Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs
Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

Default Don Kemp Unexplained Death

I'm sure most of you remember the weird case of Don Kemp from 1982 who's SUV was found abandoned out in the Wyoming prairie, it's doors open, engine running and his clothes scattered all over the highway. But Don Kemp was no where to be found! Four years after Don's disappearance his body was found just a few miles from where his blazer was abandoned. The sheriff believes that Don froze to death in a blizzard 3 days after he was lost. Don was an advertising executive in New York City until he became disabled in a car accident. After his recovery he decided to move away, so he sold everything he owned and drove west. His destination was Jackson Hole WY, where he was planning to write a book about Abraham Lincoln's assassination. The day before he disappeared Don was last seen at a museum in Cheyenne. The next day is when the highway patrol came upon Don's abandoned car. The first question is why would Don leave his vehicle out in the middle of nowhere? It was 40 miles from any town, running, his stuff strewn about everywhere, and the doors open. The trooper commented that it was a relatively new vehicle, not one that someone was just leave like that. Everyone seemed to think that Don wandered off, but why would anyone want to wander around out in the prairie in the middle of winter. Some of Don's belongings were located later that day in a duffle bag. Don's mother seems to think he was abducted. Apparently there were sightings of Don after he went missing and also some mysterious phone calls. He was sighted 150 miles away in Casper, WY 5 months after he disappeared someone remembered Don in a tavern. Also one of Don's friends apparently received messages on her answering machine from him asking her to call him back and a phone number. She called, but was told that Don was not there. The telephone records show that the calls came from a trailer in Casper, but the man who was renting the trailer said he never made or had no knowledge of the phone calls! I think either Don was there and he lied about it or maybe the woman had the phone number wrong. If Don was abducted how was he able to make phone calls from the trailer? Too many things about this case don't add up!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I don't believe he went anywhere...I think he was either disoriented or stopped off to take a leak and then got disoriented, wandered away from his vehicle and died in the blizzard. How his socks got elsewhere...I can't explain that unless perhaps someone went through his things in his vehicle after he was gone. I don't believe the phone calls or the sightings.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
yuppielawyer
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
I don't believe he went anywhere...I think he was either disoriented or stopped off to take a leak and then got disoriented, wandered away from his vehicle and died in the blizzard. How his socks got elsewhere...I can't explain that unless perhaps someone went through his things in his vehicle after he was gone. I don't believe the phone calls or the sightings.
Yeah, I agree. I've always wondered if, maybe, there was something wrong with his car, and he was getting slowly poisoned by carbon monoxide. Didn't that happen in another case on UM?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppielawyer
Yeah, I agree. I've always wondered if, maybe, there was something wrong with his car, and he was getting slowly poisoned by carbon monoxide. Didn't that happen in another case on UM?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the death of Kenneth Engie, the Edmore, ND auto mechanic. One of the possible (and most likely, IMO) theories there was that Engie had driven his truck into his (unventilated) garage after a "brawl" with a friend over a barmaid, gotten out of his vehicle without turning off the ignition, and passed out on the floor, intoxicated, before he could reach the door.

Go Vols!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the death of Kenneth Engie, the Edmore, ND auto mechanic. One of the possible (and most likely, IMO) theories there was that Engie had driven his truck into his (unventilated) garage after a "brawl" with a friend over a barmaid, gotten out of his vehicle without turning off the ignition, and passed out on the floor, intoxicated, before he could reach the door.

No, yuppie's right. I can't remember the man's name, but there was a man who's car was slowly leaking carbon monoxide. His car was found working but abandoned on a highway, and he had written a lot of notes in the margins of his Bible that he left in the car. They theorized that the carbon monoxide poisoning may have disoriented him and he wandered off.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
yuppielawyer
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
No, yuppie's right. I can't remember the man's name, but there was a man who's car was slowly leaking carbon monoxide. His car was found working but abandoned on a highway, and he had written a lot of notes in the margins of his Bible that he left in the car. They theorized that the carbon monoxide poisoning may have disoriented him and he wandered off.
Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of. The guy was apparently showing up at homeless shelters, not really knowing who he was. His mother and sister, I think, came to get his car, and they noticed something wrong, and when the took the car to a mechanic, it was discovered that there was some defect that was causing carbon monoxide to leak into the passenger compartment of the car.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppielawyer
Yes, that's the one I'm thinking of. The guy was apparently showing up at homeless shelters, not really knowing who he was. His mother and sister, I think, came to get his car, and they noticed something wrong, and when the took the car to a mechanic, it was discovered that there was some defect that was causing carbon monoxide to leak into the passenger compartment of the car.

