Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #46
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now
 
Pusy Galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 14, 2003
Location: Heartbreak Ridge
Posts: 11,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because Oh, its legal. How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one? .

That's EXACTLY one of the main reasons that they SHOULD legalize it. Right now, it's being grown by anybody out there. And I understand the big thing lately is the lace the stuff with a more powerful drug like coke. If it were made legal, properly regulated and grown by regulated facilities and packaged properly so that it couldn't be tampered with, isn't that better??? And if someone is going to "lace" it after purchase, well hell, they're the type that would also drink shave lotion in place of alcohol anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.

Come on, get real here - that's stretching it somewhat isn't it? Grass isn't nearly what those drugs are. That's like saying well then, since booze is legal, then those drugs should also be legalized - no different - if anything, as stated before, booze is more deadly than grass so it would be a bit more closer comparison, but still is a stupid argument.
__________________
If I don't see you in this world, I'll meet you in the next one.....don't be late

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile


The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #47
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now
 
Pusy Galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 14, 2003
Location: Heartbreak Ridge
Posts: 11,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisingdad2004
Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.

Actually, marijuana has never been truly "legal" in the Netherlands. It was decriminalized decades ago. Cafes were allowed to sprout up and that's where the smoking was to be done. This is to satisfy the needs of those like you who didn't want their children around it. A legal age was set to go into those cafes. If you are caught with a small amount of pot on you (an ounce or less) the cops will leave you alone. It's still the same. The only thing that changed is that they shut down some shops because they were expanding into "neighbourhood" areas rather than being mainly in designated tourist areas. It's like strip joints - they're there, but shouldn't be in family neighbourhoods. Again, regulation is the answer here. Nobody's talking about allowing everyone to run out and smoke grass anywhere, anytime they liked, or drive under the influence.

Geez, Chicken Littles everywhere!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #48
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because Oh, its legal. How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.

So what's going to stop people who want to use PCP from mixing it with tobacco? Or using it in any other form? And as already stated, any laws legalizing marijuana would probably state that you can't use it in public, which immediately solves your last question.

If you say they might as well legalize all those other drugs along with marijuana, you must be suggesting that they're somehow the same. I'm really interested in hearing your reasoning behind that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #49
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,089
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
Cut the "gateway" BS.

Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with marijuana.

Quote:
You know what drug these addicts probably used before marijuana? Caffeine.

You can't be serious! I was a big soft drink consumer when I was a teenager, mainly cola drinks which contains caffeine, yet I never was tempted to even think about using marijuana (I had a lot of common sense at an early age).

Quote:
Any legitimate study done on the gateway theory completely, thoroughly debunks it

Those at hospitals and police departments know it's true. Not for everybody, but for many.
Anyway, I think the proposed bill is a stupid idea and nothing will change my mind.
__________________
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #50
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with marijuana.

As I had mentioned before if you choose to go on the harder stuff then that is your choice.

There has been nothing that proves that marijuana is a drug that MAKES you go on to other things.

Many people I know who use/have used marijuana for years have never touched any of the hard stuff.

This gateway thing simply has no merit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #51
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisingdad2004
Does anybody know of a country where Marijuana is legal? There isn't one that I am aware of anywhere, not in the Americas, not in Europe, certainly not in Asia. That tells you something. Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.

There may be others but one country that I know of where cannabis is government regulated is in India.

It is for the use in certain Hindu rituals and government operated shops sell cannabis in the form of bhang. Bhang is either a beverage or smoked and it is believed it enhances meditation and used to achieve transcendental states.

Many other countries around the world have marijuana illegal but decriminalized. Some countries are more strict about it than others are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #52
JT
Moderator
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with marijuana.

Them moving on to other drugs has much less to do with the marijuana and much more to do with the fact that marijuana, like the others, is illegal and will get you in jail. If marijuana wasn't on the same level as the others, the gap between it and the others would most definitely end any "gateway drug" theory.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #53
JT
Moderator
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Here is my report on what led up to marijuana being made illegal in the US:

Just Why Exactly Is Marijuana Illegal?

