Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
zypherix
Forum Regular

Default A first look at the eleventh season DVD

Recieved my DVD today, discart is similiar to S9 and S10, with silver discs.

Here is a list of the runtimes, I dont have anything to compare with so I cant tell if they are edited or not.. but here goes:

Disc one:
1101: 23:16
1102: 23:23
1103: 23:22
1104: 23:12
1105: 23:23
1106: 23:12
1107: 23:21

Disc two:
1108: 23:03
1109: 23:05
1110: 22:49
1111: 23:27
1112: 23:23
1113: 23:17
1114: 23:19

Disc three:
1115: 23:24
1116: 23:21
1117: 23:17
1118: 23:23
1119: 23:16
1120: 23:02
1121: 23:08

Disc four:
1122: 23:23
1123/1124: 43:13
1125: 23:23
1126/1127/1128: 01:10:00 <- certain scenes and parts from the original airing are left out.. but some are still in there.

As for extras.. they actually put some episode promos on the set
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
drcrane
Frequent Poster

I know for a fact that the one hour episode, the third from last ran 44:00 originally since I just saw it a few weeks ago from my original copy. They must've cut about 47 seconds. I also have about 12-13 originals with the final episode. Sometime, I will list the episodes and compare the episode run times and which scenes are missing.

Last edited by drcrane : 01-17-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
FOLN@NFan
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to FOLN@NFan Send a message via AIM to FOLN@NFan Send a message via Yahoo to FOLN@NFan

Is "One for the Road" one long, continuous episode? is the ending theme the extended recording (not the one used in syndication/etc.), it was used so they could fit all of the guest stars?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
drcrane
Frequent Poster

Default final episode!

I just watched the original airing of "One For the Road". It ran 73:33 mins If it ran less than 70 mins as a previous poster had said, then several mins must've been cut from the show. According to a reviewer on Amazon, one segment in the very beginning with the mentioning of The Ninja Turtles has been edited. And one segment where Sam had hugged Rebecca had also been cut. I will eventually compare the dvd copy to my original when I get a copy. I will also compare episode run times from the 10-12 episodes from the 11th season later on this week when I go through them. Then I will post the listings when I get a chance.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
drcrane
Frequent Poster

Default episode run times!

Here are some original episode broadcast times from season 11:
1)Is there a doctor in the Howe?(1) 23:20
2)The bar manager, the shrink, his wife and her lover(2) 23:18
3)Woody gets an election 23:08
4)It's lonely on the top 23:23
5)Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses 44:00
6)Loathe and Marriage 23:23
7)The guy can't help it 23:23
8)Bar Wars 7:The Naked Prey 23:04
9)Love me, Love my car 23:22
10)Look before you sleep 23:00
11)One for the Road 73:33

These are some of the episodes from there original broadcast which can be used to compare episodes for edits.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
zypherix
Forum Regular

An explanation for the final episode is that the original airing, 73 minutes long, was never digitally remastered and that they used the footage from the remastered seperate episodes, but put some of the original footage from the original airing in. It is noticable in part three, when Diane and Sam return to the bar and Diane discuss her play with Carla, that the quality is lower than the rest of the episode, then it gets better when Sam walks out of his office, and worse again when Cliff starts discussing the top-secret project (this is where the Cheers intro is present in regular airings), and ultimatly good again (and for the rest of the episode).
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
FOLN@NFan
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to FOLN@NFan Send a message via AIM to FOLN@NFan Send a message via Yahoo to FOLN@NFan

The number of short opening themes surprised me. Is the reason to fit all the episodes on 4 DVD's??

Regarding the finale, I understand and notice now that you said something about the added scenes. But its still a shame. In fact, the ending credits are from Pt. 3 only!! (In the original airing, guest stars from all 3 parts were included and the recording was longer...so Mike Ditka, Kim Alexis, Reed, Kevin, etc...were not credited on the DVD!)
Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
drcrane
Frequent Poster

Default credits!

