Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #31
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

#1 Michael Jackson - I felt physically sick when I heard the news.
#2 John Ritter - I thought it was a mistake.
#3 Jonathan Brandis - I think about him often. He was like the boy next door.
4. John Candy - Seemed healthy, loved him soo much.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #32
dakert

I forgot to include Anissa Jones "Buffy" from Family Affair
Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #33
factsoflife

David Strickland from "Suddenly Susan" was a big one for me. I cried for months about that one. I was just devestated that such a young man would want to end his life. And since i am a major Tiffani Thissen fan i was so devestated for her, since they were engaged at the time.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #34
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

#1 John Ritter
#2 Johnny Carson
#3 Ed Mcmahon
#4 Jim Hendon
#5 Redd Foxx
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #35
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

half of the jeffersons cast deaths shocked me n caroll o connor death shocked me to
Old 06-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #36
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

The Death of Carroll O'Connor Shocked me.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #37
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

Wow, I am flabbergasted at all these responses! Only problem is that this thread is now very sad!!! Anyway, I thought of some more...

Charles Schulz. My husband and I are big Peanuts fans, so this one was a definite shock.

John Candy's death as well as Chris Penn. Those were surprising to hear about.

As much of an Audrey Hepburn fan as I am, I should have listed her as well. I remember hearing about when she died; January 20, 1993, but at the time I only knew of her by name and that she was an actress. It wasn't till 2004 when I became a huge fan, but I remember once I missed her so badly that I cried. Crazy, since I never even met her.

Richard Biggs played Dr. Marcus Hunter on Days of Our Lives and he died of an anurysm just like John Ritter did. I mentioned this in another thread but back in March of 2004 I went to a "memorial show" in Hollywood for him. It was more like a celebrity gathering (I'll make a separate post and include pics), but John Ritter's wife was there and she did that because of his death from an anurysm as well. She was the nicest person. I'd never met a celebrity that nice before. Actually I hadn't met anyone quite as nice as she was until that benefit.

It was sad to hear about Carol OConnor. I loved him as Archie Bunker but he was also in a WONDERFUL movie with David Duchovney and Minnie Driver called "Return to Me". One of the most romantic movies I've ever seen. Sigh.. BTW, he played Minnie Driver's grandad and he had an Irish accent. It was nice to see him in a feature film.

Andrea
Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #38
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

God I keep thinking of names to add to this! Definitely Princess Diana and John F Kennedy Jr should be added. I never really followed Princess Diana's life that much and she got so much media exposure that when she died (and I'm ashamed to admit this) I thought for a second that it might have been a hoax to keep her out of the media or something. I know that is a terrible thing to say and I do regret it, but I really felt for her, not being able to go anywhere without flashing lights in your face 24/7. After I realized that she was really gone, I kind of went overboard, reading stuff about her and so forth. I have that commemorative People Mag that had the white cover and her picture on it. I may buy their tribute to Michael Jackson, but I haven't decided yet. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose Diana.

As far as JFK Jr goes, I didn't believe this one at all. I remember they searched for the bodies forever and I was just so sure that they would find him alive. Again, someone that I didn't pay much attention to until after he died. He would have gone on to great things had he lived, and his wife was so beautiful.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #39
Hollywood Rock Chic

George Harrison. I cried when I found out that he had died

Ron Glass. I didn't cry when I Ron passed away, but the news of his death did have a major affect on me emotionally since I was such a HUGE fan of his back in 2003-2004; it was like losing a part of me

Last edited by Hollywood Rock Chic : 04-25-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #40
sbeamish
Forum Regular

Quite a few of my favorites passed away during my lifetime:

I was less than 1 year old, when George Reeves died. Consequently, that didn't really have the impact it might have had if I'd been older. Ditto: Lou Costello.

I was about 6, when Stan Laurel died. I also remember this as being somehow distant and detached from my life.

I remember Bud Abbott, Moe Howard and Larry Fine seemed to come one on top of the other. I was sad and a little POed that they didn't seem to get the attention other stars did.

Groucho's death came at the time I was really just getting out and spreading my wings a little. It was kind of overshadowed by my personal life.

Christopher Reeve was just tragic despite all he accomplished in those last 9 years.