With origins going back to 7000 B.C. marijuana is not a new drug.

Over the years, the hemp plant became widely used for fabric, food, incense, and rope. One of the first laws regarding the hemp plant was in the Virginia Colony enacted in 1619 that ordered all farmers to grow it. Hemp was such a requirement for war materials and a necessities that the government made laws to ensure its growth. Marijuana became known as a "gateway drug" and outlawed only recently in the 1900s.

In the early 1900s, there was a lot of tension between Mexican-Americans and the western state population. The Mexican Revolution in 1910 spread across the border and brought many Mexicans into the United States. These Mexicans happened to smoke marijuana and brought the hemp plants along with them. The Mormons were the ones responsible for outlawing marijuana, as they were not pleased with the Mormons who traveled to Mexico and came back with the hemp plants. The state of Utah outlawed marijuana in 1915 and soon after many states followed suit. These laws were targeted against the Mexican-American population.

Over on the east coast the jazz scene was booming. Majority of the jazz musicians were African-American and Latino. Jazz and marijuana traveled from New Orleans to Chicago and then all the way down to Harlem, becoming a very important part of the jazz scene. Racism was once again a factor in laws against marijuana as the news reported that this drug influenced violence against white people.

From 1919-1933 the US was dealing with the Alcohol Prohibition. This was a huge controversy at the time, as it was debated that the federal government did not have the authority to outlaw alcohol and drugs. The Prohibition required an amendment on the Constitution to get it passed. Drugs could not be outlawed so the government taxed marijuana, as well as opiates and cocaine. However, the war against drugs did not begin until 1930 when the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was establsihed.

Harry J. Anslinger was the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics who saw it as a great career opportunity. When he realized that opium and cocaine would not be enough for his agency he then started to work on trying to get marijuana illegal federally. He used racism and violence to install fear into the people on the effects of marijuana and said things like, "Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." and "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

Helping Anslinger along was William Randolph Hearst who at the time owned huge chains of newspapers. He hated the Mexicans due to losing 800,00 acres of his land to Pancho Villa. He also invested in the timber industry and did not want to see hemp paper is competition. Hearst went on to write many false stories about murderers killing people because of marijuana and the selling of it to children.

In the year 1937, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics passed a bill to Congress to get marijuana outlawed. Congress failed to do a thorough investigation and only saw the sensationalized news reports and saw that the American Medical Association was supporting the bill. On August 2, 1937 marijuana became federally outlawed.

Government propagana, political and career opportunities, and racism were they key factors in getting marijuana outlawed. There are no known people who have died from overdosing on this drug and there is indeed no concrete evidence to prove that it is a gateway drug. With new medical advances and scientific research a real investigation can be done.

Until the people see what exactly marijuana is capable of and its possible medical usage there are no known reasons as to why it needs to be outlawed.
What a shame, really, but it's no surprise at all. Fear trumps truth almost all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #54
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan
 
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Location: Spartenburg, SC
Posts: 33
Send a message via AIM to BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Sorry, but "I don't think so" is not good enough. As far as children go, marijuana use should be discouraged and that would be hard to do by making it legal!

Sorry to sound like a b****, but I seriously think you need to grab reality and hold on tight. Seriously it's people like you that made marijuana legalization take THIS long to happen with your ignorant knowlege and assumptions about it that have no scientific evidence around it whatsoever. I think it's marvelous that congress is now admitting what took them nearly thousands of years, that they were wrong. I think they now realise how ridiculous it is letting murderers and criminals out of prison so they can make space for people who get in trouble for having a single joint or a bowl. Let me ask you this, if the government can trust people with all the risk factors towards alcohol, why not marijuana which is 10x safer?
__________________
marilize legaljuana

Chrissy
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #55
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now
 
Pusy Galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 14, 2003
Location: Heartbreak Ridge
Posts: 11,990
Default

^ Because for some reason, Fleet thinks that alcohol abuse doesn't lead to more powerful drugs "like LSD, Meth, Heroin". Why the blinders there I'll never figure out.

