Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #61
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT

Honestly, if he wasn't such a tragic butterface, I'd hit that before I'd hit a joint.

Yah, unfortunately he wasn't gifted in the looks dept. was he? Exactly. It just proves that it hasn't slowed him down (for those with the argument that you just get lazy using it).

Again, people are going to go on to use whatever they will - there's no pot dealer out there twisting anyone's arms to use harder drugs. And while we're at it, let's look at the addicting qualities of caffiene and how bad it can be for your health!! It's gotten so bad out there that they're now having to crack down on pop and those stupid "Red Bull" type "energy" drinks in schools.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #62
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to BlairsQueenOfMyJeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
^ Because for some reason, Fleet thinks that alcohol abuse doesn't lead to more powerful drugs "like LSD, Meth, Heroin". Why the blinders there I'll never figure out.

The truth is that most kids START with booze, then might try grass, and MAY try other drugs.

The kids that don't get into the booze usually stay away from drugs entirely also. But for some reason he doesn't see a problem with alcohol - likes to blame it on something he has little knowledge about and has openly said he's never even tried - so how does he know?

I started with booze then moved to grass - that's it. I've held down great jobs - it's never affected my professional or personal life at all. Had I stayed with booze, I'd probably be a drunk like my father was.

You'll NEVER convince this guy trust me. He prefers to listen to the gov't propaganda that's been put out there for years. There will always be people who are closed minded to it. Luckily they're becoming more and more in the minority.

LOL yeah he must of been one of those 5th graders who graduated Valedictorian in D.A.R.E.
I'd LOVE to see him in the streets of Amsterdam.

Chrissy

Last edited by BlairsQueenOfMyJeans : 02-25-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #63
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
I would, fleet, but since only roughly 1% of those who try marijuana actually go on to regularly use cocaine, and even a smaller percentage of other hard drugs, those people are pretty hard to find.

Do you have a source to back up that 1% claim?

Quote:
Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like marijuana, cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with caffeine.

Do you have statistics to back up that claim?

Quote:
Who knows it isn't true? Those who plug their ears and say "LALALALALALALA" whenever one of the many studies done on it show that marijuana is not a gateway drug is presented to them? The only "gateway" effect marijuana has is the fact it's illegal, which means many drug dealers are going to sell pot right along with other hard drugs, thus exposing harder drugs to those who want pot.

That's fine if nothing will change your mind. Fortunately, a majority of Americans are reasonable enough to see through the nonsense and lies that we've been hearing since the 30's

Unfortunately, we have been witnessing the decay of society and morals in general. Which includes the "acceptance" of things like mind-alterting drugs, abortion, open sex and unmarried couples living together.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #64
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
LOL yeah he must of been one of those 5th graders who graduated Valedictorian in D.A.R.E. .

You seem to be a little confused. You should praise anyone who discourages drug use. Of course I do realize that this is 2009 where a lot of things (like approving of mind-altering drugs) are backwards. And there was no D.A.R.E. program when I was in the 5th grade in the 1960s.

Quote:
I'd LOVE to see him in the streets of Amsterdam

No thanks. I'm staying right here in the USA, where there are still some common sense laws.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #65
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet

Um, how about you? Do YOU have statistics to back up this BS you continue to post claiming marijuana is this horrible, dangerous and gateway drug? Come on, lets see it. I've yet to see any scientific proof or statistics in any of your posts claiming marijuana is any of these things you say it is. But, do you have proof? No. Your one those hundreds of thousands of people who are sucked into all this garbage that the federal government, your parents, your middle school health teacher, your pastor or who the heck ever else tells you.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #66
JT

Quote:
Unfortunately, we have been witnessing the decay of society and morals in general. Which includes the "acceptance" of things like mind-alterting drugs, abortion, open sex and unmarried couples living together.

And subjectivity rears its head. What I think is moral should be what everyone else thinks it moral, duhhhh yall. Why didn't you just say this from the very beginning? Instead of hiding behind baseless claims?

And FWIW, issues such as abortion, open sex, and unmarried couples rarely cause problems until the people who oppose get offended. There aren't any facts and figures to back that up because it's just common sense gained from observation.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #67
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
And subjectivity rears its head. What I think is moral should be what everyone else thinks it moral, duhhhh yall. Why didn't you just say this from the very beginning? Instead of hiding behind baseless claims?

And FWIW, issues such as abortion, open sex, and unmarried couples rarely cause problems until the people who oppose get offended. There aren't any facts and figures to back that up because it's just common sense gained from observation.

I was going to reply something similar... I agree.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #68
JT

Quote:

I don't know Dutabi84 got the 1% figure from, but I found this:

Myth #5: Marijuana leads to harder drugs (the "gateway theory").

* Fact #1 Over 70 million people have tried marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the vast majority of people, marijuana is the last drug they try, not a "gateway" to other drugs. If it were a gateway drug and if it were so addictive, we would have more than 3 million heroin and cocaine addicts in the U.S.

* Fact #2 Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs such as heroin, cocaine and LSD are likely to have also tried marijuana.

