Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery


The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Steve Coogan Tapped for Happyish Pilot for Showtime; Lifetime's Lizzie Borden Movie Turning Into Limited Series
CBS to Launch Decades, A New Digital Subchannel; The CW Orders Full Seasons of The Flash, Jane the Virgin
COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs
Friends Coming to Netflix in January 2015; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 20, 2014)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
ethelmaepotter
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 03, 2005
Posts: 242
Default Here Is The Deal With Betty White & Bea Arthur

I've seen so much crapola online about the relationship between Betty White & Bea Arthur, I wanted to clear some things up because I knew both ladies, but was closer to Betty White. Because I am closer to Betty, do not assume this is a one-sided statement of the facts. It is simply a statement of the facts:

1. Betty White and Bea Arthur detested each other. The dislike began even before "The Golden Girls" as they both knew each other somewhat, having similar friends and connections.

2. You must understand both Betty & Bea have their good qualities, but both are women who have spent decades in something called show business, which makes you a cold, hard pissed off MF...if you know what I mean. Every major star harbors bitterness at things that have happened to them in this business, losing out on good parts, getting smaller paychecks than they should have, etc.

3. Betty White is not purely innocent. And Bea Arthur was one tough old broad with an acid tongue. She was frank and honest, sometimes not at the right times.

4. Finally, here is the biggie: Betty and Bea were really the big-name stars when Golden Girls began. No one heard of Estelle Getty and Rue had been on Maude, but hardly a household name. While there was a lot of behind the scenes that went on that I won't get into, Bea Arthur was officially labeled the star of "The Golden Girls"...NOT Betty White. Bea was considered the only star because Bea received a percentage of the series profits in syndication, even after her terms of residuals as an actress had ran out. Betty did not have the same deal. Thus, tremendous resentment grew between the actresses. And, both Bea and Betty had similar names for each other.

That is the story. They hated each other out of the gate and it grew and grew. Also, for the first couple of years, Bea was less than kind to Estelle and Rue was withdrawn mostly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.
 
Marvo301's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17, 2002
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 17,815
Cool

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's too bad these ladies couldn't have found a way to get along with each other but I guess that's just how life is sometimes.
__________________
Only a life lived for others is worth living. Alfred Einstein

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
andress_jade
Moderator
I Dream of Jeannie 4-ever!
 
andress_jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 04, 2004
Location: Fredonia, KS wishing I was with Tony and Jeannie in Cocoa Beach!
Posts: 966
Send a message via MSN to andress_jade Send a message via Yahoo to andress_jade
Default

I find that hard to believe but you did say that you knew Betty personally. The reason why I find that hard to believe was that on the last episode when Bea left, they were all very sad and they all cried. Not just onscreen but offscreen as well. The tears we saw were real tears. That didn't look like the tears of someone who hated the person who was leaving.
After Bea's death, there was an article written about her death and Rue and Betty's reactions to it. Both Rue and Betty were devastated with Bea's death, again it didn't sound like someone who hated the person who died.
I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just saying what I have seen and what you have said and they don't match at all.
I was a big fan of the Golden Girls and to me, I never got the impression that they didn't get along. Even in the blooper reel, they got along.
Bea and Betty always seemed the best of friends to me. I don't think I could work that closely with someone I didn't like for so long. I have worked with someone I didn't like and finally had to quit. If Bea and Betty really hated each other that much, one or the other would have left before there was ever a seventh season. Just my observation.
__________________
In memory of: John Ritter, Hayden Rorke, Sidney Sheldon, Bob Denver, Don Knotts, Andy Griffith, Elizabeth Montgomery, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Angell, Christopher Reeve, Shirley Temple Black, Larry Hagman and Lucille Ball.

Golden Girls fan 4-ever!

Dr. Quinn fan 4-ever!

I Niles and Daphne!

John and Marlena 4-ever!

I Dream of Jeannie fan!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
angel676
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 09, 2000
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 2,475
Default

I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Benny JR
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 14, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andress_jade
I find that hard to believe but you did say that you knew Betty personally. The reason why I find that hard to believe was that on the last episode when Bea left, they were all very sad and they all cried. Not just onscreen but offscreen as well. The tears we saw were real tears. That didn't look like the tears of someone who hated the person who was leaving.
After Bea's death, there was an article written about her death and Rue and Betty's reactions to it. Both Rue and Betty were devastated with Bea's death, again it didn't sound like someone who hated the person who died.
I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, I am just saying what I have seen and what you have said and they don't match at all.
I was a big fan of the Golden Girls and to me, I never got the impression that they didn't get along. Even in the blooper reel, they got along.
Bea and Betty always seemed the best of friends to me. I don't think I could work that closely with someone I didn't like for so long. I have worked with someone I didn't like and finally had to quit. If Bea and Betty really hated each other that much, one or the other would have left before there was ever a seventh season. Just my observation.

TOTALLY agree with what you just said! I never got the impression that they did not get along and I wonder how this person 'knows' Betty White?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Benny JR
Frequent Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 14, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel676
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???

Well said! My question is how does the person who started this thread 'know' Betty White exactly? What was it, a chance meeting with her years ago, a fan letter, what?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
ratherbwatchinGG
Frequent Poster
Member
 
ratherbwatchinGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel676
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???