The truth is that most kids START with booze, then might try grass, and MAY try other drugs.

The kids that don't get into the booze usually stay away from drugs entirely also. But for some reason he doesn't see a problem with alcohol - likes to blame it on something he has little knowledge about and has openly said he's never even tried - so how does he know?

I started with booze then moved to grass - that's it. I've held down great jobs - it's never affected my professional or personal life at all. Had I stayed with booze, I'd probably be a drunk like my father was.

You'll NEVER convince this guy trust me. He prefers to listen to the gov't propaganda that's been put out there for years. There will always be people who are closed minded to it. Luckily they're becoming more and more in the minority.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #56
MonarC
Senior Member
The truth will set you free
 
MonarC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 05, 2002
Location: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Posts: 9,514
Thumbs up

I think that so many people are scared of Marijuana because they teach us in school that it's so horrible and it's a 'gateway' drug and all this BS. When in fact tobacco is waaaaaay worse and way more harmful to you than MaryJane. It's crazy how people just believe what they are told and don't do the research themselves. Marijuana has so many other uses other then just to 'get high' it is a miracle plant.

Hemp seeds produce high-grade vegetable oil for cooking, cosmetics, soaps, shampoos, lubrication, fuel, plastics, etc. The seed is a cholesterol-lowering source of full protein. It also posseses omegas, the essential fatty acids that are critical to human nureological and immunological well-being.... Cannabis has important medical value for easing pain, relieving stress and treating illnesses from glaucoma to cancer to nausea to AIDS and beyond. for more info click the link below.

http://www.equalrights4all.org/bach/uses_of_hemp.htm

Last edited by MonarC : 02-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #57
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with marijuana.

I would, fleet, but since only roughly 1% of those who try marijuana actually go on to regularly use cocaine, and even a smaller percentage of other hard drugs, those people are pretty hard to find.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
You can't be serious! I was a big soft drink consumer when I was a teenager, mainly cola drinks which contains caffeine, yet I never was tempted to even think about using marijuana (I had a lot of common sense at an early age).

Be sure to tell that to the many who moved on to drugs like marijuana, cocaine, LSD, etc after starting with caffeine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Those at hospitals and police departments know it's true. Not for everybody, but for many.
Anyway, I think the proposed bill is a stupid idea and nothing will change my mind.

Who knows it isn't true? Those who plug their ears and say "LALALALALALALA" whenever one of the many studies done on it show that marijuana is not a gateway drug is presented to them? The only "gateway" effect marijuana has is the fact it's illegal, which means many drug dealers are going to sell pot right along with other hard drugs, thus exposing harder drugs to those who want pot.

That's fine if nothing will change your mind. Fortunately, a majority of Americans are reasonable enough to see through the nonsense and lies that we've been hearing since the 30's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #58
JT
Moderator
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
^ Because for some reason, Fleet thinks that alcohol abuse doesn't lead to more powerful drugs "like LSD, Meth, Heroin". Why the blinders there I'll never figure out.

The truth is that most kids START with booze, then might try grass, and MAY try other drugs.

The kids that don't get into the booze usually stay away from drugs entirely also. But for some reason he doesn't see a problem with alcohol - likes to blame it on something he has little knowledge about and has openly said he's never even tried - so how does he know?

I started with booze then moved to grass - that's it. I've held down great jobs - it's never affected my professional or personal life at all. Had I stayed with booze, I'd probably be a drunk like my father was.

You'll NEVER convince this guy trust me. He prefers to listen to the gov't propaganda that's been put out there for years. There will always be people who are closed minded to it. Luckily they're becoming more and more in the minority.
I hear that there's supposedly this fabulous Olympic swimmer who has more gold medals than anyone else in history, and he smoked pot once, too. You may have heard of him
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #59
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
I hear that there's supposedly this fabulous Olympic swimmer who has more gold medals than anyone else in history, and he smoked pot once, too. You may have heard of him
Attached Images
 
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #60
JT
Moderator
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,068
Default



Honestly, if he wasn't such a tragic butterface, I'd hit that before I'd hit a joint.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.