Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Furienna

Yes, it doesn't make sense at all these days. We can only be grateful, that things have changed.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #32
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU
If you hated the Yankees, it was the worst of times- made all but two Fall Classics.

I say this as a New Yorker but the 50's were easy for the Yanks. The Curt Flood, free agency ruling was a decade away, so teams held players hostage.
There were only 8 teams in the league, so the Yanks only had to beat seven to win the pennant. St. Louis Browns were decades behind their best years and were soon to go to Baltimore. No threat. Philadelphia Athletics, led by Connie Mack for over 50 years was being sold and getting ready for their move to Kansas City. No threat. Washington Senators, said to be "first in war, first in peace and last in the Anerican league" No threat. Now only four teams to beat. Detroit, still had no Kaline, Cash, or McLain till the 60's, so they did nothing during the decade. That left Boston, Chicago and Cleveland. Cleveland did it in 54 and it took 110 wins. Quiet for the rest of the decade.
Boston had Williams retire and made no noise.

With the money the Yanks had and no competition it was easy to make Stengel look like a miracle worker.

Stuff like that could never happen today.

Harvey

http://www.freewebs.com/lilhave/index.htm
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #33
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I didn't know, that female students were paid less than male students. But now that you mention it, I have heard stories about girls, who weren't allowed to get an education, because they were "supposed to get married anyway". (And of course, married women weren't supposed to work outside their home.) Like one of my mother's cousins wanted to become a nurse, but her parents wouldn't let her, because they didn't want to waste any money on a girl's education.

I even got that in the 70s. I was up for a full scholarship but my parents said I'd be better off to find a nice guy who could take care of me. They spent money on both my brothers for post secondary school educations (university for my eldest bro and private art school for the other). Neither one ended up in any profession even close to what they took.

And civil rights WAS still a huge thing. It was the "brewing" of the 1950s that exploded in the south in the 1960s. Blacks were fed up (who could blame them). The mafia was also getting out of hand. They owned Las Vegas by that time. They had been moving into Cuba next, until Castro and his rebels tookover and kicked them all out in 1961.

It's human nature to look back on eras with "fondness" so it may seem that the 1950s were a "simplier" time but they really weren't.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #34
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
Furienna, lilhave is 100% right about the status of Blacks and Women of the 1950's. I wasn't born until several months after the Selma-to-Montgomery Voting Rights march, but if I had been in my 20s through 40's at the time, I would've had to stop myself from driving down to Alabama and killing some cops and Klansmen.

Don't differinate between cops and Klansman. In most cases it was one and the same. If not there was no way a cop was going to bring a Klansman in. I'm sure all were somehow related and the jury seated was all white and Klansman to boot. Jury of your peers didn't hold water. Rulings were passed that to vote and be on a jury you had to be a high school grad, but the poor black was never given the opportunity. Sad to say but the blacks in the south during the 50's were one step above or behind the porch dog. Living in the north hid many of these problems but prejudice was still rampart. Televison had roles for blacks as butlers, chauffeurs, maids or gardeners. A black didn't have a starring role till the late 60's. I loved Amos and Andy and watched every episode more then once but if I was a black I would have been highly offended.

I was in sales all my life and when I began no company would dream of hiring a black salesman to sell their products.

Harvey
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #35
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
Don't differinate between cops and Klansman. In most cases it was one and the same. If not there was no way a cop was going to bring a Klansman in.
The key word being most cases. Every now and then I've seen documentaries on Klan history that include the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church, which contained an interview with at least one cop who said he knew the KKK was involved, but couldn't do anything about it.

Ever see the 2003 Showtime Docudrama "Deacons for Defense?" It's about some black paper mill workers in Bogalousa, Louisiana who arm themselves against KKK-Police violence in order to protect the local civil right movement chapter. There's a brief audio clip in the movie mentioning the shooting of a black cop in the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
The mafia was also getting out of hand. They owned Las Vegas by that time. They had been moving into Cuba next, until Castro and his rebels tookover and kicked them all out in 1961.
Actually, that was in 1959, but it wasn't just the Mafia he went after.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #36
lilhave

Quote:
The key word being most cases. Every now and then I've seen documentaries on Klan history that include the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church, which contained an interview with at least one cop who said he knew the KKK was involved, but couldn't do anything about it.

Ever see the 2003 Showtime Docudrama "Deacons for Defense?" It's about some black paper mill workers in Bogalousa, Louisiana who arm themselves against KKK-Police violence in order to protect the local civil right movement chapter. There's a brief audio clip in the movie mentioning the shooting of a black cop in the town.

Actually, that was in 1959, but it wasn't just the Mafia he went after.

It was more then most cases. If a cop was not a member of the Klan he would have never made it to the force. If a white man was thought to be a "****** lover", his house would also have been bombed. The South was a tough place to live. I'm sure it was real tough being black way back when. They suffered in silence, in fear of retribution. To this day there are many who think the war is still not over.

Harvey
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #37
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
It was more then most cases. If a cop was not a member of the Klan he would have never made it to the force. If a white man was thought to be a "****** lover", his house would also have been bombed. The South was a tough place to live. I'm sure it was real tough being black way back when. They suffered in silence, in fear of retribution. To this day there are many who think the war is still not over.

