Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #136
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebelle
It's just funny to me the way people view weed. Like it's some terrible drug that makes you craZAyy and do dangerous and wild things. Seriously?
And no amount of scientific proof or evidence is going to make them change their minds! All of the scientists are potheads who love Mary J! And I don't mean Blige!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #137
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Hey, it's better on this side, Tripp! You're making pot muffins for us! I can call some of my drag queen friends from West Hollywood and we can all sing Donna Summer karaoke!

Now THAT sounds like a blast!!! Definitely count me in. We can also get the soundtrack to Rocky Horror - I do great Franken Furter makeup - your friends would love me!

My 88 yr old aunt from Dallas would also love to join us. She's got lots of gay friends that take her on trips to San Fran all the time. She'd get a big hoot out of it and could tell us stories about how they used to O.D. on joints in the old days. I think she even converted her old wringer washing machine into a great bong!!

Oh what DEVIATES we are!!

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #138
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith
I am all for it. Shouldn't have been illegal in the first place.

What, you don't think Harry Anslinger's reasons to make it illegal were good enough?

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

All quotes by Harry Anslinger, drug czar in the '30s and beyond. I wish I was kidding.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #139
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
What, you don't think Harry Anslinger's reasons to make it illegal were good enough?

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

All quotes by Harry Anslinger, drug czar in the '30s and beyond. I wish I was kidding.

Sad but true. He seeked outlawing marijuana as a career opportunity to get money for the new bureau. He used fear and racism to get it done and unfortunately it worked.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #140
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Speaking of that, do you know what the biggest problems in school were back then regarding children?
- Running in the halls
- Chewing gum
- Talking in class

In the 1990s and later, it is:
- Illegal drugs
- Teen pregnancy
- Guns in school

(I'm sure glad I didn't have to worry about some other kid packing a gun when I was in school in the '60s and '70s!).

Surprise, Fleet! You and I sound like we're about the same age, so I think you can deal with this:

I was born in 1960. I was in kindergarten in 1965-66, grade school from 1966-74, and in high school from 1974-78. Yeah, there were no guns, no teen pregnancies (not in grammar school, anyway) and nobody snorted or sold heroin, crack cocaine, crystal meth, or anything else that hard. I was first exposed to pot when I was in 8th grade because I knew some kids who were smoking it at the time. In high school, I knew many more kids (and at least 3 teachers) who also smoked pot. It DID NOT make them go nuts, insane, crazy, violent, or anything that the Government brainwashes you into believing! If anything it MELLOWED THEM OUT, which made the teachers' jobs a little easier!

And as far as teen pregancy is concerned, it was around when I was in high school, when my mother was in high school and probably for a heck of a lot longer than that.

[/quote]FLEET: Yeah, we have come a long way, but the problem is a lot of it was for the worse!!).[/quote]

Boy oh boy I'm sooo glad you didn't live in the '30s or '40s!! Even as recently as the early '70s there were people either shunned, shuttered in attics or confined for life to institutions because they were gay, had a disability, or had a mental disorder that we today KNOW can be either cured outright or be controlled. I heard my grandfather screaming bloody murder because the pain from his testicular cancer was so great...something medical marijuana would have taken care of and would had given him a better quality of life before he died. It would have also let him die with dignity.

[/quote]FLEET: And there are many people out there who know friends who ruined their lives by starting with marijuana.[/quote]

You still have not given any viable proof of this. NEXT!

[/quote]FLEET: We may be living in a faster world, but no way is it more stressful or pressure-packed than the '30s and '40s. When was the last time you engaged in an air-raid drill? Or saw a house with a bomb shelter? When was the last time your father skipped dinner because there wasn't enough food to go around for the whole family?[/quote]

The last time I engaed in an air raid drill was I think when I was about 11 or 12. I've seen houses with bomb shelters, too. And yes, sometimes my ENTIRE FAMILY had to skip dinner because there wasn't enough groceries. In that case, my sister, brother and I simply ate a bowl of cereal before bed. At least I came from a large household and everything was eaten - there were no leftovers. Ever.

