Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

truTV Gets 2nd Season of Tacoma FD; I'm Sorry Gets Season 3 on truTV
NBC Fall 2019 Premiere Dates; The CW Fall 2019 Premiere Dates
Netflix Gets Funny with Pranks with Stranger Things Star; Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba Series Gets 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 17, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fall Premiere Dates for CBS; CBS and Viacom in Merger Talks Yet Again
Fri-Yay: Reaction to The Good Place Ending; Antenna TV Brings Back Webster, What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!!
New Chip 'n' Dale Coming to Disney+ in 2020; Inside the Actors Studio Moves to Ovation and Starts with Sitcom-Themed Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June)

Evening Shade - The Complete Collection Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two

04/02 - Archer: Danger Island - The Complete Season Nine
04/09 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fifth Season
04/12 - Evening Shade - The Complete Collection
04/16 - The Big C - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Location: I'm just a slightly overweight boy from Cleveland Ohio!
Unhappy Dom DeLuise...dead at 75. :(

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Dom DeLuise, the portly actor-comedian whose affable nature made him a popular character actor for decades with movie and TV audiences as well as directors and fellow actors, has died. He was 75.

DeLuise died Monday night, son Michael DeLuise told KTLA-TV and radio station KNX on Tuesday. The comedian died in his sleep after a long illness. Calls to his agent were not immediately returned.

The actor, who loved to cook and eat almost as much as he enjoyed acting, also carved out a formidable second career later in life as a chef of fine cuisine. He authored two cookbooks and would appear often on morning TV shows to whip up his favorite recipes.

As an actor, he was incredibly prolific, appearing in scores of movies and TV shows, in Broadway plays and voicing characters for numerous cartoon shows.

Writer-director-actor Mel Brooks particularly admired DeLuise's talent for offbeat comedy and cast him in several of his films, including "The Twelve Chairs," "Blazing Saddles," "Silent Movie," "History of the World Part I" and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights." DeLuise was also the voice of Pizza the Hutt in Brooks' "Star Wars" parody, "Spaceballs."

The actor also appeared frequently in films opposite his friend Burt Reynolds. Among them, "The End," "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," 'Smokey and the Bandit II," "The Cannonball Run" and "Cannonball Run II."

Another actor-friend, Dean Martin, admired his comic abilities so much that he cast DeLuise as a regular on his 1960s comedy-variety show. In 1973, he starred in a situation comedy, "Lotsa Luck," but it proved to be short-lived.

Other TV credits included appearances on such shows as "The Munsters," "The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.," "Burke's Law," "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" and "Diagnosis Murder."

On Broadway, DeLuise appeared in Neil Simon's "Last of the Red Hot Lovers" and other plays.

Because of his passion for food, the actor battled obesity throughout much of his life, his weight reaching as much as 325 pounds at one point. For years, he resisted the efforts of family members and doctors who tried to put him on various diets. He finally agreed in 1993 when he needed hip replacement surgery and his doctor refused to perform it until he lost 100 pounds.

He and his family enrolled at the Duke University Diet and Fitness Center in Durham, N.C., and DeLuise lost enough weight for the surgery, although he gained some of it back afterward.

On the positive side, his love of food resulted in two successful cookbooks, 1988's "Eat This — It Will Make You Feel Better!" and 1997's "Eat This Too! It'll Also Make You Feel Good."

At his Pacific Palisades home, DeLuise often prepared feasts for family and friends. One lunch began with turkey soup and ended with strawberry shortcake. In between, were platters of beef filet, chicken breast and sausage, a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs and a saucer of lettuce.

He strongly resembled the famed chef Paul Prudhomme and joked in a 1987 Associated Press interview that he had posed as Prudhomme while visiting his New Orleans restaurant, K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen.

DeLuise was appearing on Broadway in "Here's Love" in the early 1960s when Garry Moore saw him and hired him to play the magician "Dominick the Great" on "The Garry Moore Show."

His appearances on the hit comedy-variety program brought offers from Hollywood, and DeLuise first came to the attention of movie-goers in "Fail Safe," a drama starring Henry Fonda. He followed with a comedy, "The Glass Bottom Boat," starring Doris Day, and from then on he alternated between films and television.

"I was making $7,000 a week — a lot of money back then — but I didn't even know I was rich," he recalled in 1994. "I was just having such a great time."

He was born Dominick DeLuise in New York City on Aug. 1, 1933, to Italian immigrants. His father, who spoke only Italian, was a garbage collector, and those humble beginnings stayed with him throughout his life.