Harvey
There were still some exceptions, and while not all Cops were Klansmen or vice-versa, I know as well as you and everyone else in America that the Klan was the law of the old south. Thankfully, it's not that way now.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #38
Furienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
I even got that in the 70s. I was up for a full scholarship but my parents said I'd be better off to find a nice guy who could take care of me. They spent money on both my brothers for post secondary school educations (university for my eldest bro and private art school for the other). Neither one ended up in any profession even close to what they took.
Wow.

But did you go to college anyway?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #39
lilhave

Quote:
There were still some exceptions, and while not all Cops were Klansmen or vice-versa, I know as well as you and everyone else in America that the Klan was the law of the old south. Thankfully, it's not that way now.

Why do you think it's not that way now? The Klan went underground and still exist and flourish. Because they don't wear white sheets doesn't mean their not around.

It's not only the blacks that were turned on. The letters KKK stand for, Koons, Katholics, and Kikes. Their greatgrandparents, grandparents, parents preached hate and you believe that they now stopped it. It's like saying that with the death of Hitler Nazi prejudice ceased.

Blacks can't vote in many communities, are still profiled and are NEVER given equal job opportunities. Those in high office are still members of the Klan. Can remember Sen. Strom Thurmand, who was in office for over 50 years. One of the biggest racists the South ever produced.

As a northern white boy, I'm appalled at what some my white Southern neighbors practiced and still practice today.

Harvey

Last edited by lilhave : 03-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #40
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Why do you think it's not that way now? The Klan went underground and still exist and flourish. Because they don't wear white sheets doesn't mean their not around.
I didn't say they're not around. I just said they don't have the kind of political power and cultural influence they had 40-50 years ago. Granted, there are some hick towns where people are afraid to ruffle the feathers of remaining Klansmen, but even in those places Jim Crow is dead an buried, and not coming back. Some police department down in Florida kicked a guy off the force for joining the Klan fairly recently. In 2008, the Klan tried to influence the First Presidential Election debate at Oxford, Mississippi, and got nowhere.

Quote:
As a northern white boy, I'm appalled at what some my white Southern neighbors practiced and still practice today.

Harvey

Hey, I'm a northern white boy myself, and I'm as disgusted by them as you. But I have enough sense to realize they're not the majority. I'm going to tell you a story; One time when I was driving down south to meet some relatives, I was pulled over by some local Florida Sheriff's deputy, an Afro-American woman, in fact. She insisted I was violating the law by not having a registration sticker on my licenese plate. I eventually explained to her that New York hasn't required common passenger vehicles to have registration stickers on their plates since 1973, and she told me she had no idea about this because she was born in 1979. Now this has nothing to do with the bigotry of the old south other than the fact that she wasn't even born when Jim Crow was the law of the land. A lot of cops down there are like that now, just as they are in the rest of the country.

The woman let me go, BTW.

Last edited by D-Dey : 03-12-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #41
lilhave

Quote:
I didn't say they're not around. I just said they don't have the kind of political power and cultural influence they had 40-50 years ago. Granted, there are some hick towns where people are afraid to ruffle the feathers of remaining Klansmen, but even in those places Jim Crow is dead an buried, and not coming back. Some police department down in Florida kicked a guy off the forece for joining the Klan fairly recently. In 2008, the Klan tried to influence the First Presidential Election debate at Oxford, Mississippi, and got nowhere.

Hey, I'm a northern white boy myself, and I'm as disgusted by them as you. But I have enough sense to realize they're not the majority. I'm going to tell you a story; One time when I was driving down south to meet some relatives, I was pulled over by some local Florida Sheriff's deputy, an Afro-American woman, in fact. She insisted I was violating the law by not having a registration sticker on my licenese plate. I eventually explained to her that New York hasn't required common passenger vehicles to have registration stickers on their plates since 1973, and she told me she had no idea about this because she was born in 1979. Now this has nothing to do with the bigotry of the old south other than the fact that she wasn't even born when Jim Crow was the law of the land. A lot of cops down there are like that now, just as they are in the rest of the country.

The woman let me go, BTW.

I'm the first to say that bigotry has lessened, but don't for a moment think it doesn't exist and ceases to be a problem. Hate groups now hide their agenda, masking it much more discreetly. Go on the internet and you can find tons of hate groups, all advocating violence, with "white power" Maybe these groups donb't meet anymore in open fields, burning crosses and sprouting rhetoric, but they meet in safe locations and do much recruting.

Harvey
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #42
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
A black didn't have a starring role till the late 60's.

Wasn't Romero's Night of the Living Dead one of the first to have a black man as the leading role? That came out in 1968.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #43
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Wasn't Romero's Night of the Living Dead one of the first to have a black man as the leading role? That came out in 1968.

Sidney Potier was doing lead roles before that.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #44
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
Sidney Potier was doing lead roles before that.

And Paul Robeson was a star 2 decades before. Problem was there was few roles for blacks right up in to the 60's and most of them were demeaning. Showing a happy black family, like Ozzie and Harriet, among others was just not done.

Think were beating a dead horse. There was prejudice and much of it still exists.

Harvey
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #45
Meade
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to Meade

I can't think of anything bad about the 50s. Gee, I sure wish I was alive back then!

Great music, cool cars, nice moms!

Unfortunately, I was born in 1979.