Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan
 
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Location: Spartenburg, SC
Posts: 33
Send a message via AIM to BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Default Bill Would Legalize & Tax Marijuana

SACRAMENTO (CBS13/AP) ―

A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.

Ammiano says if the bill passes, it could generate more than $1.3 billion dollars in revenue.

"I think we have a new administration in Washington. We have congress people who want to address this issue. Here in California, we understand that $14 billion is something that can't be blown off," said Ammiano.

This is Ammiano's first piece of legislation since becoming an Assemblyman and he says he is absolutely serious about moving this bill through the legislature.

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana.

You can watch the video here:
http://cbs13.com/local/legalize.mari....2.941837.html

I sure hope this passes. It's about time we stop wasting so much prison space for people who got caught with a joint on them, and start chasing after criminals that are potentially dangerous to our country.

Marijuana has already been proved to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Let's see if we can get word out and stop all this nonsence.
__________________
marilize legaljuana

Chrissy
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
MickeyMac
Moderator
Forum Veteran
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 18,883
Default

Legalize it in all states
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
MonarC
Senior Member
The truth will set you free
 
MonarC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 05, 2002
Location: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Posts: 9,514
Default

In the words of Homer Simpson "That would be a stone groove."

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
littlebelle
Senior Member
Spell Caster
 
littlebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,654
Send a message via AIM to littlebelle
Default

Woo hoo! I myself prefer a good beer over some dro, but I always thought it was dumb that it was illegal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
Imagine having a bunch of people high. It's a drug. What kind of message is that sending people? Let's hope that the bill fails!

I have heard the argument you gave many times before and some others. Here is what I say to what I have heard:

Marijuana is a dangerous drug leading to others. - Marijuana is actually less harmful than nicotine and alcohol and there are no known facts that proves that marijuana is in of itself a gateway drug.

You want people to get stoned all the time? That's what will happen! - Well, liquor stores and bars are always open and people can go and get wasted anytime they want. Do you see majority of people getting plastered just because the product is there? The answer is no. What makes you think people will get high just because it's around?

Marijuana is a harmful drug. You can die from it! - Nobody has died EVER from overdosing on marijuana.

What about the kids? They will get it more freely. - Well i don't think so. Just like with cigarettes, stores can check ID when purchasing marijuana cigs. Some children do get a hold of cigarettes today, yes, but you can't help that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,090
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
So that guy wants to legalize it for recreational use just to bring in money? That's so stupid, imo. Legalizing it is a terrible idea.

It's one thing to consider it for medical reasons (though I'd never use it myself), it's another thing entirely to legalize it for anyone.

Imagine having a bunch of people high. It's a drug. What kind of message is that sending people? Let's hope that the bill fails!
I agree. BAD idea. Marijuana use to should discouraged, not encouraged.

And I don't believe that Marijuana is "less harmful" than alcohol and tobacco.
Many people who have ruined their lives started by using marijuana.
__________________
1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,090
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Marijuana is a dangerous drug leading to others. - Marijuana is actually less harmful than nicotine and alcohol and there are no known facts that proves that marijuana is in of itself a gateway drug.

In a study group done about 15 years ago with a room full of former drug addcits it took until the 40th person who said he did not end up as a drug addict drug habit by starting with marijuana. The first 39 said they started with marijuana and moved on to harder drugs.


Quote:
What about the kids? They will get it more freely. - Well i don't think so. Just like with cigarettes, stores can check ID when purchasing marijuana cigs. Some children do get a hold of cigarettes today, yes, but you can't help that

Sorry, but "I don't think so" is not good enough. As far as children go, marijuana use should be discouraged and that would be hard to do by making it legal!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
I agree. BAD idea. Marijuana use to should discouraged, not encouraged.

And I don't believe that Marijuana is "less harmful" than alcohol and tobacco.
Many people who have ruined their lives started by using marijuana.

Well then explain why alcohol and tobacco that are known to have caused deaths and illnesses across the board are still legal in this country. They are known to have caused serious addictions.

Marijuana is a drug, yes. Is it harmful, yes. Caffeine also is a highly addictive yet legal drug.

I don't know of any reason as to why marijuana should be illegal.