Oh, yes. I had almost completely forgotten about that one; I saw "carbon monoxide" and ran with the first thing that came to mind. Sorry, guys!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
justins5256

Sounds like the Dan Wilson case. IIRC, his remains were found several years later not too far from his vehicle. It was theorized that he became disoriented and wandered off. The sightings of Dan at the homeless shelters must have been erroneous.

EDIT: The victim's name was Dan Wilson. I originally typed Dan Short.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
justins5256

I have posted my thoughts before on the Don Kemp case. I think he wandered off and died, possibly in that blizzard that hit the area in the days after his vehicle was recovered.

Crystaldawn and I were discussing the case in depth recently and she suggested something interesting I hadn't before considered. In the segment, Burr mentioned that Don had been in a debilitating motor vehicle accident in the years before his disappearance and death. His family even talked about how Don seemed to become disillusioned with his affluent lifestyle after this incident.

Perhaps Don was suffering from some type of mental illness after that earlier car accident. Something that he saw or an experience he had while on the road in Wyoming may have triggered flashbacks of the earlier accident causing him to have a mental break or to become disoriented. A similar theory was proposed in the Kristi Krebs case.

The phone calls are the strangest aspect of this story by far. They were made allegedly by Don four months after his car was found and in a town hundreds of miles away. Phone records verified that the calls did come from a trailer home, but the trailer's owner denied making the calls and said he didn't notice the charges on the bills.

It would be easy to dismiss the calls as a prank of some sort except for two issues. First, they were received by a friend of Don's. How a prankster would have gotten this person's number is questionable. Second, answer machine messages were left, and the friend claimed she recognized the voice as Don's. In one instance, she returned the call, and the person who answered the phone said that Don wasn't home at the time.

While the calls are intriguing, if we are to believe that they were made by Don Kemp then we have to accept that he somehow staged his disappearance, or was abducted from the area where his Jeep was found. He was taken to the city of Casper, Wyoming and lived for at least four months after his car was recovered. He possibly lived with the man in the trailer. He made some phone calls during this time. Then, he either died, or was murdered, and his body was transported back to the area where he disappeared from originally. A very incredible scenario if it's true.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Hmm, I must say I agree Justin. The chances are Don Kemp for reasons unknown disappeared on his own accord. I also agree it is highly probable that Don Kemp suffered from post traumatic stress disorder and some sort of other emotional/mental illness. It seems Don's mother was determined to believe he was murdered for some reason. I mean you would have to believe that not only was Don either kidnapped or disappeared on his own accord but that he somehow made it to Casper, Wyoming, lived there for months on end yet somehow showed up dead only three miles from where his vehicle was abandoned. Plus all the other clues, you would have to believe the sticks and socks were all staged, that somehow the shoe prints in the snow were planted there by some unknown person. No, in my opinion this was a natural albeit bizarre death. Hey Justin, did you get my pm?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
justins5256

Kadrmas - No, please resend. thx.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

The thing that doesn't make sense to me though is that how could the searchers overlooked Don's body when it was only about 3 miles away from his SUV? They searched that area very thoroughly a few days after Don went missing and found nothing. I just don't think Don's body was out there at that time. Plus, he was seen at a museum the day before his disappearence and wasn't noticed to be acting funny or anything. Too many things about this case just don't add up in my opinion!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissd
The thing that doesn't make sense to me though is that how could the searchers overlooked Don's body when it was only about 3 miles away from his SUV? They searched that area very thoroughly a few days after Don went missing and found nothing. I just don't think Don's body was out there at that time. Plus, he was seen at a museum the day before his disappearence and wasn't noticed to be acting funny or anything. Too many things about this case just don't add up in my opinion!

The fact that his body wasn't immediately recovered means nothing. The area was hit by a blizzard three days after his vehicle was recovered and the search was halted - it may have even been called off entirely after the storm, I can't remember. There was also some evidence that suggested he may have been trying to evade the searchers. He could have been hiding out on day 2 of the search, and tried to make his way back to his vehicle on day 3 and collapsed in the snow. There is no way to know, but just because they missed his body in a huge territory doesn't mean it wasn't there. His evasive actions seem to fit with the mental break theory too. He could have been paranoid.

If he suffered a stroke or a mental break while on the road in Wyoming he may not have necessarily been showing signs before that anyone would have noticed.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
TheCars1986

Yeah I think there is too much stake being put into the circumstantial evidence surrounding this case...the guy obviously was not all there, wandered off and died from exposure.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
ForensicRuth
Occasional Poster

you must have been reading my mind. i saw that one the other day and thought it was so strange. i also thought it strange about the calls in that trailer. that's no accident. i always thought the trailer should've been checked out if possible (maybe even in a slick way). or the call could've been traced to make sure that was the right number, something more should've been done.