Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Chocoholic
Banned!!
Forum Veteran
Banned

Cool Were you ever forbidden from watching certain shows as a kid?

My parents limited my TV time when I was a kid, but I don't remember being told I wasn't allowed to watch a certain TV show. Of course, I did grow up in the 80's with one TV in the house and no cable.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Not really - I just wanted to stay up and watch more TV but they were pretty strict about bedtime.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

There were certain shows I couldn't watch because it was past bedtime, I usually went to bed around 10 when I was 7 or 8. I became a fan of 1970's and 1980's dramas through syndication because they were on past my bedtime when they originally aired: Charlie's Angels, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Dallas, Dukes of Hazzard.

There were a lot of sitcoms that my parents would watch with me: Happy Days, Three's Company, Golden Girls, The Jeffersons, etc.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
browneyes106

My parents weren't really strict about the stuff I watched. There were some stuff on MTV that they didn't like but once I was 11 they pretty much let me watch whatever I wanted. I had a friends whose parents didn't let them watch Roseanne and Beavis&Butthead
Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

Not Really
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
factsoflife

Well my parents were really odd about what i was and wasn't allowed to watch... until i was like 14 i wasn't allowed to watch "Roseanne", "The Simpsons", "Married With Children" or anything on MTV. However i was allowed to watch daytime soap operas, "Melrose Place" and "Beverly Hills, 90210" with my mother, we also watched "Knot's Landing" together. So it was strange. I also remember not being allowed to watch "In Living Color" because my parents thought it was "too mature".

But when i turned 14 my parents decided i was old enough to decide for myself what i was allowed to watch. Their only strict rule was bedtime, when i was younger i had to be in bed by 730 or 8oo, except on weekends when my bedtime was 930. But by age 14 my bedtime was moved to 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends.

I was allowed to watch whatever i wanted and was told that if i didn't understand something to ask them about it... They were fair parents, if they thought something was too mature they explained things to me.

The funny thing is most of those shows that they didn't let me watch are shows that to this day i won't watch. I guess they biased me in my head. Although i did end up watching a lot of MTV shows and still enjoy "Roseanne" i never got into MWC, The Simpsons or In Living Color.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Send a message via AIM to Liza

My parents were very over-protective when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to watch "Those weird yellow cartoons with foul mouths" (The Simpsons), "That twisted pervert's home" (Pee-Wee's Playhouse), or "Those spoiled teenagers" (Saved by the Bell).

Of course my brother (who's 8 years younger) could watch anything he wanted
Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Send a message via AIM to Liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Well my parents were really odd about what i was and wasn't allowed to watch... until i was like 14 i wasn't allowed to watch "Roseanne", "The Simpsons", "Married With Children" or anything on MTV. However i was allowed to watch daytime soap operas, "Melrose Place" and "Beverly Hills, 90210" with my mother, we also watched "Knot's Landing" together. So it was strange.

Get out! I always thought I was the only one who wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons! Every other kid in class was talking about it, and I had nothing to contribute I was so left out!

But on the other hand, my mother was a huge Stephen King fan. I saw The Shining and It when I was in elementary school. And Alfred Hitchcock was a distant cousin of ours, so I saw Psycho and The Birds when I was far, far too young

That's right, my parents objected to this:
Name:  simpson.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  28.3 KB

Not this:

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
steevo
It is Green

My parents weren't strict about my TV viewing as much as they were about my bedtime. The one exception was a movie called "Something About Amelia". My mother made it very clear she did not want me to see it because of its incest theme.

Movies were another matter, however. I didn't even see my first R-rated movie until I was 13.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Tubehead

Default show coudnt watch as a kid

My dad wouldn't let us watch the simpsion or whos line is it any way?. cause he didn't like drew carry me and my brother watched it any way. we watch the simpsion for a while then theygot dirty so we couldn't watch them,.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubehead
My dad wouldn't let us watch the simpsion or whos line is it any way?. cause he didn't like drew carry me and my brother watched it any way. we watch the simpsion for a while then theygot dirty so we couldn't watch them,.

I distinctly remember a few shows during my childhood that were supposed very "adult", but I was allowed to watch them all, God bless my folks. Oddly enough (unlike today's "mature" humor which has more to do with scatological and sexual "envelope pushing" and nothing whatsoever to do with truly "adult" themes), they were all quality shows; "All in the Family", "Hot L Baltimore", "Soap" and "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman."
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

I don't remember any shows that I wasn't allowed to watch, but I do remember having to go to bed at 10pm when the news came on.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #13
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

My parents weren't stict about what I watched, then again when I grew up everything was family friendly. The only iffy shows at the time were All In The Family and Maude.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
Get out! I always thought I was the only one who wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons! Every other kid in class was talking about it, and I had nothing to contribute I was so left out!

There was a time my parents wouldn't let my family watch The Simpsons for the 1st 4 years, b/c of me getting in trouble for saying "Eat My Shorts."

But ironically, my folks let us watch Married with Children them.

And also I too had a strict curfew w/ staying up late, even though I still sometimes stayed up late to watch Johnny Carson and a lot of other shows that aired late nights on my Fridays and early Saturdays off during my Pre-School and 2nd grade years.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

I wasn't allowed to watch Murder She Wrote.