Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #46
TripperFan
In God's Arms Now
Forum Veteran
 
TripperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 14, 2003
Location: Heartbreak Ridge
Posts: 12,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Wow.

But did you go to college anyway?
Nope - never did. My mother split with my father when I graduated high school and needed me to be working full time to help her with the rent, etc.. In order to get the scholarship you had to promise to attend immediately and I couldn't so I had to give it up.
By that time, I was working in an office and ended up working my way up the ranks on my own. It hasn't been easy and I've come up against some blockades (where you can't get the job even though you were capable of doing it only because you had no degree).
If you want a decent paying white collar job these days (at least here in North America) you HAVE to have some post secondary education - men and women. What fries me is that women still don't have equality in the pay scale - no matter what a company says. My job makes me privy to wages - including those of the executives and everytime, the women make less than the men.
__________________
If I don't see you in this world, I'll meet you in the next one.....don't be late

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile


The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
TripperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #47
Meade
Member
Forum Regular
 
Meade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
I didn't say they're not around. I just said they don't have the kind of political power and cultural influence they had 40-50 years ago. Granted, there are some hick towns where people are afraid to ruffle the feathers of remaining Klansmen, but even in those places Jim Crow is dead an buried, and not coming back. Some police department down in Florida kicked a guy off the force for joining the Klan fairly recently. In 2008, the Klan tried to influence the First Presidential Election debate at Oxford, Mississippi, and got nowhere.




Hey, I'm a northern white boy myself, and I'm as disgusted by them as you. But I have enough sense to realize they're not the majority. I'm going to tell you a story; One time when I was driving down south to meet some relatives, I was pulled over by some local Florida Sheriff's deputy, an Afro-American woman, in fact. She insisted I was violating the law by not having a registration sticker on my licenese plate. I eventually explained to her that New York hasn't required common passenger vehicles to have registration stickers on their plates since 1973, and she told me she had no idea about this because she was born in 1979. Now this has nothing to do with the bigotry of the old south other than the fact that she wasn't even born when Jim Crow was the law of the land. A lot of cops down there are like that now, just as they are in the rest of the country.

The woman let me go, BTW.
Funny, most white Northerners I know are very Racist. They cant understand also why we actually have black farmers here in Virginia. I know they call them "ni g rs " too. Thats just sad.

Maybe its just me, but Ive experienced much more racism in the north than in the South. In the South , its like at least we know black people. My northern friends are like ewww, blacks, etc.
Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #48
Furienna
Member
Senior Member
 
Furienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 5,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
Nope - never did. My mother split with my father when I graduated high school and needed me to be working full time to help her with the rent, etc.. In order to get the scholarship you had to promise to attend immediately and I couldn't so I had to give it up.
By that time, I was working in an office and ended up working my way up the ranks on my own. It hasn't been easy and I've come up against some blockades (where you can't get the job even though you were capable of doing it only because you had no degree).
If you want a decent paying white collar job these days (at least here in North America) you HAVE to have some post secondary education - men and women. What fries me is that women still don't have equality in the pay scale - no matter what a company says. My job makes me privy to wages - including those of the executives and everytime, the women make less than the men.
Wow, that sounds terrible. And none of your brothers had to get a job instead of going to college? That's beyond unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
Funny, most white Northerners I know are very Racist. They cant understand also why we actually have black farmers here in Virginia. I know they call them "ni g rs " too. Thats just sad.

Maybe its just me, but Ive experienced much more racism in the north than in the South. In the South , its like at least we know black people. My northern friends are like ewww, blacks, etc.
Really? Because that just sounds weird. Are people really that way?
Furienna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #49
MickeyMac
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 18,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
Funny, most white Northerners I know are very Racist. They cant understand also why we actually have black farmers here in Virginia. I know they call them "ni g rs " too. Thats just sad.

Maybe its just me, but Ive experienced much more racism in the north than in the South. In the South , its like at least we know black people. My northern friends are like ewww, blacks, etc.


There was lots of racism in the north during the 1950's you'd be surprised. Like in Detroit, Michigan for instance. I read a book once about race relations in the motor city during that time, and in some ways Detroit was almost like a southern city. No wonder the riot happened in 1967.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #50
Meade
Member
Forum Regular
 
Meade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
There was lots of racism in the north during the 1950's you'd be surprised. Like in Detroit, Michigan for instance. I read a book once about race relations in the motor city during that time, and in some ways Detroit was almost like a southern city. No wonder the riot happened in 1967.
Well Dee-troit certainly is A NORTHERN city. As racism is not limited to any Southern city . Boston, Cleveland, and Buffalo, also had race issues as well.
Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #51
Doodyville10019
Meet my new friend Sparkie!
Forum Regular
 
