Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

Unhappy Which Celebrity Death Hit You The Hardest?

In light of the recent losses of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, I want to pose this question.

Which celebrity deaths (any of them-long ago or recent) hit you the hardest? Either ones that you weren't expecting at all or the death of someone that you were a big fan of.

I guess the most shocking death for me was John Ritter. I heard that on the news during my lunch break and was still reeling from it several hours later.

The worst for me personally, though was probably Stanley Kammel, who was Dr. Charles Kroger on Monk. I'll never forget this. I was at a coffee shop in my office building one morning and I happened to look up at their LCD screen that has news items. I saw the headline "Monk Psych dies... cast and crew deeply saddened". At first I seriously thought it was a promo for Monk and Psych since they were in-between seasons. Then when I saw the last part, I realized that it must have been Stanley. Unfortunately, I found out about this around 7:45am, and I don't have access to the Internet at work (or anywhere near there for that matter). So I had to wait until after 11, when I went to lunch. I called my husband at work and asked him to look up what had happened for me. He told me that Stanley had died of a heart attack. It took me a REALLY long time to get over this (at least two months), and the funny thing was that I never cried over it. I never met the man, but I used to post religiously on the USA Network board on the Monk section. Stanley used to post on there as well. They had a thread where members could post questions for the actors and then the actors would go through and answer them. I was extremely touched when Stanley chose my question to answer. I really wish I could have met him, because he seemed like a wonderful man. It was like losing a friend. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I haven't watched Monk in ages. I hated the first episode of last season, because there was barely a mention of him. I was VERY upset over that, even though the cast did a promo commercial for heart disease in his honor. I thought they should have done a whole show in his memory or something; even spotlight Dr. Kroger since he only had a leading role in one episode. Incidentally that is one of my all-time favorite episodes.

Sorry I got carried away there! Another shocking death is when I found out that George Carlin died. My husband and I were in Vegas and we were checking out the buffet in one of the strip hotels. They had a flat screen TV on the wall and I saw Jerry Seinfeld being interviewed by Larry King. I immediately raced over to see what he was talking about and was shocked when I found out that the show was about George Carlin's passing. I felt really bad for my husband because he loved George Carlin. He talks about him a lot and tells me about all the Carlin albums he used to have. He even said that it was nice of Jerry Seinfeld to agree to go on Larry's show and talk about Carlin. I agree.

Andrea
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
tanquant
Forum Regular

For me it was John Ritter and Bernie Mac and Michael Jackson

I was shocked to hear about all but took John"s death the hardest. I cried all day and stayed glued to the television
Farrah Faucet, Micheal Jackson and Ed McMahon

Last edited by tanquant : 06-28-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

John Lennon
Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
dakert

Freddie Prinze
Elvis Presley
Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Princess Diana

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
70s show watcher

john belushi chris farley and john ritter
Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
McGillicuddy

Elizabeth Montgomery (Untimely)

John Ritter (Untimely & totally unexpected)

Lucille Ball (unexpected)

John Lennon (the murder!)

After thinking about it both Princess Diana and JFK Jr. probably affected me most because they were the result of tragic accidents, in addition to being untimely and unexpected!

Last edited by McGillicuddy : 06-28-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Forum Legend

John Ritter. I felt like I had lost a friend I had had for years, and I was only 14. It killed me and I couldn't stop thinking about it and how terrible it was and how young he was, and his family and young daughter. I was honestly very depressed because of it, but I didn't really start crying until I saw a special on him. It took a couple of years for it to really sink in. It still angers me that he had to die so young and isn't around anymore.

"I can feel it - the turn of the Earth,
the ground beneath our feet
spinning at a thousand miles an hour.
And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun
at 67,000 thousand miles an hour and I can feel it.
We're falling through space, you and me.
Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world
and if we let go..."

- The Doctor
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pleasant Tomorrow*
John Ritter. I felt like I had lost a friend I had had for years, and I was only 14. It killed me and I couldn't stop thinking about it and how terrible it was and how young he was, and his family and young daughter. I was honestly very depressed because of it, but I didn't really start crying until I saw a special on him. It took a couple of years for it to really sink in. It still angers me that he had to die so young and isn't around anymore.
That happened to me too Ashlee. I never really cried much over a celebrity. I've gotten real sad before but not crying so much that I couldn't stop. I was like that when I watched John's tribute on TV Land that week. He really did feel like an old friend. Whenever I was down, he just cheered me up. It was so unfair that he died so young.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
tv star collector
I Love Susie

TV

There are so many in my lifetime, but thirty who stand out are:

1959: George Reeves (The Adventures of Superman; 45)
1963: President John F. Kennedy (46)
1966: Walt Disney (65)
1969: Boris Karloff (82)
1972: Dan Blocker (Bonanza; 43)
1975: Larry Fine (73) and Moe Howard (78) of The Three Stooges
1977: Elvis Presley (42), Groucho Marx (86), and Bing Crosby (73)
1979: John Wayne (72)
1980: John Lennon (40)
1986: Paul Frees (voice of Boris Badenov, Ludwig von Drake, etc.; 66)
1987: Jackie Gleason (71) and Lorne Greene (72)
1988: Daws Butler (voice of Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, etc.; 71)
1989: Lucille Ball (77) and Mel Blanc (voice of Bugs Bunny, etc. ; 81)
1991: Michael Landon (54)
1993: Fred Gwynne (66) and Bill Bixby (59)
1996: George Burns (100)
1998: Roy Rogers (86) and Buffalo Bob Smith (Howdy Doody; 80)
2001: Dale Evans (88) and George Harrison (58)
2003: Bob Hope (100) and Johnny Cash (71)
2005: Paul Winchell (82) and Don Adams (82)
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Yooch

In no particular order: Fred Gwynne, Benny (Kid) Parett a boxer who died from a coma due to a KO when I was in Junior High, President Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, John Wayne, Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, John Ritter, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Landon, Pope John Paul I, Pope John XXIII
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

John Ritter and Farrah Fawcett.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Nighthawk76
Forum Veteran
Rachel Berry

Deforest Kelley (1999)
George Harrison (2001)
Maurice Gibb (2003)
James Doohan (2005)
Paul Newman (2008)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten about Maurice?? I was shocked - then I cried and cried. I still miss Mo.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy

A few more:

Thurman Munson
Conway Twitty
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Tammy Wynette
John Ritter
Owen Hart
Dale Earnhardt
Don Knotts
Princess Diana