Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Alcohol and tobcco isn't the subject of this thread.

And, if it is, so what? Why release yet another vice (marijuana) on society?

If you don't know any lives ruined due to pot smoking maybe you should visit the substance abuse department at a hospital?

Riiiight...because marijuana hasn't been available to society for the last several thousands of years or anything....

And you do realize that a vast majority of those in "substance abuse" programs strictly for marijuana are there because they chose it over a much harsher sentence after getting caught, don't you?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
If you don't know any lives ruined due to pot smoking maybe you should visit the substance abuse department at a hospital?

I have never come across any recovering pot addicts. I've seen heroine addicts and alcohol addicts in the majority when I volunteered at a hospital a few years ago.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I have never come across any recovering pot addicts.

Me neither. I know several people who use or used pot, and most have been able to quit as they please without a hitch. Worst case scenario? Heavy smokers tend to experience mild crankiness, and a little trouble sleeping for a few days.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
I agree. BAD idea. Marijuana use to should discouraged, not encouraged.

And I don't believe that Marijuana is "less harmful" than alcohol and tobacco.
Many people who have ruined their lives started by using marijuana.

Then why aren't you campaigning to make alcohol illegal? It's killed and ruined the lives ten fold of people over marijuana. It also murders people daily by drunk drivers and people who go off the deep end while drunk.

Marijuana has NEVER been a factor in murder from someone who is "high" on it. Marijuana has never ruined my life, but alcohol sure did. I lost my father at age 19 to it.

It's also been proven that more people binged on alcohol during prohibition and more illegal activity was involved with it (rum running, bootlegging, etc.) It's the exact same with marijuana.

And if it's regulated like alcohol is in Canada (outside of Quebec) it is much tougher for kids to get their hands on than it is now. Now, it's being sold in schoolyards. We have the "LCBO" Liquor Control Board Ontario where alcohol can only be sold in government run stores. Proper checks are in place so anyone under legal age cannot purchase. That's the way it should be with grass too.

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
Riiiight...because marijuana hasn't been available to society for the last several thousands of years or anything....

And you do realize that a vast majority of those in "substance abuse" programs strictly for marijuana are there because they chose it over a much harsher sentence after getting caught, don't you?

Exactly! There is no rehab for pot - it's NOT addictive. Some people may become dependant, but they're the type who would on anything - even aspirin. It's a joke that they send them to "rehab" rather than jail. It's just to pacify people like Fleet who still believe the movie "Reefer Madness"!! lol
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #21
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
Then why aren't you campaigning to make alcohol illegal?

They tried that before. It made Al Capone very rich.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:
Exactly! There is no rehab for pot - it's NOT addictive. Some people may become dependant, but they're the type who would on anything - even aspirin. It's a joke that they send them to "rehab" rather than jail. It's just to pacify people like Fleet who still believe the movie "Reefer Madness"!! lol

Right on. Those who have addictive personalities could become dependent on marijuana, just as the same type of person could become dependent on cheeseburgers, cake, video games, reality tv...just about anything.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
They tried that before. It made Al Capone very rich.

Among thousands of other criminals. That's why if the government REALLY wanted to get rid of criminals and actually make some money themselves (that could go to better healthcare), then they should legalize marijuana too. It's been the U.S. government that's encouraged criminal activity so much by keeping things illegal and unregulated. Boneheads.
It also appeals to kids more if they know it's illegal.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Among thousands of other criminals. That's why if the government REALLY wanted to get rid of criminals and actually make some money themselves (that could go to better healthcare), then they should legalize marijuana too. It's been the U.S. government that's encouraged criminal activity so much by keeping things illegal and unregulated. Boneheads.

Another thing to mention is that a lot of people got even sicker due to the conditions of the illegal booze. I mean come on, it wasn't in the best of quality.

Perhaps we will see "healthier weed" if the government were to officially grow it themselves. Instead of the crap that one gets off of the street. For those who know what to look for you know bad weed when you see it.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #25
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
Legalize it in all states

I agree. Wholeheartedly. It's about time America finally got out of the '50s mentality!
(Sorry, Howdy - no offense)

But seriously, marijuana should be legal in all 50 States - if it wasn't for medical marijuana (that had to be obtained and smoked illegally, unfortunately) my mother-in-law and brother-in-law would have both lived excruciatingly painful lives prior to their deaths (both had forms of cancer and were going through chemo and radiation therapy). Plus, marijuana is probably the most natural and safest stress relaxer on Earth (at least that's what users have told me).
Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #26
Lee
veteran member

I hope this does not turn into a political thread and people start yelling
and hurling insults at each other. We have had plenty of threads of this
type before and we do not need them.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

i don't like the idea personally, but i'm all for fairness. never understood why alcohol is illegal and pot isn't. at least there won't be any teenagers or 18-19 year old "adults" able to legally use it, and hopefully it will help take away the "coolness" factor. many still will of course, but contrary to popular belief there are actually human beings on this earth who obey the law, even if it's just because they're afraid of getting caught.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
JT

Quote:

Preach!

I basically agree with everything TripperFan and the others have said, but I want to add something. If marijuana IS the so-called "gateway" drug, I'm sure the fact that it's illegal has a lot to do with it. Alcohol will screw you up a LOT worse, and it doesn't have that ****ty "gateway" stigma attached to it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #29
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Preach!

I basically agree with everything TripperFan and the others have said, but I want to add something. If marijuana IS the so-called "gateway" drug, I'm sure the fact that it's illegal has a lot to do with it. Alcohol will screw you up a LOT worse, and it doesn't have that ****ty "gateway" stigma attached to it.

Have you actually looked into the history on what led up to marijuana being made illegal?
It was all due to propaganda, racism, and paranoid Mormons. Utah was the first state that outlawed it and many followed suit soon after.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #30
JT

Quote:
Have you actually looked into the history on what led up to marijuana being made illegal?
It was all due to propaganda, racism, and paranoid Mormons. Utah was the first state that outlawed it and many followed suit soon after.
I'm not surprised.

No, I haven't read too much about it, but I've read enough to know that it's really silly for it to be illegal. There are much more dangerous things out there that are legal. Guns, for example. Guns have played a part in killing people [insert outrageously high number] times more than ol' Mary J. has.