Precisley..not only for the first five years but agree to another two. I can't say that they were the best of friends no one has to be to work together but I can't quite believe the hatred was so strong there. Bea's contract was up after 5 years and she extended it another 2...why do that if the feelings are so strong? I know I couldn't that...no matter how sweet the deal.
__________________
--------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Scoobiedoo30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 27, 2002
Location: KENNER, LOUISIANA
Posts: 27,398
Default

Yes Thanks for shareing
__________________
Who Dat
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Zoneboy
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
 
Zoneboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 13, 2003
Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Posts: 26,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelmaepotter
I've seen so much crapola online about the relationship between Betty White & Bea Arthur, I wanted to clear some things up because I knew both ladies, but was closer to Betty White. Because I am closer to Betty, do not assume this is a one-sided statement of the facts. It is simply a statement of the facts:

How can you claim to know and be as close to Betty White as you say you are when a year ago you stated in another post that you had a friend who was a friend of Betty's?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...01#post3966401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelmaepotter
I just have to say that I have a friend who is a friend of Betty White's. Awhile back, she signed my copy of the first season DVD of The Golden Girls and I had a chance to meet with her. I will tell you, for a woman her age, she is as bright and vivacious as ever. I have always adored Betty White and meeting her just makes me love her more. I have met many celebrities in my life, having worked in entertainment for a long time, and most of them are huge disappointments. However, meeting Betty White and a few years back, Carol Burnett, was a privilege and an honor.


This post which was made about a year ago and your current one seem to contradict each other. Just because you met Betty White and had your dvd signed doesn't mean you actually know and are close to the woman and from the way you've tried to "clear things up" as you put it, You're speaking as though you've known her for years. In that post you said that you had a chance to meet with her, You said nothing about knowing her personally nor being close to her. There's a big difference between meeting a person and actually being close to them and it's no different with a celebrity.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelmaepotter
Finally, here is the biggie: Betty and Bea were really the big-name stars when Golden Girls began.

No biggie there, That's common knowledge to anyone that watched the show.
__________________
I'm as broken-up inside as if it's been a week or so. Takes a mighty long time to get a real love off your mind I know, I've tried since fifteen years ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
shipoopi
Frequent Poster
Member
 
shipoopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2005
Posts: 83
Default She was my friend too!

I took a picture of Betty White in January 1993 while she was the "Star of the Day" at the Disney-MGM Studios daily parade.

She was looking away as she approached my position, so I screamed at the top of my lungs: "BETTY!" She whipped around to see what the hell was the matter and that's when I took her picture.

When the film was developed I had captured a great baffled look on her face - priceless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend
Member
 
Stuck In The '70's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Behind the Couch
Posts: 58,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
How can you claim to know and be as close to Betty White as you say you are when a year ago you stated in another post that you had a friend who was a friend of Betty's?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...01#post3966401




This post which was made about a year ago and your current one seem to contradict each other. Just because you met Betty White and had your dvd signed doesn't mean you actually know and are close to the woman and from the way you've tried to "clear things up" as you put it, You're speaking as though you've known her for years. In that post you said that you had a chance to meet with her, You said nothing about knowing her personally nor being close to her. There's a big difference between meeting a person and actually being close to them and it's no different with a celebrity.







No biggie there, That's common knowledge to anyone that watched the show.
Great find Charles. I had a hard time believing this person anyway. As some others said, why would they even consider working with each other if they hated each other so much. All the time that the GG aired, I never heard of any backstage feud. They might not have been close but I find it hard to believe there was so much hate between them. And of course they were the big name stars on the show. I knew Rue McClanahan from Maude and Mama's Family but she wasn't as big of a name at the time. I never even heard of Estelle Getty before.
__________________
Sonny
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
mattc
Forum Regular
Member
 
mattc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 16, 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 273
Default

This is bogus for sure. I read Rue's autobiography, and she mentions that their relationship (Betty and Bea's) was not "what I would have liked," but she did say that Bea and Betty had lunch together everyday, and that there was no resentment on the set.

Also, when you watch the bloopers vid of GG, you can see Bea and Betty laughing with each other, and at one point, Bea laughs and leans on Betty's lap.. hardly the type of action of two people who "detest" each other.

My gut instinct, after watching interviews with both ladies, is that Bea has an ego, and did not like that Betty won the emmy first (something even Rue admitted in her book), and was nominated every year. Bea also didn't like that she was the the last one to win the emmy. Rue has stated in interviews that Bea was used to being the star of a show (maude), and this makes me feel that she was annoyed that GG was an ensemble.

Obviously Bea is incredibly talented, but it sort of sucks to hear this stuff, as it really does come off that Bea was an arrogant entertainer who felt shafted at times and was into being "the lead" of the show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
ratherbwatchinGG
Frequent Poster
Member
 
ratherbwatchinGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 06, 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 97
Default

I wouldn't put much into what Rue says either. I know she was there but she also says in one of her interviews that the reason Maude ended was that SHE was offered a show. If Bea was used to being the star of the show why stay with GG for 7 years?

It's been said many times over that Bea was terribly shy and very sensitive (not lending much credence to being very arrogant). What Bea was, was brutally honest. There may or may not have been a queeze in their relationship but the only people who can say are Bea and Betty. Bea can no longer say and Betty is not saying.

I'm sure not winning an emmy hurts, especially when you feel you have put your best work forward. Seeing your colleagues win can be a bit unsettling for anyone with any type of personality or ego. BTW - we all have egos!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
tunameltd
Occasional Poster
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 7
Default Bea Arthur....final interview

With all the wonderful things Miss Arthur has done in her life, wouldn't it be great to see her final interview, in HER OWN WORDS talking about her career etc.

I found this clip of Bea Arthur's final interview. The clip also show Betty White, Carol Channing and Phyllis Diller.

We need to contact Merv Griffin Productions and see if entire interview will be aired. An email that was given to me was:

roy_bank@griffingroup.com


I'd hate for an full interview with Bea or the other legendary ladies in the clip to go unseen.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTi7rsk3GY
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel676
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???

$$$

Money talks.

And they needed a job.

Do you get along with everyone you work with?
__________________
"Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."
  Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.