[/quote] FLEET: He violated his contract. He had every right to be suspended. Even he said what he did was dumb. I agree; it was.[/quote]

That probably was his handlers making him say that so he can kiss up to the closed-minded folks.

Last edited by Doodyville10019 : 02-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #141
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Look! Another heartwarming victory in the war on drugs!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...entencing.html

Atlanta police look to restore trust after drug raid killing

Quote:
State senator asks department to release FBI report into fatal, botched raid

By BILL RANKIN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, February 23, 2009

The federal sentencing of three ex-Atlanta police officers for the illegal drug raid that left a 92-year-old woman dead closes only one chapter in the tragic case, the Atlanta Police Department said Wednesday.

“Restoring trust and confidence as well as healing the communities we serve are paramount in our efforts to rebuild a positive relationship with citizens of Atlanta,” the department said in a statement.

Atlanta police also will continue to review a report submitted by the FBI, which investigated the force after Kathryn Johnston’s shooting, “and take the appropriate action where necessary,” the department said.

The department statement came a day after a federal judge sent three fallen cops to prison for their roles in the raid on Johnston’s Neal Street home.

The judge said performance quotas influenced the officers’ behavior.

“It is my fervent hope the Atlanta Police Department will take to heart what has happened here,” U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes said. After conducting an emotional two-day hearing, Carnes sentenced former officers Gregg Junnier, Jason R. Smith and Arthur Bruce Tesler to between five and 10 years in prison.

At the hearing, Tesler’s lawyer provided examples of other Atlanta police officers who broke the rules or violated the law and said a disturbing culture of misconduct pervades the force.

Following the sentencings, state Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta), who represents Johnston’s neighborhood, called on Atlanta police to release the FBI report. Federal prosecutors have said it contains recommendations that could lead to some officers being disciplined, fired or indicted on state charges.

“The public ought to know what that report says,” Fort said.

Carnes imposed the most severe sentence — 10 years — on Smith, 36, who obtained the illegal, no-knock search warrant allowing officers to batter down Johnston’s door.

A terrified Johnston, thinking she was victimized by a home invasion, fired a warning shot through the door. Narcotics officers responded with a hail of gunfire, killing her.

Carnes sentenced Junnier, 42, to six years in prison. Junnier, the most experienced officer, was the first to cross the “blue line” — the unspoken code of silence among police — and divulge to the FBI what really happened at Neal Street and how the officers concocted a sophisticated coverup.

For Junnier’s cooperation, Carnes cut his time from the 10 years recommended by sentencing guidelines.

The judge gave the biggest break to Tesler, saying prosecutors’ recommendation of a 10- to 14-year term was “unduly harsh” because, overall, he played a “minor role.” She sentenced Tesler, 42, to five years in prison.

There is no parole in the federal system, but inmates can carve 15 percent off their time with good behavior. Junnier and Smith are to be sentenced March 5 in Fulton County on state charges, including voluntary manslaughter. Those sentences are to run concurrently with the federal time.

Tesler’s lawyer, Bill McKenney, told Carnes his client was being made “a sacrificial lamb and a scapegoat.” A former military man and a rookie on the squad, Tesler followed orders — including adhering to the script Smith provided for a cover story, the lawyer said.

After the shooting, Smith planted marijuana in Johnston’s home to make it look like a drug house.

In court, McKenney divulged details of an FBI report forwarded to Atlanta Police that shows how other officers broke rules.

McKenney said the FBI found that at least two other officers took “handoffs” from Junnier.

A “handoff” occurs when one officer collects information on a drug case and passes it on to another officer, who then falsely swears on a search warrant affidavit as if he or she had firsthand information about it.

Another officer, McKenney said, split a rock of crack cocaine seized in one case and used it for another case. One officer, he said, padded expense vouchers and used the cash to buy tinted windows for surveillance cars.

The FBI also found performance quotas of nine arrests and two search warrants a month expected of officers, McKenney said. Officers who failed to meet their quotas risked being transferred, he said.

