Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #46
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinefizzy
Well, I forgot to tell you all this but the same exact day I put the African Queen out for sale I made Atticus Finch cake. It was a white cake mix with chocolate chips, buttercream frosting, chocolate sprinkles and a hug candy in the middle. An homage to who I think is the most influential fictional character of all time. Yep, call me Jim Crow.

I wont call you Jim Crow, I will call you a damn good cook. That cake sounds delicious. I want a piece
Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #47
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I dont dig the term African Ameircan because its not accurate. You can be white and be African American. A white person from Africa who moves to American is African American

In fact I hate labels period. Just call me a person

After all thats what we all are regarless of race. We are people, you dig

EXACTLY! Hey - if you want to go far enough back, we're ALL from Africa. We don't call black Canadians "African Canadian". It sounds ridiculous. We all know the history of how most blacks got to America. If anything, the term African American just keeps reminding us of it. It was a nasty time - who the hell wants to dwell on it 150 years later. Let's just move on and say no matter what the colour, if you're a citizen of the U.S., you're an Amercian - period.

(Besides, you could end up offending blacks who are from South America or the West Indies by calling them African American).

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #48
sunshinefizzy

Quote:
I wont call you Jim Crow, I will call you a damn good cook. That cake sounds delicious. I want a piece

Thank you very much. I would bake more and send it to you but I'm afraid it will get stale. However you can make it at home you just get a box of Duncan Hines White Cake, follow the directions on the box, add a bag of Hershey's mini morsel chocolate chips. Then you bake at 350 until the cake feels like a sponge when you touch it (it's the best way to know when it's done.) Then let it completley cool then put a jar of plain buttercream frosting, add sprinkles and the hug candy and there you go. Hope that helps with your cake craving.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #49
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripperFan
(Besides, you could end up offending blacks who are from South America or the West Indies by calling them African American).

Also, not all Africans are black. Would the children of a white South African or an Arab from Somalia be called "African American" if born here?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #50
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Same here - that cake sounds DELISH!!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #51
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by so elektrikkxx
Also, not all Africans are black. Would the children of a white South African or an Arab from Somalia be called "African American" if born here?

Pretty much. "African American" and "Black" should not be used interchangeably. If someone's gonna use AA, well then they should also be aware that they might also use it for someone who isn't dark skinned. And just because a "white" person is from Africa doesn't mean that they look different from Europeans or "normal" white people, either. This is a picture of African soap stars, and they sure don't look like what one would immediately assume Africans to look like...
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Pretty much. "African American" and "Black" should not be used interchangeably. If someone's gonna use AA, well then they should also be aware that they might also use it for someone who isn't dark skinned. And just because a "white" person is from Africa doesn't mean that they look different from Europeans or "normal" white people, either. This is a picture of African soap stars, and they sure don't look like what one would immediately assume Africans to look like...

what I find interesting is that what's considered black in this country may not be considered black in other places. there was this guy at my work from egypt who was offended when someone referred to him as black. he is black by american standards but i guess in his country, he looks like everyone else and they don't think about race there.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #53
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety pin

that's another instance of people treating the black race as if it's sacred, even if their intent is just to "prevent racism" rather than glorify blacks. blacks have to be treated with all this extra respect. they have to be referred to as "african americans" because "blacks" is totally degrading and offensive, but you can never describe an individual as being black or african american (only large groups), because that means that it's the only thing you notice about them, and therefore you're judging them, and therefore you're a racist.

it's the same way with other things too. according to society, women have to be treated with more respect than men. if, for example, people see a woman punching a man, they'll think "YOU GO GIRL! SHOW HIM WHO'S BOSS!" and if it's the other way around, they'll think "OMG DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!"

people are too sensitive about homophobia too, even though discrimination in this case is a widespread issue. if anyone merely states that gay marriage is wrong or that homosexuality is a choice, they get jumped all over and called a homophobic bigot, even if they said absolutely nothing about their opinion of gays. i've seen it happen on this board way too many times.

blacks are above whites, women are above men, and gay people are above straight people. so much for the "equality" that everyone claims to be aiming for. it's sickening.

EXACTLY!