I don't own the dvd as of yet for season 11. But the ending credits were only after part 3. There weren't three sets of ending credits originally since it was part one expanded episode. The ending credits should be in white lettering and a dark background, approximately 40 seconds. Then they thanked everyone at the end for tuning in every Thursday night in white lettering. If it isn't like this on the dvd, then it was edited.
As for the short theme songs, most of the episodes do have the shorter version due to shorter episode run times. Most of the episodes run about 23:15-23:25 in the final season. I recorded quite a few episodes from this season, so they're original edits. I hope this answers your questions/concerns Foln@NFan
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
snowpeck
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to snowpeck Send a message via Yahoo to snowpeck

I also have several original broadcasts from season 11, (thanks to Todd, the webmaster here) and some of those have the short opening... so it wasn't done for the DVD. They actually aired with the short opening.

Greg
Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
snowpeck
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to snowpeck Send a message via Yahoo to snowpeck

BTW, The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago has releaunched its online video. The final Cheers and the "Last Call" special with Bob Costas are both there. Requries a free account to view the videos.

http://archives.museum.tv

Greg
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
FOLN@NFan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcrane
I don't own the dvd as of yet for season 11. But the ending credits were only after part 3. There weren't three sets of ending credits originally since it was part one expanded episode. The ending credits should be in white lettering and a dark background, approximately 40 seconds. Then they thanked everyone at the end for tuning in every Thursday night in white lettering. If it isn't like this on the dvd, then it was edited.

I know what you're saying, but I'm saying they did it wrong still.

I have (or used to have) the original finale ending theme of the 98-minute episode, which was 40 seconds, piano-only theme.

In syndication, Parts 1 and 2 had the normal bar-background and normal clarinet theme, but only had the cast from that specific part in those credits. Likewise, Part 3 had only the cast from that part, yet still had the all-black background and a piano-only theme. However, this piano-only theme is DIFFERENT from the original NBC airing, as it had less names to show, therefore was the standard 30-sec length.

Any other version that split the finale into 3 parts (including the remastered Nick at Nite airings) were split exactly the same.

Knowing, now, what zypherix explained (that the finale was remastered in the 3-part set, not the original 98-minute NBC airing), this would explain why on the DVD that the ending credits are the 30-second, black-background, Part-3-cast-only version...the 40-sec NBC credits have never been remastered!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
FOLN@NFan
Forum Regular

Very cool....you can see all the parts they left out of the DVD.

Also, the premire episode is a syndicated recording. interesting.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
FOLN@NFan
Forum Regular

And Rebecca and Sam kiss before she leaves (In the original version)!!
That makes Rebecca's exit so much better than what is shown in syndication/TV airings. it always seemed "empty" to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
BeatleMoe
Forum Regular

Default Final episode

I think all they did was splice in a few scenes from the original with the digitally remastered syndicated scenes, and this is unforgiveable. There aren't any music references either. Here's the video of missing scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKsXNo4Bxk

#1. LL Cool J being announced and Paul explaining that he moved his whole schedule around for Kim Alexis, then goes into the full theme song (0:28)
#2. After the first commercial (following the theme), the episode credits and announcement of the Ninja Turtles (0:15)
#3. When Frasier is grilling Sam about picking up and going to California, Sam explains that Diane's annoying habits don't bother him anymore, a pretty funny scene (0:41)
#4. Upon returning from the last commercial break, Sam explains where he got his cigars is cut (0:28)
#5. Sam kissing Rebecca at the end (0:34)
#6. Cliff talking about Hypocretes being barefoot in his shoe speech was cut (0:19)
#7. Carla makes a comment about the night turning into a pajama party right before the phone rings (0:10)
#8. The extended credits (0:10)
Footage wise, thats 3 minutes and 5 seconds missing. Replace the syndicated theme with the full theme, there's 3 minutes and 33 seconds cut from this episode.

I also noticed that on Rebecca Gaines, Rebecca Loses, Jackie Swanson is not credited in the episode, so I am to assume that the end credits are from the syndicated part 2.

Last edited by BeatleMoe : 02-02-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot the title
Old 02-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7

great stuff on that video!

http://www.myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
http://www.twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
http://www.youtube.com/svhwdwnut