Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Comedy Central Acquires Animated Comedy Favorites; Shout! to Release Saved by the Bell Collection With Previously Unreleased Episodes
New Multicast Network Start TV Launches Sept. 3 with Female Dramas; Insatiable Premieres Aug. 10 with Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano
Showtime Gets Jillian Bell for Comedy; Rev Run Sitcom Preview
Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #31
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
I'm not surprised.

No, I haven't read too much about it, but I've read enough to know that it's really silly for it to be illegal. There are much more dangerous things out there that are legal. Guns, for example. Guns have played a part in killing people [insert outrageously high number] times more than ol' Mary J. has.
I wrote a small report about the history of this for my law class. I'm trying to dig it up and I will put it here when I get a chance to get a hold of it.
Short but very informative.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #32
Brieannas21
Member
Senior Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,774
Default

Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because ďOh, itís legal.Ē How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #33
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because “Oh, it’s legal.” How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.
The best thing to do is to legalize and regulate them rigidly.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #34
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,960
Default

Here is my report on what led up to marijuana being made illegal in the US:

Just Why Exactly Is Marijuana Illegal?

With origins going back to 7000 B.C. marijuana is not a new drug.

Over the years, the hemp plant became widely used for fabric, food, incense, and rope. One of the first laws regarding the hemp plant was in the Virginia Colony enacted in 1619 that ordered all farmers to grow it. Hemp was such a requirement for war materials and a necessities that the government made laws to ensure its growth. Marijuana became known as a "gateway drug" and outlawed only recently in the 1900s.

In the early 1900s, there was a lot of tension between Mexican-Americans and the western state population. The Mexican Revolution in 1910 spread across the border and brought many Mexicans into the United States. These Mexicans happened to smoke marijuana and brought the hemp plants along with them. The Mormons were the ones responsible for outlawing marijuana, as they were not pleased with the Mormons who traveled to Mexico and came back with the hemp plants. The state of Utah outlawed marijuana in 1915 and soon after many states followed suit. These laws were targeted against the Mexican-American population.

Over on the east coast the jazz scene was booming. Majority of the jazz musicians were African-American and Latino. Jazz and marijuana traveled from New Orleans to Chicago and then all the way down to Harlem, becoming a very important part of the jazz scene. Racism was once again a factor in laws against marijuana as the news reported that this drug influenced violence against white people.

From 1919-1933 the US was dealing with the Alcohol Prohibition. This was a huge controversy at the time, as it was debated that the federal government did not have the authority to outlaw alcohol and drugs. The Prohibition required an amendment on the Constitution to get it passed. Drugs could not be outlawed so the government taxed marijuana, as well as opiates and cocaine. However, the war against drugs did not begin until 1930 when the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was establsihed.

Harry J. Anslinger was the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics who saw it as a great career opportunity. When he realized that opium and cocaine would not be enough for his agency he then started to work on trying to get marijuana illegal federally. He used racism and violence to install fear into the people on the effects of marijuana and said things like, "Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." and "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

Helping Anslinger along was William Randolph Hearst who at the time owned huge chains of newspapers. He hated the Mexicans due to losing 800,000 acres of his land to Pancho Villa. He also invested in the timber industry and did not want to see hemp paper is competition. Hearst went on to write many false stories about murderers killing people because of marijuana and the selling of it to children.

In the year 1937, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics passed a bill to Congress to get marijuana outlawed. Congress failed to do a thorough investigation and only saw the sensationalized news reports and saw that the American Medical Association was supporting the bill. On August 2, 1937 marijuana became federally outlawed.

Government propaganda, political and career opportunities, and racism were the key factors in getting marijuana outlawed. There are no known people who have died from overdosing on this drug and there is indeed no concrete evidence to prove that it is a gateway drug. With new medical advances in scientific research a real investigation can be done.

Until the people see what exactly marijuana is capable of and its possible medical usage there are no known reasons as to why it needs to be outlawed.

Last edited by JamesG; 02-25-2009 at 11:06 AM.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #35
Lee
veteran member
Senior Member
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Location: Pulaski, Tennessee
Posts: 4,378
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The best thing to do is to legalize and regulate them rigidly.
If you want to legalize three potentially lethal drugs, go right ahead, but don't
blame decent and law abiding citizens like me when young people start
dropping like flies around this fine country of ours.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #36
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
If you want to legalize three potentially lethal drugs, go right ahead, but don't
blame decent and law abiding citizens like me when young people start
dropping like flies around this fine country of ours.
They were legal in the US at one time. This is not anything new.
There are lots of lethal drugs in the US legal now but they are highly regulated and given when necessary.

The drugs have to be regulated.

And what exactly are you implying by the decent and law abiding citizen remark?
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #37
Brieannas21
Member
Senior Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
They were legal in the US at one time. This is not anything new.
There are lots of lethal drugs in the US legal now but they are highly regulated and given when necessary.

The drugs have to be regulated.

And what exactly are you implying by the decent and law abiding citizen remark?
The reason they became illegal is because of young and old people abusing them and dying. It was also legal at one time for children to drink alcohol. So should be legalize again so that children can now smoke and drink? Letís get real.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #38
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
The reason they became illegal is because of young and old people abusing them and dying. It was also legal at one time for children to drink alcohol. So should be legalize again so that children can now smoke and drink? Let’s get real.
The regulation will help prevent the drug abuse. Outlawing the drugs only made the outcome worse. The substances weren't really controlled well in those days.

Regarding alcohol, some say they should have no restrictions and that it is up to whoever is in charge of the child to have a say in what goes on. Could that work, perhaps. But still bars and liqour stores will have their business requirements with who can purchase alcohol from them.

