Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #31
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

brian (san diego brian) made this post in 2004, and it sums up my sentiments on the matter.

Quote:
I have always been wanting to start a poll like this for months but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I am, this has to be said. I think there should be a rule against bumping up extremely old topics. By extremely old topics, I mean threads that are over six months old. Here's why I think there should be a rule.

1. People don't like to see their old posts. I don't know if everyone feels like this but I cringe whenever I see posts I made a long time ago. I know other members who have made posts in the past that they'd just as soon forget. There have been a few instances where some individuals bumped up an extremely old topic that I had replied in. I didn't like the replies even when I made them. I made some posts that I thought were right but then I later on realized that they were just dumb. Bottom line is, I never like seeing my old posts. When I see them now, it's like seeing posts from a completely different person. People change and I certainly have changed since I first registered. I know there are a lot of others who share that sentiment.

2. Why not start a new thread yourself instead of bumping it? I can see how some people don't like seeing a topic created shortly after a similar one was posted. Notice how I said "shortly." If it is a few days, to a few weeks, to even a month, I myself don't see a problem with people going back five pages to bump it up as opposed to creating a new one. But if it is over that time, especially over a year or two, then that is just pointless. A number of people who once posted at Chit Chat long (two or three years) before everyone today don't post here a lot nowadays or don't even come here at all. And what about the people who have responded to that thread that still post here? They've given their opinion already. I've noticed that whenever an old thread is bumped, there are hardly ever as many new posts made as the replies to the thread before it was bumped. So what's the point?

3. Nothing good comes of it. I've seen it happen every time. Whenever someone bumps up a thread, it only serves to piss other members off. When they see their old posts or find other topics being pushed down, it's going to cause a stir.

This is part of, if not the whole, reason many forums frown upon or have rules against bumping up extremely old topics. There's just some things that will irk other members and one of them is bumping up topics over a year old.

i think it should only be allowed in certain cases, like if someone has a relevant follow-up to something that they want to add.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #32
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

If people hate to see old posts they made so much, then they should just delete them. I've done that. Unfortunately you can't delete a post in a locked thread, but then just edit it to nothing.

I'm just saying that as a blanket statement...not really as a bumping up issue.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
What I don't understand is why all the complaining? I mean, would you guys mouth off to TJ or Pav if they said it? Janice is an admin too and deserves the same amount of respect.

Who cares what other sites do? It probably doesn't NEARLY have the amount of traffic this one does. I also belong to some other boards and one of them even refuses to bump up threads older than a month.
I agree Brian. I don't understand all the complaining. Janice asked everyone to stop bumping up 4 or 5 year old threads and that should be the end of it. Their's always been an unwritten rule here that old threads on CC are never bumped up like that. I belong to a board and they'll suspend you if you bump up old threads.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #34
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
What I don't understand is why all the complaining? I mean, would you guys mouth off to TJ or Pav if they said it? Janice is an admin too and deserves the same amount of respect.
i agree. i doubt there would have been smileys and sarcasm and arguments that it isn't a "real" rule if TJ had posted this. janice is more social with regular members than the other admins are, but that doesn't lessen her authority.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #35
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood Fan
Their's always been an unwritten rule here that old threads on CC are never bumped up like that.
exactly. this issue has been discussed for years. it's forgivable for newer members to not be aware, but all that comes out of bumping up old threads is controversy. that alone should be a reason to not do it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #36
MonarC
The truth will set you free

Oh No

Quote:

Who cares what other sites do? It probably doesn't NEARLY have the amount of traffic this one does. I also belong to some other boards and one of them even refuses to bump up threads older than a month.

