Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

My Three Sons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / My Three Sons Photo Gallery

My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume One on DVD
My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two

Buy My Three Sons - The Second Season - Volume Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > My Three Sons
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default My Three Sons - The First Season - Volume Two DVD Review

The Douglas family is back for Volume 2 of The First Season of My Three Sons! The three disc set contains the final 18 episodes of the first season of the 60s sitcom. Steve Douglas is a widower that is raising his three sons (Mike, Rob, and Chip) with the help of Grandpa Bub (William Frawley). The series began in 1960 on ABC and ended up lasting for over a decade, eventually having several cast changes and moving over to rival network CBS. These episodes are where it all started.

Read our review by Skees here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/mythree...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Thumbs up

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
janet42
Three's Company Fan!

Can't wait to get my copy.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

well, most likely you won't feel that way after reading the review of it. Another half-assed realease from CBS/Paramount!!!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
comedyfreak
Forum Veteran
Cheers!

Why can't they just release whole season instead of breaking it up? Father Knows Best and Donna Reed were not broken up.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I think we can all agree about them breaking up the season like that. Hopefully they wont do that to the rest of the series.

Either way I miss this show. I saw it first on WGN and then on Nick at Nite, the good ole days for me.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Question

Yeah, what's the deal with some of these shows splitting up seasons? They didn't do that to Bewitched, Green Acres, etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
dahur1
Frequent Poster

$$
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahur1
$$
True.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

The other factor with these older series is that they made a lot more episodes per season back then. This means it takes more disks and higher production costs to produce a full season of an older series like this. So naturally companies use this as an excuse to divide seasons into two volumes in order to generate higher revenues to cover the higher cost. This doesn't mean I agree with this practice only my attempt at explaining it.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

The Capitol Hi-Q, better known as John Seely Associiates [of Looney Tunes fall 10958 "infamy" and many others shows at the time, like Augie Doggie, You Tube has a lot.] Many composers contributed to it-Phil Green-as in the Snooper and Blabber cue that opens many of the older ones, Jack Cookerly, Jack Shaindlin, William Loose, Emil Cadkin-who is apparently alive and suing himself or something, or whatever, to obtain rights, Harry Bluestone, etc.

I've collected a lot of this, thru e-mail and some antique stores seem to have this. Same with Gumby and H-B, etc. with some recent major happy exceptions [2005's "Huckleberry Hound" DVD from Warner Bros.DVD and 2007's "Gumby Essentials" from Classic Media, though that has the blah later 80s episodes][, and the 1980s reshowings of latter named franchise.

There are some online official sites like Play Production Music & The APM music site, which has Carlin {Cadkin, Loose, etc.] cues and Cinemusic [Jack Shaindlin],etc. If you're a fan of My Three Sons, you may recongize a lot, and Rhino Pic-a-nic basket {Hanna-Barbera] in 1990s had the "Phil Green" cues credited to John Seely of Capitol during a 1958 musicians strike at Warners, like the Sons open [first part of Snooper and Blab open..] Augie Doggie used a tearjerker cue I saw under William Frawley in one episode where he is watching TV.

Of course Frank DeVol [Brady Bunch, Fernwood 2Night] later did the music.So many seasons, so many episodes, so much time, one season, two volumes..
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
well, most likely you won't feel that way after reading the review of it. Another half-assed realease from CBS/Paramount!!!
Well, as I said, the stock music of John Seely, though not billed [if you've ever seen "Weasel While You Work" [9-27], "A Bird in a Bonnet" [10-11], "Hook Line & Stinker" [10-11], "Pre-Hysterical Hare" [11-1], "Gopher Broke" [11-15], and "Hip Hip Hurry" [12-6], all 1958 Warner Bros. cartoons during a 1957-58 music strike in Los Angeles and Hollywood, or "Davey and Goliath" from Art Clokey, the creator of Gumby and Pokey, you'll know the name John Seely], is tied up. See my other post.

[That's a longtime interest of mine...the QUick Draw, Augie, Snoop and Blab shorts of Hanna-Barbera have my favorites, including the open that is used on many "Bub" Sons shows. Many educational flicks used it and it was in fdact tailored for industrial films, accoridng to composer Jack C.Cookerly ["TV's Biggest Hits", Jon Burlingame, Shcirmer, po.12.]

BTW There's nothing wrong if you've got a fascination for that soundtrack music, myself and many others exposed to it [used as mentioned EVERYWHERE back in the 1950s and 1960s!] do as well!