Other countries have the drinking age lower than we do but that is their business. There are still countries today with no age restrictions on alcohol.

Last edited by JamesG; 02-24-2009 at 11:16 PM.
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #39
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because “Oh, it’s legal.” How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.
Drinking also can cause people to go nuts, crazy, ape****, but that's not illegal. There are laws against drinking and driving and other alcohol-related offenses, so why wouldn't there be any against marijuana-related offenses? The idea here isn't to say, "Well, smoke all the weed you want, do whatever you want, we don't care." The idea is to say that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and should be seen as such by the law. Also, people can lace anything with anything. I could put heroin or meth into a pitcher of lemonade and no one would know it. Should we outlaw lemonade?

To me, the legalization of marijuana would not mean letting potheads run naked through the streets when they want to, or that what drug dealers do would automatically exist without penalty, or that dope would be free for anyone who wants it. Just like one needs a license to sell alcohol, there would be a license to sell marijuana. Just like it's illegal to drive with too much alcohol in your system, it would be illegal to drive with too much marijuana in your system. Just like you'd have to be a certain age to drink and smoke cigarettes, you'd have to be a certain age to smoke marijuana.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #40
Brieannas21
Member
Senior Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Drinking also can cause people to go nuts, crazy, ape****, but that's not illegal. There are laws against drinking and driving and other alcohol-related offenses, so why wouldn't there be any against marijuana-related offenses? The idea here isn't to say, "Well, smoke all the weed you want, do whatever you want, we don't care." The idea is to say that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and should be seen as such by the law. Also, people can lace anything with anything. I could put heroin or meth into a pitcher of lemonade and no one would know it. Should we outlaw lemonade?

To me, the legalization of marijuana would not mean letting potheads run naked through the streets when they want to, or that what drug dealers do would automatically exist without penalty, or that dope would be free for anyone who wants it. Just like one needs a license to sell alcohol, there would be a license to sell marijuana. Just like it's illegal to drive with too much alcohol in your system, it would be illegal to drive with too much marijuana in your system. Just like you'd have to be a certain age to drink and smoke cigarettes, you'd have to be a certain age to smoke marijuana.
PCP/Formaldehyde laced/dipped marijuana cigs are EXTREMELY different then drinking alcohol. I have personally seen what it does to a person. I would take a drunk over a person hyped up on PSP any day of the week.

Last edited by Brieannas21; 02-25-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #41
Raisingdad2004
Member
Forum Regular
 
Raisingdad2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 05, 2004
Posts: 712
Default

Does anybody know of a country where Marijuana is legal? There isn't one that I am aware of anywhere, not in the Americas, not in Europe, certainly not in Asia. That tells you something. Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.
__________________
Kaley Cuoco (8 Simple Rules) and Johnny Galecki (Roseanne) star - The Big Bang Theory Site.
Two and a Half Men Fan Site.
Raisingdad2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #42
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
PCP/Formaldehyde laced/dipped marijuana cigs are EXTREMELY different then drinking alcohol. I have personally seen what it does to a person. I would take a drunk over a person hyped up on PSP any day of the week.
But you're not being fair here. A person could just as easily put PCP in a drink. Again, the idea isn't to just let the drug dealers sell their weed and let the users put whatever they want in that weed. It's illegal to put PCP in completely legal foods and drinks, correct? It would also be illegal to put it in marijuana.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #43
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisingdad2004
Does anybody know of a country where Marijuana is legal? There isn't one that I am aware of anywhere, not in the Americas, not in Europe, certainly not in Asia. That tells you something. Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.
There aren't many where it is legal, but there are many, many places where the possession and consumption of certain amounts have been decriminalized. Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Colombia, and the Czech Republic are among the places where one can possess certain amounts with no penalty or weak penalty (usually a fine). There are actually places in the US where the situation is the same. Alaska actually has no penalty for possessing an ounce or less, and it's been like that for over 30 years. Other states have fines, like California, Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, and others.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #44
Brieannas21
Member
Senior Member
 
Brieannas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 05, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
But you're not being fair here. A person could just as easily put PCP in a drink. Again, the idea isn't to just let the drug dealers sell their weed and let the users put whatever they want in that weed. It's illegal to put PCP in completely legal foods and drinks, correct? It would also be illegal to put it in marijuana.

Come on now, be real. You know and I know that PCP is usually smoked, and the fact that you would be able to smoke it out in the open even if it was dipped. Who's gonna know that it was dipped or laced, until people start to go crazy? For all the cops know you were just smoking a joint. I guess you would have to witness what a person looks like when they are high and going crazy when they have smoked a laced marijuana cig. I would not want my little girls to be around it, see it, or smell anyone who's smoking Marijuana. My views on it is that it's wrong and a stupid law. If you're going to legalize one drug just to make money, legalize them all.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 AM   #45
JT
Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 7,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Come on now, be real. You know and I know that PCP is usually smoked, and the fact that you would be able to smoke it out in the open even if it was dipped. Who's gonna know that it was dipped or laced, until people start to go crazy? For all the cops know you were just smoking a joint. I guess you would have to witness what a person looks like when they are high and going crazy when they have smoked a laced marijuana cig. I would not want my little girls to be around it, see it, or smell anyone who's smoking Marijuana. My views on it is that it's wrong and a stupid law. If you're going to legalize one drug just to make money, legalize them all.
PCP in liquid form.

How would you know if a person was drinking plain apple juice or apple juice laced with large amounts of PCP? A worker at a daycare center could put PCP in the children's juice and who would know it until the kids started to go nuts?
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.