From here: http://www.changetheclimate.org/facts/

And this:

Claim #4: "Today's youthful marijuana users ... are tomorrow's cocaine addicts." 11 According to the most recent literature from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the majority of marijuana users do not become dependent or move on to use other illegal drugs. 12 This stands to reason when one realizes that an estimated 70 million Americans have experimented with marijuana at some point in their lives, the majority of whom never went on to use cocaine. 13 Therefore, while it may be true that some cocaine users did first use marijuana as an adolescent, the far more important fact is that the overwhelming number of teen marijuana users never go on to use cocaine or any other illegal narcotic. 14

From here: http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/OB_a..._use_0696.html

And there's also this piece of beauty: http://www.ukcia.org/research/gateway.htm
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #69
JT

Quote:
Yah, unfortunately he wasn't gifted in the looks dept. was he? Exactly. It just proves that it hasn't slowed him down (for those with the argument that you just get lazy using it).

Again, people are going to go on to use whatever they will - there's no pot dealer out there twisting anyone's arms to use harder drugs. And while we're at it, let's look at the addicting qualities of caffiene and how bad it can be for your health!! It's gotten so bad out there that they're now having to crack down on pop and those stupid "Red Bull" type "energy" drinks in schools.
Well there ya go! Weed makes you fugly! Just look at Michael Phelps's face!!

I better hush and not give them any ideas lol
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #70
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5490
Quote:
"Statistically, for every 104 Americans who have tried marijuana, there is only one regular user of cocaine, and less than one user of heroin," St. Pierre said. "For the overwhelming majority of marijuana smokers, pot is clearly a 'terminus' rather than a gateway."
http://www.rand.org/news/press.02/gateway.html
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/study...rug-12116.html
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/gateway.html

Quote:

Don't ask stupid questions, as I will not answer them.

Quote:

You're right, Fleet. We need stronger morals. Drug dealers need to keep reeling in hundreds of thousands of untaxed dollars. So what if it would inject a massive boost in the struggling economy? Who needs thousands of more jobs when you can just be moral? We need more homes raided by the DEA. Those who suffer from chronic pain and illness need to just grow a pair of balls. Who cares if the cannabinoids within marijuana has been shown to slow tumor growth? Suffer from uncontrollable nausea from cancer? Tough. BE MORAL!!! Have multiple sclerosis and marijuana is the most effective treatment? Be moral and suffer.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #71
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:

OMG - so THAT'S what happened to me!!!

Because I used pot, I was stood up at the alter by a CATHOLIC guy who still lived with his parents, never used pot, who isn't into drinking or drugs of any kind - including asprins!!! Yet funny, how because of HIM, I had to live commonlaw for 13 years against my wishes. (Why? Because I guess I just immorally loved him so much rather than JUDGING his actions) Was it because we had "OPEN SEX" (whatever that means) in his car at one point?

OMG - I really AM such a scab on society's morals aren't I??? Yes, I should have been jailed long ago for my decadent, immoral behaviour. Although because our prisons are already jammed with repeat offenders (drunk drivers anyone) I guess they just didn't have room for me so I've been allowed to wander loose and hook little kids onto drugs, hard drugs, and open sex.

But I'll bet you'd fight for the right to carry a gun!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #72
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
but contrary to popular belief there are actually human beings on this earth who obey the law, even if it's just because they're afraid of getting caught.

I just wanted to make a quick remark regarding this statement...

Just because something is within the laws of the land does not make it right.

There was a time when women could not vote or own property, blacks were slaves and not viewed as being human, blacks could not do many things that white people can do when slavery was abolished; all according to what was written in the law at the time.

It is unwise to blindly follow something just because it is within the laws and you are afriad of getting caught. If nobody fights against what they view as a wrongdoing you allow the injustice to continue.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #73
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan

Quote:
The truth is that most kids START with booze

I was waiting for someone to say that. I absolutely agree that ALCOHOL is the real gateway drug! The very first thing I ever did was drink alcohol. I would go to parties and get wasted all the time. Than, I figured, If I can be drunk, maybe I can be high? So, I then tried marijuana... and you know what? Have never anything else since. I'm completely satisfied with pot I don't believe I need any other harsh potentially harmful drug. Marijuana is not a gateway drug because, I believe the majority of people who tried it, were satisfied with it so they settle with it, they don't need any of those other harsh drugs.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #74
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I just wanted to make a quick remark regarding this statement...

Just because something is within the laws of the land does not make it right.

There was a time when women could not vote or own property, blacks were slaves and not viewed as being human, blacks could not do many things that white people can do when slavery was abolished; all according to what was written in the law at the time.

It is unwise to blindly follow something just because it is within the laws and you are afriad of getting caught. If nobody fights against what they view as a wrongdoing you allow the injustice to continue.
I think what safety pin (is it Sarah?) means is that most people don't care enough one way or the other to try to change the law. Whether having weed or not is bad for you (and we know it's really not), it's still against the law in most places, and so unless you plan to go out there and make a stand, you really shouldn't have any. I wish I could be confident and brave enough to do it, but I'm not, and so I don't smoke weed or keep any near me.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #75
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
I was waiting for someone to say that. I absolutely agree that ALCOHOL is the real gateway drug! The very first thing I ever did was drink alcohol. I would go to parties and get wasted all the time. Than, I figured, If I can be drunk, maybe I can be high? So, I then tried marijuana... and you know what? Have never anything else since. I'm completely satisfied with pot I don't believe I need any other harsh potentially harmful drug. Marijuana is not a gateway drug because, I believe the majority of people who tried it, were satisfied with it so they settle with it, they don't need any of those other harsh drugs.
Tell it! This is purely speculation, so there's no facts or figures to back it up, but I'd be willing to bet that most people who go on to other drugs aren't smoking weed just for ****s and giggles. They probably have real issues underneath.