Perhaps the one that affected me the most was Stephen Strimpell in 2006; not just because I'd been obsessing over Mr. Terrific for those years leading up to his death. It was because he died right here in New York (about 2 months after he answered my fan letter), and I didn't learn about it until 4 months later. I had to be told by another fan in Germany.

Okay, to the world at large he was no Michael Jackson, but he was a hero to me.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #41
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis
JFK Jr
John Lennon
George Harrison
Princess Diana
John Ritter
Paul Newman
Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #42
tanquant
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
After reading everyone's posts, I have to reply.

The death that hit me the hardest was John Ritter. I wasn't expecting it and it was so sudden and unexpected. It's almost still hard to believe. He was a great entertainer and a nice guy. He made the whole world laugh.

Another one would have to be Bea Arthur. I had no idea she was even sick. I loved her on The Golden Girls and to hear about her death was such a shock. It definitely hasn't been the same without her.

Another one would be Estelle Getty, although she had been sick for a long time, her death still hit me hard. She was a very wonderful, and unique person. She made me laugh on The Golden Girls. She will never be forgotten. She and Bea are reunited as mother and daughter in Heaven.

Don Knotts death was a shock to me as well. I loved him on The Andy Griffith Show and in the movies he did. The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpett, and The Apple Dumpling Gang. He made me laugh. He was one of a kind. I will never forget him.

Farrah Fawcett's death was definitely a surprise. I knew she had cancer but as far as I knew she was doing well and was feeling good. I had no idea she was near the end. I loved her in The Burning Bed, it was a great movie, based on a true story; which I have read and it is excellent. She was a great actress and was still beautiful until the end. Her death was tragic.

Last but not least, is the death of Michael Jackson. Whether you were a fan of his or not, his death still hit hard. I have always enjoyed his music and his dancing. I never believed him to be guilty of molesting those boys, the parents were just out for money. I believed him when he said he was innocent. Michael Jackson isn't a child molester or a pedophile, it's not his nature. He was eccentric, yes, but that's what made him who he was. He was an icon. He was a phenomenal dancer and singer. He did so much for people and for children. The world will never be the same without him. He had a talent that nobody will ever be able to measure up to. He did what he loved to do and that was to entertain people and make them happy. People were cruel and mean to him and that was wrong. He was born to entertain and he gave us what we wanted. His death will be felt for a very long time and there will be a big hole in people's hearts and the world that can't be filled. Rest In Peace, Michael. I will always love you and will miss you. You are in Heaven with the angels now.

That was so beautiful and true about what you said about Michael Jackson. You have me in tears now. Rest in peace Michael,may you find the peace in heaven that you could not find here on earth
Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #43
andress_jade
RIP Sweet Princess Carrie

Send a message via MSN to andress_jade Send a message via Yahoo to andress_jade

I wanted to add Christopher Reeve to the list. His death was a shock, especially since he was starting to get better. I wasn't expecting him to die and so suddenly.
He was an excellent actor and his death is still being felt to this day. He will always be Superman.
In Memoriam: John Ritter, Hayden Rorke, Sidney Sheldon, Bob Denver, Don Knotts, Andy Griffith, Elizabeth Montgomery, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Angell, Christopher Reeve, Shirley Temple Black, Larry Hagman, Lucille Ball, Patrick Swayze, Robin Williams, Alan Thicke, Mary Tyler Moore, Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #44
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
I wanted to add Christopher Reeve to the list. His death was a shock, especially since he was starting to get better. I wasn't expecting him to die and so suddenly.
He was an excellent actor and his death is still being felt to this day. He will always be Superman.
I know what you mean. If anyone would've been the one to beat the odds and walk again, it would've been Christopher Reeve. Though I was probably more shocked about the passing of his wife, Dana. What a wonderful couple they were.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #45
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I remember crying out loud when I heard that Wally Cox had died. I was in third grade and he was my first "celebrity death".

I was alive when Freddie Prinze killed himself, too. That was so shocking to the whole country, such a young man with so much promise...

Princess Di also really shocked and saddened me. Something about the terrible life she'd had to lead, then finally escaping it and becoming her own woman and a very good one at that, only to die so quickly was just crushingly sad.

And yeah, Chris Farley for me, too. He always seemed like such a good guy that was plagued by insecurity and a need to please, and again, at SUCH a young age (I think he was 32 or something).