Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Rhoda links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Rhoda Photo Gallery

Rhoda - Season One

Buy Rhoda - Season One on DVD
Rhoda - Season Two

Buy Rhoda - Season Two on DVD
Rhoda - Season Three

Buy Rhoda - Season Three on DVD
Rhoda - Season Four

Buy Rhoda - Season Four on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Rhoda
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Rhoda - Season One DVD Review

“My name is Rhoda Morgenstern. I was born in the Bronx, New York in December 1941.” That was how Valerie Harper began every single episode of the first season of Rhoda, the first spinoff of the popular 1970s TV series, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And now, that very first season of Rhoda is available on DVD, for the very first time! Season One contains all 24 episodes of the 1974-1975 season of the series on a four disc DVD set, just in time for the 35th anniversary.

Rhoda Morgenstern began as a character on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but proved to be popular enough to earn her own sitcom by 1974. The series begins as she takes a vacation back home to New York and stays with her sister, Brenda (Julie Kavner). While staying with her sister, she meets a construction worker named Joe (David Groh) and they hit it off almost immediately. Things go so well that Rhoda decides to stay in Manhattan for a while, but as she emphasizes in her opening monologue, “New York, this is your last chance!” The series ran for five seasons on CBS and Rhoda and Joe eventually married each other... and then eventually divorced each other... but the series went on anyway. The show also stars Nancy Walker as Rhoda’s overbearing mother, Ida, and Harold Gould as her more understand father, Martin.

Read our review by Skees here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/rhodaseason1dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.

Last edited by TJ : 03-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
“My name is Rhoda Morgenstern. I was born in the Bronx, New York in December 1941.” That was how Valerie Harper began every single episode of the first season of Rhoda, the first spinoff of the popular 1970s TV series, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And now, that very first season of Rhoda is available on DVD, for the very first time! Season One contains all 24 episodes of the 1974-1975 season of the series on a four disc DVD set, just in time for the 35th anniversary.

Rhoda Morgenstern began as a character on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but proved to be popular enough to earn her own sitcom by 1974. The series begins as she takes a vacation back home to New York and stays with her sister, Brenda (Julie Kavner). While staying with her sister, she meets a construction worker named Joe (David Groh) and they hit it off almost immediately. Things go so well that Rhoda decides to stay in Manhattan for a while, but as she emphasizes in her opening monologue, “New York, this is your last chance!” The series ran for five seasons on CBS and Rhoda and Joe eventually married each other... and then eventually divorced each other... but the series went on anyway. The show also stars Nancy Martin as Rhoda’s overbearing mother, Ida, and Harold Gould as her more understand father, Martin.

WOW...EDITED EPISODES.....there goes the Shout factory appreciation thread....lol....I still love them and are leaders with MPI in releasing stuff other studios wouldn't touch and for that I will always support them. But our friend Shout contributor admitted that the episodes would contain flaws but they would not be edited.....I am not starting a war here, but he has made many contradictory statements regarding many sets....my suggestion would be, if he doesn't know for sure and he is representing the company, make sure the post is absolutely accurate.

Here is what Brian Ward, a sitcoms poster and Shout rep posted in February 2009 regarding the upcoming Rhoda set...it is shown here unedited and unaltered for factual information only.....

"I actually think we did very well with getting the complete episodes of Rhoda. I will forwarn you that there are some occasional tape problems, simply from the age and storage of the material, but I don't think it'll distract from your entertainment too much. We actually spent months going through masters, returning them and bringing new ones in, and have found the absolute best that Fox and a couple private collectors have to offer.

As for the bonus material, the interview with James L. Brooks especially was a dream come true for me. It was a lot of fun. He's a great guy and I think it comes off rather well in the piece.

It's a pretty good set. I'm happy with it and I think you will be, too."
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Upon reading this review, I will save my money and not buy this DVD. I too, was under the impression the episodes would be uncut with some minor video issues. The edited episodes really kill it for me, this will be exactly like Father Knows Best season one. At least Room 222 season one has all uncut episodes, I will be ordering that DVD.

