Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
I'm not surprised.

No, I haven't read too much about it, but I've read enough to know that it's really silly for it to be illegal. There are much more dangerous things out there that are legal. Guns, for example. Guns have played a part in killing people [insert outrageously high number] times more than ol' Mary J. has.

I wrote a small report about the history of this for my law class. I'm trying to dig it up and I will put it here when I get a chance to get a hold of it.
Short but very informative.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #32
Brieannas21

Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because ďOh, itís legal.Ē How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #33
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because “Oh, it’s legal.” How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Do not legalize something just because your ass is in a tight spot and need money. They might as well legalize Heroin, Meth, and Coke while they are at it.

The best thing to do is to legalize and regulate them rigidly.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #34
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Here is my report on what led up to marijuana being made illegal in the US:

Just Why Exactly Is Marijuana Illegal?

With origins going back to 7000 B.C. marijuana is not a new drug.

Over the years, the hemp plant became widely used for fabric, food, incense, and rope. One of the first laws regarding the hemp plant was in the Virginia Colony enacted in 1619 that ordered all farmers to grow it. Hemp was such a requirement for war materials and a necessities that the government made laws to ensure its growth. Marijuana became known as a "gateway drug" and outlawed only recently in the 1900s.

In the early 1900s, there was a lot of tension between Mexican-Americans and the western state population. The Mexican Revolution in 1910 spread across the border and brought many Mexicans into the United States. These Mexicans happened to smoke marijuana and brought the hemp plants along with them. The Mormons were the ones responsible for outlawing marijuana, as they were not pleased with the Mormons who traveled to Mexico and came back with the hemp plants. The state of Utah outlawed marijuana in 1915 and soon after many states followed suit. These laws were targeted against the Mexican-American population.

Over on the east coast the jazz scene was booming. Majority of the jazz musicians were African-American and Latino. Jazz and marijuana traveled from New Orleans to Chicago and then all the way down to Harlem, becoming a very important part of the jazz scene. Racism was once again a factor in laws against marijuana as the news reported that this drug influenced violence against white people.

From 1919-1933 the US was dealing with the Alcohol Prohibition. This was a huge controversy at the time, as it was debated that the federal government did not have the authority to outlaw alcohol and drugs. The Prohibition required an amendment on the Constitution to get it passed. Drugs could not be outlawed so the government taxed marijuana, as well as opiates and cocaine. However, the war against drugs did not begin until 1930 when the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was establsihed.

Harry J. Anslinger was the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics who saw it as a great career opportunity. When he realized that opium and cocaine would not be enough for his agency he then started to work on trying to get marijuana illegal federally. He used racism and violence to install fear into the people on the effects of marijuana and said things like, "Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men." and "Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

Helping Anslinger along was William Randolph Hearst who at the time owned huge chains of newspapers. He hated the Mexicans due to losing 800,000 acres of his land to Pancho Villa. He also invested in the timber industry and did not want to see hemp paper is competition. Hearst went on to write many false stories about murderers killing people because of marijuana and the selling of it to children.

In the year 1937, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics passed a bill to Congress to get marijuana outlawed. Congress failed to do a thorough investigation and only saw the sensationalized news reports and saw that the American Medical Association was supporting the bill. On August 2, 1937 marijuana became federally outlawed.

Government propaganda, political and career opportunities, and racism were the key factors in getting marijuana outlawed. There are no known people who have died from overdosing on this drug and there is indeed no concrete evidence to prove that it is a gateway drug. With new medical advances in scientific research a real investigation can be done.

Until the people see what exactly marijuana is capable of and its possible medical usage there are no known reasons as to why it needs to be outlawed.

Last edited by JamesG : 02-25-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #35
Lee
veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The best thing to do is to legalize and regulate them rigidly.

If you want to legalize three potentially lethal drugs, go right ahead, but don't
blame decent and law abiding citizens like me when young people start
dropping like flies around this fine country of ours.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
If you want to legalize three potentially lethal drugs, go right ahead, but don't
blame decent and law abiding citizens like me when young people start
dropping like flies around this fine country of ours.

They were legal in the US at one time. This is not anything new.
There are lots of lethal drugs in the US legal now but they are highly regulated and given when necessary.

The drugs have to be regulated.

And what exactly are you implying by the decent and law abiding citizen remark?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
They were legal in the US at one time. This is not anything new.
There are lots of lethal drugs in the US legal now but they are highly regulated and given when necessary.

The drugs have to be regulated.

And what exactly are you implying by the decent and law abiding citizen remark?

The reason they became illegal is because of young and old people abusing them and dying. It was also legal at one time for children to drink alcohol. So should be legalize again so that children can now smoke and drink? Letís get real.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #38
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
The reason they became illegal is because of young and old people abusing them and dying. It was also legal at one time for children to drink alcohol. So should be legalize again so that children can now smoke and drink? Let’s get real.

The regulation will help prevent the drug abuse. Outlawing the drugs only made the outcome worse. The substances weren't really controlled well in those days.

Regarding alcohol, some say they should have no restrictions and that it is up to whoever is in charge of the child to have a say in what goes on. Could that work, perhaps. But still bars and liqour stores will have their business requirements with who can purchase alcohol from them.

Other countries have the drinking age lower than we do but that is their business. There are still countries today with no age restrictions on alcohol.