Also, i don't know about you but me personally don't know of any lives ruined due to pot smoking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
In a study group done about 15 years ago with a room full of former drug addcits it took until the 40th person who said he did not end up as a drug addict drug habit by starting with marijuana. The first 39 said they started with marijuana and moved on to harder drugs.

Well if the people in this study group made the choice to move on to other things then that is what they have chosen to do.

Is there anything that proved that marijuana was the thing that MADE them move on to other things?

In my travels, I know plenty of pot smokers and they have never touched any of the hard stuff.

Last edited by JamesG : 02-25-2009 at 07:36 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,090
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Well then explain why alcohol and tobacco that are known to have caused deaths and illnesses across the board are still legal in this country. They are known to have caused serious addictions.

Marijuana is a drug, yes. Is it harmful, yes. Caffeine also is a highly addictive yet legal drug.

I don't know of any reason as to why marijuana should be illegal.

Also, i don't know about you but me personally don't know of any lives ruined due to pot smoking.
Alcohol and tobcco isn't the subject of this thread.

And, if it is, so what? Why release yet another vice (marijuana) on society?

If you don't know any lives ruined due to pot smoking maybe you should visit the substance abuse department at a hospital?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
Sorry, but "I don't think so" is not good enough. As far as children go, marijuana use should be discouraged and that would be hard to do by making it legal!

Well I said "I don't think so" because that is the truth. There won't be any way anybody can predict what will happen until marijuana becomes legal and see how many children get a hold of it.

Today, cigarettes get into many children's hands and I haven't seen any serious motion to have them outlawed. Have you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
So that guy wants to legalize it for recreational use just to bring in money? That's so stupid, imo. Legalizing it is a terrible idea.

It's one thing to consider it for medical reasons (though I'd never use it myself), it's another thing entirely to legalize it for anyone.

Imagine having a bunch of people high. It's a drug. What kind of message is that sending people? Let's hope that the bill fails!

Imagine having a bunch of people high....? I hate to break it to you, but the illegality of it does very little if anything from stopping people from smoking it. You'd really be amazed at the number of people who do it, I know I was.

Having marijuana illegal sends a worse message than having it legal. I remember being taught how "addicting," it was, how it can cause cancer, and how people only do it to look cool. I couldn't believe it when I found out how untrue all this BS was. The "message" has been received: Don't trust everything the government, and government funded programs tell you.

If you want to send a good message, legalize it, cut the BS and properly educate children about it, and set an age limit. Because last I checked, drug dealers don't ask for your ID. You know who else wants marijuana to stay illegal? Drug dealers. They make a ridiculous living due to prohibition induced prices. Legalizing it would take the money out of these people who we call criminal's hands, and it would get pumped in our struggling economy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
 
Fleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2002
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, California
Posts: 15,090
Send a message via AIM to Fleet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Well I said "I don't think so" because that is the truth. There won't be any way anybody can predict what will happen until marijuana becomes legal and see how many children get a hold of it.

Today, cigarettes get into many children's hands and I haven't seen any serious motion to have them outlawed. Have you?
I'll repeat: Why allow yet another vice into society? There are enough problems in society (with children and adults) with alcohol abuse; why add another?

Are you for real? You want pot legalized and "see how many children get a hold of it?" I have a much better idea... condemn and discourage its use and maybe more children will get the message that you don't need junk like pot live your life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die
 
Dutabi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2003
Location: MN/TX
Posts: 10,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
In a study group done about 15 years ago with a room full of former drug addcits it took until the 40th person who said he did not end up as a drug addict drug habit by starting with marijuana. The first 39 said they started with marijuana and moved on to harder drugs.

Cut the "gateway" BS. You know what drug these addicts probably used before marijuana? Caffeine. Any legitimate study done on the gateway theory completely, thoroughly debunks it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
JamesG
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 36,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
I'll repeat: Why allow yet another vice into society? There are enough problems in society (with children and adults) with alcohol abuse; why add another?

Are you for real? You want pot legalized and "see how many children get a hold of it?" I have a much better idea... condemn and discourage its use and maybe more children will get the message that you don't need junk like pot live your life.

I don't want marijuana legalized just to see how many kids can get it! I'm trying to stress that there won't be any official way of knowing until it becomes legal.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.