Doodyville10019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2008
Location: Competition Square, located in Doodyville Park
Posts: 875
Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019
Default

As far as I'm concerned, we STILL live in the 1950's today. People are getting more and more closed-minded over issues, and people would rather believe what the government says than their own minds and feelings. There isn't really that much progressiveness anymore, nor is there really that much individuality - today we obsess with conformity ("be like everyone else" - "you'll get a guy if you look young and THIN") and life in general is 'big business' - just like back then. Everything today is also more skewed towards families and (especially) children - just like then.
__________________
Hi! Hey! Hello again, here we go again!
Doodyville10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #52
Meade
Member
Forum Regular
 
Meade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodyville10019
As far as I'm concerned, we STILL live in the 1950's today. People are getting more and more closed-minded over issues, and people would rather believe what the government says than their own minds and feelings. There isn't really that much progressiveness anymore, nor is there really that much individuality - today we obsess with conformity ("be like everyone else" - "you'll get a guy if you look young and THIN") and life in general is 'big business' - just like back then. Everything today is also more skewed towards families and (especially) children - just like then.
Disagree. Back in the 50s people actually had manners and civility. In fact, if you subscribe to the 50s way of life, you are bucking conformity. Today its all about me, me, me ! Today is the oppoiste of the 50s. In the name of "progress", we actually lose progress.

Just turn on any reality TV show and it reflects society. People are sleeping around with everyone , drinking and carrying on, reveling. No one has common courtesy towards anyone anymore.

Individuality doesnt necessarily mean originality. Nor does it mean something remotely interesting. Why people want to put themselves in front of everyone else- that is the reason for all the unhappiness in the world.
Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #53
Furienna
Member
Senior Member
 
Furienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 5,583
Default

I agree, Meade. People are more free to "be themselves" today than what they were back in the 50s. Individuality and originality is considered a good thing now, which wasn't the case back in the day.
Furienna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #54
Doodyville10019
Meet my new friend Sparkie!
Forum Regular
 
Doodyville10019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2008
Location: Competition Square, located in Doodyville Park
Posts: 875
Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meade
Disagree. Back in the 50s people actually had manners and civility. In fact, if you subscribe to the 50s way of life, you are bucking conformity. Today its all about me, me, me ! Today is the oppoiste of the 50s. In the name of "progress", we actually lose progress.

Just turn on any reality TV show and it reflects society. People are sleeping around with everyone , drinking and carrying on, reveling. No one has common courtesy towards anyone anymore.

Individuality doesnt necessarily mean originality. Nor does it mean something remotely interesting. Why people want to put themselves in front of everyone else- that is the reason for all the unhappiness in the world.

You'd actually be surprised at the amount of common courtesy there is (at least in downtown Chicago on any given workday). I can't get past any train ride or bus ride in the morning without at least hearing no less than 5 people saying "excuse me" and "thank you" in one breath; men actually open the door for women here (especially the professionals); during AM rush at some bus stops there are actually LINES that form (not groups, mind you - actual LINES) and people board the buses according to their place in that line; very few people actually talk to one another - everyone walks down the streets quietly; people actually let disabled riders go on first, and more!

And no, not everyone revels and sleeps with each other on reality TV (most of that stuff on those shows isn't really "real" anyways, so who cares?) And EVERYONE has been wanting to get on TV since the invention of TV. When I was a kid, the waiting list for Chicago's local Bozo's Circus show tickets was 7 years long at one point; likewise, the waiting list for Howdy Doody back in the '50s was probably that long, if not longer. For both shows pregnant mothers would actually request tickets for their kids BEFORE they were born!
Doodyville10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #55
Meade
Member
Forum Regular
 
Meade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I agree, Meade. People are more free to "be themselves" today than what they were back in the 50s. Individuality and originality is considered a good thing now, which wasn't the case back in the day.
Not quite. They had a lot of original people back in the 50s. Have you ever heard of Elvis Presley?

Anyways, I dont think common courtesy has anything to do with "individuality" but rather just respect and manners which is lacking these days.

I would much rather live in the 50s than today. There aren't any inidividuals today just spoiled brats.
Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #56
Furienna
Member
Senior Member
 
Furienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 5,583
Default

I wasn't saying, that there were no original people in the 50s. Of course there were. But I don't think originality was encouraged in the same way back then as it is today.
Furienna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #57
Meade
Member
Forum Regular
 
Meade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 279
Send a message via MSN to Meade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I wasn't saying, that there were no original people in the 50s. Of course there were. But I don't think originality was encouraged in the same way back then as it is today.
I dont think originality is encouraged much today at all. More people are homogonized than they were even in the 50s! Its the same type of conformity, just a different style.
Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.