Im not 'complaining' or 'mouthing off' at all. Nor have I disrespected anyone so Idk where that came from. All I was doing was giving my opinion and questing the thread that was made. This was a free country last time I checked. I guess I better go an check again to make sure... yep still free.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
exactly. this issue has been discussed for years. it's forgivable for newer members to not be aware, but all that comes out of bumping up old threads is controversy. that alone should be a reason to not do it.
I was never aware of it myself, but I haven't been here as long as some of you guys.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #38
Chocoholic
Banned!!
Forum Veteran
Banned

bump

Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #39
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I was never aware of it myself, but I haven't been here as long as some of you guys.
yeah, that's understandable. i don't think we've had this discussion since before you joined.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #40
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin
yeah, that's understandable. i don't think we've had this discussion since before you joined.
Thanks, Sarah. Honestly, everyone, I meant no harm.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #41
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Thanks, Sarah. Honestly, everyone, I meant no harm.

I can't believe I'm getting involved in this obviously very sensitive topic and I will probably regret it BUT if the above quote is true, then why did you then afterwards bump up about 10 old "Alice" TV show threads relating to episodes that aired sometimes that night....the time of day is shown when the thread is bumped up and it is after the above quote......?????

personally i don't care but if the administrator cares....well???????

Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #42
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
I can't believe I'm getting involved in this obviously very sensitive topic and I will probably regret it BUT if the above quote is true, then why did you then afterwards bump up about 10 old "Alice" TV show threads relating to episodes that aired sometimes that night....the time of day is shown when the thread is bumped up and it is after the above quote......?????

personally i don't care but if the administrator cares....well???????
Most of those threads were made in 2008...I don't think that qualifies as 5 years ago.

Last edited by catlover79 : 01-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #43
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

Like I said... It just makes more sense to start a new one than to bump up a REALLY old thread if THAT MUCH FREAKING TIME has elapsed. Really. Chances are that the OP either isn't posting or forgot they ever started the thread being bumped. THey're not going to care if you make a new thread.

I dunno about you guys, but I don't waste my time looking at old threads unless they're something ~epic~ from years ago that is probably already locked (see: ~epic~ fights that everybody wants to forget about because the whole thing is just so stupid, they've already buried their hatchets, etc). Even so, that's rare. And also even so, if I'm that desperate to post my opinion... I just go ahead and make a new thread. Read: which is RARELY EVER, I barely make new threads these days and I"m sure only a handful of them are based on old threads of yesterday, if at all.

For example. Let's say someone was to bump up Brian Damage's thread from November -- you know, the one about badmouthing people on other boards that turned into an epic thread with 600+ posts. You just don't do that. It's all been talked out, people have buried their hatchets, hell, people who posted in that thread aren't posting here now. And it was only two MONTHS ago when that thread was made.

Really. There shouldn't be any questions about bumping up old threads. I'm more than sure TJ has said something about this in the past before, because I've been here long enough. This board is VERY large and VERY populated and has way more relaxed rules than any other board that I visit. I'd have my head bitten off big-time if I decided I wanted to go on a thread-bumping spree on larger boards with more strict rules.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #44
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Can't we just make a statute of limitations about bumping up old threads? Say a year, two years? I think it would make things a bit easier for everyone if there were set in stone rules about it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #45
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarC
WOW! I had no idea this board was run by "old-timers". That explains a lot.

I had no idea I was gonna get singled out just cause I was bored and bumped up a few old threads. Is there any other "new rules" i should know about?
Nobody is singling you out. I made a general request. Since you singled yourself out, there was no need to bump up a five year old Rate the person above you thread, when there's a new one one the Games forum. I'm also sure you could find a newer, Missing members thread than one that is six years old.

Sure no big deal, you're bored so you bump up old threads, then tell the Administrator that the staff should delete the old threads if we don't want them bumped up. Try that at another large message board and see how far you get. Be sure you use your moderator gun smilies and pour on the sarcasm. It's common sense. Why bump up very old threads when you can simply start a new one. Yeah, I'm sure the original poster would be offended, if they're still a member. The old threads are there for viewing. Nobody wants them deleted. TJ has talked about archiving them, but who knows.

Next time you're bored, find another way to amuse yourself. This Chit Chat forum is my responsibility, and I don't want it looking like like it's 2002. Okay, got that. I guess I learned a lesson here. Next time I issue a request, I guess I have to lock the thread.

Closed Thread