This helped explain, Carnes said, why Smith, Junnier and Tesler — devoted family men and who gave selflessly to the communities — began cutting corners through lies.

“The pressures brought to bear” by the quotas had an impact on Smith, Junnier and Tesler, as well as other officers, Carnes said.

Following the sentencing, U.S. Attorney David Nahmias noted the Johnston tragedy prompted Atlanta Police to require new training and to revamp the narcotics unit. The prison terms also send a strong message to other officers who may think the “ends justify the means” by taking shortcuts or telling lies, he said.

Carnes also ordered all three former officers to reimburse Johnston’s estate the $8,180 it cost to bury her.

Hooray war on drugs :-\
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #142
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

^Crazy.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #143
littlebelle
Spell Caster

Send a message via AIM to littlebelle

Let's just say, I got five on it .
Old 02-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #144
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda
I can't do this anymore. This thread makes my brain ****ing BREAK.

Saying that 1971 was just like the 1960s is like me saying 1991 was just like the 1980s. These were entirely different decades. Sure, fashions and TV shows from the 80s carried over to the early 90s, but...

Oh wait. Why am I bothering? Look at this thread. No other conservatives are arguing. It's just good 'ole Fleet.
Oh, lots of conservatives agree with me, they just know it is pointless debating the issue most of the time.
Some have posted their thoughts about this subject before, even some non-conservatives. (Others besides conservatives oppose mind-altering drugs, you know.)
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...ad.php?t=73043
Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #145
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
And no amount of scientific proof or evidence is going to make them change their minds! All of the scientists are potheads who love Mary J! And I don't mean Blige!
I bet if you talk to police officers you will find out that marijuana is not as "harmless" as some claim.

But as I said, I have posted about this before. It would just be a repeat if I post the same things again.
I still say the bill would be a huge mistake.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #146
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodyville10019
Surprise, Fleet! You and I sound like we're about the same age, so I think you can deal with this:

I was born in 1960. I was in kindergarten in 1965-66, grade school from 1966-74, and in high school from 1974-78. Yeah, there were no guns, no teen pregnancies (not in grammar school, anyway) and nobody snorted or sold heroin, crack cocaine, crystal meth, or anything else that hard. I was first exposed to pot when I was in 8th grade because I knew some kids who were smoking it at the time. In high school, I knew many more kids (and at least 3 teachers) who also smoked pot. It DID NOT make them go nuts, insane, crazy, violent, or anything that the Government brainwashes you into believing! If anything it MELLOWED THEM OUT, which made the teachers' jobs a little easier!

I think that better parenting would be better to "mellow out" kids rather than using a stupid mind-altering drug!

Quote:
And as far as teen pregancy is concerned, it was around when I was in high school, when my mother was in high school and probably for a heck of a lot longer than that.

Very rare in the '40s and '50s compared to now. I'm sure you know that.

FLEET: Yeah, we have come a long way, but the problem is a lot of it was for the worse!!).

Quote:
Boy oh boy I'm sooo glad you didn't live in the '30s or '40s!! Even as recently as the early '70s there were people either shunned, shuttered in attics or confined for life to institutions because they were gay, had a disability, or had a mental disorder that we today KNOW can be either cured outright or be controlled. I heard my grandfather screaming bloody murder because the pain from his testicular cancer was so great...something medical marijuana would have taken care of and would had given him a better quality of life before he died. It would have also let him die with dignity.

There are a number of (legal prescription) drugs and herbs which can treat pain and other ailments.

Quote:
FLEET: And there are many people out there who know friends who ruined their lives by starting with marijuana.

Quote:
You still have not given any viable proof of this. NEXT!

Lol. You must know about that certain decade... the 1960s! Back then, marijuana was the easiest drug to obtain, so guess what drug most started with? Right! If you were at the Aug., 1969 Woodstock concert and asked the kids there what drug they started with you would be surprised.

Quote:
The last time I engaed in an air raid drill was I think when I was about 11 or 12. I've seen houses with bomb shelters, too.

We both know that there have been no air raid drills for over 20 years.

