Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Default "Lillian's Law" Passed In Texas; When Dogs Attack, The Owners Get Prison Time

What do you think of this? Should dog owners serve time for their dog's actions?

When dogs attack, owners can go to prison
05:49 PM CST on Monday, January 19, 2009

By JIM DOUGLAS / WFAA-TV

BRECKENRIDGE — Every year, 800,000 Americans are bitten by dogs; half of the victims are children.

Now, a new law in Texas is putting dog owners like Crystal Watson in prison.

"I'm scared," Watson said. "I've got three kids who are going to be without a mom to be there for them."

Watson was sentenced to seven years in prison; that's part of the reason she can't stop crying.

The main reason, she says, is she can't stop thinking about a little boy who used to play at her house with her kids.

Tanner Monk, 7, was mauled to death by four dogs owned by Crystal Watson and her fiance, Jack Smith.

The couple, now free on an appeals bond, are the first sent to prison under "Lillian's law," named for Lillian Stiles, who also was killed by a pack of dogs.

The legislation is an effort to reduce the incidence of maulings by locking up the owners.

"They were never agressive; never seen them agressive," Watson said. "Never bit no one."

Tanner Monk died in a dog attack last May. That doesn't matter.

Watson and Smith's four four pit bulls savagely attacked Tanner Monk last May near his home outside Breckenridge.

By the time medics reached the little boy, there was nothing they could do for him. He was already dead.

The scene was so gruesome that even seasoned emergency responders broke down and cried.

"Oh, it was terrible," said Stephens County Deputy Caleb Hodges. "Something you can't even imagine unless you've seen the pictures."

Hodges said responding lawmen had to shoot two of the dogs to protect themselves; the other two were captured and euthanized.

Crystal Watson said she didn't think twice about how her dogs were kept. "We lived out in the country. Everyone's dog ran loose — not just ours," she said.

But under Lillian's law, if dogs get off their property and make an "unprovoked" attack, owners now face up to 20 years in prison.

Steve Bristow prosecuted the Tanner Monk case, and summed it up in four short sentences: "They had dogs. They didn't secure them. They caused a death. They went to prison."

But defense attorney John Young says Lillian's law is a bad law. "In this case, we are sending Jack and Crystal to prison for seven years because they failed to maintain a fence."

Young said the law does not define the word "provoke." Could the little boy have unknowingly provoked the attack by simply peeking at one dog's puppies?

No one knows, because no one saw how it started.

"So what the law does, essentially, is require jurors to get into the mind of a dog," Young said.

But Steve Bristow defended the legislation. "I think that's a good law," he said. "You need to be held responsible."

The prosecutor concedes that Lillian's law does have problems, including the fact that not enough dog owners are aware of the stiff penalties that could could encourage them to be more responsible about securing their pets.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...o.d99567f.html
Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
What do you think of this? Should dog owners serve time for their dog's actions?

If the dog causes serious injury or death then yes the owner should be punished. A pitbull, rottweiller or other mean-tempered dog has no business running loose regardless of where the owner lives. This is one reason why I hate most dogs and I was mauled when I was 2 years old but I have no memory of it.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Big C
I Heart Angie Watson

I have mixed feeling about dogs.

I don't like it when other people treat dogs in a bad way (see Vick, Michael), but I am absolutely TERRIFIED of all dogs and wish some of the dogs that are truly vicious or evil would die so they can't kill others.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Big C
I Heart Angie Watson

I know people value pets a lot, but if I had to save my parents or a dog from a fire, I'd save my parents. I feel that dogs can cause more harm than good.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

Hard decision on one hand you have a 7yr old boy who doesn't know what prevoke is, a curious mind wanting to see a puppy. The other hand, his parents should not have let him go over there in the first place knowing that couple had pitbulls as pets.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
If the dog causes serious injury or death then yes the owner should be punished. A pitbull, rottweiller or other mean-tempered dog has no business running loose regardless of where the owner lives. This is one reason why I hate most dogs and I was mauled when I was 2 years old but I have no memory of it.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
MonarC
The truth will set you free

Yes I think it is a good law. So many people have been attacked by dogs and the owners should be held responsible.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

in every single case like this i hear about, the owner of the pit bull always says it was unexpected because the dog had never been vicious before. when are people going to get a clue?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Lee
veteran member

Unhappy

Pitbulls in themselves are not vicious dogs. It primarily has to do with the
way they were trained. That is why the world of dog fighting is such an
evil world. The people who train these dogs train them for one purpose only-
to kill. Why aren't they doing more prison time? I am not going to dispute
whether or not this couple broke the law because I know that people on
here are going to have their own opinions about it. What saddens me is that
three young children are going to be separated from their parents and that
is truly sad and truly tragic.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
littlebelle
Spell Caster

Send a message via AIM to littlebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU
I feel that dogs can cause more harm than good.

Not always true. It completely depends on the people that care for them from the time they're puppies- it's nurture over nature with dogs. I know plenty of pit bulls that are sweethearts because their owners were never aggressive towards them or taught them how to fight.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

Yet one more act of accountability that makes no sense. I remember being attacked by a dog when I was about 12, but I deserved it - I was running away from it, which is one thing you should NEVER do, no matter how docile it usually is. Dogs have instincts, just like any other living creature - and they will follow those before following any trainer's commands.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Pitbulls in themselves are not vicious dogs. It primarily has to do with the
way they were trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebelle
It completely depends on the people that care for them from the time they're puppies- it's nurture over nature with dogs.

Sorry but this isn't the case with pitbulls, This breed of dog will attack especially when provoked regardless of whether or not the owner has trained it to fight. The owners of the pitbulls that killed that child claimed they were never aggressive but all it took was one innocent action from that child and they descended on him like a pack of wolves. Also, most dog attacks that are reported on the news whether fatal or not are almost always caused by pitbulls or rottweillers. Bottom line: pitbulls don't have to be trained to fight, it's in their nature and will do so and more often than not without provocation.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

I'm an animal lover and I love dogs but their are supposed to be leash laws and people just don't always follow them. When I was a kid in N.C. dogs were always running loose. Many of them chased after me. If a dog who is not on a leash attacks somebody and hurts or kills them, then the owners should be held responsible. I have a different opinion if the attack is in the dog's own yard.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
I'm an animal lover and I love dogs but their are supposed to be leash laws and people just don't always follow them. If a dog who is not on a leash attacks somebody and hurts or kills them, then the owners should be held responsible. I have a different opinion if the attack is in the dog's own yard.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
bandito
Going Topless

I have a German Shepherd that is the most loving dog towards my wife and I. He doesn't leave my sight around strangers or kids, he's never shown any aggression, but I'm not taking any chances. I think Dog owners should be held responsible.