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #54
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT

Don't you agree that if some blacks overheard someone saying African American to describe a white immigrant from South Africa (as you say, you don't expect them even to be blonde and sound close to Aussie's, but then again, that's their Dutch anestory to a large degree) you'd be taken aback at least at first? Some I think, would even think someone was mocking them - and then we're right back to offending someone. Hell - ya can't win. Let's just go by the generals - how offensive is it to say black, brown, white - that's what we all are if you're looking at us at a distance!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #55
Pusy Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
what I find interesting is that what's considered black in this country may not be considered black in other places. there was this guy at my work from egypt who was offended when someone referred to him as black. he is black by american standards but i guess in his country, he looks like everyone else and they don't think about race there.

I used to work with an East Indian guy who immigrated first to England, and then eventually Canada. He calls himself "brown". I know at lot who middle easterners who consider themselves "brown" since really, they are in between. I calls 'em as I sees 'em - you don't like it, I could call you a lot worse and it has nothing to do with colour. ;P
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #56
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

Quote:
Don't you agree that if some blacks overheard someone saying African American to describe a white immigrant from South Africa (as you say, you don't expect them even to be blonde and sound close to Aussie's, but then again, that's their Dutch anestory to a large degree) you'd be taken aback at least at first? Some I think, would even think someone was mocking them - and then we're right back to offending someone. Hell - ya can't win. Let's just go by the generals - how offensive is it to say black, brown, white - that's what we all are if you're looking at us at a distance!

I have heard African Americans (black) say that if you're not black, you're not really African, and they don't feel someone from South Africa who is white should be called an African American. While whites and Arabs may not be of ethnic African descent, I consider someone from Algeria who moves to America to be far more African American than someone whose ancestors have been here for generations, simply because they are actually FROM Africa themselves. African is an ethnicity not a race.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #57
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu Rogers
EXACTLY!
[I really should be quoting safety pin because I'm responding to what she said, but it's easier to just quote you because then I don't have to cut and bold and this and that]

But, you see, and I totally get where you're coming from, and I think it's messed up too, and I'm just putting this out there, but those urges to be superior to the majority aren't just coming from nowhere. Sure, people say they want equality, and in the long run, they do, but when you're a part of a long-oppressed group, you have this thing inside you that makes you wish that things could be opposite, if only for one minute of the day. I've been called bad names for both my race and my decision to not put a label on my sexuality, and the end game for me is for everyone to just let people be who they are. But, still, there's going to always be something in me...something that wants to feel superior to white people or superior to straight people. It doesn't mean that I feel like I am, or that I hate you, but that I wish that I could be a part of the "normal" group, which would entail being able to look down at the "inferior" group (which is not to say that all white, straight people look down on other races or sexualities). I want nothing more than equality for everyone in the world, but for me, there's also an undying desire to be on the other end of the way things are now. It's sort of a need for us to see that you know how we feel, to be shat on because of who we are. I guess for some people, that desire is greater than it is in others.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #58
JT

Quote:
I'm all for just using colors lol. I've yet to come across a black person who is offended by "black" as a description of them. The only way that becomes an insult is if it's used to describe a black person whose skin is really, really dark lol And that's totally done in jest, all the way. That's why some people like to call themselves "chocolate" or "caramel" or some lighter skinned people like "butterscotch." It's all done in good humor.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #59
JT

Quote:
I have heard African Americans (black) say that if you're not black, you're not really African, and they don't feel someone from South Africa who is white should be called an African American. While whites and Arabs may not be of ethnic African descent, I consider someone from Algeria who moves to America to be far more African American than someone whose ancestors have been here for generations, simply because they are actually FROM Africa themselves. African is an ethnicity not a race.
That's all about them seeing being black as being in some kind of an elite club that everybody wants to be a part of. That's just ridiculous crazy talk, there.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #60
so elektrikkxx
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
That's all about them seeing being black as being in some kind of an elite club that everybody wants to be a part of. That's just ridiculous crazy talk, there.

i agree.

on a related note, one of my good friends is black but she doesn't "act black", and other black girls she knows don't consider her black enough. as if there is a correct way to act based on race or background.