Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights
Jim Carrey Comedy and Shameless Premiere Sept. 9; Sabrina Star Gets GSN Game Show
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 11, 2018)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #106
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
It's right here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...=147794&page=5
(Post #63)

I don't really expect those who love marijuana to believe anything negative about it anyway.
ad hominem

Try attacking the points that have been made instead of the person making the points, it would be a good step in improving your debating skills..and so far, I don't believe you've refuted anything, or even attempted to refute any of the points made.

The problem with your "quotes" is that you failed to mention is they're directed toward teens using marijuana. Legalization wouldn't likely allow teens to smoke it, nor does anyone think getting ripped and then going to school is a good idea.

In the thousands of years marijuana has been used, guess how many documented cases there are of marijuana causing cancer?

Hint: It starts with a "z", and ends with an "ero".

And as for your claim that there is a correlation with smoking pot and being violent...that's one of the more laughable claims you've made, right up there with the gateway effect. The only "violence" someone feels after smoking pot is how fast and viciously they can tear apart a bag of cheetos. Take a look at a majority of these links, they send that ridiculous claim right down the toilet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ce&btnG=Search
Dutabi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #107
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Speaking of that, do you know what the biggest problems in school were back then regarding children?
- Running in the halls
- Chewing gum
- Talking in class

In the 1990s and later, it is:
- Illegal drugs
- Teen pregnancy
- Guns in school

(I'm sure glad I didn't have to worry about some other kid packing a gun when I was in school in the '60s and '70s!)
And this is a direct response to people living together before marriage and other "immoral" things, correct? Except not.

Quote:
And there are many people out there who know friends who ruined their lives by starting with marijuana.
But statistics show that the vast majority DON'T ruin their lives by smoking marijuana.

Quote:
We may be living in a faster world, but no way is it more stressful or pressure-packed than the '30s and '40s. When was the last time you engaged in an air-raid drill? Or saw a house with a bomb shelter? When was the last time your father skipped dinner because there wasn't enough food to go around for the whole family?
But I thought the US still had morals then? Air raids and bomb shelters?
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #108
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
ad hominem

Try attacking the points that have been made instead of the person making the points, it would be a good step in improving your debating skills..and so far, I don't believe you've refuted anything, or even attempted to refute any of the points made.

The problem with your "quotes" is that you failed to mention is they're directed toward teens using marijuana. Legalization wouldn't likely allow teens to smoke it, nor does anyone think getting ripped and then going to school is a good idea.

In the thousands of years marijuana has been used, guess how many documented cases there are of marijuana causing cancer?

Hint: It starts with a "z", and ends with an "ero".

And as for your claim that there is a correlation with smoking pot and being violent...that's one of the more laughable claims you've made, right up there with the gateway effect. The only "violence" someone feels after smoking pot is how fast and viciously they can tear apart a bag of cheetos. Take a look at a majority of these links, they send that ridiculous claim right down the toilet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ce&btnG=Search
What a lovely list of links. Thanks for posting that.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #109
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,728
Default

Never have I come across or heard about someone violent and aggressive while under marijuana.

This just keeps getting more laughable...

Last edited by JamesG; 02-25-2009 at 11:03 PM.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #110
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,728
Default

Quote:
Dutabi84 - Legalization wouldn't likely allow teens to smoke it, nor does anyone think getting ripped and then going to school is a good idea.
Absolutely right. When/If marijuana becomes legal it will most likely be for 18+ or 21+; with the exception of doctor's prescription for medical use otherwise.

Guaranteed those in high school and younger will not be allowed to purchase it.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #111
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,137
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Never have I come across or heard about someone violent and aggressive while under marijuana.

This just keeps getting more laughable...
And you have conducted studies with how many thousands of people?
__________________
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #112
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,137
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
What a lovely list of links. Thanks for posting that.
And of course a Google search is ironclad!

You can find just about anything you want on an internet search. But how much of it is accurate?
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #113
Hollow
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Dec 16, 2001
Posts: 30,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
And of course a Google search is ironclad!

You can find just about anything you want on an internet search. But how much of it is accurate?
didn't you also cite a web site as your source?
Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #114
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,137
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
And this is a direct response to people living together before marriage and other "immoral" things, correct? Except not.
More like kids were more likely to have (2) parents and parents that were strict. And a society with high values and morals in general.

Quote:
But statistics show that the vast majority DON'T ruin their lives by smoking marijuana.
Does Reverend Jim know about that "fact?"

Quote:
But I thought the US still had morals then? Air raids and bomb shelters?
There can still be morals during a Cold War. Read up on it!
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #115
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
And you have conducted studies with how many thousands of people?
I ask the same to you.

The evidence out there speaks for itself. Marijuana does not cause people to act violently. That is just absurd.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #116
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,137
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
didn't you also cite a web site as your source?
When I originally posted about this subject, I used sources such as the AMA (American Medical Association),
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #117
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,137
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
ad hominem

Try attacking the points that have been made instead of the person making the points, it would be a good step in improving your debating skills..and so far, I don't believe you've refuted anything, or even attempted to refute any of the points made.

The problem with your "quotes" is that you failed to mention is they're directed toward teens using marijuana. Legalization wouldn't likely allow teens to smoke it, nor does anyone think getting ripped and then going to school is a good idea.

In the thousands of years marijuana has been used, guess how many documented cases there are of marijuana causing cancer?

Hint: It starts with a "z", and ends with an "ero".

And as for your claim that there is a correlation with smoking pot and being violent...that's one of the more laughable claims you've made, right up there with the gateway effect. The only "violence" someone feels after smoking pot is how fast and viciously they can tear apart a bag of cheetos. Take a look at a majority of these links, they send that ridiculous claim right down the toilet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ce&btnG=Search
You do realize you are setting a very poor example for any teens who visit this site?
I hope they listen to me and not you.

And how many documented cases have there been regarding marijuana and cancer? How many studies have been done on that? Marijuana smoke contains more cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) than is found in tobacco smoke.
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #118
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
You do realize you are setting a very poor example for any teens who visit this site?
I hope they listen to me and not you.

And how many documented cases have there been regarding marijuana and cancer? How many studies have been done on that? Marijuana smoke contains more cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) than is found in tobacco smoke.
Oh that's great. You label someone as a bad example because they don't agree with you. Don't try to sound all righteous.

About the tobacco vs. marijuana smoke, it could be true that marijuana contains more carcinogens but you have to also take in one important fact.

The cigarette companies add extra crap to it; such as nicotine. That makes you want more of it and that is why so many more people chain-smoke cigarettes.

People, at least the ones I am familiar with, don't nearly smoke as much marijuana as those that do with tobacco. I know of no chain-weed smokers. So the tobacco smokers take in more of the material than the marijuana smokers do.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #119
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
More like kids were more likely to have (2) parents and parents that were strict. And a society with high values and morals in general.
If you think that having two strict parents is going to save the world, you're sadly mistaken. Sadly mistaken. The two kids who did the Columbine shootings both came from two strict parents.

Quote:
Does Reverend Jim know about that "fact?"
Trying to be funny does not change it.

Quote:
There can still be morals during a Cold War. Read up on it!
Did a whole entire project on it!

Your "morals" didn't keep the US out of the Cold War, did it?
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #120
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
And of course a Google search is ironclad!

You can find just about anything you want on an internet search. But how much of it is accurate?
A Google search that sends you to social and scientific studies is quite reliable.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.