Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Patty Duke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Patty Duke Show Photo Gallery

The Patty Duke Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Patty Duke Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default The Patty Duke Show - The Complete First Season DVD Review

We’ve all heard of identical twins, but identical cousins? Is it really possible? When you are teenage cousins such as Patty and Cathy Lane, it is! The Patty Duke Show finally makes it onto DVD in a six-disc DVD set featuring the entire first season of the girls that laughed alike, walked alike, and times even talked alike. Cathy is the reserved and worldly cousin that has seen it all, and Patty is the one that has seen it all from Brooklyn Heights and is more of the bouncy American teenager. Both, of course, are played by the star of the series, Patty Duke. The series ran from 1963 to 1966, and the first 36 (of a total of 104) episodes are presented in The Complete First Season.

Read our review by Skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thepatt...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Nice!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
lalauver
Frequent Poster

Post PATTY DUKE

I THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERSTING
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvo...duke-show.aspx
HOPE YOU ENJOY
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
randyrandy
Frequent Poster

I noticed a little error in the booklet that came with the DVD set. In the description for the episode The Actress, it refers to Patty and Cathy as being sisters. Maybe they are actual twins after all.

One other minor error, in the description for the episode The Conquering Hero. It says that Cathy gets her dad to allow the basketball player to stay with them. I don't think Cathy's dad had anything to say about it.

Don't mind me. I'm just one of those nitpickers. It is a neat little booklet and I can't wait to watch the DVDs. (I just wish the photos in the booklet were bigger!)

Patty Duke Photo Group
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group...e_Photo_Group/
Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
retroTVfan4ever

This release would normally be pretty big news, but since all the episodes have been aired uncut on TV since 2006, it takes some attention away from the DVD release. Hopefully Shout will stay committed to the show and release all three seasons. If they do, the next show they should look into releasing on DVD is The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis. That show would be the perfect follow up to issue after Patty Duke, Jean Byron and William Schallert were in it also. In my opinion, Dobie Gillis would probably sell better on DVD than Patty Duke.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
randyrandy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
This release would normally be pretty big news, but since all the episodes have been aired uncut on TV since 2006, it takes some attention away from the DVD release. Hopefully Shout will stay committed to the show and release all three seasons. If they do, the next show they should look into releasing on DVD is The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis. That show would be the perfect follow up to issue after Patty Duke, Jean Byron and William Schallert were in it also. In my opinion, Dobie Gillis would probably sell better on DVD than Patty Duke.

I think you are underestimating the impact of a DVD release compared to a show being aired at 6 AM on stations that the vast majority of people don't even know exist.

TV shows on DVD are a big deal nowadays, and the internet coverage that the DVD release has gotten over the past week or so blows away any coverage the show has gotten for being on TV.

Just take a look around this board and see whether The Patty Duke Show being released on DVD is a big deal or not. I also have all of the episodes recorded on DVD, but having at least the first season on DVD, unedited and commercial free, is indeed a big deal!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

In my opinion Patty Duke is a much better show than Dobie Gillis.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
lalauver
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
This release would normally be pretty big news, but since all the episodes have been aired uncut on TV since 2006, it takes some attention away from the DVD release.
I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS ON TV SINCE NICK AT NITE!
BUT I AM ENJOYING SEASON 1 SINCE I GOT MY DVDS FROM AMAZON
Old 10-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Any minor flaws with sound or picure went totally unnoticed by me as I was so happy this show finally came out (thank you again SHOUT!). Generally I would think that one bonus feature lasting roughly 14 min was scant BUT this one was so good that quality definitely trumped quantity. Overall a very fine DVD set (IMHO) and worth every penny I spent on it. The cast interview was so warm (and everyone key to show still living was there) that I have to say its the best one I've ever seen. Patty is esp. giving of herself. SHOUT! just keeps getting better and better.

xxoo You both Rock!!

Last edited by OH Nuts! : 10-04-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
In my opinion Patty Duke is a much better show than Dobie Gillis.

I tend to agree with you, but I think Dobie Gillis has a larger fan base than the Patty Duke Show. But I could be wrong about that. I have all the uncut Patty Duke episodes recorded from TV, quality is great so I don't plan to buy the retail DVD's. But it's good season one has been issued, hopefully they'll stick with it and issue seasons two and three.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
bliss
Forum Regular
THAT GIRL

The episodes look good on the DVD. It's just like watching it on TV.
Hopefully there will be audio commentary on select episodes on the
Season 2 release.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss
The episodes look good on the DVD. It's just like watching it on TV.
Hopefully there will be audio commentary on select episodes on the
Season 2 release.

Yeah the audio commentaries can be quite nice. I really liked the one on SHOUT's first Adv. of Ozzie and Harriet release. Still this Patty Duke is VERY VERY NICE. And all 36 eps not like that 1/2 of Season nonsense with My Three Sons. And the cast commentary on the PD set is just awesome.

Oh, and btw, I just LOVE your av Bliss!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
TeeVeeCloset

Many on/off topics to discuss.....

First I think Patty Duke has a larger fan base than Dobie, I would buy both and am enjoying Patty very much and hope Shout continues with releases...

Dobie Gillis is being held up by rights issues and it has been going on for years, not sure exactly what the problems are but I believe they have to do with the creator and producers.

Wish Shout would continue best of "Ozzie & Harriet" releases or heaven forbid, season sets.....the Nelson family has said all the episodes exsist, yet we never got an honest answer as to why every episode Shout released has been from the 22 minute 1985 Disney Channel syndication copyrights....funny...Disney didn't even have commercials back then!, yet they aired cut episodes....I remember back then they also ran the now vanished 60's Beatles cartoons (now Beatles owned)....back then owned by King Features.

As for "My Three Sons" I think paramount has given up and they botched season 1 so much, I would rather wait until maybe shout picks up the series.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Jude The Obscure
Retired

The Patty Duke Show may be on outlets like This TV and World Harvest TV, but that hardly is the same as if the show was being exposed on say, TV Land!

Still it is great for season one at last. I already have all the episodes on DVD--thanks to another poster (who is no longer here--won't be going into that) who got them off the ME TV/ME TOO airings.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
Many on/off topics to discuss.....

First I think Patty Duke has a larger fan base than Dobie, I would buy both and am enjoying Patty very much and hope Shout continues with releases...

Dobie Gillis is being held up by rights issues and it has been going on for years, not sure exactly what the problems are but I believe they have to do with the creator and producers.

Wish Shout would continue best of "Ozzie & Harriet" releases or heaven forbid, season sets.....the Nelson family has said all the episodes exsist, yet we never got an honest answer as to why every episode Shout released has been from the 22 minute 1985 Disney Channel syndication copyrights....funny...Disney didn't even have commercials back then!, yet they aired cut episodes....I remember back then they also ran the now vanished 60's Beatles cartoons (now Beatles owned)....back then owned by King Features.

As for "My Three Sons" I think paramount has given up and they botched season 1 so much, I would rather wait until maybe shout picks up the series.

Yes, I too am hoping Shout comes out with some more Ozzie & Harriet or maybe even Mill Creek with another mega-ep set . Yes the O & H eps were shortish but better than nothing, and still quite nice nonetheless.

I totally agree Paramount botched w My Three Sons. I'm holding off too on this until something good on it comes out.

But the Patty Duke set by Shout is divine!