Last edited by JamesG : 02-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #39
JT

Quote:
Yeah, this would be a terrible law to pass. People would rather legalize a drug than the right for a gay couple to wed? There are things that people put on, in and around Marijuana before they smoke it, that will make them go insane. Fact that they could smoke that, go nuts, crazy, ape **** and yet the law cannot touch them because “Oh, it’s legal.” How can you arrest someone who is smoking a laces joint, or a dipped one?

Drinking also can cause people to go nuts, crazy, ape****, but that's not illegal. There are laws against drinking and driving and other alcohol-related offenses, so why wouldn't there be any against marijuana-related offenses? The idea here isn't to say, "Well, smoke all the weed you want, do whatever you want, we don't care." The idea is to say that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and should be seen as such by the law. Also, people can lace anything with anything. I could put heroin or meth into a pitcher of lemonade and no one would know it. Should we outlaw lemonade?

To me, the legalization of marijuana would not mean letting potheads run naked through the streets when they want to, or that what drug dealers do would automatically exist without penalty, or that dope would be free for anyone who wants it. Just like one needs a license to sell alcohol, there would be a license to sell marijuana. Just like it's illegal to drive with too much alcohol in your system, it would be illegal to drive with too much marijuana in your system. Just like you'd have to be a certain age to drink and smoke cigarettes, you'd have to be a certain age to smoke marijuana.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #40
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Drinking also can cause people to go nuts, crazy, ape****, but that's not illegal. There are laws against drinking and driving and other alcohol-related offenses, so why wouldn't there be any against marijuana-related offenses? The idea here isn't to say, "Well, smoke all the weed you want, do whatever you want, we don't care." The idea is to say that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and should be seen as such by the law. Also, people can lace anything with anything. I could put heroin or meth into a pitcher of lemonade and no one would know it. Should we outlaw lemonade?

To me, the legalization of marijuana would not mean letting potheads run naked through the streets when they want to, or that what drug dealers do would automatically exist without penalty, or that dope would be free for anyone who wants it. Just like one needs a license to sell alcohol, there would be a license to sell marijuana. Just like it's illegal to drive with too much alcohol in your system, it would be illegal to drive with too much marijuana in your system. Just like you'd have to be a certain age to drink and smoke cigarettes, you'd have to be a certain age to smoke marijuana.

PCP/Formaldehyde laced/dipped marijuana cigs are EXTREMELY different then drinking alcohol. I have personally seen what it does to a person. I would take a drunk over a person hyped up on PSP any day of the week.

Last edited by Brieannas21 : 02-24-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #41
Raisingdad2004
Forum Regular

Does anybody know of a country where Marijuana is legal? There isn't one that I am aware of anywhere, not in the Americas, not in Europe, certainly not in Asia. That tells you something. Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #42
JT

Quote:
PCP/Formaldehyde laced/dipped marijuana cigs are EXTREMELY different then drinking alcohol. I have personally seen what it does to a person. I would take a drunk over a person hyped up on PSP any day of the week.
But you're not being fair here. A person could just as easily put PCP in a drink. Again, the idea isn't to just let the drug dealers sell their weed and let the users put whatever they want in that weed. It's illegal to put PCP in completely legal foods and drinks, correct? It would also be illegal to put it in marijuana.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #43
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisingdad2004
Does anybody know of a country where Marijuana is legal? There isn't one that I am aware of anywhere, not in the Americas, not in Europe, certainly not in Asia. That tells you something. Even the Dutch, who had it legalized in some shops, are rescinding that. I can't see what good would come out of this.
There aren't many where it is legal, but there are many, many places where the possession and consumption of certain amounts have been decriminalized. Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Colombia, and the Czech Republic are among the places where one can possess certain amounts with no penalty or weak penalty (usually a fine). There are actually places in the US where the situation is the same. Alaska actually has no penalty for possessing an ounce or less, and it's been like that for over 30 years. Other states have fines, like California, Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, and others.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #44
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
But you're not being fair here. A person could just as easily put PCP in a drink. Again, the idea isn't to just let the drug dealers sell their weed and let the users put whatever they want in that weed. It's illegal to put PCP in completely legal foods and drinks, correct? It would also be illegal to put it in marijuana.

Come on now, be real. You know and I know that PCP is usually smoked, and the fact that you would be able to smoke it out in the open even if it was dipped. Who's gonna know that it was dipped or laced, until people start to go crazy? For all the cops know you were just smoking a joint. I guess you would have to witness what a person looks like when they are high and going crazy when they have smoked a laced marijuana cig. I would not want my little girls to be around it, see it, or smell anyone who's smoking Marijuana. My views on it is that it's wrong and a stupid law. If you're going to legalize one drug just to make money, legalize them all.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #45
JT

Quote:
Come on now, be real. You know and I know that PCP is usually smoked, and the fact that you would be able to smoke it out in the open even if it was dipped. Who's gonna know that it was dipped or laced, until people start to go crazy? For all the cops know you were just smoking a joint. I guess you would have to witness what a person looks like when they are high and going crazy when they have smoked a laced marijuana cig. I would not want my little girls to be around it, see it, or smell anyone who's smoking Marijuana. My views on it is that it's wrong and a stupid law. If you're going to legalize one drug just to make money, legalize them all.
PCP in liquid form.

How would you know if a person was drinking plain apple juice or apple juice laced with large amounts of PCP? A worker at a daycare center could put PCP in the children's juice and who would know it until the kids started to go nuts?