Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Mr. Belvedere Online / Mr. Belvedere links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Mr. Belvedere Photo Gallery

Mr. Belvedere - Seasons One & Two

Buy Mr. Belvedere - Seasons One & Two on DVD
Mr. Belvedere - Season Three

Buy Mr. Belvedere - Season Three on DVD
Mr. Belvedere - Season Four

Buy Mr. Belvedere - Season Four on DVD
(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Mr. Belvedere
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Mr. Belvedere - Seasons One & Two DVD Review

Streaks on the china, never mattered before, who cared? Shout Factory does! For the first time ever, Mr. Belvedere is coming to DVD with the first two seasons on a 5-disc set packed with all-new cast interviews! When Pittsburgh sports columnist George Owens (Bob Uecker) and wife Marsha (Ilene Graff), a new law school student, find themselves with little time to spend with their three rambunctious kids, Marsha places an ad for some household help. Enter Mr. Belvedere (Christopher Hewett), a quick-witted, refined, portly English housekeeper. Despite the objections of George, Mr. Belvedere is hired and quickly sets about whipping the Owens family into shape.

Mr. Belvedere premiered on ABC in 1985 airing Fridays at 8:30PM and enjoyed a six-season run, but has endured ever since as a symbol of its time. The story of one family trying to have it all, with some unlikely help, the show was not afraid to deal with real issues and still make us laugh. Affectionately remembered, Mr. Belvedere lives on as a cult favorite and an icon of 80s suburbia.

The series also stars the Owens family children: Rob Stone as Kevin Owens, Tracy Wells as Heather Owens and Brice Beckham as Wesley Owens.

Read our review by Pavan here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/mrbelve...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Vahan

Really happy to see that Shout! provided a high quality release. Hopefully, more seasons will be well on the way.

And Pavan, if you're reading this, I just wanted to say that this was your best review ever. You really outdid yourself here.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Cool

I can't wait to see this!! YAY!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
TV_Fan
Forum Regular

I can't wait to get this set. Counting down the days! Thanks for the excellent review Pavan.
On a side note, not that it really matters to me, I wonder why this set doesn't have closed captioning and the Blossom set does.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Default Notes On MR. BELVEDERE from the Executive Producer

Link

The first season of the popular ’80s family comedy Mr. Belvedere comes out on DVD on March 17, and Jeff Stein, one of the executive producers and creators of the show, was kind enough to answer a few questions about it. Stein and his writing partner Frank Dungan came from one of the all-time great sitcoms, Barney Miller, where they joined the writing staff in the fifth season and stayed until the end of the series; they wrote the last two parts of the three-part series finale, among many other episodes.

After Barney Miller was canceled, they signed a development deal with 20th Century Fox, but found that there wasn’t much of a market any more for adult-oriented sitcoms in the Barney Miller vein. They finally got a project when ABC expressed interest in having them develop a property that Fox already owned, and which had already been made into two unsold TV pilots by others. “ABC called us in for a meeting and pitched us the idea,” Stein says. “We were a little taken aback, since they already had Who’s the Boss, which was tanking, and we weren’t sure why they would want another housekeeper show. But since we hadn’t gotten anywhere with our adult, Barney Miller type ideas, we agreed to write a pilot and show the network we were team players. Perhaps it was this indifferent approach that led our Belvedere to its rightful place in TV infamy.” The executive producers of the show were Stein, Dungan and another Barney Miller writer-producer, Tony Sheehan. Sheehan directed all of the first season, and all of the second was directed by Barney Miller’s regular director, Noam Pitlik.

Watching the show again on Shout! Factory’s five-disc DVD set — which includes the first season of seven episodes (it was a mid-season replacement) and the 22-episode second season — I think the reason for the enduring cult appeal of Mr. Belvedere is the fact that it was one of the few family sitcoms of the era where the characters were dysfunctional and openly hostile, within the boundaries of the need to have everyone make up and learn something by the end of the episode. The character of the youngest kid, Wesley (Brice Beckham) was particularly popular with kids because he was an out-and-out brat, a self-described sociopath with destructive urges who is basically evil even when he tries to do the right thing. He really does seem like the prototype for Bart Simpson, especially when you learn in one episode that his parents had to get married because the mom was already pregnant.

