Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Frequent Poster
Lisa Whelchel #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to BlairsQueenOfMyJeans
Default Bill Would Legalize & Tax Marijuana

SACRAMENTO (CBS13/AP) ―

A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.

Ammiano says if the bill passes, it could generate more than $1.3 billion dollars in revenue.

"I think we have a new administration in Washington. We have congress people who want to address this issue. Here in California, we understand that $14 billion is something that can't be blown off," said Ammiano.

This is Ammiano's first piece of legislation since becoming an Assemblyman and he says he is absolutely serious about moving this bill through the legislature.

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana.

You can watch the video here:
http://cbs13.com/local/legalize.mari....2.941837.html

I sure hope this passes. It's about time we stop wasting so much prison space for people who got caught with a joint on them, and start chasing after criminals that are potentially dangerous to our country.

Marijuana has already been proved to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Let's see if we can get word out and stop all this nonsence.

Chrissy
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Legalize it in all states
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
MonarC
The truth will set you free

In the words of Homer Simpson "That would be a stone groove."

Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
littlebelle
Spell Caster

Send a message via AIM to littlebelle

Woo hoo! I myself prefer a good beer over some dro, but I always thought it was dumb that it was illegal.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
Imagine having a bunch of people high. It's a drug. What kind of message is that sending people? Let's hope that the bill fails!

I have heard the argument you gave many times before and some others. Here is what I say to what I have heard:

Marijuana is a dangerous drug leading to others. - Marijuana is actually less harmful than nicotine and alcohol and there are no known facts that proves that marijuana is in of itself a gateway drug.

You want people to get stoned all the time? That's what will happen! - Well, liquor stores and bars are always open and people can go and get wasted anytime they want. Do you see majority of people getting plastered just because the product is there? The answer is no. What makes you think people will get high just because it's around?

Marijuana is a harmful drug. You can die from it! - Nobody has died EVER from overdosing on marijuana.

What about the kids? They will get it more freely. - Well i don't think so. Just like with cigarettes, stores can check ID when purchasing marijuana cigs. Some children do get a hold of cigarettes today, yes, but you can't help that.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
So that guy wants to legalize it for recreational use just to bring in money? That's so stupid, imo. Legalizing it is a terrible idea.

It's one thing to consider it for medical reasons (though I'd never use it myself), it's another thing entirely to legalize it for anyone.

Imagine having a bunch of people high. It's a drug. What kind of message is that sending people? Let's hope that the bill fails!
I agree. BAD idea. Marijuana use to should discouraged, not encouraged.

And I don't believe that Marijuana is "less harmful" than alcohol and tobacco.
Many people who have ruined their lives started by using marijuana.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Marijuana is a dangerous drug leading to others. - Marijuana is actually less harmful than nicotine and alcohol and there are no known facts that proves that marijuana is in of itself a gateway drug.

In a study group done about 15 years ago with a room full of former drug addcits it took until the 40th person who said he did not end up as a drug addict drug habit by starting with marijuana. The first 39 said they started with marijuana and moved on to harder drugs.

Quote:
What about the kids? They will get it more freely. - Well i don't think so. Just like with cigarettes, stores can check ID when purchasing marijuana cigs. Some children do get a hold of cigarettes today, yes, but you can't help that

Sorry, but "I don't think so" is not good enough. As far as children go, marijuana use should be discouraged and that would be hard to do by making it legal!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
I agree. BAD idea. Marijuana use to should discouraged, not encouraged.

And I don't believe that Marijuana is "less harmful" than alcohol and tobacco.
Many people who have ruined their lives started by using marijuana.

Well then explain why alcohol and tobacco that are known to have caused deaths and illnesses across the board are still legal in this country. They are known to have caused serious addictions.

Marijuana is a drug, yes. Is it harmful, yes. Caffeine also is a highly addictive yet legal drug.

I don't know of any reason as to why marijuana should be illegal.

Also, i don't know about you but me personally don't know of any lives ruined due to pot smoking.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
In a study group done about 15 years ago with a room full of former drug addcits it took until the 40th person who said he did not end up as a drug addict drug habit by starting with marijuana. The first 39 said they started with marijuana and moved on to harder drugs.

Well if the people in this study group made the choice to move on to other things then that is what they have chosen to do.

Is there anything that proved that marijuana was the thing that MADE them move on to other things?

In my travels, I know plenty of pot smokers and they have never touched any of the hard stuff.

Last edited by JamesG : 02-25-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Well then explain why alcohol and tobacco that are known to have caused deaths and illnesses across the board are still legal in this country. They are known to have caused serious addictions.

Marijuana is a drug, yes. Is it harmful, yes. Caffeine also is a highly addictive yet legal drug.

I don't know of any reason as to why marijuana should be illegal.

Also, i don't know about you but me personally don't know of any lives ruined due to pot smoking.
Alcohol and tobcco isn't the subject of this thread.

And, if it is, so what? Why release yet another vice (marijuana) on society?

If you don't know any lives ruined due to pot smoking maybe you should visit the substance abuse department at a hospital?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Sorry, but "I don't think so" is not good enough. As far as children go, marijuana use should be discouraged and that would be hard to do by making it legal!

Well I said "I don't think so" because that is the truth. There won't be any way anybody can predict what will happen until marijuana becomes legal and see how many children get a hold of it.

Today, cigarettes get into many children's hands and I haven't seen any serious motion to have them outlawed. Have you?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:
So that guy wants to legalize it for recreational use just to bring in money? That's so stupid, imo. Legalizing it is a terrible idea.

It's one thing to consider it for medical reasons (though I'd never use it myself), it's another thing entirely to legalize it for anyone.

Imagine having a bunch of people high....? I hate to break it to you, but the illegality of it does very little if anything from stopping people from smoking it. You'd really be amazed at the number of people who do it, I know I was.

Having marijuana illegal sends a worse message than having it legal. I remember being taught how "addicting," it was, how it can cause cancer, and how people only do it to look cool. I couldn't believe it when I found out how untrue all this BS was. The "message" has been received: Don't trust everything the government, and government funded programs tell you.

If you want to send a good message, legalize it, cut the BS and properly educate children about it, and set an age limit. Because last I checked, drug dealers don't ask for your ID. You know who else wants marijuana to stay illegal? Drug dealers. They make a ridiculous living due to prohibition induced prices. Legalizing it would take the money out of these people who we call criminal's hands, and it would get pumped in our struggling economy.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Well I said "I don't think so" because that is the truth. There won't be any way anybody can predict what will happen until marijuana becomes legal and see how many children get a hold of it.

Today, cigarettes get into many children's hands and I haven't seen any serious motion to have them outlawed. Have you?
I'll repeat: Why allow yet another vice into society? There are enough problems in society (with children and adults) with alcohol abuse; why add another?

Are you for real? You want pot legalized and "see how many children get a hold of it?" I have a much better idea... condemn and discourage its use and maybe more children will get the message that you don't need junk like pot live your life.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Dutabi84
Forum Veteran
kittens must die

Quote:

Cut the "gateway" BS. You know what drug these addicts probably used before marijuana? Caffeine. Any legitimate study done on the gateway theory completely, thoroughly debunks it.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
I'll repeat: Why allow yet another vice into society? There are enough problems in society (with children and adults) with alcohol abuse; why add another?

Are you for real? You want pot legalized and "see how many children get a hold of it?" I have a much better idea... condemn and discourage its use and maybe more children will get the message that you don't need junk like pot live your life.

I don't want marijuana legalized just to see how many kids can get it! I'm trying to stress that there won't be any official way of knowing until it becomes legal.