In my opinion, Shout Factory is not all that great. Some of their releases are good, some are bad. With these bad releases like FKB S1 and Rhoda S1, if that is the best they can do then they should not issue it at all. I have a beef with this company anyway because of the non-release for The Bill Cosby Show season 2.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Edited episodes - what a bummer. I still will check this out of the library, because I have not seen many of the episodes. I also look forward to checking out the extras.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
gotsmart
Forum Regular
The Office, Thursdays on NBC

What a disappointment. I was really looking forward to this release. Hopefully they will be able to include unedited episodes on future seasons (if they are released, I imagine that many people will be canceling their pre-orders.)
Pam: Time cards, he has to sign these every Friday. Purchase orders have to be approved at the end of every month. And Expense Reports, all he has to do is initial these at the end of every quarter. But once every year it all falls on the same Friday; That's today. I call it the perfect storm.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

And I just hit the cancel button for my order

And I was looking forward to this release, too. I will not knowingly pay for inferior quality. Thanks for the review and letting the fans know ahead of time!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Frequent Poster

I'm more ticked off that Shout decided to invest their money on blatantly compromised material instead of saving to get out more of their abandoned titles.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
JAldridge86
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAldridge86 Send a message via Yahoo to JAldridge86

Yeah...cancelling mine too. I'll be happy with my TV Land recordings, and the 1992 MTM videos.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Edited Episodes + horrible quality=NO PURCHASE

Unbelievable. I just feel sorry for the people who are fans of the show who are not able to read this review and when but the DVD and get a big disapppointment
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ

Rhoda Morgenstern began as a character on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but proved to be popular enough to earn her own sitcom by 1974. The series begins as she takes a vacation back home to New York and stays with her sister, Brenda (Julie Kavner). While staying with her sister, she meets a construction worker named Joe (David Groh) and they hit it off almost immediately. Things go so well that Rhoda decides to stay in Manhattan for a while, but as she emphasizes in her opening monologue, “New York, this is your last chance!” The series ran for five seasons on CBS and Rhoda and Joe eventually married each other... and then eventually divorced each other... but the series went on anyway. The show also stars Nancy Martin as Rhoda’s overbearing mother, Ida, and Harold Gould as her more understand father, Martin.

Not to be picky, but shouldn't that be Nancy WALKER playing Ida??
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Not to be picky, but shouldn't that be Nancy WALKER playing Ida??
YES!!!! It should!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
DallasFan
Frequent Poster

Well I am cancelling my pre-order too. What a bummer. I was looking forward to this show on DVD. I guess I will buy something else in its place.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

I'll probably end up buying it, just cause it is Rhoda and how else will I get it? (If anyone knows anyone who DOES have pristine, unedited episodes, please dish it out ASAP!) And no sales = no further releases.

As for editing, as long as the show is still funny, it's often overrated.

Doesn't someone at Shout! post here? Maybe he could give some insight as to what happened? And I wonder how much of this comes down to Fox, and if so, I am now wondering what Mary Tyler Moore ever did to them to deserve having her material treated like this? (did Fox give them lousy prints on purpose so they don't overshadow their own releases, like of TMTMS whenever THAT will be now???)

Well...is the vaunted first episode scene with Mary saved at least? (I know Rhoda's Wedding is in the original format)

I wonder if Shout can come up with replacement discs someday, like the whole CBS/Fugitive incident.

I am so down today...what once seemed like the most promising time for MTM Universe fans is crashing all around me.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFabiano524
I'll probably end up buying it, just cause it is Rhoda and how else will I get it? (If anyone knows anyone who DOES have pristine, unedited episodes, please dish it out ASAP!) And no sales = no further releases.

As for editing, as long as the show is still funny...I guess I'll live.

Doesn't someone at Shout! post here? Maybe he could give some insight as to what happened? And I wonder how much of this comes down to Fox, and if so, what did Mary Tyler Moore do to them to have her material treated like this? (did Fox give them lousy prints on purpose so they don't overshadow their own releases, like of TMTMS whenever THAT will be now???)

Well...is the vaunted first episode scene with Mary saved at least? (I know Rhoda's Wedding is in the original format)

I wonder if Shout can come up with replacement discs someday, like the whole CBS/Fugitive incident.

I am so down today...what once seemed like the most promising time for MTM Universe fans is crashing all around me.

I don't think no one cares about a future release if the first release is THIS BAD. I mean you want to spend money on Poor Quality and Edited Eps? Why?? And I know there is no way to get great Quality eps that are UNCUT but that doesn't mean you take your hard earned money and buy CRAP
Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
I don't think no one cares about a future release if the first release is THIS BAD. I mean you want to spend money on Poor Quality and Edited Eps? Why?? And I know there is no way to get great Quality eps that are UNCUT but that doesn't mean you take your hard earned money and buy CRAP

Like I said, just cause it's Rhoda and how else will I get them?

And who's to say that if there's later seasons, they won't improve? (Shout! did rectify similar problems in the past) Unless I am right about my imaginary Fox conspiracies.

Last edited by JMFabiano524 : 03-20-2009 at 09:44 PM.