. But I do wonder how long the they will last in very good condition. I remember the first time I rented a camcorder machine and filmed. I looked at that tape and it is quite a blurr. Audio isn't bad. Memories are hard to give up.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
Ohio8

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

I get rid of them by opening the cases, removing the tape, and chopping the tape into short pieces with a pair of scissors. It's also how I get rid of old music cassettes.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
Tweety

I first got a VCR in 1984, and have over 300 VHS tapes with all kinds of stuff on them. I'd put 2 or 3 movies on a tape... we bought an Insignia VHS/DVD recorder and are slowly but surely making our way through the tapes to see what's worth saving.

We have a few movies that were released in the 60s that I literally haven't seen rebroadcast since the mid-late 1980s. Those were the first things I wanted to transfer.

I'm also transferring sporting events that I taped... e.g. the NBA was great in the 80s, and I have more than 2 dozen Laker/Celtic games, including all 19 Finals games from 84, 85 and 87. Hall of Famers are all over the place in those games. I had a satellite dish at that time, so I recorded a lot of Laker games, as Jabbar and Magic were my favorite players (and if they played the game out west, they'd start at 7:30 pacific, but 10:30 eastern, which is where I've always lived).

During those years, I made a valiant attempt to number all of the tapes and keep track of what was on them, but sometimes got lazy about it. Now, going through the tapes, it's interesting to see what we thought was worth taping at the time.

Re: the insignia DVD/VHS recorder that we use to transfer the programs from VHS to DVD (Model IS-DVD100121), has a number of nice features... but the biggest one is its ability to "sense" when a rewinding (or fast-forwarding) VHS tape is approaching the end of the reel...when the tape is nearing the end of the reel, the REW/FF speed slows down (more and more as you get near the end)... this is a very useful feature because it helps prevent the VHS tape from snapping right off the reel from the force of the rewind... anyone who's had a VHS tape snap right off the reel knows how impossible those things are to put together if you open them (although maybe by now there's something on Youtube to explain how to put the tape back together if you have to open it up).

Still not sure what we'll do with the tapes after we're done. There are places that accept donations of certain kinds of tapes, so we'd look into that first.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Furienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio8
I get rid of them by opening the cases, removing the tape, and chopping the tape into short pieces with a pair of scissors. It's also how I get rid of old music cassettes.
That's barbaric!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #25
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

Still got most of mine, but they take up so much space and I don't watch em, just can't get rid of them.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
Tweety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
That's barbaric!

lol, I agree! Isn't there SOME government agency we should notify??

Who's the Secretary of V.H.S. ?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
Regulus

My VHS Player still works. So I keep my old VHS Tapes. If a Tape gives out I'll replace it with a DVD, otherwise I'll still use the VHS Version. If it aint broke DON'T FIX IT!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

3 years ago we finally broke down and bought a dvd player. Actually it is a vcr and dvd combined. I have given away most of my commercial tapes but I have hung onto my own recorded tapes . Especially the ones in which I haven't as yet found a dvd replacement for. They are mostly tv series and tv movies which surprisingly many of these tv movies are available on dvd now! So I am slowly but surely depleting my video tape collection
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Frump

Well I keep all of my special VHS tapes, you never know when you might want them again.

I've heard of lots of ppl getting rid of their VHS tapes then regreting it later. Plus there are sometimes things on VHS tapes that you don't get on DVDs.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
Furienna

That's right. I can find many things, which I have on VHS, on DVD or on YouTube, but not all of it.