Stein says that their approach to writing the show was that “since nobody at the studio or network level was interested in smart, we tried to make it as subversive as possible.”

The most famous episode on this set is “Wesley’s Friend,” where Wesley’s previously-unseen best friend gets AIDS from a tainted blood transfusion. Here is Stein’s explanation of how that episode came about:

Frank and I were managed at the time by the legendary Helen Kushnick. Her son Sam was perhaps the first publicly acknowledged AIDS cases from tainted blood (a transfusion he received as an infant), and we did the episode as a homage to him.

In later seasons, Mr. Belvedere did other “very special” episodes, but those, Stein says, were done with less sincere motives:

Every other “issue” show after that was nothing but a desperate attempt to get a TV guide close-up, which never happened. Not even for the “Wesley gets molested” episode, which still makes my toes curl to this very day.

Perhaps because of the air of weirdness and wrongness that pervaded the show (Bob Uecker as a dad, a running gag about how no two clocks in the house ever kept the same time), Belvedere retained a cult following among people who grew up watching it, and has been frequently referred to in pop culture. The DVD includes two of the most famous: the great Saturday Night Live “Guy Who Plays Mr. Belvedere Fan Club” sketch, with Tom Hanks, Chris Farley and Phil Hartman at their very best, and the Family Guy sequence where Stewie screams the theme song. (Ilene Graaf, the mother on the show, says in the DVD special features that when she heard Stewie do that, she thought “We’ve arrived!”) But perhaps the best and most elaborate of all Belvedere references was in the second season of the show Ned & Stacey, where Sheehan was a co-executive producer and Stein was a consultant. The show did an episode called “Saved By the Belvedere” where Ned (Thomas Hayden Church) gets his idol Mr. Belvedere to be in a commercial, only to find out that the guy (who is never referred to by his real name in the whole episode,) actually thinks he is Mr. Belvedere. “Tony told me the other (younger) writers on staff were huge fans,” Stein says, “and they all hatched this plot together. A very funny episode, too, I thought.”

Stein also clarified a couple of legends that have grown up around this show. One is the “feud” with the ABC show Sledge Hammer!, where the creator, Alan Spencer, kept taking shots at them and continued to do so on his DVD commentaries. “Sledge Hammer made fun of us on-air, so we made fun of them back. (Once, I think) No tires were slashed, or dead roses sent. Pretty tame, as feuds go.”

There’s also a famous urban legend that production had to be stopped when Christopher Hewett (Mr. Belvedere) injured his testicles. This one, it turns out, is no urban legend: “Yes, it’s true. Mr. Belvedere did sit on his own balls. He fell backwards riding in a convertible in the Hollywood Christmas Parade. We had to shut down for a week while he healed. Pat Rickey, our producer, prefaced this revelation with the statement, ‘Now, you can’t tell anybody this…’”

The DVDs appear to have all the episodes uncut (23.5 minutes’ worth of running time, standard for the period), and the special feature is a 15-minute making-of consisting of new interviews with four of the five surviving cast members. (Tracy Wells, aka “Heather,” was the only no-show.)

Thanks to Mr. Stein for taking the time to answer these questions. Here, finally, is his answer to the question of how he feels about this show being revived on DVD: “I think it’s about damn time. Though I won’t hold my breath waiting for anyone to send me a copy.”
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Yes, I noticed the Barney Miller connection in the credits - not to mention Noam Pitlik, Chris Hayward and Tony Sheehan were all critical behind the scenes people on BM and brought their own special brand of comedy to MB.

I loved this show as a kid and am loving it as an adult. The writing is fresh and funny. The cast is excellent. I'd forgotten how well Brice Beckham played little troublemaker Wesley. He is definitely one of the underrated TV stars of the 80s!! His chemistry with Christopher Hewett as Mr. Belvedere (as well as Christopher Hewett's interactions with Bob Uecker as George) was one of the best parts of the show.

Loved the little featurette as well. The years have been VERY kind to Ilene Graff!! She's barely aged at all!!