"My dad knows everything there is to know about garbage," one of the actor's sons, David DeLuise, told The Associated Press in 2008. "He loves to pick up a broken chair and fix it."

DeLuise's introduction to acting came at age 8 when he played the title role of Peter Rabbit in a school play. He went on to graduate from New York City's famed School of Performing Arts in Manhattan.

For five years, he sought work in theater or television with little luck. He finally decided to enroll at Tufts College and study biology, with the aim of becoming a teacher.

Acting called him back, however, and he found work at the Cleveland Playhouse, appearing in stage productions that ranged from comedies such as "Kiss Me Kate" to Shakespeare's "Hamlet."

"I worked two years solidly on plays and moving furniture and painting scenery and playing parts," he remarked in a 2006 interview. "It was quite an amazing learning place for me."

While working in summer stock in Provincetown, Mass., he met a beautiful young actress, Carol Arthur, and they were soon married.

The couple's three sons, Peter, Michael and David, all became actors and all appeared with their father in the 1990s TV series "SeaQuestDSV," in which Peter and Michael were regulars.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Janice
Hollywood Swingin'
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Unhappy Rest in Peace, Dom DeLuise

How sad. He was a sweetheart of a man, always happy and smiling. He's cooking in Heaven now.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
browneyes106

RIP Dom DeLuise
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
LuLu Rogers
Colonel Brandon
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape
LuLu Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Nighthawk76
Rachel Berry
Forum Veteran

As a tribute to Dom, I have Jeremy the Crow (voice by Dom) from The Secret of NIMH (on of my all time favs) as my avatar.
Nighthawk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
LuLu Rogers
Colonel Brandon
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking Up Laughing
As a tribute to Dom, I have Jeremy the Crow (voice by Dom) from The Secret of NIMH (on of my all time favs) as my avatar.

Gotta love Jeremy, especially when he's all tied up in the string and the little mouse says, "Poor turkey"
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Nighthawk76
Rachel Berry
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu Rogers
Gotta love Jeremy, especially when he's all tied up in the string and the little mouse says, "Poor turkey"
Yeah
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
phoebe7165
Pop Culture Goddess
Forum Veteran

Unhappy

Wow, I was so sad to hear about Dom's passing. I love so many of the movies he was in!! I just watched "History of the World Part 1" a couple weeks ago(which also had Bea Arthur in it!).

On Entertainment Tonight, they said he was married to his wife for 43 years!!

His close friend, Burt Reynolds, said that he was such a warm person, and he never said a mean thing about anybody.

Dom

Rescued animals make the best pets. Opt to Adopt!!
phoebe7165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

The first time I ever saw Dom was in an early 1970's sitcom called Lotsa Luck. I loved that show even though it didn't last long. Since then I've followed his career. I Loved him in the movie "The End." R.I.P. Dom.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu Rogers
God bless him - what a funny actor and sweet man. I also loved him as Jeremy the crow along with Mrs. Brisby (Frisby in the book), voiced by the late, great Elizabeth Hartman. May they both .

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Nighthawk76
Rachel Berry
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
God bless him - what a funny actor and sweet man. I also loved him as Jeremy the crow along with Mrs. Brisby (Frisby in the book), voiced by the late, great Elizabeth Hartman. May they both .

Elizabeth's story is a very sad one.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

It's a very sad story. I can really relate to her as I am a native Ohioan, like Elizabeth (she was born and raised in Youngstown, closer to Akron than Cleveland, but not that far away) and she also dealt with serious depression issues that led to her jumping out a 5th floor window to her death in 1987. I highly recommend watching her first major screen role, A Patch of Blue. Great movie, with an awesome soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith!! Here are some pictures of her:
Attached Images

catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
Nighthawk76
Rachel Berry
Forum Veteran

Quote:
It's a very sad story. I can really relate to her as I am a native Ohioan, like Elizabeth (she was born and raised in Youngstown, closer to Akron than Cleveland, but not that far away) and she also dealt with serious depression issues that led to her jumping out a 5th floor window to her death in 1987. I highly recommend watching her first major screen role, A Patch of Blue. Great movie, with an awesome soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith!! Here are some pictures of her:
Oh, I've seen A Patch Of Blue. You are right, it's very good.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
LuLu Rogers
Colonel Brandon
Forum Veteran

Her death is so sad. She died June 10, 1987, 5 days before I was born
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
I love that movie. She was also in 2 other movies I love....The original Walking Tall and The Beguiled.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote