Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Partridge Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Partridge Family Photo Gallery

The Partridge Family - The Complete First Season

Buy The Partridge Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Partridge Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Partridge Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Partridge Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Partridge Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Partridge Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Partridge Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Partridge Family - The Complete Series

Buy The Partridge Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Partridge Family
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default The Partridge Family - The Complete Fourth and Final Season DVD Review

It’s time to take one last bus ride with the “c’mon get happy” gang in The Fourth and Final Season of The Partridge Family! The three disc set contains the final 22 episodes of the 1970s series about the family that goes traveling together to spread the joy of their music. Join Shirley, Keith, Danny, Laurie, Chris, Tracy, and of course manager Reuben Kincaid as he takes this family along in their musical journey!

For those that have never seen the series, think of The Brady Bunch, then add some music to that. They are the “typical” TV family from the early days of TV that faces all of the “serious” problems that “typical” families faced at the time, but their angle is that they make their living by being a family band that travels on a very unique school bus. So c’mon get happy with these final 22 episodes of The Partridge Family!

Read our review by Skees here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thepart...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Two For The Show might be edited as it is the only episode in the set that is under 25 minutes. Looks like a couple other episodes may be slightly edited also. I will have to get the DVD and check it out, I didn't plan on buying the 4th season but I have the other three so I might as well get this one to finish the series.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
OKCRay
Forum Regular

One other thing I noticed that the Season 4 set has that the others doesn't is the SCREEN GEMS logo at the end of each episode. Nice to see that again!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCRay
One other thing I noticed that the Season 4 set has that the others doesn't is the SCREEN GEMS logo at the end of each episode. Nice to see that again!
Cool!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Same for the season 7 set of Bewitched. Was it legal issues that kept them from doing it before??
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Quote:

Yep, season 7 of Bewitched has the Screen Gems logo in the episodes also. Perhaps by popular demand Sony is now including those old logos in their DVD sets. Will have to see what their future releases look like.

With the Partridge Family season 4, it's really painful watching Ricky Segall singing those silly songs. OMG I wonder what the decision makers were thinking when they put Ricky on this show. It wouldn't have been too bad if they would not have allowed him to sing and just be the new neighbor kid next door. Those scenes with him singing are totally atrocious, they are almost unwatchable. Thank goodness he was there for just the first half of the season, I assume the producers realized their mistake and cut Ricky loose during mid season.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Billy K.
Forum Regular

This past weekend I watched all 3 DVDs of the 4th Season.

Forgotten how good some of the episodes were.... although every time I came across little Ricky about to sing a song, I FF it/switched to another episode (generally most of Ricky's singing numbers are in the Tag scene(s) of episodes).

By the time you get to the 3rd disc he doesn't appear, which is nice.

BTW, I haven't seen some of these episodes in about 11-12 years!

It's nice to see they are pretty much uncut although I do have my suspicions. (ex. "Two For The Show) as well as at the beginning of the last episode "SOS...." --- it seems that it fades a little late into the first scene in the kitchen (the scene after the main theme song)..... usually when it opens in the scene there's a little music cue.

It is nice though to see the SG logo/theme near at the end of the episodes.

Also noticed by this season it seems they're using earlier plots with a twist.

For example, the plot of "Heartbreak Keith" is just about the same plot as "The Undergraduate" except that Keith plays the kid who has a crush on an "older student" -- or another example of Keith going for an older woman is featured in the Kings Island episode.

Another example is all the "Shirley goes out on a date by someone "important" - with the plot being "Is Shirley in Love? or "is Shirley going to get married?" -- 2 episodes in this season alone "The Diplomat" and "SOS....", and of course there's a few from the previous seasons shows.

Obviously the fan favorite is featured in this set: "Keith and Lauriebell" - just as funny now than I remember it.

Actually since I haven't seen this in a while I got many laughs from lines I don't remember.... Like when Shirley meets Mrs. Stevens for the first time as well as Rueben hitting on her. LOL.

Weakest episode for my money this season is "Two For The Show" -- I can't stand this episode actually.

Favorite episodes -
"Keith & Lauriebell"
"Double Trouble"
"Hate Thy Neighbor"
"Danny Converts"
"Danny Drops Out"
"A Day of Honesty"
"None But The Onely"

BTW, does anyone know what episode was the last "Filmed" episode?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
Lee G
Banned!!
50's 60's & 70's TV

Two For The Show is likely an edited episode. Judging by the running times, four other episodes may be edited also: Al In The Family, Queen For A Minute, Morning Becomes Electric, and S.O.S.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Billy K.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee G
Two For The Show is likely an edited episode. Judging by the running times, four other episodes may be edited also: Al In The Family, Queen For A Minute, Morning Becomes Electric, and S.O.S.

Yes, I noticed it on SOS...-- it seems to fade in to the opening scene in the kitchen --- while there may have been dialogue before the fade in. It just feels like there was missing dialogue there. Usually when they open a show there's a little music cue or something... but here it's sort of silent to the natual sounds of the kitchen and perhaps it looked like Laurie/Shirley might have had some dialogue before that.

Haven't caught any odd edit moments yet in the other episodes mentioned.

I'll have to give it a good watching this weekend.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
OKCRay
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy K.
Yes, I noticed it on SOS...-- it seems to fade in to the opening scene in the kitchen --- while there may have been dialogue before the fade in. It just feels like there was missing dialogue there. Usually when they open a show there's a little music cue or something... but here it's sort of silent to the natual sounds of the kitchen and perhaps it looked like Laurie/Shirley might have had some dialogue before that.

Haven't caught any odd edit moments yet in the other episodes mentioned.

I'll have to give it a good watching this weekend.

I still have the VHS issue that "SOS" appeared on (under the alternate title "Anchors Aweigh") so I'll have to dig it out and watch it (of course my VCR is on the blink so it may be a while before I have the chance). I also know that the VHS tape that has "A Knight in Shining Armour" has the closing tag scene that the Season 1 DVD omitted.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Billy K.
Forum Regular

Quote:
I also know that the VHS tape that has "A Knight in Shining Armour" has the closing tag scene that the Season 1 DVD omitted.

Yes, I remember the tag sequence for that episode very well. The typical "family/Reuben"/guest(s) out at the bus saying goodbye tag that was used so much during Season 1.

Then one of the kids asks Mr. Kincaid if he thinks Bobby (?) and Lionel will make it in the business...... forgot who asked it and Mr. Kincaid's answer though.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Billy K.
Forum Regular

After watching most of the DVD set -- apart from the last 2 episodes...

I feel that it's a pretty good season...minus the Ricky scenes. That's the only thing that's annoying about the season. --> but basically most of his "singing" scenes are in the Tag of each episode.... thank god for FF on the remote....although I think they should've used his songs as a separate chapter IMO. Epsecially if there is more dialog that needs to be scene after / before the song (ex. "Heartbreak Keith").
Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

I've been having the hardest time getting through this season. I can't stand Ricky's singing. I don't mind him talking, but the singing!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:09 AM   #15
OKCRay
Forum Regular

One thing about Season 4 that nobody's commented on yet... did you all get a load of that PF kitchen makeover (especially that funky wallpaper)???!!!