Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Family Ties Online / Family Ties links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Family Ties Photo Gallery

Family Ties - The First Season

Buy Family Ties - The First Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Second Season

Buy Family Ties - The Second Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Third Season

Buy Family Ties - The Third Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Fourth Season

Buy Family Ties - The Fourth Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Fifth Season

Buy Family Ties - The Fifth Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Sixth Season

Buy Family Ties - The Sixth Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Seventh Season

Buy Family Ties - The Seventh Season on DVD
Family Ties - The Complete Series

Buy Family Ties - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Family Ties

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Patricia Heaton Eyes a Return to TV With CBS Sitcom; VEI Announced Bad News Bears TV Series DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Superstore Season 4 At the Top of Its Game; Freeform's New Kickoff to Christmas Event
Showtime Isn't Kidding About Season 2 of Kidding; TBS Gets Another Unscripted Comedy
The CW Bulks Up for Next Summer; FX Brings Back Mr Inbetween for Season 2
CBS Announces Cast for The World's Best; Bravo Gets Anthology Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Cool “Family Ties” Season 5 Proves Alex is king

Link

Perhaps the most striking element of the 30-episode fifth season of the 1980s sitcom Family Ties,” which is being released on DVD on Tuesday is that it might be one of the few family sitcoms that improved as the child actors aged. Fans will recall that this show is about two liberal “children of the sixties” raising children of their own in the more conservative Reagan era of the 1980s.

The second thing that I noticed was that the heartfelt moments that sitcoms generally handle very badly are so well-written and acted on “Ties” that many of them seemed like scenes from plays that were being performed on a live stage.

This element was a large part of an exceptional two-part episode in which the normally stable character Alex P. Keaton, played perfectly by Michael J. Fox, had a great deal of trouble dealing with the sudden death of a college classmate that Alex felt that he might have been able to avoid if he had not acted selfishly regarding the classmate’s request for help.

Much of this episode consisted on monologues by Fox on a stage that was mostly dark in the style of the Thornton Wilder play “Our Town.” This successful experiment that was unique for a sitcom is an example of how the show won an Emmy for outstanding writing in a comedy series and Fox won one for Outstanding Leading Actor in a Comedy Series for this season.

On a less dramatic note, the show also wisely avoided having too much of an 80s style. The Keaton house was decorated in a classic slightly Victorian style and most of the characters wore traditional clothes that are appropriate for most eras; additionally, topical references were relatively rare.

This season is notable as well for successfully integrating a new young child into a show with older children. Five year-old Brian Bonsall became a great part of the show when made his first appearance as little brother Andrew in the season premiere that revolved around the conservative Alex opposing Andrew’s attendance of a pre-school that promoted sharing and support for minor accomplishments, such as waving goodbye.

Bonsall had a surprising number of lines in this episode, and several others, and did a far better job than many adult stars of other hit shows. I also fondly remember the line “Alex is king” that he delivered enthusiastically that some news stories about the show quoted.

Watching the DVD set was nice as well because I have not thought about the show much in the last several years and really enjoyed rediscovering it. Seeing Fox in his prime and remembering that he remained loyal to the show after starring in the classic comedy film “Back to the Future” and other hits is one reason that I wrote in a recent review of the first season of Fox’s other sitcom “Spin City” that I would love to join him for a pancake breakfast. On a side note, the second season of “Spin City is being released on DVD on April 28.

