Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons
Antenna TV January 2018 Schedule Includes Gimme a Break! and Coach; Pop Launches Wednesday Comedies in January

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

Default racism in Happy Day

I wanted to discuss with you a little about how it is addressing the issue of racism in Happy Day, to you as you think?

I could not help but notice some things about the racism at the early'50-'60

There are some episodes where we talk about racism but I have noticed one thing in the series.

in the early seasons are all white and if there is a person of color then the episode is about racism.

but if you're careful, very careful, from the 6th season on notice that in the scene where many people appear (eg Arnold's) happen to see people of color.

an example, in the first season in the class of Richie and co. are all white.

un'episodio but in the 6th season in Richie's class at least one student of color.

even in recent seasons, we see that racism is now much diminished, to be noted that, for example, Chachi is not racist (one of his best friends, Tommy, which appears in some scenes on the season 8-11. is color)

probably because the first 5 seasons are set between the'55-'59 while the last of the'59-'65, in the'60s now racism had decreased compared to the'50s.

if you are careful, the wedding of Joanie and Chachi are all white except for one, Tommy

I have noticed this, for you is a right?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Yes, I've noticed and they pretty much handled it with reality. Back then it was "rare" to have more than one or two students in a class with whites. As the 60s progressed, it was more and more common to have more included (thankfully).

It was the same in hollywood in general. Roles for blacks were mainly either as housekeepers, maids, butlers, or musicians. Slowly, they were put in more and more leading roles (Sidney Portier for example).

Talk about a turnaround. Whenever I see classrooms on the news now (locally), the majority of students are of colour and whites are in the minority.

What is it like in Italy - is it the same way as here in North America?

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
wayne

If you remember the episode with Sticks the drummer, the gang took on the racism factor head on. Especially with Fonzie and Ritchie. I also saw a black in the audience in Fonzie's baptism. So it sounds like they tried to break the barrier but it was the 70's and there probably was still plenty of racism. not that there is none now but political correctness hasn't helped in my humble opinion.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
What is it like in Italy - is it the same way as here in North America?

I assume that is in but America there are definitely, infinitely more men of color.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi'88
I assume that is in but America there are definitely, infinitely more men of color.

I thought that was the case. Oddly, there don't seem to be that many of colour who immigrate to Italy.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne
If you remember the episode with Sticks the drummer, the gang took on the racism factor head on. Especially with Fonzie and Ritchie. I also saw a black in the audience in Fonzie's baptism. So it sounds like they tried to break the barrier but it was the 70's and there probably was still plenty of racism. not that there is none now but political correctness hasn't helped in my humble opinion.

Yah, I was going to mention that ep with Sticks at the country club. I could really relate because the drummer in my brother's band at the time was black. Like Ritchie and Fonzie we thought nothing of it and would have fought for him if there had ever been a racist "banning" of him anywhere.

I noticed how they made the two most respected characters on the show (Ritchie and Fonz) to be the ones who weren't the least bit predudice. It was good because it showed kids that it was actually "cool" NOT to be bigoted.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

There's another episode that focused on racism, 'Southern Crossing' in Season 9. Fonzie and Al travel to the southern U.S. to participate in the civil rights protest. The restaurants down there at the time were segragated by race. I actually liked this episode better than the earlier racism episode in Season 3.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Dawn
There's another episode that focused on racism, 'Southern Crossing' in Season 9. Fonzie and Al travel to the southern U.S. to participate in the civil rights protest. The restaurants down there at the time were segragated by race. I actually liked this episode better than the earlier racism episode in Season 3.
even that is a beautiful episode.

you know I would like to deepen the friend of color of Chachi, Tommy
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Dawn
there was also an episode in the first season that was focused on racism - #14- The Best Man, Howard invites his old army buddy Fred Washington to get married in the Cunninghams' home and the neighbors are not too happy when they find out that it is an African-American couple .
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

there have also been a few black characters on the show where they didn't make a big deal about it - but they weren't really big characters:

- one of the contestants in the Howdy Doody episode was a black kid (Howdy Doody says "wow, he's a dead ringer")

- in Spunky Come Home , it is a black kid named Wilbur that finds and tries to keep Fonzie's dog

- in Fonzie for the Defence, Fonzie is on the jury for a trial where a black guy is accused of stealing a woman's purse, there is an element of racism in this episode, some of the jury members assume that the defendant is guilty just be cause he is black, but Fonzie proves them wrong.

- in #184 - Tall Story Fonzie tries to talk a man into letting his son with epilepsy play on the basketball team, they were far too busy with the epilepsy message to worry that John was black
Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
Chachi'88
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob

- in Spunky Come Home , it is a black kid named Wilbur that finds and tries to keep Fonzie's dog

- in Fonzie for the Defence, Fonzie is on the jury for a trial where a black guy is accused of stealing a woman's purse, there is an element of racism in this episode, some of the jury members assume that the defendant is guilty just be cause he is black, but Fonzie proves them wrong.

- in #184 - Tall Story Fonzie tries to talk a man into letting his son with epilepsy play on the basketball team, they were far too busy with the epilepsy message to worry that John was black

I recalled them both, i love Tall Story.

Spunky Come Home not remember the character of color but now you have reminded me, thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
there was also an episode in the first season that was focused on racism - #14- The Best Man, Howard invites his old army buddy Fred Washington to get married in the Cunninghams' home and the neighbors are not too happy when they find out that it is an African-American couple .
I alwas thought that was ironic. In the "Love American Style" pilot, Howard is shocked when he finds "a colored man" in his living room. The writers probably forgot all about that bit.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I always liked what Fonzie said in the episode where Howard's black army buddy was getting married, "I'll take a cool black guy over an uncool white guy. And vice versa, if you get my drift."

I liked the message - it's not about a person's color, it's about who they are inside.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
nectarsis
Occasional Poster

Besides the fact that both real world (70's) and show setting (50's) were still pretty racist, it's also set in a city LONG known for (VERY sadly) being very segregated.

Also you have to consider the demographic this show was aimed at (nostalgic white families missing their :good old days"), etc.