Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
TheHappyBurgerMeister

Send a message via AIM to TheHappyBurgerMeister
Question What do you do with old VHS tapes?

I have a ton of old VHS tapes from the past 20 plus years and most I can probably just throw out but some stuff I really want to transfer to DVD. If anyone has done that before, what's the best way to go about doing that? I'm looking into buying a DVD/VHS recorder combo, but I also know that some companies will do it for you when you send it to them. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thinkin' 'Bout Something Official Music Video

Shout it Out- Hanson's 5th studio album in stores June 8th!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
floyd2006
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyBurgerMeister
I have a ton of old VHS tapes from the past 20 plus years and most I can probably just throw out but some stuff I really want to transfer to DVD. If anyone has done that before, what's the best way to go about doing that? I'm looking into buying a DVD/VHS recorder combo, but I also know that some companies will do it for you when you send it to them. Any help or suggestions would be great!

I'm in the same boat as you. I have hundreds & hundreds of tapes in boxes, but I wouldnt dare get rid of them even after puttng them on dvd. I guess i'm too much of a pack rat

I just got a Magnavox dvd recorder with an 160 GB Hard Drive.. It's really neat, you can put your VHS tapes on the hard drive and delete scenes(like commercials) that you dont want. It's not a DVD/VHS recorder, but you can hook an old vhs to it. I highly recommend this, the price is a little high, but worth it.

Or this might be more of what your looking for : http://www.magnavox.com/p/index_player.php?id=28

I cant give you my input on the dual recorder, other than Magnavox is a great company. Hope I have helped.
Attached Images

My Youtube Channel
Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Tubehead

Default TAPES

i RECOMMED PICKING UP DVD/VSH TAPE COMB. MY MOMS GOT ONE. I WOULD CHECK AT MAKAYS OR GRUMPY USED BOOK STORE. YOU CAN GET MONEY. YOU MAY NOT GET TOO MUCH MONEY. MY UNCLE WENT AND HE GOT 60 DOALLORS FOR VSH TAPES AT MACKAYS USE BOOK STORE. I WOULD CHEK OUT IN YOUR TOWN TO SEE IF THEIRS MACKAYS OR GRUMPYS TRADE IN STORE. OR YOU CAN TAKE TRADE OR REAGULER MONEY ITS UPTO YOU . SOMETIME YOU GET MORE IN TRADE.. TRADE IS LIKE MONEY YOU CAN ONLY BUY ANYTHING IN THE STORE.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

I have this same problem. A DVD/VCR combo is a great idea, but I have owned two of these and I don't really want to spend the money for another one. But I do have a lot of VHS tapes that I am clueless about what to do with. My wedding from 1996 is on VHS and I've asked around at places that do DVD transfers. They all want a release form signed. I can't get in touch with the person who video taped my wedding. For all I know he's no longer around, so I'm hoping I can find someone to do it without the legalities.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
oz615
Forum Regular
Sitcoms Online Thread Killer

Thumbs up

Or you can get a pci tuner card and i you happen to have some commercial,promos and anything rare,upload them on youtube!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

I'm thinking of having a DVD Recorder that can have 6-8 hours of Disc rather than the 2-4 hours.

But this is once when I get some $$$....I also want to get The Marx Brothers all on DVD.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
steevo
It is Green

For some TV shows that I recorded on VHS, I transferred them to DVD-RW using my combo VHS/DVD recorder, since I can edit out the commercials. The quality is not as good as a commercial DVD, but you can get 6 hours on one disc easily. The most recent show I had done this with is Knots Landing, since that show is not very much out on DVD yet commercially (just seasons 1 and 2).

I have loads of various Star Trek VHS from Columbia House that I will unload at some point since I have them on DVD, either on Ebay or a local pawn shop.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

I still have most of mine.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo
For some TV shows that I recorded on VHS, I transferred them to DVD-RW using my combo VHS/DVD recorder, since I can edit out the commercials. The quality is not as good as a commercial DVD, but you can get 6 hours on one disc easily. The most recent show I had done this with is Knots Landing, since that show is not very much out on DVD yet commercially (just seasons 1 and 2).

I have loads of various Star Trek VHS from Columbia House that I will unload at some point since I have them on DVD, either on Ebay or a local pawn shop.

I might do that to my Loopy de Loop cartoons...put them all on one DVD since Warner Home Video hasn't released any of his cartoons on DVD. And that'll happen when Cleveland wins a Championship.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

I sold all mine to a local comicbook shop they don't pay that well but it was extra money that came in handy.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
coffield3
<3

I still have most of mine...they are stored away in my loft. I dont think I'll ever sell them or throw them away!

ღღღ
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
floyd2006
Forum Regular

Yeah I have tons & tons of stuff. I'll never give them away, you just never know when somebody might want to trade.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
70s show watcher

i have tons of vhs tapes too
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
DLevine2
DLevine2

I took my old VHS tapes to the book sale at the library and donated them for the Friends of the Library.