Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sanford and Son Online / Sanford and Son links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Sanford and Son Photo Gallery

Sanford and Son - Season 1

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 1 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 2

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 2 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 3

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 3 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 4

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 4 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 5

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 5 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 6

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 6 on DVD
Sanford and Son - The Complete Series

Buy Sanford and Son - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Sanford and Son
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo
Moesha Returns Daily to BET; NBC Schedules Maya Rudolph Variety-Comedy Special
TV Land Picks Up Hilary Duff, Sutton Foster Sitcom; Episodic Review: New Girl - "Big News" Airing Tonight on Fox
Maude Mother's Day Marathon on Logo; WE tv 2014 Upfront

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
isiahthomas

Default How Was Redd Foxx Financially Broke Before He Died?

What did he do with his money? I remember hearing that he was having financial problems before he died. How did he end up like that? Was he throwing away his bills in real life without paying them like he did on Sanford And Son? LOL. I hope not.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

The IRS

Redd Foxx never paid taxes and they came after him. I remember seeing a news report about how the IRS repossed his home and took away his cars. It was sad.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Zoneboy
Forum Veteran
Classic Country Fan

I heard years ago that Redd was an extremely generous man who shared his money with those less fortunate than himself. This may have been a factor when the IRS came after him for back taxes. Redd may also have squandered some his money and he may have died broke but if he was able to help others along the way then he didn't die in vain.

(R.G. Armstrong as the Contractor in The Twilight Zone episode "Nothing in the Dark")
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
isiahthomas

What makes him think he wasn't supposed to pay taxes? Does he think he was special because he was a celebrity and celebrities aren't supposed to pay taxes like everybody else? LOL. I don't like paying bills either but i have to because if i don't, i'll go to prison LOL. I'm not trying to go there because i know the inmates would be picking on me all the time. Wesley Snipes is lucky he isn't in prison for not paying his taxes. He's supposed to still be going to court about that right? I don't think he's been sentenced yet. Marvin Gaye also was ducking the IRS before he died. That's why he moved to London to get away from them. Ronald Isley of The Isley Brothers is supposed to be outta prison now i guess. He only did 3 years for tax evasion. He went to prison 3 years ago.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
The IRS

Redd Foxx never paid taxes and they came after him. I remember seeing a news report about how the IRS repossed his home and took away his cars. It was sad.
Not to mention the IRS auctioned off almost everything else he had.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
gidgetgrape

I remember the news reports about the taxes too. Here are some articles about it:

Redd Foxx Faces Homeless Holidays; IRS Seizes Property‎ - Dec 18, 1989

Redd Foxx and IRS Agree on Payment of Tax Debt‎ - Apr 23, 1990

Redd Foxx Says: 'I Married Kaho Because She Stood by Me when I Didn't Have a Quarter' - Jul 29, 1991

Redd Foxx Returns in New TV Show‎ - Oct 1991
This article also lists his divorce from his third wife as a source of his money problems.

The Ironic Death of Redd Foxx - Part 3
This article states Redd had an expensive cocaine habit too.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
GARFIELDKOOL

That sad, but at the same time, he was underpaid on Sanford and Son. According to the E! Hollywood True Story on Redd Foxx, he was making $15,000 a week. Even though that was the 70s, he should have been making more, because the show was a top 5 hit. At one point, it was neck and neck with All In the Family for the #1 spot. He one time demanded Carroll O'Connor's salary. O'Connor was pulling in $250,000 in episode.

Redd also had a drinking and gambling problem too. That didn't help his finances either.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend
Now on the good ship lollipop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARFIELDKOOL
That sad, but at the same time, he was underpaid on Sanford and Son. According to the E! Hollywood True Story on Redd Foxx, he was making $15,000 a week. Even though that was the 70s, he should have been making more, because the show was a top 5 hit. At one point, it was neck and neck with All In the Family for the #1 spot. He one time demanded Carroll O'Connor's salary. O'Connor was pulling in $250,000 in episode.

Redd also had a drinking and gambling problem too. That didn't help his finances either.
and Suzanne Somers thought she was underpaid. Redd was clearly the star of this show and together with Carroll O'Connor and Alan Alda, one of the biggest sitcom stars of the '70s. It's sad what happened to him.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Big Fred Fan
Frequent Poster

When Redd died broke, Eddie Murphy paid for his funeral giving him a lavish, Las Vegas star-studded sendoff fit for a king! Redd Foxx was the only celebrity invited to Elvis's wedding! Colonel Tom Parker attended Redd's funeral.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
isiahthomas

That was nice of Eddie Murphy to pay for Redd's funeral. I didn't know Redd had alcohol, gambling and drug problems. That's sad but i guess i shouldn't be surprised because those alcohol and drug problems happens to most celebrities. I will never understand why people drink alcohol, gamble money and do drugs.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
magellan333
Forum Regular

I heard he had a bad coke problem. The TV Party website said he did coke openly on the set of Sanford and Son and wore a gold coke spoon around his neck when doing stand up. I watched one of his standup routines available on Netflix. It is definitely and adult show, but it was funny.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #12
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Superbowl Bound! Go Hawks!

Location: The Emerald City-The home of 2014 NFC Championship Seattle Seahawks!

It just disgusts me that these actors make a boatload of money per episode (more than some people make in a year, if you factor in inflation!), and just blow it away. So irresponsible. You'd think they would have better sense than that!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
magellan333
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
It just disgusts me that these actors make a boatload of money per episode (more than some people make in a year, if you factor in inflation!), and just blow it away. So irresponsible. You'd think they would have better sense than that!

I've never quite understood it either. If I was blessed with such good fortune, I'd have something to show for it and some leftover.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan333
I've never quite understood it either. If I was blessed with such good fortune, I'd have something to show for it and some leftover.
Same here - I'd keep just enough for my family and I to live on comfortably and give the rest to charity/mission work.