Quote:
And yes, sometimes my ENTIRE FAMILY had to skip dinner because there wasn't enough groceries. In that case, my sister, brother and I simply ate a bowl of cereal before bed. At least I came from a large household and everything was eaten - there were no leftovers. Ever.

I am referring to the 1930s depression, when unemployment reached a peak of 24.9% and there were bread lines. How many bread lines have you been in? How many TVs does/did your family have? How many cars? A washer and dryer? How many radios?

Quote:
FLEET: He violated his contract. He had every right to be suspended. Even he said what he did was dumb. I agree; it was.

That probably was his handlers making him say that so he can kiss up to the closed-minded folks[/quote]

He is a big boy! He is responsible for his actions. Don't try to blame his "handlers." He is not 10 years old!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #147
JT

Quote:
I bet if you talk to police officers you will find out that marijuana is not as "harmless" as some claim.

But as I said, I have posted about this before. It would just be a repeat if I post the same things again.
I still say the bill would be a huge mistake.
Are you trying to refute scientific evidence? If so, you are delusional.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #148
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:

Police officers are not doctors or scientists so they really have no authority when it comes to that.

Police, just like everyone else, have opinions on certain things. I am friendly with a few NYPD and those that I have spoken to all say that marijuana should be legal and they hate giving out penalities for it.

Police can either be pro or anti marijuana; I know of both.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #149
JT

Quote:
Very rare in the '40s and '50s compared to now. I'm sure you know that.

This.

Quote:
The 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s included the twentieth century's highest teen birth rates (respectively 79.5, 91.0, and 69.7 per thousand). By 1960, nearly one-third of American females had their first child before reaching age twenty.

Pregnancy rates (which are different from birth rates) have only been recorded since 1976 (and currently, the numbers through 2004 are known), and let's see what the government says about that:

1997:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/01news/trendpreg.htm

2004:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/infoshe..._teen_preg.htm

Teen birth rates of the late 90s and the 2000s are also much, much lower than the those of the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Though it rose in the 2006 (the first it rose since 1991!), the teen birth rate was still only 41.9 (compared to the figures above for the 1940s-1960s). Again, this is from the government:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/07.../teenbirth.htm

The lowest teen birth rate ever recorded in the US wasn't in the 1940s or the 1950s. It was in the evil late 1990s. At least that's what the government says:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00news/newbirth.htm

And before you say that the decline is only because of abortion...

http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/i...nAbortions.cfm

Oh, and just to tie this back into the topic of the thread: Notice, when abortions became legal in 1973, when that negative stigma was still very much alive, the teen abortion rate increased. And as time went on, as the negative stigma began to die down, teen abortions decreased to numbers lower than the 1970s.

Here's a chart.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #150
PunkyP0WER
Banned!!
WAKE UP & DREAM

i'm not ashamed to say that my husband smokes pot and he has for most of his adult life and even more so since his cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. my husband (he's a bit older than me) lived a wild life, he dabbled w/ many drugs in his early adult life (which i'm not condoning or approving of hardcore drugs) but i think it all comes down to having an addictive personality or other emotional issues that lead you into drug dependency. he wasn't and isn't an addict, but a partier who knew where to draw the line, he can take it or leave it and has and his use of it has not effected his life whatsoever. he was an iron worker who in his last year of work before retiring made $150k, he owns a 350k+ house and a 60k corvette and i'm not saying this to brag but to dispell the myth that being a "pothead" destroys your life. he stills gets up every day and goes to work at the dmv as i go to work every single day and make a living and we are harming NO ONE. The thing that gets me though is at his job he is subject to random drug tests if suspected of being under the influence and would probably get fired if he failed one but my husband aside from his cancer treatments has never missed a day of work, has worked over time as favors to his company and even been awarded such things like employee of the month etc. but they would let him go if he were to fail! unbelievable! I work at a homeless shelter and let me tell you not one person is there because they have a pot addiction. However, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect them.

Last edited by PunkyP0WER : 02-27-2009 at 02:38 PM.