I would love to hear memories that other folks have about “Ties”; please add them as additions to this entry or as e-mail to tvdvdguy@gmail.com. Sha la la la.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Cool

Thanks for posting that, Charles! I am really looking forward to watching Season 5.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Thanks for posting the article. I'm counting the days until I get my copy.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

(chanting) FOUR MORE DAYS...FOUR MORE DAYS...
Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I wasn't sure I was going to keep going with this series but in light of Charles' glowing review and the fact the 2-part episode of Alex dealing with his friends death is on this set and I may have to buy it after all.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Also, there's at least one more episode with Ellen that should be on the Season 5 dvd set, because it wasn't on the Season 4 dvd set. Ellen is in the episode It's My Party. The episode where Jennifer turns 13. So I'm sure, fans of Ellen will want to buy Season 5 simply for that reason, lol. Season 5 is a good season.
Family Ties Forever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

That's right - the rest of the Ellen episodes are in Season 5.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I wasn't sure I was going to keep going with this series but in light of Charles' glowing review and the fact the 2-part episode of Alex dealing with his friends death is on this set and I may have to buy it after all.
I can't take credit for the review because I've never seen the show or at least not an entire episode. All I did was post it because I knew it would interest a few members here.
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
I can't take credit for the review because I've never seen the show or at least not an entire episode. All I did was post it because I knew it would interest a few members here.
You have never seen the show or an entire episode? Wow.
Just curious why not? It's ok that you haven't seen it. It just always surprises me when I hear someone say they have never seen the show. Those who haven't seen it, imo, have missed out on such a great show, Again, just my opinion.
Family Ties Forever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Avilos
Frequent Poster

Well whomever wrote it perfectly sums up why Family ties was a great show!

He is right that the show was not full of 80s references. There is a tendency to think that because of the "ex-Hippy parents raising modern kids" thing. But generation gaps have existed since then too. This show's just happened to be a 60s vs 80s gap. But the characters and stories were relatable to anyone who is a parent or had parents.

I have always seen Family Ties as feeling like a stage comedy/drama. Having that same style of intimacy and energy. Not just in "My Name is Alex' either. Though that was the clearest example.

Notice how we never saw the outside of the Keaton's house. Which was rare of sitcoms then and now. Usually a you see a phony establishing shot of a real house. Before you see the interior built in a studio. With completely different lightening. Family Ties never bothered with that type of usual sitcom stuff. It stood on the weight of the characters.

Similar to a play the show had a very focused cast. Almost exclusively on the Keaton family itself. Which considering the name of the show was perfect.

The show did not focus much on the kids classmates or teachers. Only when they would meet the rest of the family. Which meant that most faces would come and go never to be seen by the audience again. This is consistent with real life. My brother and sister had many friends and teachers while we grew up. But only the very best friends and the boyfriends/girlfriends did I really ever get to know. The Ellens, and the Nicks, and the Skippys.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
TripperFan
In God's Arms Now
Forum Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301

I highly recommend this season. You'll love the 2-parter. It really was well done and did remind me of "Our Town".

Alex and Andrew are adorable together. You can see a bond between them that had to be off-camera as well as on. Anything Ellen appeared in was great and I cry everytime she leaves (even though I know they ended up very happily together in real life)!

It really was a great show.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
TripperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
Avilos
Frequent Poster

I liked Andrew.

There is a tendacy to lump his addition together with other shows that had new kids in their later seasons. Where those shows were radically changed to shift to a new cute kid. While the other older kids are sidelined.

But that NEVER happened with Family Ties. Most of the Andrew episodes were really about Alex. His attempts to (lovingly! LOL!) turn Andrew into a clone of himself! Which was totally in character for Alex.

With Alex and Mallory in college they would have likely spend less and less time at the house even while living there. Having a younger brother kept the family closer in those years than they would likely have been otherwise.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ Plus, younger siblings sometimes idolize and try to emulate the older siblings, so the Alex/Andrew relationship makes perfect sense.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

I'm glad that Paramount has continued to progress with the DVD releases of this show - hopefully now that the first five are out they'll still see fit to release seasons six and seven. Taxi has been stalled at Season Three for over three years now.

Anyway, I'm still making my way through the third season so I won't be ordering the fifth just yet, but I plan to ask for it for my birthday in August.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I ordered season 5 from Amazon.ca the other day. It should arrive sometime next week. Can't wait!
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote