Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

1950s pop culture was great, though. I like to imagine teenagers in the 1950s, listening to music crackling through their radios in their bedrooms, and totally escaping the world and its problems. I know people do that today, but I find the music of that decade so fresh and crisp and summery.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pleasant Tomorrow*
It was supposedly America's "golden era," but let's face it...it had plenty of flaws. Women didn't have as many rights and their place was supposed to be in the home. Lame. Then there was that crazy communist scare, with plenty of innocent people being interrogated. Segregation was socially accepted. And, let's face it. We all love the internet, obviously. There was none of that, then, though I'm sure it could be nice sometimes.

Basically, each decade has it's good points and bad points.
Sure, McCarthy exploited the communist threat for his own personal gain, but at least people accepted the fact that there was such a threat to begin with. If there hadn't been, there would've been no Korean War, and no Vietnam War. Not to mention no uprisings in Hungary, Poland, or the Soviet-created East Germany, or even in Tibet against Red China.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
Yooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop
1950s pop culture was great, though. I like to imagine teenagers in the 1950s, listening to music crackling through their radios in their bedrooms, and totally escaping the world and its problems. I know people do that today, but I find the music of that decade so fresh and crisp and summery.

Me too. And I grew up in that decade, and that's the way it was.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooch
Me too. And I grew up in that decade, and that's the way it was.
Another word to describe that decade: innocence. Innocence in some ways we will never see again.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
KurtfromPitts

All "big 4" sports leagues-MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL-had far fewer teams than today.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtfromPitts
All "big 4" sports leagues-MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL-had far fewer teams than today.

So why is that a negative.?

Baseball had 8 teams in each division and you played each team 22 times. You had a chance to see all the stars and build a real competitive nature. Now sometimes you paly two games against a team in a different division.

Fewer teams, had less garbage in the big leagues. You had to be a player to be in the majors.

The NBA began with the Eastern division consisting of the Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Syracuse Nationals and Philadelphia Warriors. Went to the Garden on Tuesday night and saw quality games, with quailty players. Now there are players that are glorified college players, just around to fill up the bench.

Don 't know where plenty equates with quality.

Harvey

http://www.freewebs.com/lilhave/index.htm
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

The 50's werent so great if you were black.

My mom grew up here, but she had family who lived in Arkansas and she told me once that the first time she went down there how shocked she was to see the "Whites Only" and "Colored Only" signs.

Also she told me that there was plenty of racsim and segregation above the Mason/Dixon line.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
The 50's werent so great if you were black.

My mom grew up here, but she had family who lived in Arkansas and she told me once that the first time she went down there how shocked she was to see the "Whites Only" and "Colored Only" signs.

Also she told me that there was plenty of racsim and segregation above the Mason/Dixon line.
That had to be just horrible. How sad that things like that could happen in America.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #24
Furienna

Oh yes, but as sad as this is going to sound, I think the black people in the south were so used to such things, that it hardly even bothered them. Of course I'm not saying, that things like "white bathrooms" and "colored bathrooms" were good, but many people, both white and black, knew about it and simply learned to live with it, to a point where they hardly thought about it. So I actually don't think people in general found it that horrible. They just saw it as the way things were. But of course, some people did start thinking about it, so it started changing during the 60s and 70s, so by the 50s, the segregation was dying out anyway.

And about women's right, well, I think in the 1950s, girls and women were equal to boys and men. Maybe they didn't do the same things, but the worst oppression of females were already gone by thenAnd about girls still being frowned upon, if they wore pants... Well, my mum often wore pants, when she grew up, and she grew up in the 50s. But for some werid reason, the popular girls in her class had decided, that everybody had to wear a dress or a skirt for needle work class. Well, this was of course some years before boys could take needle work and girls could take wood shop, so only the girls had to follow this, since the boys all took wood shop. But I still think, that it was weird...

And I agree with D-Dey. Communism was a real threat bad then. Well, I'm Swedish, so I'm not so familar with what McCarthy did, but considering how dangerous the times were, people might just have gone too far out of fear.

Last edited by Furienna : 03-05-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
lilhave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Oh yes, but as sad as this is going to sound, I think the black people in the south were so used to such things, that it hardly even bothered them. Of course I'm not saying, that things like "white bathrooms" and "colored bathrooms" were good, but many people, both white and black, knew about it and simply learned to live with it, to a point where they hardly thought about it. So I actually don't think people in general found it so horrible. They just saw it as the way things were. But of course, some people did start thinking about it, so it started chaning during the 60s and 70s, so by the 50s, the segregation was dying out anyway.

And about women's right... Well, I think 1950s girls and women were equal to boys and men. Maybe they didn't do the same things, but the worst oppression of females were already gone by the 1950s. And about girls still being frowned upon, if they wore pants... Well, my mum often wore pants, when she grew up, and she grew up in the 50s. But for some werid reason, the popular girls in her class had decided, that everybody had to wear a dress or a skirt for needle work class. Well, this was of course some years before boys could take needle work and girls could take wood shop, so only the girls had to follow this, since the boys all took wood shop. But I still think, that it was weird...

And I agree with D-Dey. Communism was a real threat bad then. Well, I'm Swedish, so I'm not so familar with what McCarthy did, but considering how dangerous the times were, people might just have gone too far out of fear.

During the 50's segregation was far from being accptable in the south. Governor Wallace of Alabama, Governor Maddox of Georgia were defiant in the face of the supreme court reulings on segregation. The supreme court stated that there was no such thing as "separate but equal" and Wallace stood on the steps in Selma, Alabama, screeching "segregation today and segregation tomorrow" The Klan ruled and lynchings prevailed and were common place into the 60's. To many from the South, the civil war never ended and no whites were convicted of hate crimes.

In respect to women, they stood no chance. In high school, they were encouraged to get a commercial diploma and there role was to be defined as being prepared to enter a typing pool upon graduation. They took typing classes in school and someone had to type as there were no computers. If they did go to college and competed with man they received less pay if they were selected. The thought being they would get married and have kids and leave.

Being a housewife and mother was a full time job. One day a week was wash day. No washing machines. Clothes were placed in a bathtub and with a washboard, they were done. Of course no pampers, just cloth diapers and they were washed daily. Now they were hung on the line to dry. If you lived in a apartment house that consisted of two lines, held by a pully and attached to a wall. With a clothes pin they were hung. In case of rain they had to be reeled in and done again.

Cooking was a all day affair. No frozen foods, no microwave, everything was made from scratch.

Bottom line was women had no time to work. The man was expected to provide and the women to stay home and take care of that end.

As a kid you never understood this and it was a great place to grow up. Grownups had different ideas.

Harvey
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #26
Furienna

I didn't know, that female students were paid less than male students. But now that you mention it, I have heard stories about girls, who weren't allowed to get an education, because they were "supposed to get married anyway". (And of course, married women weren't supposed to work outside their home.) Like one of my mother's cousins wanted to become a nurse, but her parents wouldn't let her, because they didn't want to waste any money on a girl's education.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
lilhave

I grew up in that era and please take my word for it. Most men could not type and the only way to learn was to take a course in high school. If a male did he was scoffed at, ridiculed and laughed at. In college where book reports and term papers had to be typed, double spaced, guys paid girls to type their papers for them. A girl in college didn't do it but a neighborhood girl to make a few bucks. I graduated with a BBA and a masters in marketing. Turned out to be worthless but I did. In all those years, if memory stands there were three girls in my class. The only major they were in was education as many men didn't want to teach.

The term "career women" was not in vogue and if a women didn't get married by her early 20's she was a spinster and something was wrong with her. Prejudice and bias were still big in the 50's.

Women didn't have to serve on juries as their place was in the home.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
D-Dey
Win The War!

Furienna, lilhave is 100% right about the status of Blacks and Women of the 1950's. I wasn't born until several months after the Selma-to-Montgomery Voting Rights march, but if I had been in my 20s through 40's at the time, I would've had to stop myself from driving down to Alabama and killing some cops and Klansmen.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
Big C
I Heart Angie Watson

If you hated the Yankees, it was the worst of times- made all but two Fall Classics.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #30
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
I didn't know, that female students were paid less than male students. But now that you mention it, I have heard stories about girls, who weren't allowed to get an education, because they were "supposed to get married anyway". (And of course, married women weren't supposed to work outside their home.) Like one of my mother's cousins wanted to become a nurse, but her parents wouldn't let her, because they didn't want to waste any money on a girl's education.
Sickening, isn't it??